Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Shrewsbury Town: Saturday 1st April 2023: KO 3.00Pm

Comments

• watching on CTV when the pen was awarded Morgan held the ball, the camera then moved away and when it returned Leaburn was preparing to take the pen. How did the decision to give it to Leaburn happen?
    Morgan had the ball and crouched over the penalty spot in order to protect it from the Salop spoilers.  Once things calmed down Morgan stood up and immediately threw the ball to Leaburn.  Even then, there was a further attack on the spot after Morgan left - is nothing sacred?  
  • Good as we were, they were absolutely bereft of confidence after going three nil down.

Don't want to read too much into this given it's end of season fare - but I'd want us to keep Hector because he clearly has a great influence in terms of shape. That said he will get done for pace a LOT so wouldn't want him first choice. Inniss has really improved and taking the safety first, conservative option each time has been good for him. I like that. Wouldn't mind another year from him, but as a first choice? Wouldn't be too comfortable. (Hopefully Ness will make a full and timely recovery.) Mitchell is really decent and I'd actually not mind him as a 4th choice tbf. Sign Thomas, too. Got a brain and good feet.

Henry looked good against a team that had been dismantled. We had SO MUCH space that he was allowed to exploit. But he's only 19 - I keep forgetting that- and I'd keep if possible. Clare can't stay on as a full time RB - he makes decisions that are fine for a CM but that leave us exposed on the flanks. Ambivalent there.

Campbell is gonna be very important. I'd sacrifice a small animal to have JRS back. We need a Morgan replacement because a fresh start is good for all parties tbh, nothing against him though. 
  • watching on CTV when the pen was awarded Morgan held the ball, the camera then moved away and when it returned Leaburn was preparing to take the pen. How did the decision to give it to Leaburn happen?
    Morgan had the ball and crouched over the penalty spot in order to protect it from the Salop spoilers.  Once things calmed down Morgan stood up and immediately threw the ball to Leaburn.  Even then, there was a further attack on the spot after Morgan left - is nothing sacred?  
    Morgan actually nabbed the ball off Sessegnon to begin with. Sess seemed to think he was going to be allowed to take it cos it had been his shot. Disabused rapidly
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Good as we were, they were absolutely bereft of confidence after going three nil down.

Don't want to read too much into this given it's end of season fare - but I'd want us to keep Hector because he clearly has a great influence in terms of shape. That said he will get done for pace a LOT so wouldn't want him first choice. Inniss has really improved and taking the safety first, conservative option each time has been good for him. I like that. Wouldn't mind another year from him, but as a first choice? Wouldn't be too comfortable. (Hopefully Ness will make a full and timely recovery.) Mitchell is really decent and I'd actually not mind him as a 4th choice tbf. Sign Thomas, too. Got a brain and good feet.

Henry looked good against a team that had been dismantled. We had SO MUCH space that he was allowed to exploit. But he's only 19 - I keep forgetting that- and I'd keep if possible. Clare can't stay on as a full time RB - he makes decisions that are fine for a CM but that leave us exposed on the flanks. Ambivalent there.

Campbell is gonna be very important. I'd sacrifice a small animal to have JRS back. We need a Morgan replacement because a fresh start is good for all parties tbh, nothing against him though. 
    I think the big question re Clare is is Egbo good enough to be first choice?

If so keep Clare if not bring in someone better than Egbo and let Clare go. 
  • edited April 2023
    We suddenly have, not only the two big units, Hector and Inniss( two doormen I wouldn't argue with on my soapbox) but  Ness, already looking decent and  young Mitchell and let's not forget the ball playing 19 year old CB, Deji Elerewe who Andy Woodman ( Bromley Manager) is raving about in his half dozen performances. MOM against Wrexham at Hayes Lane, scored the winner away and is playing with confidence.

We need to move Lavelle on who is a  League 2 CB, and Charlie Kirk who just doesn't cut the mustard at Cafc, even though he did at Cafc !
    McGrandles also if Holden believes he won't improve the team.
    More loans possible for the above if no one wants them.

Take a hit on these players before not signing present 1st teamers.
  • What happened to Charlie Barker,he looked a great prospect a couple of years ago but seems to have slid down the pecking order.
  • What happened to Charlie Barker,he looked a great prospect a couple of years ago but seems to have slid down the pecking order.
    Did he?  He did OK but let's not forget he played  because he was literally the only person at the club that could.

At the same time let's not write him off because it wasn't for a thread bear squad for the last 3 seasons he wouldn't have played beyond the pizza cup and he isn't 20 yet.

Jury hasn't even been sworn in, let alone be sent out IMO.
  • Very nice win but let's be honest, entirely meaningless. 
    Agreed, meaningless. But none the less, with so many not bothering it was a nice experience for those who continue to turn up every game. 
    Aye, we deserved that. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2023
    Oggy Red said:
    Kap10 said:

Oggy Red said:
    se9addick said:
    Amazing! Think that must be the biggest home win I’ve ever seen.

The scary thing is, I saw all 3 of those games back in the 70s.

I remember watching the 6-2 v Swansea Town, as they were then. Peter Reeves scored 2, I'm not saying it was a fix but the referee and linesman both had surnames.... Reeves
    I didn't know that, but I do remember Reeves scoring. That didn't happen very often.
    It's a long time ago now  :) but if I recall that night, Peter was playing in midfield - which was another rarity as he always played as one of the CB pairing.

BTW It was 6-0 v Swansea and 6-1 v Notts County, both games only a few weeks apart in 1972.

The 6-2 was v Southampton in 1976.

All 3 games were evening matches under floodlights, if I remember.

