Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread v3.0 - DONE! - Methven interview in the Telegraph (p55)

Comments

• AFKA, I bet you are sorry you opened this thread now, just close it and open a new one when the new owners declare all the information we are waiting for, before anymore unnecessary comments to other Charlton fans 😁
  • And where have I ignored his view? I haven't ignored it in the slightest, I'm asking for clarification on it because all I see is dismissive comments about the new regime with no context. I want to understand what exactly is so bad about them in particular and who, if anyone, would actually be better for the job of steering us back to the promised land, here and now. 

I have literally no answers, are you reading what I'm saying? 

I'm 32 and already have many a grey hair thanks, so that's an irrelevant comment. 

Anyway, for the benefit of seemingly everyone on here I'm having a surgery at 7am (on a bum knee, see not so young sounding now am I?!) and won't be posting for a day or so. 

Once again, Up The Addicks, regardless of what you think about the past, present and future running of the club
  • ross1 said:
    AFKA, I bet you are sorry you opened this thread now, just close it and open a new one when the new owners declare all the information we are waiting for, before anymore unnecessary comments to other Charlton fans 😁
    This.....
    Should have been closed already...takeover is done after all
  • Ok then, Methven interview ready to go.

Inevitably the interview and the motivations behind it are already being slagged off in certain quarters in the usual style, so I'm posting as a reminder the original intro article which explains that this was all CM's own initiative, The link to the main article is at the bottom of that one. When you get to it, you'll see the  banner image is a mess, bear with us, I may need techie help with that.

I think the main benefit is an insight into how the structure will work (assuming he is still able to speak for all significant consortium members). There's more than will be possible to put into a club PR statement even if they wanted to. But there were interesting things he asked to keep off the record, and other things we had no time for, such as the future of the real estate. As you will see, he really wanted to talk about him at Sunderland which I managed to avoid until we got to the end of the designated running time, and Zoom terminated that abruptly :)

Looking forward to see what people make of it
    Thanks Prague - interesting.

I guess my more emotional reaction is one of mild disappointment although I'm not sure what else I was expecting. Maybe it's because a lot of this has leaked already and I was hoping for something extra. Maybe I was hoping for a clearer statement of ambitious intent but, again, that is probably an unrealistic expectation. The rest of this transfer window and the next will tell us more.

My head has some concerns:

- I'm worried that there will be no one Head of Charlton - we'll have Rodwell, Scott and Warwick all having seemingly equal status but potentially different visions, missions, objectives - whatever you want to call it - with great potential for core disagreements - who pulls the whole thing together? CM paints a picture of himself as some sort of Walsingham type character whispering in the investor's ears which, again, has the potential for major disruption going forward

- Would like to know a LOT more about Global Football Partners Ltd. Is this just a CAFC vehicle or does it have a wider remit and where does CAFC fit into it?

- CM himself says that GB & JF's investments are relatively small beer for them so that would make it very easy for these individuals to walk away yet I guess we are hugely/solely reliant on them to fund short/medium term losses.

So, my jury is still out, partly driven by our painful experiences in recent years. I'm not in the Airman camp of saying it will fail but I would want to understand a lot more before I adorn my bedroom with Gabriel Brener/Josh Friedman duvets and pillows. 

It would be helpful to understand what people think “success” looks like.

I think for the vast majority of us success would be building a squad capable of a minimum top 6 finish this year, with the aim to get promoted next year if we don't win the play offs this season. Once promoted, steady and intelligent investment to establish us as a Championship team with an outside shot at the playoffs over the few years after that.

If we can do the above whilst attaining category one status for the academy I think that is a very successful 4-5 years of ownership without needing gamble astronomical sums.

I know it sounds easy written down and no doubt there will be big challenges along the way to achieve it, but having at the right senior management team in place and astute investment in the playing side should make it a real possibility.
    Sounds fine but will probably require, shall we say, £100m net investment?
     Blimey o Reilly!

To get promoted and Bob along in the championship for a bit? I very much doubt that.

Luton stuck it in a credit card didn't they?!

Can you be my accountant!  ;-)
    How much do you think it costs a year to keep us “bobbing along” in League One?

I honestly think a sizeable proportion of our fan base have no clue what a money pit this club is. 
  • sam3110 said:
    Ok but why is Varney better than the new lot @Airman Brown you still haven't answered that.

