Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Shrewsbury Town: Saturday 1st April 2023: KO 3.00Pm

Comments

• The only negative of a win like this is that our dear owner might think if he juuuuuust holds on two more seasons we can make it to the Premier League.

• We looked like a team that has had a really good week on the training ground, as there was a clear pattern of play, and the players were far more in tune with their teammates.
  • ross1 said:
    Perhaps DH was right telling AM that he will give him a run of games, helps gives him confidence 
    Yep, I think that's great man-management.

Obviously you can't do that with each and every player, but horses for courses and all that, if he thinks it could be the making of Albie to play without pressure and fear of making a mistake, and it gets the performances he's looking for, then that's smart by Holden.

It's often been said that Albie dazzles on the training ground, if only he could transfer that self-belief consistently to his match day performances.

• edited April 2023
    Smithy said:
    Shrewsbury completely fell apart in the second half but they were not terrible at all in the first half and we looked excellent.

What happened?? Same players, same formation but everyone was on it and the midfield in particular were excellent. Thomas had a very good game at left back as well.

In a season that will largely remembered for the wrong reasons, it’s great to have a game like that to enjoy. 
    I mis read this and thought you said Shrewsbury looked excellent. 
  • Sponsored links:

• wmcf123 said:
    Morgan : 3 
    I think you mean

Morgan :3 
  • edited April 2023
    Great afternoon - Shrewsbury players gradually lost it. The ref was shocking.

We knocked the ball around with a lot of confidence and remembered how to finish.

• edited April 2023
    I expected a much less convincing win than that .. Holden has got his selections and tactics just right and the players look very together and are playing for one another .. in this topsy turvey division, who knows, the play offs are still a possibility .. good chance that the Ipswich game will be a right humdinger !! .. let's hope so
  • Pleasant shock to come back home to a 6-0 win! 17 points above the bottom 4 now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Great performance and result, some devastating attacking, but their goalkeeper wow.
  • Smithy said:
    Shrewsbury completely fell apart in the second half but they were not terrible at all in the first half and we looked excellent.

What happened?? Same players, same formation but everyone was on it and the midfield in particular were excellent. Thomas had a very good game at left back as well.

In a season that will largely remembered for the wrong reasons, it’s great to have a game like that to enjoy. 
    They played well in the first-half without really troubling us. Tough second-half when you start three down.

• Posted on the match thread but doesn’t that look good
    I have never seen us score 7 at the Valley only 6, so for that reason, Holden out 😂😂😂😂.
  • edited April 2023
    I was at the 6-1 friendly in 2017 v Ipswich, which also featured a goal from a free kick (by Holmes). First time Ive seen us score 6 in a competitive game though!
  • Nug said:
    well I enjoyed that. My son is off to college in the US this summer so only a few more games to enjoy with him for a few years, we’ve been going together since he was 3. Nice to walk out the Valley for once with a spring in our step. Not sure I’ll get a season ticket on my own next year so hope to have a few more performances like that before the end of the season.

Leaburn and Raksaki, take a bow. Dobson and Fraser excellent and I thought Mitchell and Henry looked very good when they came on. We really need some investment to bring in 5 good players and we’ll compete near the top of this division. How Shrewsbury are above us in the table is ridiculous and shows how poor we’ve performed overall this season.

great performance though!
    Lovely post Nug - what it's all about.