Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread v3.0 - DONE! - Methven interview in the Telegraph (p55)

Comments

• Ok then, Methven interview ready to go.

Inevitably the interview and the motivations behind it are already being slagged off in certain quarters in the usual style, so I'm posting as a reminder the original intro article which explains that this was all CM's own initiative, The link to the main article is at the bottom of that one. When you get to it, you'll see the  banner image is a mess, bear with us, I may need techie help with that.

I think the main benefit is an insight into how the structure will work (assuming he is still able to speak for all significant consortium members). There's more than will be possible to put into a club PR statement even if they wanted to. But there were interesting things he asked to keep off the record, and other things we had no time for, such as the future of the real estate. As you will see, he really wanted to talk about him at Sunderland which I managed to avoid until we got to the end of the designated running time, and Zoom terminated that abruptly :)

Looking forward to see what people make of it
    Thanks Prague - interesting.

I guess my more emotional reaction is one of mild disappointment although I'm not sure what else I was expecting. Maybe it's because a lot of this has leaked already and I was hoping for something extra. Maybe I was hoping for a clearer statement of ambitious intent but, again, that is probably an unrealistic expectation. The rest of this transfer window and the next will tell us more.

My head has some concerns:

- I'm worried that there will be no one Head of Charlton - we'll have Rodwell, Scott and Warwick all having seemingly equal status but potentially different visions, missions, objectives - whatever you want to call it - with great potential for core disagreements - who pulls the whole thing together? CM paints a picture of himself as some sort of Walsingham type character whispering in the investor's ears which, again, has the potential for major disruption going forward

- Would like to know a LOT more about Global Football Partners Ltd. Is this just a CAFC vehicle or does it have a wider remit and where does CAFC fit into it?

- CM himself says that GB & JF's investments are relatively small beer for them so that would make it very easy for these individuals to walk away yet I guess we are hugely/solely reliant on them to fund short/medium term losses.

So, my jury is still out, partly driven by our painful experiences in recent years. I'm not in the Airman camp of saying it will fail but I would want to understand a lot more before I adorn my bedroom with Gabriel Brener/Josh Friedman duvets and pillows. 

It would be helpful to understand what people think “success” looks like.

I think for the vast majority of us success would be building a squad capable of a minimum top 6 finish this year, with the aim to get promoted next year if we don't win the play offs this season. Once promoted, steady and intelligent investment to establish us as a Championship team with an outside shot at the playoffs over the few years after that.

If we can do the above whilst attaining category one status for the academy I think that is a very successful 4-5 years of ownership without needing gamble astronomical sums.

I know it sounds easy written down and no doubt there will be big challenges along the way to achieve it, but having at the right senior management team in place and astute investment in the playing side should make it a real possibility.
    I’d say this + an actual realistic plan to unite the club with The Valley. 
  • edited July 2023
    Success in the short term has already been achieved... we have gotten rid of  "The Guitar Man", 'cos that was all he was mildly ok at, and now for the long term success..
    Stability as a club, something that has been sadly missing for a decade would be a def success and would be something to look forward to, coupled with getting back into the Championship within two seasons and getting The Valley & Sparrows Lane back within the club, that would be success as far as I see it...now let's just hope this lot can pull it off... 
  • Sponsored links:

• ButtleJR said:
    Christ Airman, how about an ounce of positivity for once?
    See also Spivs, Duchatelet, Southall and Sandgaard. It’s always the same - why don’t we just discount the evidence and pose for selfies? Anyone who doesn’t is “negative”. Then people are surprised when it all turns to shit. 

If it doesn’t appear to stack up, the chances are it won’t. I’m just asking the questions.
    It's a fair point but you can't argue that things won't get any better with TS, then argue that they will once there is a change. That's emotionally and mentally playing around with fans, who just want a simple message conveyed.
  • I’m quite optimistic after reading that interview, time will tell though.
  • edited July 2023
    ButtleJR said:
    Christ Airman, how about an ounce of positivity for once?
    See also Spivs, Duchatelet, Southall and Sandgaard. It’s always the same - why don’t we just discount the evidence and pose for selfies? Anyone who doesn’t is “negative”. Then people are surprised when it all turns to shit. 

