Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD (+POST P13): Newport County v Charlton Athletic: Tues 8th Aug 2023: (EFL Cup Rd 1)

Comments

• Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Said it before, we are a creative attacking midfielder short. Not sure Fraser is the answer or has the legs to go all season. 
    Need an Andy Reid or Barry Bannan. 
  • Options
    On the lack of quality in our squad players how much is down to the lack of strikers? Sounds like we played it around at the back a lot which isn’t surprising with Kanu and Kirk up front. You can’t go direct with those two up there which makes us predicable and a lot easier to defend against. Neither have something about them that really scares defenders.

For me we need two strikers and a right wing back. Strengthening elsewhere would be good to see but it’s those three that’ll make the biggest difference.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    The farting about is something Holden said he would stop. Often in play there is a simple ball that doesn't progress your position, it can even make it worse if the receiver is under more pressure than the passer, or the harder pass that can create opportunities. Mind you, you need your outlets. Fans can be a part of the problem when we groan at a pass gone wrong when we should try harder to see what is being attempted. This result has the potential to be helpful if there are the funds to address our issues.

I think it is telling that Holden played one joker (May) at 3-1 late on and didn't risk the other (CBT) who is more injury prone. We need a few more of these players who provide genuine goal threat. That will help the others. The priority has to be the striker to play with May. Only heard the commentary but Payne is a direct player who tries to make things happen and he would be low down on my list of players to leave as it stands. 
  • Options

No over reaction but is a sharp reminder if needed that we are still short on what we need to compete.

Need to move on a number of these players now to bring in the quality required. I would like Payne, DJ, Kirk, Mc, Egbo out and would like to see another CF, RWB, CM, CB at least.

• Options
    Did Chuks or the Jamaican fella get any minutes?
  • Options
  • Options
    The farting about is something Holden said he would stop. Often in play there is a simple ball that doesn't progress your position, it can even make it worse if the receiver is under more pressure than the passer, or the harder pass that can create opportunities. Mind you, you need your outlets. Fans can be a part of the problem when we groan at a pass gone wrong when we should try harder to see what is being attempted. This result has the potential to be helpful if there are the funds to address our issues.

I think it is telling that Holden played one joker (May) at 3-1 late on and didn't risk the other (CBT) who is more injury prone. We need a few more of these players who provide genuine goal threat. That will help the others. The priority has to be the striker to play with May. Only heard the commentary but Payne is a direct player who tries to make things happen and he would be low down on my list of players to leave as it stands. 
    By that stage we only had one sub change left, limiting our options 
  • Options
    It's just one game. Chalk it off. BUT, if come 5 o'clock Saturday we've been taught a lesson by the Posh boys, I reckon that would be a statement of our intent, or lack of! Beat Posh and a crap night in Wales will be forgotten. 
  • Options
    Bloody hell, that was some crap defending, also don’t think goalkeeper does himself any good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blessing in disguise. Focus on the league. Judge the start to the season after Saturday. If we've got 6 points in the league, happy days.
  • Options
    Blessing in disguise. Focus on the league. Judge the start to the season after Saturday. If we've got 6 points in the league, happy days.
    Going out early is never good news. The second round could be a money spinning game against a decent team. Or a chance to give minutes to squad players. We're FIVE days into the season.
  • Options
    I know playing teams that you should roll over its all about resting some & given others game time 
    But you still have to pick the right balance in the side to get the game won & that's down to the manager as his the one that works with them & should know what works & what don't 
    Last night it didn't & yea but no but don't cut it Let's hope its the rocket up the arse him & the players needed & makes us stronger going forward 
    Well done to all who travelled  B)
  • Options
    Going out early is never good news. The second round could be a money spinning game against a decent team. Or a chance to give minutes to squad players. We're FIVE days into the season.
    On the plus side though, a lot of the people who are upset about the loss are complaining that the squad players aren't good enough and should be shipped out, so giving them minutes is a bit of a wasted endeavour no?
  • Options
    On the plus side though, a lot of the people who are upset about the loss are complaining that the squad players aren't good enough and should be shipped out, so giving them minutes is a bit of a wasted endeavour no?
    I see the point being made, but conversely, this shows them up for what their standard really is. Playing against a standard lower than that of the league they are expected to play in, can say a lot about whether they are up to the task. I'm pretty sure it tells Holden a whole lot and this will aid his discussions with the purse holders. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I'm still optimistic and think we should keep McGrandles and Payne. Even Kirk if we can't sell him but I think we should try to. But we do need goals in the side and can't rely too much on a small pool of players who provide that. I think we might want a CB who can get the odd goal too. We definiely need another striker. If we get these signings right we will have a good season. I would have liked to go to Posh a bit later in the season. The player playing with May is a key position in a game like that and we won't have one by then. At this moment Kanu is probably our best bet to start.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Nothing like a good cup run!

