Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Shrewsbury Town: Saturday 1st April 2023: KO 3.00Pm

Comments

• In Kanazawa ,Japan. Trust me to be on holiday when we hit 6 for the first time in 50 years!!!
  • _MrDick said:
    All I want to say about today is get Aaron Henry signed up to a new contract ASAP. His range of passing is phenomenal. We have some truly talented youngsters at our club. My worry is, I’m not going to live long enough to see these boys come to fruition.

I’m surprised he hasn’t had more minutes recently, would like to see more of him.
  • BOOM 💥💥💥💥💥💥
  • So many good things to take out of that game. Very enjoyable and makes a pleasant change. A few more fine wins like this before the season is out and we will feel a bit more chipper going into the closed season.
  • edited April 2023
    Leuth said:
    Pressing game absolutely on fire today. Let's see more of that from now on. The case for Fraser and Morgan grows more compelling.... 
    Yes, when you look at today’s match, no when you look at the whole season. For me they’re both too inconsistent to be in the engine room of a promotion chasing side. But yes, they turned it in today. 
    Very pleased for Terrell Thomas as well. So many had written him off before he’d even kicked a ball. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Great performance, but also the type of performance that annoys me, and I imagine fucks others right off.

Noticed it as well from a Louis Mendez tweet during the game, when he said that days like this, make performances like the 1-0 loss against Cheltenham even more frustrating.

This group of players KNOW they can go out and there and put in performances like that, we're five (?) undefeated now - But we've had to endure Golfie during the Match, through no fault of his own, bemoaning the fact that we're competing with Fleetwood and Exeter for mid-table which to be fair to him is the truth of this campaign.

Feels like the sort of typical match where everyone is putting in an effort for a new Contract, and then we risk going back to the norm next season with pointless soundbite interviews saying: "We knew last season wasnt good enough, we'll put it right again this coming year" - Well we got that last summer and for the most part its been much the same again... The likes of Morgan | Thomas | Clare (before he was subbed) were outstanding today, and put in a proper League One display... But can you honestly trust them to do it over a full season, and not be back in this exact situation again in a years time.

Apologies for going on a rant... Leaburn was f**king outstanding... the whole team were and they do deserve to enjoy this 6-0 win - Just equally feels a small kick in the bollocks too
    A good point, although it should be noted that this group of players haven't played together fully fit much this season. And such is the nature of our squad that we don't have the quality in depth currently fit and in form to come in and replace anyone.

I do think today shows us that we can be much better than the sides around us. With a little more squad depth we might have bettered Wycombe last weekend as well. With a couple of quality additions, this 11 could probably play any team in the league pretty tough, maybe excepting Sheffield Wednesday.

I would argue the bigger problem is that six of the starters and 3/5 subs that came on are not contracted to the club next season. For some, that's fine, but once again we are left to rebuild half the first team in the summer because we didn't add enough depth last summer. 
  • SDAddick said:
    Great performance, but also the type of performance that annoys me, and I imagine fucks others right off.

Noticed it as well from a Louis Mendez tweet during the game, when he said that days like this, make performances like the 1-0 loss against Cheltenham even more frustrating.

This group of players KNOW they can go out and there and put in performances like that, we're five (?) undefeated now - But we've had to endure Golfie during the Match, through no fault of his own, bemoaning the fact that we're competing with Fleetwood and Exeter for mid-table which to be fair to him is the truth of this campaign.

Feels like the sort of typical match where everyone is putting in an effort for a new Contract, and then we risk going back to the norm next season with pointless soundbite interviews saying: "We knew last season wasnt good enough, we'll put it right again this coming year" - Well we got that last summer and for the most part its been much the same again... The likes of Morgan | Thomas | Clare (before he was subbed) were outstanding today, and put in a proper League One display... But can you honestly trust them to do it over a full season, and not be back in this exact situation again in a years time.

Apologies for going on a rant... Leaburn was f**king outstanding... the whole team were and they do deserve to enjoy this 6-0 win - Just equally feels a small kick in the bollocks too
    A good point, although it should be noted that this group of players haven't played together fully fit much this season. And such is the nature of our squad that we don't have the quality in depth currently fit and in form to come in and replace anyone.

I do think today shows us that we can be much better than the sides around us. With a little more squad depth we might have bettered Wycombe last weekend as well. With a couple of quality additions, this 11 could probably play any team in the league pretty tough, maybe excepting Sheffield Wednesday.

