Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Shrewsbury Town: Saturday 1st April 2023: KO 3.00Pm

Comments

• Mightily impressed with Henry. He reminded me of Dobbo - no greater praise.
  • https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/shrewsbury-town-fc/2023/04/01/i-never-saw-that-coming-steve-cotterill-rues-defensive-errors-in-shrewsburys-6-0-loss-at-charlton/

Never seen such a deluded post match. I don't remember them having good chances or our goals against the run of play. Muppet.
    gotta be an April Mug report  :*
  • Wow

Best performance I have seen this season - Shrews always horrible to watch / play against - I thought it was fairly ‘even steven’s’ until Fraser free kick goal - from that point on, we were superb - spraying the ball about, battling, winning the 2nd ball, using the full width of the pitch, moving the ball quickly

Only 2 downsides

1) would have been lovely to see Miles get a hat-trick 

2) I had £10 on 3-0 Charlton win - would have won me £210 - had chance to cash out at £70 when it was 3-0 - like a knobhead, I didn’t 

But if that are my only 2 moans, what a Saturday

Now, to finish off a great day, Lady Flash, fancy an early night……..

😉
    I guess a bit like supporting Charlton, you live in hope.
  • Very nice win but let's be honest, entirely meaningless.

The.bloke involved in the first three goals plays for Palace and won't be at Charlton next season. 

Both teams are mid table League 1 with nothing to play for. As soon as any team puts up a fight,. we crumble. Fortunately, they didn't have to. . 

I had a sleep in the second.half to be honest. 

That was far from meaningless today it's just what we all needed gives us the lift & confidence back in our team with the ST going on sale it's so important we have a strong finish to the end of the season 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Not for a minute suggesting Albie was the best on the pitch, he wasn't.

I just post these to show the statistically developed ratings. 

6.6 for Hector is an absolute joke.
    I agree

Compared to Inniss:

Hector left, Inniss Right

• se9addick said:
    NabySarr said:
    Ffs Albie Morgan tempts me every year into thinking next year is his year. Will keep happening until he leaves and then the year after that will actually be his year! 
    I’m normally his biggest critic but he took his goal very nicely today.

We do need to be vigilant against the people who think he should get another contract though, they exist, they’ll be emboldened by todays performance and they pose a real danger to our football club. 
    Then you may well need to be vigilant about Holden.

The way he walked off with Morgan , like a proud father with his young son, didn't look to me the way he would react with someone he was about to get rid off.
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    NabySarr said:
    Ffs Albie Morgan tempts me every year into thinking next year is his year. Will keep happening until he leaves and then the year after that will actually be his year! 

We do need to be vigilant against the people who think he should get another contract though, they exist, they’ll be emboldened by todays performance and they pose a real danger to our football club. 

The way he walked off with Morgan , like a proud father with his young son, didn't look to me the way he would react with someone he was about to get rid off.
    I know, it’s very concerning.  

Stay vigilant. 
  • We're very good at absolutely smashing teams occasionally. It's somehow more frustrating than if we were just average all the time. I've always felt that the players aren't as bad as some make out, there's plenty of talent in this team we've just struggled to utilise it. Obviously the Leaburn injury has caused us a fair bit of trouble with no backup able to replace him but what he has done is shown us the blueprint for the kind of striker we need. Strong and mobile, able to hold up a bit, come deep to relieve pressure on the team when needed and pull wide to make space for others. That's what we should be looking for in place of Bonne in the summer.
    Once again, really frustrating that we've wasted the season when we had JRS on another load of mid-table averageness. We'll really miss him next season and we're going to have to improve all over the pitch to make up for what we won't have with him gone next year.
    Finally, good for Albie and all but I've seen too much. Given his contract expires at the end of the season it feels like the right time to assess what we need alongside Dobson and Fraser in the middle and trade up
  • Kap10 said:

Oggy Red said:
    se9addick said:
    Amazing! Think that must be the biggest home win I’ve ever seen.

The scary thing is, I saw all 3 of those games back in the 70s.