And this was nothing like a good cup run……
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    clive said:

Got to question Hector on those second and third goals as well.
    Not for the third. He passed to Taylor (?) who had one option. Clear it! He didn’t. 
    Although I guess Hec could have put it out for a throw in. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Last season was a massive exception to the norm for us in this competition dont forget

Doesnt excuse the result or performances

But the last few decades have been littered so badly with results like last night, I'm surprised Extinction Rebellion didnt show up
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Said it before, we are a creative attacking midfielder short. Not sure Fraser is the answer or has the legs to go all season. 
    Luckily it's only 40mil to get Connor Gallagher back. C'mon Methven you know what to do  :confounded:
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    The picture on the link looks like Charlton play in a plan black top with Green trim around the neck and sleeves. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Just watched the highlights(didnt take long)My fears about Hector as a defender were confirmed.
    1)Goal 1 yes Mcgrandles should have done better,but Hector should have put that out and not give it to a player under pressure near our goal line.
    2)goal 2 The header by Ness was poor(Innis would have put that near the half way line)but Hector was nowhere near his man when the ball came in.
    3)Another pass by Hector to a man under pressure near his own penalty area,ball lost comes back,tap in.
    Yes I know we were lacking up front,but this poncing about is going to cost us dearly.If we dont liven up on saturday,I can see our goal difference taking a hammering.
    Can't blame a player for another players poor first touch.. Both times, they had time, if the first touch was good enough. Hector is a defender, that is going to look to play out. 

Maybe should have been tighter for the 3rd goal, but also think the keeper should have done better, went straight under him.

I agree the touches of the midfielders left a bit to be desired,but without wishing to be seen jumping on a players back early in the season,Hector does worry me.Against Aberdeen two of their goals were pull backs after Ness had been beaten,I thought he should have been tighter there.
    if we are to persist with the playing out system.it has to be done quicker.at the moment,teams are letting us have the ball and just dropping off.
  • Options
    We were fairly comfortable in the first half and certainly deserved to go in at half time with the lead. However, there was a strong tendency to overplay it; never using one pass when twenty six would do. The second half was closer and the threats to their goal were drying up. Once they scored, it seemed inevitable that they would score again.

Plus points, M4 westwards was clear as a bell, home in half an hour!
  • Options
    For anyone that went, apart from the slip how did Taylor look? 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Just watched the highlights(didnt take long)My fears about Hector as a defender were confirmed.
    1)Goal 1 yes Mcgrandles should have done better,but Hector should have put that out and not give it to a player under pressure near our goal line.
    2)goal 2 The header by Ness was poor(Innis would have put that near the half way line)but Hector was nowhere near his man when the ball came in.
    3)Another pass by Hector to a man under pressure near his own penalty area,ball lost comes back,tap in.
    Yes I know we were lacking up front,but this poncing about is going to cost us dearly.If we dont liven up on saturday,I can see our goal difference taking a hammering.
    Can't blame a player for another players poor first touch.. Both times, they had time, if the first touch was good enough. Hector is a defender, that is going to look to play out. 

Maybe should have been tighter for the 3rd goal, but also think the keeper should have done better, went straight under him.

I agree the touches of the midfielders left a bit to be desired,but without wishing to be seen jumping on a players back early in the season,Hector does worry me.Against Aberdeen two of their goals were pull backs after Ness had been beaten,I thought he should have been tighter there.
    if we are to persist with the playing out system.it has to be done quicker.at the moment,teams are letting us have the ball and just dropping off.
    Isted was bought on the back of a freakishly good display in the playoff final. You’ve gotta assume they look more closely than that. But he hasn’t look great for us so far. . 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    For anyone that went, apart from the slip how did Taylor look? 
    Not great. Looked a bit lost playing further forward to start with. Then when McGrandles went off he dropped back into his role and was a little better. Not a great debut but it is his first 45 minutes since February last season so can’t really judge him on it. Set piece delivery looked pretty good 
  • Options
    As I mentioned in the heat of all the general misery, recrimination, reflection and pure loyal optimism that is the CL match thread, last night.

I give this lot till the end of this window.  That will be the tell for me. I have been pleasantly surprised by the standard of incoming players this summer, however fit to play.  If we are busy and they do some good further business in and out, we may have a sniff at a good season. 

We all love or loathe Charlton Athletic at one point or another. I only want the best for this football club.  If the best turns out to be L1, then so be it, disapointed? Of course, but i am sick to the back teeth of chancers, the benefit of years means I can sniff em out. Always happy to be proved wrong, after all you cannot possibly know everything, that's what Google is for.

The clock is ticking owners.