Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD (+POST P13): Newport County v Charlton Athletic: Tues 8th Aug 2023: (EFL Cup Rd 1)

1171819202123»

Comments

• Options
    The full match replay (audio & visual) is available on Charlton TV now for anyone who's interested in seeing how we played / new signings got on etc.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Does it matter who we would have played if we beat Newport, we did not, so what 🥴
    .."This is what you would have won...smashing, great, super"....🙄
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    The full match replay (audio & visual) is available on Charlton TV now for anyone who's interested in seeing how we played / new signings got on etc.
    Sadistic perhaps but with the game being a couple of days ago and knowing how the game pans out, I enjoyed watching the second half - the idea being to understand what went wrong but what I actually saw had a lot of good elements, largely until we got into the final third.

Glaring mistakes aside, I thought McGrandles and especially Taylor were the major positives in our play. Taylor really impressed me with his awareness, finding space to receive the ball and he played a number of classy passes - both long and short - that the front players should’ve done more with.

Payne and Kanu were disappointing. It seemed as if Payne’s first touch let him down any time he got near the ball around the Newport area - a couple of times he killed the momentum of an attack. Re: Kanu, although the chances he got near the end of the game weren’t easy, you can’t be blazing over twice in a row from only six yards out. You have to score at least one of those…

Anderson was very well contained but the Newport no. 8 (eventual MOTM) for the majority of the half - it’s debatable whether he was fouled in the build up to the first Newport goal. Anderson was booked for his protests.

Last player I want to comment on is Ness who has now had back to back games where he doesn’t look comfortable at all on the ball. His long range, while nothing to shout about, is serviceable but it’s when he’s trying to play short that is causing issues so far this season.

He would inexplicably underhit one and put McGrandles/Taylor under pressure and then over correct himself and then whack the next one way past Mitchell and into touch for a Newport throw-in. Someone needs to grab him and calm it down because I think there’s some new season nerves kicking in with him.

(Another thing, if Bristol City fancy terminating Palmer-Houlden’s loan at Newport and sending him to SE7, I wouldn’t complain. He looks set for a very decent season in League 2.)
  • Options
    Went with a neighbour who's a NC fan so sat with the drumming kids below us.
    We looked good first half, lots passing around but not much threat. Our goal was a surprise ( the players thought they were offside - ref checked too)
    Newport worked out at half time that Mitchell is pedestrian and midfield could be hustled off ball, they wanted it more. Taylor was assured initially then looked a liability.
    Payne does try - runs around ala Jonny Williams - not doing much.

Best team won on the day and the locals were ecstatic. Good run out & great to see team. 

Can't we put in a cheeky bid for Julian Alvarez😂

• Options
    Just got home, I am gonna reflect a bit more and then leave my comments on the game as I don't want to post with too much emotion behind it.

I wish more people would reflect before posting.

• Options
    I see Tony Keohane scored after two minutes for Stoke City this evening.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I see Tony Keohane scored after two minutes for Stoke City this evening.
    Hooray, he has gone. 😃
  • Options
    Doughty scored a screamer too. Do we have a domestic cups thread at all?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Doughty scored a screamer too. Do we have a domestic cups thread at all?
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/96241/carabao-cup-23-24