Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Shrewsbury Town: Saturday 1st April 2023: KO 3.00Pm

Comments

• We're very good at absolutely smashing teams occasionally. 
    About once every 46ish years.
  • I don't mind repeating that I don't see much of us play but I see enough to know that Inniss is an absolute liability and will never play above this division. You're right on reflection that he may give 100% but otherwise I disagree.

There is a massive gap between Inniss v Purrington and Washington. It's laughable to suggest otherwise.
    'I see enough!' yells man who doesn't watch the team. Weird position to make sweeping statements from. I'm sure there's plenty of people on here who actually watch Charlton who would tell you that last season Washington and Purrington looked a long way from being 'top division 3 players'. We finished 13th you'll recall.
    Fine, have it your way because I didn't say that I don't watch the team.

When Inniss finally gets around to playing in the Second Division like the other two, please do let me know.

I'm looking forward to never hearing from you, lol.
  • Wait until you see us beaten by 11 goals, Aston Villa beat us when I was a lot younger. No doubt someone will tell me the year. If you see this, you will know you reach bottom of your support 
  • Really boring until the Fraser goal.....after that, it was an easy watch. Shrews left so much space and were asking to be picked off.

Thomas and Hector did especially well. Hector looked more dominant defensively than previously and of course, passed really well. Thomas used the ball very well and found his man most times.

Nice end of season game and showed what the team could do against iffy oppo. Really bad day for Shrews. Deserved very little but should have had a pen for the Dobson handball. 
  • Great result, wasn’t there today as have lost interest this season, BUT for me all this does is mask the fact this squad is no where near good enough for a promotion challenge, people talking about signing Albie up ? what happens if we win the remaining games this season? Will people be happy with this squad with a few additions for next season? As i said good result but please remember the majority of this season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Great result, the nonsense happening before the pen was taken made me chuckle. 
  • This is a f##king weird bunch of players. I havent looked it up but it seems like we have more points from teams above us this season than teams below us. I honestly think ML will stay another season, why leave ? He will get games and develop far better here than moving. How people thought we wouldnt miss RS if he left in january is beyond me, the lad will be a top player, I know we wont but if only we could keep him another year. If Morgan could play like today even 50% of the time he would be a shoe in for a new contract. Hector, Innis seems like a partnership developing hopefully we can keep hector.

Last word on today for me is.

Absolutely fantastic ! What happened the previous dire performances this season ?
  • Well what a very pleasant change....a happy journey back up the M1 for me this evening!
    The entire team played some excellent football, the goals were top quality and at last there was spirit, fight and a never say die attitude.
    6 goals a clean sheet and a Happy Valley.
    DH is the right man for the job, now he needs support from the ownership, whoever that may be, as soon as the window opens.
    It's been a long time since I was at The Valley and seen us score 6 without reply. Yep I was there 46 years ago when we last did it. Let's hope it's not another 46 before we do it again!
    46 years ago we scored six but conceded two, against Southampton. You have to go back over 50 years for the last 6-0, August 1972 v Swansea.
  • Great performance, but also the type of performance that annoys me, and I imagine fucks others right off.

Noticed it as well from a Louis Mendez tweet during the game, when he said that days like this, make performances like the 1-0 loss against Cheltenham even more frustrating.

This group of players KNOW they can go out and there and put in performances like that, we're five (?) undefeated now - But we've had to endure Golfie during the Match, through no fault of his own, bemoaning the fact that we're competing with Fleetwood and Exeter for mid-table which to be fair to him is the truth of this campaign.

Feels like the sort of typical match where everyone is putting in an effort for a new Contract, and then we risk going back to the norm next season with pointless soundbite interviews saying: "We knew last season wasnt good enough, we'll put it right again this coming year" - Well we got that last summer and for the most part its been much the same again... The likes of Morgan | Thomas | Clare (before he was subbed) were outstanding today, and put in a proper League One display... But can you honestly trust them to do it over a full season, and not be back in this exact situation again in a years time.

Apologies for going on a rant... Leaburn was f**king outstanding... the whole team were and they do deserve to enjoy this 6-0 win - Just equally feels a small kick in the bollocks too
    Don't apologise same thing every year, shows they can do it when they can be bothered
  • Just seen Steve Cotterells post match interview . I think he must have missed the game and was told they had won 6 nil.
  • Well what a very pleasant change....a happy journey back up the M1 for me this evening!
    The entire team played some excellent football, the goals were top quality and at last there was spirit, fight and a never say die attitude.
    6 goals a clean sheet and a Happy Valley.
    DH is the right man for the job, now he needs support from the ownership, whoever that may be, as soon as the window opens.
    It's been a long time since I was at The Valley and seen us score 6 without reply. Yep I was there 46 years ago when we last did it. Let's hope it's not another 46 before we do it again!
    46 years ago we scored six but conceded two, against Southampton. You have to go back over 50 years for the last 6-0, August 1972 v Swansea.
    Yes very true mate...and I was there for that one as well. 
  • Oggy Red said:
    ross1 said:
    Perhaps DH was right telling AM that he will give him a run of games, helps gives him confidence 
    Yep, I think that's great man-management.

