Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD (+POST P13): Newport County v Charlton Athletic: Tues 8th Aug 2023: (EFL Cup Rd 1)

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Just watched the goals. The problems we saw in pre-season are still there. All over the place defensively. Yes McGrandles got knocked off the ball too easily for the first, but what about the hospital ball from Hector in the first place? McGrandles had 3 blokes round him. 

The pissing around at the back was frightening similar to the nonsense seen under Garner.

Injuries mounting up again as well.

Same old same old.
    McGrandles had enough time there, he was simply unable to stop/control a slow moving ball.
    This is in addition to it being McGrandles who originally lost the ball in midfield.
    Hector's only fault was in assuming a team mate was capable of controlling a simple pass.
    Agree with this. 
    Pass was to McGrandles left foot so the first time pass into Kirk was on. 
    He scanned before Hector passes, seen the pressure then opened up into it, with a heavy touch to boot. Strange decision making. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Blucher said:
    A cracking away trip, save (as is so often the case) for the football, although my expectations for that were pretty low - albeit not as low as the depths plumbed during that diabolical second half. We met an old friend of mine who lives just outside Newport just before 1 o'clock and he took us around a number of very good pre-match pubs, all of which were excellent value - the Godfrey Morgan (Wetherspoons - so just over £2 a pint with CAMRA vouchers); Tiny Rebel (all beer £3 a pint Monday to Wednesdays); The Pen and Wig (two meals for the price of one); and The Little Tap House.

En route to the last pub, we checked into The Mercure Hotel, only to find that we'd been 'bumped' from the twin room which I had booked a month ago, doubtless because it had been given to the Charlton squad who were assembled in reception before walking over to the stadium. After firmly rejecting the offer of a sofa bed in a suite, the assistant manager eventually gave us a suite each at no additional cost. As I emphasised to her, it wasn't a case of "all our double rooms have been sold"; rather, the hotel had unilaterally given our room away - especially galling, as they'd been sending me emails almost daily  in advance, trying to flog their other services. Anyway, all's well that ends well.

As for the game, the less said the better. We played the first half in second gear, dominating possession without not doing a great deal with it. Kanu's goal looked to have given us a good platform but a catastrophic second half defensive performance did for us and, after Newport equalised, there was only ever likely to be one winner. No Charlton player emerged with any real credit and stand-ins like Isted, McGrandles, Payne and Kirk (the ultimate buck-passer) did themselves no favours whatsoever. In the end, we were deservedly well beaten by a poor but determined League 2 team. Going out of the League Cup is not the end of the world but the injuries - especially Campbell's - are worrying given the current lack of squad depth.

At least we were able to assuage our wounds with a couple of further post-match pints in Tiny Rebel. There was no sign of the players at breakfast this morning - they must have either gone home last night on the coach or left early this morning with their collective tail between their legs. A big improvement required and let's hope we can also get some quality through the door well before the end of the window.

It seems that you put more effort into having a drink yesterday than the players kicking a ball :)
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    A cracking away trip, save (as is so often the case) for the football, although my expectations for that were pretty low - albeit not as low as the depths plumbed during that diabolical second half. We met an old friend of mine who lives just outside Newport just before 1 o'clock and he took us around a number of very good pre-match pubs, all of which were excellent value - the Godfrey Morgan (Wetherspoons - so just over £2 a pint with CAMRA vouchers); Tiny Rebel (all beer £3 a pint Monday to Wednesdays); The Pen and Wig (two meals for the price of one); and The Little Tap House.

En route to the last pub, we checked into The Mercure Hotel, only to find that we'd been 'bumped' from the twin room which I had booked a month ago, doubtless because it had been given to the Charlton squad who were assembled in reception before walking over to the stadium. After firmly rejecting the offer of a sofa bed in a suite, the assistant manager eventually gave us a suite each at no additional cost. As I emphasised to her, it wasn't a case of "all our double rooms have been sold"; rather, the hotel had unilaterally given our room away - especially galling, as they'd been sending me emails almost daily  in advance, trying to flog their other services. Anyway, all's well that ends well.