I remember watching the 6-2 v Swansea Town, as they were then. Peter Reeves scored 2, I'm not saying it was a fix but the referee and linesman both had surnames.... Reeves
    those 2 goals must have constituted a high percentage of his career total  :D
  • se9addick said:
    NabySarr said:

Was he hugging and kissing Bonne too? My real fear is most if not all of those out of contract will end up on new deals and there's only one I'd keep, Hector.
  • That what I expect each week. Enjoyed that one. 
  • se9addick said:
    NabySarr said:

Was he hugging and kissing Bonne too? My real fear is most if not all of those out of contract will end up on new deals and there's only one I'd keep, Hector.
    No. But he spoke very well of him in the post match interview (as he was bound to do really).

I do take your point about not offering contracts to the like of Morgan, Thomas, Inniss. But it's a difficult one. Are we really going to get better on the budget we have?

I remember last year lots saying we could do better than Washington and Purrington. That turned out to be false.
    this is the key point .. I'll say it again, keep as many as Holden wants to keep
  • se9addick said:
    NabySarr said:

No. But he spoke very well of him in the post match interview (as he was bound to do really).

I do take your point about not offering contracts to the like of Morgan, Thomas, Inniss. But it's a difficult one. Are we really going to get better on the budget we have?

I remember last year lots saying we could do better than Washington and Purrington. That turned out to be false.
    Oh, come on. I don't see much of us play but seriously - you can't put Purrington and Washington in the same bracket. Both always gave 100 per cent for starters. Then they played and proved themselves to be top Division 3 players.
    Seriously - Inniss - I wouldn't trust him to close the greenhouse door without breaking it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Can we collectively agree not to use today as an argument for players who’ve been awful all season to get new contracts
  • se9addick said:
    NabySarr said:

I’d consider putting Thomas in the “if cheap, let’s keep” bucket.
  • I don't mind repeating that I don't see much of us play but I see enough to know that Inniss is an absolute liability and will never play above this division. You're right on reflection that he may give 100% but otherwise I disagree.

There is a massive gap between Inniss v Purrington and Washington. It's laughable to suggest otherwise.
    'I see enough!' yells man who doesn't watch the team. Weird position to make sweeping statements from. I'm sure there's plenty of people on here who actually watch Charlton who would tell you that last season Washington and Purrington looked a long way from being 'top division 3 players'. We finished 13th you'll recall.
  • We played very well but 3-0 at HT was flattering.
    We've played better and gone in behind.
    2nd half I expected a different game, but Shrewsbury just folded.
    We always do decent against teams that less us play and Shrewsbury just stood off of us and let us shoot at goal all day long.
    An impressive win, but Shrewsbury were already dreaming of their holidays.
  • Great performance, but also the type of performance that annoys me, and I imagine fucks others right off.

Noticed it as well from a Louis Mendez tweet during the game, when he said that days like this, make performances like the 1-0 loss against Cheltenham even more frustrating.

This group of players KNOW they can go out and there and put in performances like that, we're five (?) undefeated now - But we've had to endure Golfie during the Match, through no fault of his own, bemoaning the fact that we're competing with Fleetwood and Exeter for mid-table which to be fair to him is the truth of this campaign.

Feels like the sort of typical match where everyone is putting in an effort for a new Contract, and then we risk going back to the norm next season with pointless soundbite interviews saying: "We knew last season wasnt good enough, we'll put it right again this coming year" - Well we got that last summer and for the most part its been much the same again... The likes of Morgan | Thomas | Clare (before he was subbed) were outstanding today, and put in a proper League One display... But can you honestly trust them to do it over a full season, and not be back in this exact situation again in a years time.

Apologies for going on a rant... Leaburn was f**king outstanding... the whole team were and they do deserve to enjoy this 6-0 win - Just equally feels a small kick in the bollocks too
    I think there is an explanation. Leaburn is developing into a top striker for the level and consequently with the pace we have up front we now represent more of a goal threat. Earlier in the season the blueprint to stop us was to get bodies behind the ball. It was as simpe as that. We are not there yet but that is not as easy to do now. The trick for next season is to make it impossible.
  • PWR

Just 4 words.

A Happy Fanny tonight   :)

( BTW Players not just playing for their contracts..but for POTY votes !)