Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Shrewsbury Town: Saturday 1st April 2023: KO 3.00Pm

Comments

• edited April 2023
    Albie Morgan has improved Under Dean Holden and it has taken far too long but at last when a Central striker in Form: Leaburn, and a baller like Rak Sakyi as well as Dobson and Fraser on their game, then Morgan can run on to the ball with a great first touch and finish with aplomb with no one in row Z in any danger. 5 goals this season means I can't keep saying he "can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo".

Even yesterday when he scored a cracker, had assists, closed down and even had the sense to hand the ball to Miles for the penalty for another assist ! (If he had missed the haters would have screamed with bile) Albie still got one score of 5 On the Players marks ! 
    Most of our fans/critics recognised Morgan's all round performance TBF.

When/if we get better players in then Players are replaced in the starting 11. That should be the way forward. Morgan deserves the shirt with Dobson and Fraser in Midfield and Henry needs to step up and not only against a beaten team with 10 men because there was a risk of Dobbo getting another yellow.

Aaron Henry is only 19 ( made debut when 16) and he's still to truly break though. I wish he would sign a new contract and work with Holden and the coaches in pre season to see if he can kick on at Cafc.
  • edited April 2023
    Did anyone at the match or on Charlton TV or illegal viewing see CLEARLY if it was or not a penalty ? Charlton fans saying it was a harsh penalty when the ref was closer and had a better view than them. I just can't tell.
    Didn't affect the result but we wouldn't have won the first set 6-0 without the red card !

What was the consensus on Charlton TV ?
  • Did anyone at the match or on Charlton TV or illegal viewing see CLEARLY if it was or not a penalty ? Charlton fans saying it was a harsh penalty when the ref was closer and had a better view than them. I just can't tell.
    Didn't affect the result but we wouldn't have won the first set 6-0 without the red card !

I've seen an angle that shows the ball goes beyond JRS and hits Flanagan, who had his arms out. Very good spot by the officials because it wasn't clear to the naked eye.
  • Didn’t see it as a penalty from the angle I had in the lower north but there was a clear shout elsewhere and from the fans where the linesman would have had a clearer view and it looked like the ref looked to him momentarily before giving the penalty. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Was their keeper, the one who called out a fan for comments made during the game a season or two back?

Yup and was in goal for Donny in the PO Semi Final too 
    He must love playing at The Valley 😂😂
    He should, he's a Charlton legend. Palmed the ball into Pratley's path for the equaliser a minute after Donny had taken the lead and I'd lost hope. He's my hero
  • Sponsored links:

• What’s the chances of another loan for JRS next season? Zero?
  • Very nice win but let's be honest, entirely meaningless.

The.bloke involved in the first three goals plays for Palace and won't be at Charlton next season. 

Both teams are mid table League 1 with nothing to play for. As soon as any team puts up a fight,. we crumble. Fortunately, they didn't have to. . 

I had a sleep in the second.half to be honest. 
    Bloody hell man, we WON 6-0, now then give us a smile, it won't hurt as much as you think...really...🙄
    What part of ‘grumpy’ don’t you get?
  • Anyone got some Shrewsbury forums reaction to the result.
    I don’t know how to copy and post their comments. 🫤

The.bloke involved in the first three goals plays for Palace and won't be at Charlton next season. 

Both teams are mid table League 1 with nothing to play for. As soon as any team puts up a fight,. we crumble. Fortunately, they didn't have to. . 

Bloody hell man, we WON 6-0, now then give us a smile, it won't hurt as much as you think...really...🙄
    Every part, just trying to cheer him up, which I know can be an endless task...🙄

Every part, just trying to cheer him up, which I know can be an endless task...🙄
    Futile I’d say.🙄
  • ross1 said:
    Wait until you see us beaten by 11 goals, Aston Villa beat us when I was a lot younger. No doubt someone will tell me the year. If you see this, you will know you reach bottom of your support 
    That was the 59/60 season. Aston Villa were a good team and won the title that year. I remember the score coming up on the BBC teleprinter 11 (eleven) - 1, also in words in case you didn't believe it.  Mind you we were down to 9 players there were no subs then.

I went to the return match at the Valley late that season, a big turn out that day looking for revenge and we won 2-0.

