Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread v3.0 - DONE! - Methven interview in the Telegraph (p55)

Comments

• DDOUBLEE said:
     Sorry but the halfway line should be in line with the stairs in the AC stand.
    Hate the fact you have pointed this out as it has sent my OCD into overdrive!
  • edited July 2023
    You know me, I ❤️ each and everyone of you.
    Pervert! ;)
  • DDOUBLEE said:
    Built the stand too far along.
  • Typical CL, barely a mention of football.
  • DDOUBLEE said:
    Thanks. I've seen this pic several times and nothing.  But now you've triggered my OCD!
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm not going to claim to be optimistic. Experience over the last 15 years or so makes me cynical about all owners who announce exciting-sounding plans. I'm going to need to see how things work out before I can consider being actually optimistic.

On the other hand: am I more optimistic now that I was when TS was in charge? God, yes. And TS himself was an improvement on what we had before.
  • Would be great to see the Curbs stand as a huge single tier structure. Something imposing.... and adding a wow factor in the future.
  • The only club who can Charltonize its owners. 
  • edited July 2023
    Happy to hear the deal is basically done and TS will be gone. I don't hate the guy, he certainly made a mess of running the club, but I don't think it was done intentionally and he did, therefore, at least clear the very low bar set by ESI 1 & 2. The Roland to ESI change of ownership should always be a stark reminder that, even if it is already bad, it can, and often does, still find a way to get worse. I don't think that's lost on many people and, for many, will be tempering any hope and excitement this new regime brings.

That being said, they are a new broom and we must hope they will make improvements. I have my reservations, but time will tell if I'm right or not. I thought TS was going to be good for us, and I got proven wrong about that.

I have a lot of sympathy with those who want to preach caution about what this new lot may be bringing or planning for the club but, nonetheless, I think those of a more trusting/optimistic persuasion should be allowed to enjoy this rare moment for optimism. It would be less antagonistic to allow those people to enjoy the moment for a few days and resist the urge to piss on everyone's chips - at least for the time being. 
  • So no overall control. Bit like steering a rudderless ship by committe.
    It's like a school - the "Head" oversees the teaching side, the bursar oversees the money side. 
  • Well done those who hounded out of CL @AirmanBrown - a man who knows more about CAFC than anyone else, and who is entitled to his opinion, as we all are - but this targeting of him today is a disgrace 

Anyway, give yourselves a pat on the back

Twats 
    Airman is a big boy. He’d make mincemeat out of most of us who post on here regarding Charlton. If he intends to back away that’s his choice. Trust me nobody would drive AB away if he wasn’t keen to go.
    He the only one who can confirm or deny what you have posted here

But how has this thread descended into ‘open season’ for some on Rick ??

It’s not on at all IMO

I’m willing to see how this takeover pans out, but, like Rick, I have been a Charlton for a very long time (since 1976 - me, not Rick), and I have lots of scars as a result, so I get his reservations

If any of those who have had a pop at him today can produce a book better than ‘Battle for the Valley’ or decades of VOTV - go on then, but you will fail

Shameful behaviour  
    Do me a favour with your 'shame'. He's a veteran local politician. Leader of Thanet. Skin thicker than a Rhinoceros.
  • I'm very skeptical about the long term from these new owners also. Like Airman Brown, I can't see how it works for them, but short term it's looking good as they're clearly ready to invest for this season and who knows, maybe the next. I also worry what happens when they realise its not stacking up financially. 

I felt much more positive when Sandgaard took over because he seemed to be willing to spend money for his passion of football, not for a return. And look how that turned out.

I guess just enjoy having a season where we might compete.
    I don't follow your logic.

Your assessment is based solely on what you think the new owner's motives are.  If TS was seriously minted and said he would fund Charlton for ever regardless of losses and never sell the club because he was passionate about football, we would all be positive I'm sure - but it didn't happen.

I was positive about TS, and had great hopes, probably because he saved us from extinction.  But on reflection, you can't ignore the fact he was a one man band whose wealth came from a single source and he could only fund Charlton buy selling shares in his own company - his children's inheritance. Illiquidity has caused TS to sell up, not a loss of passion.  He clearly wanted to make a profit, not a loss, but couldn't sustain losses over more than a couple of years.

That illiquidity is less of a risk if you have a number of investors with a significant combined wealth.  That's a plus for the new investors, if what we hear is true..

The new investors, according to CM, have simply got a long term horizon for a return on their investment.  To me that's more credible a statement than a 5 year horizon for Premiership and Champions League.  

For a wealthy investor making a small investment relative to his wealth he is not reliant on the success of that investment to keep him wealthy (for TS it clearly was).

As to not "seeing how it works" do you get how the National Lottery works? As I posted recently, it's all relative. Why do people buy a £2 lottery ticket with a 300 million:1  chance of success?  Losing £2 over one week is no different to losing £10m over ten years if you can afford to. Having to chase your investment with top ups is comparable to being addicted to buying a lottery ticket every week chasing your dream, when you don't win the previous week. 

What is said, and whether you believe what is said, are two different things.  At this stage there is no more reason to disbelieve what we are hearing via CM than disbelieve what TS said when he came on the scene and can't see why anyone thinksTS was more credible.
    You don't follow my logic, yet your logic is to compare it to the National Lottery?

On the National Lottery you can multiply your investment by literally millions of times by winning.

By taking Charlton to the premier league you could sell it for maybe 150 million? But losing 10m per year plus transfer fees it could feasibly cost in the region of 50-100 million if things go well.

Sorry, I don't follow the logic of your comparison?

My logic is that our best chance is someone, like John Berylson, who is willing to lose money on something he loves. At first I thought that was TS - it wasn't.
  • Sponsored links:

• I wrote a balanced, long, piece last week about the potential benefits and the potential pitfalls of the new regime.

It got 80 likes and a promote.

Only AFKA then removed the promote and closed down the old thread to stop people reading it.

That has caused this bickering and the blinkered views.

For that reason I'm out.

PS I also said last week that the takeover would be finally announced today, Thursday.
     Will yourself and Airman be starting a new forum?
  • For my 2 cents, this takeover could be good, could be bad. 
  • For my 2 cents, this takeover could be good, could be bad. 
    excuse me, entrenched views only on here thanks. 
  • Typical CL, barely a mention of football.
    I am the secret Moderator.
  • Major said:
    Well done those who hounded out of CL @AirmanBrown - a man who knows more about CAFC than anyone else, and who is entitled to his opinion, as we all are - but this targeting of him today is a disgrace 

Anyway, give yourselves a pat on the back

Twats 
    Airman is a big boy. He’d make mincemeat out of most of us who post on here regarding Charlton. If he intends to back away that’s his choice. Trust me nobody would drive AB away if he wasn’t keen to go.
    He the only one who can confirm or deny what you have posted here

But how has this thread descended into ‘open season’ for some on Rick ??

It’s not on at all IMO

I’m willing to see how this takeover pans out, but, like Rick, I have been a Charlton for a very long time (since 1976 - me, not Rick), and I have lots of scars as a result, so I get his reservations

If any of those who have had a pop at him today can produce a book better than ‘Battle for the Valley’ or decades of VOTV - go on then, but you will fail

Shameful behaviour  
    Do me a favour with your 'shame'. He's a veteran local politician. Leader of Thanet. Skin thicker than a Rhinoceros.
     Not a fan of @Airman Brown then?!
  • It’s been very dark for some time now.

I've been numb for years.  

I doubt that will change.