Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread v3.0 - DONE! - Methven interview in the Telegraph (p55)

Comments

• ButtleJR said:
    Christ Airman, how about an ounce of positivity for once?
    See also Spivs, Duchatelet, Southall and Sandgaard. It’s always the same - why don’t we just discount the evidence and pose for selfies? Anyone who doesn’t is “negative”. Then people are surprised when it all turns to shit. 

If it doesn’t appear to stack up, the chances are it won’t. I’m just asking the questions.
    What doesn't add up? Sometimes I feel that unless it's your mate varney being involved it's automatically bad.

Other owners with different business models and ideas to what you are used to, can actually work.
    Fifth time lucky then. 
    so because the last 4 have been bad, these owners automatically are? I don't think you will find anyone one here who would defend any of the previous owners but why the negative attitude against the new lot, why are they being tarred with the same brush?

Because of the previous owners, I'm a little apprehensive but i'm open for them to prove themselves.  You had them written off as bad and as failures back in January. I'm not sure if you know something that you cant share, or as I said earlier, anyone non Peter Varney automatically gets treated with hatred.  I suspect it to be the latter
  • Ok then, Methven interview ready to go.

Inevitably the interview and the motivations behind it are already being slagged off in certain quarters in the usual style, so I'm posting as a reminder the original intro article which explains that this was all CM's own initiative, The link to the main article is at the bottom of that one. When you get to it, you'll see the  banner image is a mess, bear with us, I may need techie help with that.

I think the main benefit is an insight into how the structure will work (assuming he is still able to speak for all significant consortium members). There's more than will be possible to put into a club PR statement even if they wanted to. But there were interesting things he asked to keep off the record, and other things we had no time for, such as the future of the real estate. As you will see, he really wanted to talk about him at Sunderland which I managed to avoid until we got to the end of the designated running time, and Zoom terminated that abruptly :)

Looking forward to see what people make of it
    Thanks Prague - interesting.

I guess my more emotional reaction is one of mild disappointment although I'm not sure what else I was expecting. Maybe it's because a lot of this has leaked already and I was hoping for something extra. Maybe I was hoping for a clearer statement of ambitious intent but, again, that is probably an unrealistic expectation. The rest of this transfer window and the next will tell us more.

My head has some concerns:

- I'm worried that there will be no one Head of Charlton - we'll have Rodwell, Scott and Warwick all having seemingly equal status but potentially different visions, missions, objectives - whatever you want to call it - with great potential for core disagreements - who pulls the whole thing together? CM paints a picture of himself as some sort of Walsingham type character whispering in the investor's ears which, again, has the potential for major disruption going forward

- Would like to know a LOT more about Global Football Partners Ltd. Is this just a CAFC vehicle or does it have a wider remit and where does CAFC fit into it?

- CM himself says that GB & JF's investments are relatively small beer for them so that would make it very easy for these individuals to walk away yet I guess we are hugely/solely reliant on them to fund short/medium term losses.

So, my jury is still out, partly driven by our painful experiences in recent years. I'm not in the Airman camp of saying it will fail but I would want to understand a lot more before I adorn my bedroom with Gabriel Brener/Josh Friedman duvets and pillows. 

It would be helpful to understand what people think “success” looks like.

I think for the vast majority of us success would be building a squad capable of a minimum top 6 finish this year, with the aim to get promoted next year if we don't win the play offs this season. Once promoted, steady and intelligent investment to establish us as a Championship team with an outside shot at the playoffs over the few years after that.

If we can do the above whilst attaining category one status for the academy I think that is a very successful 4-5 years of ownership without needing gamble astronomical sums.

I know it sounds easy written down and no doubt there will be big challenges along the way to achieve it, but having at the right senior management team in place and astute investment in the playing side should make it a real possibility.
    Sounds fine but will probably require, shall we say, £100m net investment?
    Wouldn’t that be the same for whoever bought the club be that SE7 or one of the other mystery suitors you’ve mentioned previously ? Sounds a tad high to me but probably close if you’re doing that over and above a five year timescale. 
  • Another day has nearly gone past for this thread. Afka looking increasingly more and more like a mug. Dubai has a lot to answer for. Wonder how Caws feels down at south London press hq? 
  • Early morning in America, Karim_myBagheri said:
    Another day has nearly gone past for this thread. Afka looking increasingly more and more like a mug. Dubai has a lot to answer for. Wonder how Caws feels down at south London press hq? 

• seth plum said:
    shine166 said:
    seth plum said:
    What about making a return on everything by asset stripping (players) and then walking away?
    Is it possible in business to do that?
    If you have assets yes, but that's different to a flip.. also a flip is short term and not over years. Considering the amount of people supposedly involved, id have thought there are far easier ways to make money than asset stripping CAFC.
    What about gambling on success, not making money, so asset stripping to make the losses less bad?
    Sometimes I get two Euromillions lucky dips for £5, and occasionally will get a ‘winning’ return of £3.70 or suchlike.
    Seth. I think I’m right in saying that even if some of your worst fears are realised, that you like me would continue to support the club or what’s left of it. I’d suspect you’d be willing to support a “phoenix club” if that were the eventual outcome ? What you’re seemingly worried about is way way way beyond the control of any of us and to be honest it’s probably highly unlikely. Why not draw a line under what’s a fait accompli and just enjoy the ride. Up, down or sideways you’ll be here caring regardless. Quite how you haven't given yourself an ulcer is beyond me. Forget what you can’t control and just support the shirt for a bit. 
    It’s always been “way beyond the control of any of us”, from the Glikstens onward. It doesn’t stop us exerting influence collectively and sometimes that influence has been decisive. I really, really detest the just “support the shirt” crap - it’s what people said when we moved to Selhurst. 
    Agree, if everyone just turned up to 'support the shirt' regardless of the shoddy work of an owner, said owner can just shrug and think "I can do whatever I want with this club and the mugs still turn up and pay their money to watch". 
  • Sponsored links:

• ButtleJR said:
    See also Spivs, Duchatelet, Southall and Sandgaard. It’s always the same - why don’t we just discount the evidence and pose for selfies? Anyone who doesn’t is “negative”. Then people are surprised when it all turns to shit. 

