Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread v3.0 - DONE! - Methven interview in the Telegraph (p55)

Comments

• edited July 2023
    I in no way intended to spark a pile-on on Airman, I probably should have expanded my original point.

Obviously forewarned is fore-armed, and it's a vital roll that Airman has done diligently for a long time. I know I personally appreciate everything he has done and continues to do.

I guess my issue is not that he's warning things are going to be shit, odds are they will be, so I guess we all cherish the brief period between getting rid of the last shit owner and the next one demonstrating how shit they are.

To add to that, I think it would be very different if it was a case of "new owners are going to be shite, here's the why and here's at least some idea on how we can combat it". Just saying "new owners == more of the same shite" doesn't achieve anything beyond getting people's backs up and yet a another retreading of the grumps Vs rose tinted, and the activist fan Vs the "I just want to watch football on a Saturday".

At the moment I'm cautiously optimistic, I have to be, the alternative is to just give up. 
  • sam3110 said:
    Ok but why is Varney better than the new lot @Airman Brown you still haven't answered that.

Is it because he is a lifelong CAFC fan, like his Dad?
    Or because as CEO 1997-2008 he grew turnover from £4m to £42m? Launched Valley Express, Target 10,000, Kid for a Quid, Valley Gold, developed and expanded the Valley repeatedly, selling out at every step until we had a full house 27,000 Premiership Stadium? Did I mention over-seeing set-up and development of CACT? Oh, and he returned as Exec Vice Chairman in 2011, recruited Chris Powell and got backing for him to win promotion with 101 points?
    Curbs for manager and Darren Bent up front then next season yeah? 

Did any of that cost money? I presume so.

Was the club profitable back then? 

Was football as a whole a complete basket case like it is now, 20-25 years ago? 

Does turnover mean anything at that time when turnover in football as a whole was growing exponentially as a result of increasing sponsorship, TV Rights deals and money overall coming into the sport? Arguably he orchestrated us losing our premiership status at the worst possible time, with the big bucks coming into the sport the very next season, with us having never recovered from that, but we'll gloss over that part of the story I guess
  • sam3110 said:
    You see the more I read posts from Airman, the more I dismiss it. Sorry but it just comes across as bitter old man angry at everything. 

I get it, I really do, you know more than almost everyone on here about the plight our club has been through, and the huge amount of work put in to get us back to our home and The Valley Party doesn't go away, and I'd like to think is appreciated by all connected to our great club, but at the same time it's starting to look like you have a vendetta against. ANY new group of people coming in. 

Riddle me this, if this lot weren't here and PV and his backers took over.... What would be different? Wouldn't they have to try and find a bottomless pit of money and spend "£100m" too? What makes you so sure that they would be successful in that? I look forward to your answers, and until then, paint you as an angry old man clouded by the mists of the past
    So which of the owners from RD, ESI all versions and TS were you happy with?
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:
    Ok but why is Varney better than the new lot @Airman Brown you still haven't answered that.

What makes you so adamant that they'll be a failure and Varney a success?

How much would Varney have pumped into the club over the next 5 seasons? 

You seem to have an inside track to him and his supposed backers, perhaps you can put out an interview with him like Prague did with CM? 

Like it's been said before you seem very dismissive of anyone and anything that doesn't align with your viewpoint, and hark back to old ownership regimes as apparent evidence that CM & co won't do well. Surely we can tar PV with the same brush if he became owner, based on the previous owners too?

Curious post since PV isn’t an owner, never has been one and has never aspired to be one, because obviously he doesn’t have the funds.
    I think you know exactly what he meant. 
  • sam3110 said:

Or because as CEO 1997-2008 he grew turnover from £4m to £42m? Launched Valley Express, Target 10,000, Kid for a Quid, Valley Gold, developed and expanded the Valley repeatedly, selling out at every step until we had a full house 27,000 Premiership Stadium? Did I mention over-seeing set-up and development of CACT? Oh, and he returned as Exec Vice Chairman in 2011, recruited Chris Powell and got backing for him to win promotion with 101 points?
    Yeah but apart from that he’s no better than Southall right? 
  • People get so personal on these forums, it’s actually depressing. Can’t imagine grown adults would ever bicker like this in person but behind a screen they seem to lose consciousness that they’re discussing things with another human being.

Having different opinions is fine but honestly the personal stuff on this forum is deranged and worse than kids in a playground. 

There’s a lot of value from some of the comments on CL but the amount of toxicity really makes me question my sanity in reading and posting anything on here.
    Exactly.  It's becoming embarrassing. 
  • sam3110 said:

Other than that though what good did he do for Charlton?
  • edited July 2023
    sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:

Curbs for manager and Darren Bent up front then next season yeah? 

Did any of that cost money? I presume so.

Was the club profitable back then? 

Was football as a whole a complete basket case like it is now, 20-25 years ago? 