We also won 6-1 twice at home that season against Portsmouth & Derby I can remember seeing one of those and saying to my Dad we're great we win by lots of goals. He replied no point winning by lots of goals if you go away and lose by lots of goals, which we did.  How good to be young and naive, by the time you learn what supporting Charlton is really like, its to late.   

We had 3 goalies that day(not all at once).Back in the day,we had some great scores,7-4 portsmouth,6-4 Plymouth and an amazing 6-6 draw with Middlesbrough,who we had beaten 8-1 a few years before.We did also beat Luton 6-1 away.Those where the days.
  • I didn’t clearly see our penalty, but I clearly saw Dobbo get away with a deliberate handball in our area just before half time.
    Great win.
  • I'll take the credit for our up turn in form because after the Accrington game I haven't done any more than take note of the goals on soccer Saturday.

I would say though that the 12 players that have played most of the minutes in the last 4 or 5 games aren't the major problem.  Add in Woolacott, Ness, Egbo and CBT and you have got a base of a decent squad at this level.  The problem is the others TBH.

What we need is 5 or 6 players that our good enough to be in our best team, not 5 or 6 players that aren't good enough to be in the squad.  Replace the worst 5 with 5 that will be amongst our best 7 or 8 players and we would be well on the way.

If we had played that 11 week in week out we would still miss out on the play offs, but not by much.  If we were relying on the likes of  Penny,  Bonne, Clayden, Payne, Chinn at left back not to mention the Burton Two and McGrandles,  as we had been earlier in the season, we would be bothering the bottom.
  • edited April 2023
    LouisMend said:
    Did anyone at the match or on Charlton TV or illegal viewing see CLEARLY if it was or not a penalty ? Charlton fans saying it was a harsh penalty when the ref was closer and had a better view than them. I just can't tell.

I've seen an angle that shows the ball goes beyond JRS and hits Flanagan, who had his arms out. Very good spot by the officials because it wasn't clear to the naked eye.
    And so a yellow card, as it wasn’t his first the red card is not harsh at all. 
  • Sponsored links:

• LouisMend said:

Personally I think that fella had repeatedly f***ed the ref off since the first half and the ref couldn’t wait to pin something on him 
  • LouisMend said:

And so a yellow card, as it wasn’t his first the card is not harsh at all. 
    As it was in the area and if the ref considers it a goal scoring chance, red card
  • watching on CTV when the pen was awarded Morgan held the ball, the camera then moved away and when it returned Leaburn was preparing to take the pen. How did the decision to give it to Leaburn happen?
  • Great performance and so pleased for those there - the epitomy of a dull, meaningless fixture so if you were there yesterday then you are proper charlton and no fairweather merchant and got a little bit of payback for some of the torturous offerings this season. The difference in our play once we got the second was noticeable - we rarely go 2 goals up at home but suddenly we were and we were pinging it around playing proper pass and move football and looked a different level to shrewsbury all over the pitch. The front 3 are a good blend and had they been available all season, we'd definitely be higher. Campbell isn't quite as quick as CBT but is still very quick and has much better end product. Hopefully we have the funds to keep who we want to keep. Hector a definite if we can get him. Priority is a top drawer striker and centre mid to help Fraser, Dobbo and Leaburn and a replacement for rak saki who will be a big loss.

• For our second I hadn't seen the ref signal play on so just assumed it was another of those fouls that dirty teams seem to be able to make against us with impunity. Of the three penalty calls, I didn't see the ball hit Flanagan's arm - it seemed harsh. The ball hitting Dobbo's arm would have been a very harsh penalty. And the one where Campbell was brought down could have gone either way. What I liked about the ref was that he didn't stand for the sort of tactics Shrewsbury/Wycombe/Accrington usually use. And for once we were in a position to benefit
  • Thanks to DH and the squad for making us all a lot happier this weekend.
  • watching on CTV when the pen was awarded Morgan held the ball, the camera then moved away and when it returned Leaburn was preparing to take the pen. How did the decision to give it to Leaburn happen?
    Probably because Miles is the designated penalty taker. Morgan initially had the ball because he picked it up when the penalty was awarded and then shielded it on the spot when a Shrews player was trying to scuff it up for some reason. I don’t think Albie gave it up of his own accord as some would like you to think.