Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Shrewsbury Town: Saturday 1st April 2023: KO 3.00Pm

Comments

• All probably going to be said about the game so just a couple of points from me.

I thought young Mitchell looked so composed for a 17(?) year old. He could be the next one of the conveyor belt. I hope he gets a couple of starts before the end of the season.

Like wise Aaron Henry. That was a really good display for 30 minutes. There's a talent there. I just wonder whether he will sign or a new contract or try his luck elsewhere.

Talking of new contracts, I think it is looking almost certain that Morgan and Thomas are going to get new deals. The fact Holden is playing both speaks volume. Clare presumably will be offered something. 

Can only hope that Hector is offered something and is willing to sign. He just looks so comfortable at this level. And he is even making Inniss look good!

As for Bonne, who knows! Certainly all his team mates looked really pleased for him when he scored. And Holden spoke well of him in his post match interview. There couldn't be a contract offer for him as well, could there?
    good post .. every season players released from lower league clubs find it more and more difficult to get a new club .. I thought that about half a dozen of today's squad (e.g. Morgan, Thomas, Payne) would be down the road in the summer.
     Holden has got them motivated; through fear of being 'sacked', getting through to them exactly what he wants, or them just finding form at last, who knows? .. i m o it's always good to retain as many players who were playing well at season's end for the next campaign .. let's hope that Leaburn for example doesn't get itchy feet and/or big bids are put in for him, and we can keep all the players that Holden wants to keep
  • LenGlover said:
    Pleasant shock to come back home to a 6-0 win! 17 points above the bottom 4 now.
    Can't relax yet, Len ...... not while it's still mathematically possible to get relegated. ;)

• Thourghly enjoyable amidst the dross of this season. It was noticeable their were a lot of smiles out there amongst our players and despite a previous post the ref was a cut above the rest we've seen this season.
    He can have a assist for the 2nd
  • Leaburn's threat is allowing gaps for other players to get into scoring positions, the chances created need to be finished but even in games where we haven't played that well, chances were created. After Storrie's pitch for season tickets, it would be madness to even contemplate the sale of Leaburn,  any new owner should be adding to the squad rather than selling our assets, we will see. 
  • Sponsored links:

• The joy of six, get in!
  • Ffs Albie Morgan tempts me every year into thinking next year is his year. Will keep happening until he leaves and then the year after that will actually be his year! 
  • Pelham123 said:
    That was very pleasing for all the Academy Staff . Including Thomas and Clare not many clubs could compete with that achievement of bringing through so players to the first team. Well done.

I counted 8 who played at some point today, including Clare and Thomas.

• All probably going to be said about the game so just a couple of points from me.

I thought young Mitchell looked so composed for a 17(?) year old. He could be the next one of the conveyor belt. I hope he gets a couple of starts before the end of the season.

Like wise Aaron Henry. That was a really good display for 30 minutes. There's a talent there. I just wonder whether he will sign or a new contract or try his luck elsewhere.

Talking of new contracts, I think it is looking almost certain that Morgan and Thomas are going to get new deals. The fact Holden is playing both speaks volume. Clare presumably will be offered something. 

Can only hope that Hector is offered something and is willing to sign. He just looks so comfortable at this level. And he is even making Inniss look good!

As for Bonne, who knows! Certainly all his team mates looked really pleased for him when he scored. And Holden spoke well of him in his post match interview. There couldn't be a contract offer for him as well, could there?
    good post .. every season players released from lower league clubs find it more and more difficult to get a new club .. I thought that about half a dozen of today's squad (e.g. Morgan, Thomas, Payne) would be down the road in the summer.
     Holden has got them motivated; through fear of being 'sacked', getting through to them exactly what he wants, or them just finding form at last, who knows? .. i m o it's always good to retain as many players who were playing well at season's end for the next campaign .. let's hope that Leaburn for example doesn't get itchy feet and/or big bids are put in for him, and we can keep all the players that Holden wants to keep
    Not a dig at the poster in particular but if we reward those who just put in a good end of season so they get a contract then the danger is they just revert to type next season and we are no better off than we are now.

For me, the jury's out on Thomas. I'd sign Hector if he will sign. With him and Ness we'd need another two centre halves with Mitchell coming through as back up. So of the two centre halves needed one would be a new signing and then maybe offer a deal to Inniss over Thomas. Inniss has improved alongside Hector. But then has Inniss just improved because he's after a new contract? Ideally he'd be released too but I fear we are going to struggle to offload Lavelle, Kirk, DJ and McGrandles without financially paving the way for that happening and if that's the case the budget will be eaten into. Inniss might have to stay out of necessity. And that's without getting started on the Morgan and Henry debate.
  • We've finally stumbled upon the answer. Now give them all a 5 year contract and play them every week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Been out to a pub with no phone reception so only followed first 10 mins on match thread 

very pleased to see result when left the pub. 

Seems like one of those games where everything clicked. 

• Never mind scoring 6 goals in a match at The Valley for the first time in 46 years, Dean Holden will be most relieved we got the clean sheet!

• Stig said:
    I know there's far more important things for us in today's match but wtf was that all about with them trying to scuff the penalty spot? Shrewsbury were 4-0 down and hadn't looked like scoring since the 10th minute. Whatever happened with the penalty, there was no way they were getting anything from that game. All they did was pile up yellows. Silly little twerps.
    This seems to have become a 'thing' this year. No idea where or when it started but more and more we're starting to see the attacking team getting the wagons in a circle around the spot. Bloody ridiculous on all sides and needs stamping on. 
  • Missed it as I'm in Amsterdam and thought my mate was on a wind up when he messaged me the score 😂

Not a dig at the poster in particular but if we reward those who just put in a good end of season so they get a contract then the danger is they just revert to type next season and we are no better off than we are now.

For me, the jury's out on Thomas. I'd sign Hector if he will sign. With him and Ness we'd need another two centre halves with Mitchell coming through as back up. So of the two centre halves needed one would be a new signing and then maybe offer a deal to Inniss over Thomas. Inniss has improved alongside Hector. But then has Inniss just improved because he's after a new contract? Ideally he'd be released too but I fear we are going to struggle to offload Lavelle, Kirk, DJ and McGrandles without financially paving the way for that happening and if that's the case the budget will be eaten into. Inniss might have to stay out of necessity. And that's without getting started on the Morgan and Henry debate.
    know what you mean about slackers having a good end of season in order to try and con the management .. that occurred to me as well .. so, the key issue is my point about Holden retaining as far as possible, those he really wants .. he should have the nous to sort the crafty slacking chaff from the consistent golden wheat
  • Gawd this team are so frustrating. Cracking performance and amazing result, so churlish to complain, but why the effing hell can't they play like that all the time!

Nice feeling to have given someone a right hiding though innit? 
  • We're not good enough for automatic promotion BUT with the players we have we should still be fighting for the playoffs. No way should we be 9/10 points behind Pompey and Wycombe.