Does turnover mean anything at that time when turnover in football as a whole was growing exponentially as a result of increasing sponsorship, TV Rights deals and money overall coming into the sport? Arguably he orchestrated us losing our premiership status at the worst possible time, with the big bucks coming into the sport the very next season, with us having never recovered from that, but we'll gloss over that part of the story I guess
    What part of what Cardinal said is wrong then Sam? 
  • Many thanks @PragueAddick and the dossier team it was worth the wait to read that and having done so, aligned with our transfer activity so far this pre-season there does seem to be some hope to hold on to that maybe this new group can get it right.

My only caution is CM while saying all the right things, does seem to have said what we all wanted to hear which you can interpret that as both a positive if he's genuine with his words or as a negative if people feel he's just taken his research from here and told us all what we wanted to hear to get us onside. Personally I am on the optimistic side based on our transfer activity so far this summer and with the names that pop up as reported targets in the rumours thread.

Not sure who is putting the money in exactly although with Bremer and Friedman you would assume them to be putting in the most as it appears they have the highest stake between them. If it seems they're happy to fund the losses because it won't make a dent in there pockets then again there has to be caution if we find ourselves still in league one in a couple of seasons could they turn off the money tap just as easy if they lose interest in the project and maybe find ourselves in another Slater/Jimenez etc situation.

So as simple as it sounds, we really do need results on the pitch for this ownership to work, for all his faults on Netflix I do think CM will like to think he can execute a plan to make this project work and I do feel a top six finish is achievable even with CM on board.

At present all we can really see is we are clearly shopping for better players than we have done the last two pre-seasons, and equally i'm not too sure what else this group can have done at present, only time will tell, I am personally optimistic but also remain cautious of supporting previous incoming owners but also shouldn't be a reason to doubt new owners.
  • Sponsored links:

• Well done those who hounded out of CL @AirmanBrown - a man who knows more about CAFC than anyone else, and who is entitled to his opinion, as we all are - but this targeting of him today is a disgrace 

Anyway, give yourselves a pat on the back

Twats 
    Agreed, don't have to agree with Airman's views but some of the words being exchanged back and forth at him and also by him made for somewhat uncomfortable reading just because he's not taken the majority view on here.
  • sam3110 said:

But… as excellent as PV was surely we need to recognise that there may be other people out there who could be good?  Maybe not better, but I’d settle for good.  Or are we so cursed we will only ever have one decent owner/CEO/chairman?
  • We should also not discount the possibility that they could get lucky. Nobody has been able to explain convicingly why Ipswich was purchased but in the short term it has worked out for them. If this lot are not the real deal, it will become clear sooner or later and as we can't do anything one way or the other at this stage so we might as well look on it with some Positive expectation and be ready to call it out if it goes the way of other recent owners.
  • I don’t but this “oversold” viewpoint. Nobody with money would just take the words of anyone else without taking out some due diligence. TS for all his faults I don’t think was stupid enough to not realise the true costs when he set out. He actually spent good money for league one on players but the money was spent badly. He lost interest once his misses was binned out and all the negativity started due tightly to his running of things. This mob won’t have be going into this blindly unaware of potential costs. There will be agreed budgets set the difficulties will come when a
  • sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:

What makes you so adamant that they'll be a failure and Varney a success?

How much would Varney have pumped into the club over the next 5 seasons? 

You seem to have an inside track to him and his supposed backers, perhaps you can put out an interview with him like Prague did with CM? 

Like it's been said before you seem very dismissive of anyone and anything that doesn't align with your viewpoint, and hark back to old ownership regimes as apparent evidence that CM & co won't do well. Surely we can tar PV with the same brush if he became owner, based on the previous owners too?

Curious post since PV isn’t an owner, never has been one and has never aspired to be one, because obviously he doesn’t have the funds.
    Skirting the question again, I use Varney's name as he would appear to be the frontman for investors that haven't been named at this point. If you want, re-read the questions and insert "Varney's moneymen" wherever you see "Varney"

I suspect you don't actually know who they are and therefore cannot be certain they would be more successful than CM & his army of backers, but because they are different to what you want/hope for, you are all too eager to post disparaging comments about them and their chances of making it work. 
    We’re not at this point talking about any other investors or any proposed offer involving PV. You and others can’t imagine that I have a view based on anything else, but I didn’t introduce his name to this thread.

I’ve no intention of posting on here regularly in future. It’s entirely possible that I’ve become too cynical because of the demoralising experience we’ve had with four successive ownerships, but I do know a bit about how the business works and doesn’t work from 30 plus years of studying and writing about it and 14 of working in it. Other perspectives are no doubt available. We also have the experience of January, which was insightful if not conclusive. 

I’ve got my season ticket and I’ll always be there, but I find myself less and less able to take seriously the opportunists who rock up at our club pretending to care about it.
    Well said on the last 2 paras.  That is what I mean, I think you’ve been so worn down (as have a lot of us) that the cynicism blots out the chance of any positive comments.

My ST hasn’t arrived yet, but has been bought, and I’ll be at as many home and away as any other season.  If the owners need ‘direction’ they’ll get it, but for now, COYA!