I would argue the bigger problem is that six of the starters and 3/5 subs that came on are not contracted to the club next season. For some, that's fine, but once again we are left to rebuild half the first team in the summer because we didn't add enough depth last summer. 
    Of the players out of contract in the summer, I would suggest that other than JRS who won't be in L1 next season and probably Sessegnon, we have a realistic chance of retaining all of them IF Holden wants them AND we can have the ownership sorted in sensible time.
  • Great to see a winning Charlton team with so many of our academy youngsters.

Especially pleased to see young Zach Mitchell get his first experience in the league.
     I thought he slotted in seamlessly with glimpses of his dribbling & passing a real bonus.
    Mitchell started the game against Cheltenham in December.
  • edited April 2023
    Surprise result, but what a surprise it was! 

Until we got our first, that game had all the makings of a typical, nothing to play for end of season 1-0 1-1 0-1 borefest. But, once we sent the first in, league ones most flakey players decided to turn it on and go for another 5. 

Some excellent individual performances and team display. 

I wouldn't say it confusing how we sometimes put on a decent show and other times look like a bunch of non league cloggers, simply, we're predominantly a team of inconsistent league one "stars" sure they mean well and might have the odd stand out attribute like their height, but in order to see a Plymouth or Shrewsbury level of performance everything just has to click at the same time,  and that won't happen often enough over a course of a season to see us challenge. 

Great game today though so hats off, really went for it. 

Leaburn is definitely a cut above but pretty confident we'll see him next season on a loan back, which I think we'll all be fine with.

Edit: comment on Shrewsbury

Didn't offer much of anything, for the first 10 minutes they looked like recreating garnerball with some slow build up and short passing had the slightest of a sniff towards our goal after crowding out JRS early in the first half but never looked like causing bmuch of a problem.
  • Great game yesterday, we showed what we can produce - but make no bones about it, they were woeful.

Leaburn unplayable 

even Morgan was good but Henry to me is an upgrade on him
  • Was their keeper, the one who called out a fan for comments made during the game a season or two back?
  • Kap10 said:
    Anyone know where I might be able to watch highlights, I’m in Budapest at the moment and sky video isn’t supported?
    Maybe Charltons you Tube channel
    Thanks.

Totally forgot about that.
  • Oggy Red said:
    ross1 said:
    Perhaps DH was right telling AM that he will give him a run of games, helps gives him confidence 
    Yep, I think that's great man-management.

Obviously you can't do that with each and every player, but horses for courses and all that, if he thinks it could be the making of Albie to play without pressure and fear of making a mistake, and it gets the performances he's looking for, then that's smart by Holden.

It's often been said that Albie dazzles on the training ground, if only he could transfer that self-belief consistently to his match day performances.

Sorry but Morgan has shown too often that he can have the occasional "decent" game & then is awful for the next few. These are the players we should be shipping out otherwise nothing will change.
    Very easy to see the difference between Morgan and Henry. Too many back passes from Morgan with inaccurate attempted long passes. Henry goes forward with much better passes. A good goal from Morgan yesterday but his first touch was poor. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Look, let’s be honest.  It’s only now we’re beginning to reap the rewards of the Les Reed managerial era.   These things take time to come to fruition. 

We all just need to be patient.  But we’re heading in the right direction.  Thank you Les.  

• aliwibble said:
    I'm on limited screen time at the mo, as I had an op on my bad eye just over a week ago, and my distance vision is still moderately buggered, so turning over to Final Score at about ten past five was a novel experience. Squinting as the score scrolled across the bottom of the screen trying to get it in focus: "Is that a 6? Nah, it must be a zero. Nil-nil then? Hang on... Fraser, Morgan, Rak-Sakyi... BLOODY HELL, it is 6! How on earth did we do that then?" Now waiting up for the highlights on ITV, but I may need to go sit nearer to the telly so I can see the ball. 😂
    A blind Charlton fan is a happy Charlton fan  ;)

Good luck with your recuperation
  • Was their keeper, the one who called out a fan for comments made during the game a season or two back?

Yup and was in goal for Donny in the PO Semi Final too 
  • The season may be over for us, but it's still worth attending games to watch as a stand alone spectacle - providing we set out to compete seriously. 

So many great individual performances yesterday.  Quite a privilege to witness Rak-Sakyi at this stage of his career.  For me he oozes quality - with the ease he beats players - and his involvement in making and scoring goals.  His timing on the ball is exceptional.  If he isn't a Premiership player in the making I'll eat my hat. 

Has amazed me how little some of our fans rate him - I think they forget he is just starting out.