Is it because he is a lifelong CAFC fan, like his Dad?
    Or because as CEO 1997-2008 he grew turnover from £4m to £42m? Launched Valley Express, Target 10,000, Kid for a Quid, Valley Gold, developed and expanded the Valley repeatedly, selling out at every step until we had a full house 27,000 Premiership Stadium? Did I mention over-seeing set-up and development of CACT? Oh, and he returned as Exec Vice Chairman in 2011, recruited Chris Powell and got backing for him to win promotion with 101 points?
    Yeah but what have the Romans ever done for us ?
  • edited July 2023
  • edited July 2023
    Fumbluff said:
    sam3110 said:
    Ok but why is Varney better than the new lot @Airman Brown you still haven't answered that.

Is it because he is a lifelong CAFC fan, like his Dad?
    Or because as CEO 1997-2008 he grew turnover from £4m to £42m? Launched Valley Express, Target 10,000, Kid for a Quid, Valley Gold, developed and expanded the Valley repeatedly, selling out at every step until we had a full house 27,000 Premiership Stadium? Did I mention over-seeing set-up and development of CACT? Oh, and he returned as Exec Vice Chairman in 2011, recruited Chris Powell and got backing for him to win promotion with 101 points?
    Yeah but what have the Romans ever done for us ?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc7HmhrgTuQ

A little light relief...😉
  • Sponsored links:

• I want to try and not be excited, because every other takeover I've got excited about has ended in shambles. But I can't help being excited by the thought that this could be the one that's finally good because eventually one of them has to work out and not be some mad experiment or a group that actually has no funds and charges the club for haircuts and Range Rovers.

Now I do have some red flags and qualms - Gabriel Breners running of the Houston Dynamo doesn't seem to have been very popular and I wait to see who the other investors actually are and how it's all set up - it would be a nice start if they were completely transparent from the get go in terms of the make up of the consortium but I doubt that somewhat beyond who's going to be on the board.

Just hope Holden gets the proper backing to put together a proper tilt at promotion, this feels like the best year to do it with a few sides recovering from points deductions. 
  • Last post
  • Time to stick a fork in this thread. This should be a good day for the club - the news we wanted that the EFL/FA have nodded through the purchase means we just have the legal technicalities to navigate yet all day we've had a continuous argument about what will happen. 

Let's see what the new owners bring to the table and not jump to conclusions. For sure we've had some bad owners over the last decade - some of them (Slater/Jimenez and ESI) didn't have any money of their own, others (RD) had money but didn't want to spend it while TS spent his money unwisely. To quote Henry Ford though, history is bunk. Just because we've had spivs, Walter Mitty types and well meaning people who've suffered a reality check as owners doesn't necessarily mean that the new set of owners are going to be just as bad. Sometimes new owners are good owners. I doubt you'll find any Wrexham fans unhappy at their owners. 

At least SE7 Partners seem to have access to their own money and the players we've brought in look to be an improvement on what we had and that suggests they understand the importance of spending money to attract the right player. 

We've still got three weeks to the season kicking off and a further three weeks to the transfer window shutting. We'll have a few clues by then whether these guys know what they are doing or are going to bluff, bluster and bullshit us. 

Let's keep an open mind until then, what else can we do? 

• Last post
  • edited July 2023
    ...... Who's Ric Flair
  • Last post
  • Sponsored links:

• MarcusH26 said:
    I don't know if it's just me not looking in the right places but I saw it mentioned in the Dossier interview with Methven that Joshua Friedman had previous football ownership experience but I can't find anything to back this up? Was he a minority owner of the Houston Dynamo with Brener or something?

Sorry if I'm missing something really obvious. 
    Found this from a quick google search https://www.houstondynamofc.com/club/ownership/gabriel-brener

Have you seen the fans forum ? There was a link posted on here recently but I don't have the time (& can't be bothered) to look for it & on the previous takeover thread there was a fuller version. Brener is absolutely hated by the fans of Houston Dynamo, hopefully somebody can post a link.
  • The number of 'you know', 'sort of', 'kinda' from Methven is more than tiresome to read!
  • Just back from M&S checking out their salmon trousers to join in with Charlie boy's gang. Is this the right shade?. There might be discount for volume 😉
  • edited July 2023
    Chill the fudge out everyone. 

It's weird ...{meaning unique}... The reaction to both airman's post and the relatively tiny delay to conclude legal procedures.

It all looks set to settle and we'll see what happens. It's got to be better than the last 13 years
  • Ok let’s all agree with people being skeptical. 
  • You know me, I ❤️ each and everyone of you.