Obviously you can't do that with each and every player, but horses for courses and all that, if he thinks it could be the making of Albie to play without pressure and fear of making a mistake, and it gets the performances he's looking for, then that's smart by Holden.

It's often been said that Albie dazzles on the training ground, if only he could transfer that self-belief consistently to his match day performances.

Sorry but Morgan has shown too often that he can have the occasional "decent" game & then is awful for the next few. These are the players we should be shipping out otherwise nothing will change.
  • Anyone know where I might be able to watch highlights, I’m in Budapest at the moment and sky video isn’t supported?
  • Baffled when people suggest we only played well today because out of contract players were trying harder than they did earlier this season. As if defenders make more mistakes, and attacking players miss chances because they are in the comfort zone.

Indeed the opposite is true, players generally play well when they're confident, and not fearful of a bollocking every time they make a mistake.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2023
    Jonniesta said:
    Fantastic result. 

However another season spent in mid table league 1, coming to the end of season in matches that mean naff all and players are turning up. 

Those that were there hope you enjoyed. 
    But, let's be clear, before Holden we were on course for a relegation fight, so maybe let's enjoy a little optimism this evening?
    Na sod optimism it’s another season spurned in this tin pot league a valley with attendances of circa 11k, no thanks. 

Great to win matches 6-0 but it’s a nothing game we’re already safe and have nothing to play for.
  • Stig said:
    I think there's two factors in the resurrection of Inniss. Firstly, the more pragmatic style of play under Holden means that he has licence to simply 'get rid of it' if needed. That's not to say he's always hoofing the ball, but under Garner when the expectation was that it would always be played out from the back, there were lots of occasions when he looked distinctly uncomfortable. Having the choice of how to play definitely seems to suit him. Secondly, playing alongside Hector means he's not expected to take the lead as the most experienced centre back. He can just get on with his own game without having to worry about anyone else. I like the new look Inniss, if he keeps playing like this I'd definitely want to keep him.
    This
  • Stig said:
    I think there's two factors in the resurrection of Inniss. Firstly, the more pragmatic style of play under Holden means that he has licence to simply 'get rid of it' if needed. That's not to say he's always hoofing the ball, but under Garner when the expectation was that it would always be played out from the back, there were lots of occasions when he looked distinctly uncomfortable. Having the choice of how to play definitely seems to suit him. Secondly, playing alongside Hector means he's not expected to take the lead as the most experienced centre back. He can just get on with his own game without having to worry about anyone else. I like the new look Inniss, if he keeps playing like this I'd definitely want to keep him.
    I’d like to give it a few more games before declaring a resurrection.
  • He also barely hoofed it once today. Always looked for the ball to full back or winger, and it was always on. It's more complex than him hoofing it, it's about giving easy passing options, which we did 
  • Any news on why Egbo wasn’t in the squad. I thought Holden mentioned in his Friday interview that he was set to be included.
  • Jonniesta said:
    Fantastic result. 

However another season spent in mid table league 1, coming to the end of season in matches that mean naff all and players are turning up. 

But, let's be clear, before Holden we were on course for a relegation fight, so maybe let's enjoy a little optimism this evening?
    Na sod optimism it’s another season spurned in this tin pot league a valley with attendances of circa 11k, no thanks. 

Great to win matches 6-0 but it’s a nothing game we’re already safe and have nothing to play for.
    How about pride ?
  • Anyone know where I might be able to watch highlights, I’m in Budapest at the moment and sky video isn’t supported?
    Maybe Charltons you Tube channel
  • Great performance, as I said after kick off, its games like this that make the other shit worthwhile.

RS my player of the match but there are a number of candidates.

Nice that Bonne finally broke his duck, even if I would have preferred Kanu to get 20 minutes. 

One of the best moments was seeing number 33 Flannagan get a red, he shit housed throughout the game
  • Wellred said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Fantastic result. 

How about pride ?
    I was proud to see my club walk out at ot and go toe to toe with United for 90 mins. 

Beating a mid table Shrewsbury - great but I won’t be rolling the red carpet out for these players just yet we have been dire a lot of this season. The table doesn’t lie