As for the game, the less said the better. We played the first half in second gear, dominating possession without not doing a great deal with it. Kanu's goal looked to have given us a good platform but a catastrophic second half defensive performance did for us and, after Newport equalised, there was only ever likely to be one winner. No Charlton player emerged with any real credit and stand-ins like Isted, McGrandles, Payne and Kirk (the ultimate buck-passer) did themselves no favours whatsoever. In the end, we were deservedly well beaten by a poor but determined League 2 team. Going out of the League Cup is not the end of the world but the injuries - especially Campbell's - are worrying given the current lack of squad depth.

At least we were able to assuage our wounds with a couple of further post-match pints in Tiny Rebel. There was no sign of the players at breakfast this morning - they must have either gone home last night on the coach or left early this morning with their collective tail between their legs. A big improvement required and let's hope we can also get some quality through the door well before the end of the window.

It seems that you put more effort into having a drink yesterday than the players kicking a ball :)
    To be fair, it wouldn't be hard, given the feeble fare on display !

I suppose players who've been told they are surplus to requirements are going to be pretty concerned about avoiding injury in order to secure a loan. I didn't notice anyone shirking challenges, although that sort of consideration is likely to take the edge of some players' overall level of commitment and desire.
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    Blucher said:

To be fair, it wouldn't be hard, given the feeble fare on display !

I suppose players who've been told they are surplus to requirements are going to be pretty concerned about avoiding injury in order to secure a loan. I didn't notice anyone shirking challenges, although that sort of consideration is likely to take the edge of some players' overall level of commitment and desire.

Was Newport more easy on the eye at night time?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Ball number 4 vs ball number 20

Would’ve been drawn at home against Wimbledon
  • Options

Really, they got Chelsea away? We would have got Brentford at home if you subscribe to that theory (which I don't). 
  • Options
    timken said:
    Why "well done to those who travelled.They got on a train ,went in a pub watched a game of football came home.Well done to those who went to work instead of wasting time and money watching that shit
    7 hours stuck in a car in total.
    On way back M4 shut & diverted all over the shop for ages.
    Finally get back towards London and M25 shut.
    In the intervening time we had to spend 5 hours in Wales! 
    The most stressful drive home ever for me.

My phone died so I didn't have satnav, my built in satnav to my car was only showing the M25 route home. So I basically just zoomed out of the map as much as possible and went south. God knows how people managed to drive with just a map back in the day
    We went through Earls Court/Chelsea/Battersea/Clapham.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    timken said:
    Why "well done to those who travelled.They got on a train ,went in a pub watched a game of football came home.Well done to those who went to work instead of wasting time and money watching that shit

My phone died so I didn't have satnav, my built in satnav to my car was only showing the M25 route home. So I basically just zoomed out of the map as much as possible and went south. God knows how people managed to drive with just a map back in the day
    It was Gloucestershire, reading and some other places I've never heard of for me, expected journey time was 2h 57m and it took 4hr 53. 

There was an accident that was causing a lot of trouble as well. 

All good when you win and travel home, but that's now ManU and Newport back to back where the result hasn't been what we wanted and a long drive home haha, football ay
  • Options

Really, they got Chelsea away? We would have got Brentford at home if you subscribe to that theory (which I don't). 
    Yes really. Teams are ordered alphabetical (aside from ties not already decided which are placed at the end). 

Newport were ball number 10. If we had gone through, we’d be ball number 4. That would push every other team ball 4-9 in the actual draw down one position (Chelsea become ball 5 for example) until the team holding ball 9 (Luton) would replace Newport.

Other affected ties would’ve been…

Plymouth v Chelsea (not Plymouth v Palace)
    Gillingham v Fulham (not Luton v Gillingham)
    Exeter v Tottenham (not Fulham v Tottenham)
    Palace v Stevenage (not Exeter v Stevenage)
    Luton v Brentford (not Newport v Brentford)

• Options

Yes really. Teams are ordered alphabetical (aside from ties not already decided which are placed at the end). 