If it doesn’t appear to stack up, the chances are it won’t. I’m just asking the questions.
    @Airman Brown what do you think is the absolute ceiling for Charlton with this current ownership group?

Inevitably the interview and the motivations behind it are already being slagged off in certain quarters in the usual style, so I'm posting as a reminder the original intro article which explains that this was all CM's own initiative, The link to the main article is at the bottom of that one. When you get to it, you'll see the  banner image is a mess, bear with us, I may need techie help with that.

I think the main benefit is an insight into how the structure will work (assuming he is still able to speak for all significant consortium members). There's more than will be possible to put into a club PR statement even if they wanted to. But there were interesting things he asked to keep off the record, and other things we had no time for, such as the future of the real estate. As you will see, he really wanted to talk about him at Sunderland which I managed to avoid until we got to the end of the designated running time, and Zoom terminated that abruptly :)

I guess my more emotional reaction is one of mild disappointment although I'm not sure what else I was expecting. Maybe it's because a lot of this has leaked already and I was hoping for something extra. Maybe I was hoping for a clearer statement of ambitious intent but, again, that is probably an unrealistic expectation. The rest of this transfer window and the next will tell us more.

- I'm worried that there will be no one Head of Charlton - we'll have Rodwell, Scott and Warwick all having seemingly equal status but potentially different visions, missions, objectives - whatever you want to call it - with great potential for core disagreements - who pulls the whole thing together? CM paints a picture of himself as some sort of Walsingham type character whispering in the investor's ears which, again, has the potential for major disruption going forward

- Would like to know a LOT more about Global Football Partners Ltd. Is this just a CAFC vehicle or does it have a wider remit and where does CAFC fit into it?

- CM himself says that GB & JF's investments are relatively small beer for them so that would make it very easy for these individuals to walk away yet I guess we are hugely/solely reliant on them to fund short/medium term losses.

So, my jury is still out, partly driven by our painful experiences in recent years. I'm not in the Airman camp of saying it will fail but I would want to understand a lot more before I adorn my bedroom with Gabriel Brener/Josh Friedman duvets and pillows. 

Well for now, getting back to the championship. And from Prague's interview sounds like they are alligned with that thought and ambition.
    It's pretty much all we can ask for isn't it?
    Wild claims of Europe in 5; years are hopefully a thing of the past.
    Some of what Methven said actually made a lot of sense to me.
    A realistic plan with competent people will do me all day long.

What would success in the short term look like to you?
    Minimum of 15 Chips at the very least.

• Sponsored links:

• edited July 2023
    Ok then, Methven interview ready to go.

Well for now, getting back to the championship. And from Prague's interview sounds like they are alligned with that thought and ambition.

I think @Covered_End_Lad pretty much nailed it, although I don’t see category one status as an end in itself and I don’t think a top-six finish in L1 and PO failure is good enough in 23/24 (meaning as it would five straight seasons in L1).

I think @Covered_End_Lad pretty much nailed it, although I don’t see category one status as an end in itself and I don’t think a top-six finish in L1 and PO failure is good enough in 23/24 (meaning as it would five straight seasons in L1).
    Fair point but you can't judge a new ownership by the failures of the previous four. I would say their first bite of the apple to hit top 6 is a success. As long as it's being built on the following year with further investment of course.
  • edited July 2023
    Hard to say , but out of our 4 most recent incumbents who do we think this new group will be most akin with?

Spivs - Had some cash flow that went south. Little bit slimy.Did bring the right sort of people to the club. But when the tap was turned off panic set in.
    Duchatelet-;A spinster trying to re-invent the proverbial wheel. Football done like nobody else is doing it.  But when it became clear there's a reason for that, he got nasty.
    ESI- Grade A w*nkers whose sole ambition was to milk what little we had dry. Clueless from day one

Sandgaard-;Heart was in the right place, but sometimes I question that. No plan. No idea Awful recruitment. Vanity project. Moved the club not an inch forward from when he picked it up. Joker.

I'm going spivs. Hopefully, the men with the money won't sack it off mid term?

In the very short term, promotion to the championship ASAP.