Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread v3.0 - DONE! - Methven interview in the Telegraph (p55)

Comments

• edited July 2023
    So the takeover has been approved by the wonderful EFL...ok
    Now we are waiting for the paperwork to be found  place to hide, is it time for v4.0 AFKA..😉
  • Ok then, Methven interview ready to go.

Inevitably the interview and the motivations behind it are already being slagged off in certain quarters in the usual style, so I'm posting as a reminder the original intro article which explains that this was all CM's own initiative, The link to the main article is at the bottom of that one. When you get to it, you'll see the  banner image is a mess, bear with us, I may need techie help with that.

I think the main benefit is an insight into how the structure will work (assuming he is still able to speak for all significant consortium members). There's more than will be possible to put into a club PR statement even if they wanted to. But there were interesting things he asked to keep off the record, and other things we had no time for, such as the future of the real estate. As you will see, he really wanted to talk about him at Sunderland which I managed to avoid until we got to the end of the designated running time, and Zoom terminated that abruptly :)

Looking forward to see what people make of it
    Good work.

When he started saying 'You know' a lot I straight away thought of Matt Southall.
    When he mentioned he'd managed to get a little know Charlton fan on board, I straight away thought of Lee Amis.
    We can only hope beyond hope that Friedman and Brener don't turn out to be a Tahnoon Nimer!
    That thought crossed my mind ... I searched for   31 times is right up there in the Southall mix.
  • Can anyone tell me what a TopCo is? I feel a bit lost
  • I have been fairly neutral over this takeover, although in internet language that means negative to some but that Methven interview has made me slightly more positive as no obvious red flags, I broadly agree with what he says.

Now we all wait to see words turn in to actions, with the wealth of some of the investors and the football knowledge of those who will be making the day to day decisions, no excuse not to build a top six squad this summer.
  • Foxycafc said:
    Can anyone tell me what a TopCo is? I feel a bit lost
    You heard of a little known search engine called Google?
  • Foxycafc said:

• Sponsored links:

• Foxycafc said:
    A bit rusty on this, but pretty sure it's special purpose vehicle in a group structure for example, in which the management and sponsor will hold shares.

• Thank you for the interview @PragueAddick.

As Methven’s reputation goes before him it was easy for him to irritate me, possibly unfair but I hate the overuse of the phrase, 'you know', but let's have a clean slate and see how it goes.

I'm encouraged that they appear to have done absolute due diligence, as in there will be no surprises or delusion in what will be required financially to take the club forward, unlike recent previous owners. Nor any suggestion that through some kind of expertise or sophisticated methods they can cut corners.

Also the explanation behind the sharing of those financial obligations. 
  • Ok then, Methven interview ready to go.

Inevitably the interview and the motivations behind it are already being slagged off in certain quarters in the usual style, so I'm posting as a reminder the original intro article which explains that this was all CM's own initiative, The link to the main article is at the bottom of that one. When you get to it, you'll see the  banner image is a mess, bear with us, I may need techie help with that.

I think the main benefit is an insight into how the structure will work (assuming he is still able to speak for all significant consortium members). There's more than will be possible to put into a club PR statement even if they wanted to. But there were interesting things he asked to keep off the record, and other things we had no time for, such as the future of the real estate. As you will see, he really wanted to talk about him at Sunderland which I managed to avoid until we got to the end of the designated running time, and Zoom terminated that abruptly :)

Looking forward to see what people make of it
    Good work.

When he started saying 'You know' a lot I straight away thought of Matt Southall.
    When he mentioned he'd managed to get a little know Charlton fan on board, I straight away thought of Lee Amis.
    We can only hope beyond hope that Friedman and Brener don't turn out to be a Tahnoon Nimer!
    That thought crossed my mind ... I searched for   31 times is right up there in the Southall mix.
    It is sometimes indicative of a lack of confidence or nervousness and the desire to seek assurance that what they are saying is understood by the receiver.

Or it could err be just a verbal tick. 
  • What about making a return on everything by asset stripping (players) and then walking away?
    Is it possible in business to do that?
  • Slight (massive) hangover after a work party, did it happen? 

also

Ouch
  • seth plum said:
    What about making a return on everything by asset stripping (players) and then walking away?
    Of course - if the assets are worth significantly more than the purchase price. Not sure that is the case with us.
  • edited July 2023
    seth plum said:
    What about making a return on everything by asset stripping (players) and then walking away?
    If you have assets yes, but that's different to a flip.. also a flip is short term and not over years. Considering the amount of people supposedly involved, id have thought there are far easier ways to make money than asset stripping CAFC.
  • WSS said:
    Did the interview really end that abruptly?

"Zoom call cuts off"
    Yep. I’d tried to conclude it more professionally but he was clearly desperate to put his side of the story re Sunderland. I think he was trying to be like the politicos on the Today programme who to try to squeeze in some points while the interviewer tries to close it down. Zoom doesnt put up with that of course. I was surprised he didnt see that coming as he had the timer same as I did. 
  • Sponsored links:

• WSS said:

"Zoom call cuts off"
    Yep. I’d tried to conclude it more professionally but he was clearly desperate to put his side of the story re Sunderland. I think he was trying to be like the politicos on the Today programme who to try to squeeze in some points while the interviewer tries to close it down. Zoom doesnt put up with that of course. I was surprised he didnt see that coming as he had the timer same as I did. 
    You can just rejoin on the same link and carry on for free. No good to you now of course. 
  • WSS said:

"Zoom call cuts off"
    You can just rejoin on the same link and carry on for free. No good to you now of course. 
    Not any more you can't - Zoom realised people kept doing this and started to restrict accounts who did it.
  • I can't believe that he's so naive not to know the role of a CEO. From the various points he makes about himself I think he's going to perform the role in all but name. 
  • seth plum said:
    Of course but what players you selling for 15mil? 
  • Gribbo said:
    Foxycafc said:
    A bit rusty on this, but pretty sure it's special purpose vehicle in a group structure for example, in which the management and sponsor will hold shares.

Wasnt there a SPV in Captain Scarlet?
  • @seth plum please lighten up a little. You seem to be constantly looking for negatives!
    There's so.e good stuff in that interview and it would be a good idea to give them a bloody chance. Your scepticism seems to be getting worse. 
    We don't have £10m + of assets in the academy, he has also stated that the academy is important.
    Like I said a few days ago, let's see how they do for a few weeks!
    You are certainly right that I constantly look for negatives with any new ownership.

The chance they get is absolutely tied to wins and points.

I do have a very positive view of our Academy, so there is something non negative in me.

However I wonder if there would be a possibility of getting and saving millions by selling off every academy graduate we have and cost saving by shutting the whole thing down.

If Methven says the academy is important maybe he sees it as the calf that is fattening, or maybe he says it is important because of his new found love and loyalty for Charlton Athletic.

I know I am on the spectrum, but somebody has to be at one end of it to balance out the blind faith people at the other end.

Tell you what though. If burger boy is offed during this process my confidence will go up a notch.
  • shine166 said:
    seth plum said:
    If you have assets yes, but that's different to a flip.. also a flip is short term and not over years. Considering the amount of people supposedly involved, id have thought there are far easier ways to make money than asset stripping CAFC.
    What about gambling on success, not making money, so asset stripping to make the losses less bad?
    Sometimes I get two Euromillions lucky dips for £5, and occasionally will get a ‘winning’ return of £3.70 or suchlike.