PS: The things you remember from half a century ago, yet these days I can't even remember what I did yesterday(!)

IIRC I was at the Swansea game because although midweek, it was the summer holidays.

My dad didn't take me to the Notts C game because it was a school night. 

Southampton game was on a Friday September 1976.
    Channon, MacDougall et al.
    They had won the FA Cup v Man U (Bobby Stokes), 4 months earlier.
  • Davo55 said:
    Don't get many 6 goal wins if you're a Charlton fan so that ranks up there even if it was in this poxy league.

A particular personal highlight was that I described the first goal in precise detail before Scotty Fraser had even shaped up to take the kick. I do something similar every game and am invariably wrong so this was a nice change 👌

Also nice to bump into AFKA at half time and got a nice hug off his obviously very chuffed lad. 

As others have said, the subs introduced when we were 4 up had a relatively easy task but nevertheless Mitchell showed amazing ability and composure for someone so young and inexperienced, and Aaron Henry showed he can really spray passes around. Two excellent cameos that bode well for their first team chances. I'd be very happy to have both in our first team squad next season. Ditto for Tyreece Campbell. He has really stepped up and CBT's absence isn't really a problem at all.
    Good to see you @Davo55 looking well mate 
  • Think Morgan did a similar thing to Trippier a couple of weeks ago. Took the ball , took all the verbals and mind games from the oppo trying to put him off then handed the ball to Leaburn to take at the last minute who had been left alone by the oppo. Smart move 
    Didn’t know about the Trippier one,but I said to my lot soon as it happened I thought it was a planned distraction for Leaburn to step forward…👍
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    What happened to Charlie Barker,he looked a great prospect a couple of years ago but seems to have slid down the pecking order.
    Did he?  He did OK but let's not forget he played  because he was literally the only person at the club that could.

At the same time let's not write him off because it wasn't for a thread bear squad for the last 3 seasons he wouldn't have played beyond the pizza cup and he isn't 20 yet.

First line is bang on, only played because he was seen as the best U-18 at the time, but clearly hasn't progressed as well as Ness or Mitchell have, but like you said he does have time on his side
  • Valley11 said:
    What’s the chances of another loan for JRS next season? Zero?
    less than zero
  • We're not good enough for automatic promotion BUT with the players we have we should still be fighting for the playoffs. No way should we be 9/10 points behind Pompey and Wycombe.

Valley11 said:
    less than zero
  • We're not good enough for automatic promotion BUT with the players we have we should still be fighting for the playoffs. No way should we be 9/10 points behind Pompey and Wycombe.
    We're not good enough for automatic promotion BUT with the players we have we should still be fighting for the playoffs. No way should we be 9/10 points behind Pompey and Wycombe.
    We were self destructing most of the time prior to Xmas, in rehab for 2 months-
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    What happened to Charlie Barker,he looked a great prospect a couple of years ago but seems to have slid down the pecking order.

I am not writing him off,merely enquiring ,as we now have 3 younger players in defensive positions that have now have overtaken him in the pecking order.I liked him and would love to see him come through.
  • Great result, wasn’t there today as have lost interest this season, BUT for me all this does is mask the fact this squad is no where near good enough for a promotion challenge, people talking about signing Albie up ? what happens if we win the remaining games this season? Will people be happy with this squad with a few additions for next season? As i said good result but please remember the majority of this season. 
    Several posters have suggested that this or that player shouldn't be offered anew contract next season.  The "takeover" seems to be taking  ages, will it happen?by next season? will the new owners have money?
    The baseline- (maybe least desirable outcome)- is that nothing will change.TS in charge with no money (other than wages, fingers crossed)
    We may not be able to re-sign the players we have as we will be outbid by other teams (eg wrexham)
    We will have no money to spend on new players-unless we sell assets like Leaburn.
    So do you sign Morgan or the alternative who is very likely to be worse?

This will be the summer where we will have to be smart and get players like Hector in last window, ie free agents , but keen to play, and cost as little as possible.
    On the plus side when Duchalet lost interest and left Bowyer alone to it it all improved.
    Hoping Dean  can do the same with less interference from TS (than previous managers)

• My biggest issue with Hector is his lack of pace - a commanding presence but players seem to get past him relatively easily. Not sure if this is a fitness thing?
  • edited April 2023
    Did we really win 6-0 just reading through other threads and I can see people shitting on players.

Morgan, Hector, Inniss, Bonne! 

You're only as good as your last game comes to mind. 
  • Morgan is the modern day Kishishev or Lisbie. Derided whatever he does but missed when he isn't playing.

Valley11 said:
    less than zero
    https://youtu.be/dJygTz0gB6g
  • A very enjoyable Saturday afternoon. I think that is the first time I have seen us score six - fairly sure I missed the midweek games in the 70s when I would still have been at school. The whole team played very well and we totally dominated the game. Holden has kept a fairlt stable team for the last few games and I think it is starting to pay off. I thought we would sit back second half, but poor Shrewsbury looked totally demoralised. Some decent goals too.

Bring on Burton Albion!
  • Thoroughly unexpected result but no less happy!!

Thought the whole team were good, even the subs. Henry showed what he can do though I appreciate they down to 10 by the time he was spraying it about. 

Top of the pile for me was JRS and Thomas. Shrews couldnt get near JRS and with Thomas at LB, we looked so much more solid whilst still looking good going forward. 

Only repeating the obvious but I hope we sign Hector at least for another year.   
  • Feel like Thomas presses better than CBT and puts in more of a shift defensively, even if he doesn't scare defenders in quite the same way