Newport were ball number 10. If we had gone through, we’d be ball number 4. That would push every other team ball 4-9 in the actual draw down one position (Chelsea become ball 5 for example) until the team holding ball 9 (Luton) would replace Newport.

Other affected ties would’ve been…

Plymouth v Chelsea (not Plymouth v Palace)
    Gillingham v Fulham (not Luton v Gillingham)
    Exeter v Tottenham (not Fulham v Tottenham)
    Palace v Stevenage (not Exeter v Stevenage)
    Luton v Brentford (not Newport v Brentford)

If if if! If the guy pulling the balls out needed a piss the draw would have been a minute later, and every draw would have been different... 
  • Options
    timken said:

It was Gloucestershire, reading and some other places I've never heard of for me, expected journey time was 2h 57m and it took 4hr 53. 

There was an accident that was causing a lot of trouble as well. 

All good when you win and travel home, but that's now ManU and Newport back to back where the result hasn't been what we wanted and a long drive home haha, football ay
    Bloody hell, we used sat nav & it took 3.5 hours. Back in Bromley 1.10am.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPhM7suwlSA

new vid up.

Some shots from the game, couple of interviews/chats with some fans and a bit of post match review at the end for anyone interested. :)
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    timken said:

Get a lighter thingy that gives you phone charge for in car , then get a YOSH magnetic thingy to click on to air vent need to put maGnet sticker thing on back of phone and then Use Waze app (if road closures reported and expected roadworks it’s usually pretty decent to navigate but it’s only as good as the info it’s been fed by users and the roadworks closures people) 

Disclaimer * I’ve used similar but search online and there’s loads of these things … you do have to put a magnetic sticker thingy on back of phone for it to work and not all come with it but they’re available .

these really are musts for driving to away games and anywhere !!

https://apps.apple.com/app/id323229106
  • Options
    This one doesn’t even need the magnet guff I don’t think 
  • Options
    timken said:

Get a lighter thingy that gives you phone charge for in car , then get a YOSH magnetic thingy to click on to air vent need to put maGnet sticker thing on back of phone and then Use Waze app (if road closures reported and expected roadworks it’s usually pretty decent to navigate but it’s only as good as the info it’s been fed by users and the roadworks closures people) 

Disclaimer * I’ve used similar but search online and there’s loads of these things … you do have to put a magnetic sticker thingy on back of phone for it to work and not all come with it but they’re available .

Funnily I got a Yosh magnetic car holder the other day, as my car doesn't have an infotainment system, and wanted something that allowed me to view Waze rather than just listen to the directions. 

Been really impressed with it since. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Being bigged up again. Let's hope he's as good on the pitch as the Twitter reviews of him. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    A couple of over hit corners 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Scoham said:
    Did well to create 6 chances from 2 corners :smile:
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    shirty5 said:
    Scoham said:
    Did well to create 6 chances from 2 corners :smile:
    Seen and noted 
  • Options
    And this is why stats are important but nothing can ever top actually watching the player.

I think he seems a decent player but he lost the ball a couple of times, was undercooking passes and just in general looked off the pace.

You read that and it looks like he has a decent game, his long balls were also pretty pointless as they didn't really amount to anything.

I would say the main positive seeing him in person was his physicality, he seems quite a strong lad and I was under the impression he was more on the Ben Reeves build side. He's not a player that gonna be brushed over like we have seen so many the last few seasons 
  • Options
    timken said:

Yeah I left my USB at home and my back up phone (cousins phone) he's away atm. Got there in the end but just proper crap 

Cheers though, reckon I'll deffo invest in a holder for my phone 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Does it matter who we would have played if we beat Newport, we did not, so what 🥴
  • Options
    By not having a centre forward. Our players tried to play out from the back.

Lesson learnt,we are not Manchester City.

There are times when you must clear your lines.

Newport is a good team. It was a bit of a disappointment