If it doesn’t appear to stack up, the chances are it won’t. I’m just asking the questions.

It's not a case of discounting evidence, or being surprised, or not willing to ask the questions. The vast majority of us are just normal fans, we have zero control over the ownerships of the club, or how it's run. The means when new owners come in we really only have 2 choices, be positive and hope for the best, or walk away.

The third option is accept it's going to be a shit and waste or time and money suffering week after week, an unhealthy and masochistic choice.

That being the case most of us choose to hope for the best and continue to support the club season after season. I don't think anybody has the right to judge us for that, not to be surprised when we don't want to hear an unending list of negatives. We've made our choice, we don't need the choice questioned over and over again.
    I think it’s those who object to the questions being asked who are the issue. Being disengaged with the situation off the pitch is an option for all of us and a perfectly reasonable choice.
    Questions are being asked before they have even step foot in the door though?

Think majority of us have some relative scepticism about any new owners but like it or not, they need to be given a chance before a witch hunt starts.  
    So questions are not allowed then. Thanks for clarifying.
    No one said questions so the childish answer isnt warranted. All I said is that there being asked before TS name has been taken off the door.

Things will come out in the wash sooner or later if thats the case but maybe...just maybe...we end up with owners who do what they think is best who make the odd mistake here and there.

• I think for the vast majority of us success would be building a squad capable of a minimum top 6 finish this year, with the aim to get promoted next year if we don't win the play offs this season. Once promoted, steady and intelligent investment to establish us as a Championship team with an outside shot at the playoffs over the few years after that.

If we can do the above whilst attaining category one status for the academy I think that is a very successful 4-5 years of ownership without needing gamble astronomical sums.

I know it sounds easy written down and no doubt there will be big challenges along the way to achieve it, but having at the right senior management team in place and astute investment in the playing side should make it a real possibility.
    Is that how much Plymouth have spent on the last two seasons?

Are Plymouth an established Championship side with a Category One academy? Because those were the metrics in the post Airman was replying to.
  • Gillis said:

I think for the vast majority of us success would be building a squad capable of a minimum top 6 finish this year, with the aim to get promoted next year if we don't win the play offs this season. Once promoted, steady and intelligent investment to establish us as a Championship team with an outside shot at the playoffs over the few years after that.

Are Plymouth an established Championship side with a Category One academy? Because those were the metrics in the post Airman was replying to.
    Okay, I apologies. Substitute Plymouth and add Luton, Coventry, Rotherham, Birmingham. Shall I carry on?
  • edited July 2023
    ButtleJR said:

Then we might as well close the club, nothing stacks up, if they buy the assets would that make you feel better? It’s just a much bigger risk.

Anyone buying a club is taking a huge financial gamble, that’s the reality of English football.
    This is the way I see it too. Our club has its own unique problems but you have to be a bit mad to want to buy any EFL club at this moment in time.

I won’t be rolling out the red carpet or anything for Methven & co. I just hope there’s enough enthusiasm and nous to get the right players in for a promotion push and consolidation in the league above, before the money men get bored.

It’s not long term safety by any means, but it’s far better than staying rudderless under Sandgaard in the short term.
  • I can't believe that he's so naive not to know the role of a CEO. From the various points he makes about himself I think he's going to perform the role in all but name. 
    Lets hope he phones sandgaard for advice on that (not !!!) Here we go again ?
  • edited July 2023
    I’m Airman Brown said:
    ButtleJR said:

I’m with you @Airman Brown , I don’t see how this deal stacks up unless they can get us into the EPL in quick time and flip us for a profit. 
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:
    I don’t think asking questions is the same thing as treating somebody with hatred.
    Apart from your good self declaring your hatred for Tories and Brexit voters I seldom see the word hatred posted on here.
    Please can you quote who has used the word hate on this thread. 
  • _MrDick said:
    I’m Airman Brown said:
    ButtleJR said:

I’m with you @Airman Brown , I don’t see how this deal stacks up unless they can get us into the EPL in quick time and flip us for a profit. 
    Then how does any deal stack up?
  • edited July 2023
    seth plum said:
    I don’t think asking questions is the same thing as treating somebody with hatred.
    Please can you quote who has used the word hate on this thread. 
    blackpool72
  • ButtleJR said:

What doesn't add up? Sometimes I feel that unless it's your mate varney being involved it's automatically bad.

Other owners with different business models and ideas to what you are used to, can actually work.
    Fifth time lucky then. 
    Didn’t think you should tar everyone with the same brush, despite the number of times we have been bitten.
  •  
    It would be helpful to understand what people think “success” looks like.

Maybe revisit this thread in a few years ? 
  • Gillis said:

Okay, I apologies. Substitute Plymouth and add Luton, Coventry, Rotherham, Birmingham. Shall I carry on?
    Do any of those clubs have Category One academies?