Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grand National 2023

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Apologies. Senior moment re Battleoverdoyen.

Balko Des Flos was trained by Henry de Bromhead, of course, not Gordon Elliott.

I know, the whole thing’s ruined   :/
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Fair bit of rain forecast on Merseyside until Easter weekend and off and on for the week of the Aintree meeting.
    Good news for Delta Work if it pans out that way - anything softer than last year a big plus.
  • Options

Balko Des Flos was trained by Henry de Bromhead, of course, not Gordon Elliott.

Originally trained by WPM, until O'Leary though he could get the same level of service elsewhere on the cheap :)
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Rumours are Pencilfulloflead will be scratched at the next Forfeit Stage next Tuesday - presumably injured, hopefully not serious.

Same for Threeunderfive, Happygolucky and Remastered and Hewick we already knew about

Ga Law 
    hasn't qualified.

So by my reckoning, assuming Cilaos Emery also doesn't qualify (carrying 12-00 has to be placed first 4 in competitive looking 26f chase on Saturday), if all the rest were to stand their ground at declarations on 13 April, 31 of the 40 starters would be Irish-trained and the cut would come at 145.

Of course, there will be more scratched prior to then however.

I still estimate Back On The Lash (#60 at last Forfeit Stage) should get a run with GNOR140 even with a 2lb drop in his mark announced today. 

Updated handicap marks for British runners:

Corach Rambler 156 (puts him officially 10lbs well in)
    Sam Brown 156 (3lbs wrong)
    Cloudy Glen 142 (3lbs wrong)
    The Big Breakaway 149 (2lbs wrong)
    Mister Coffey 143 (2lbs wrong)
    Back On The Lash 138 (2lbs wrong)

Already known:
    Our Power 147 (6lbs well-in)

• Options
    FWIW, among the changes to Irish marks made by the Irish handicapper:

Mr Incredible +3 (147) - GNOR145
    Battleoverdoyen -2 (138) - GNOR145
    A Wave of The Sea -1 (144) - GNOR147
    Franco De Port -1 (156) - GNOR158

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Just heard that sadly Farclas (not unexpected) and Death Duty are out - saves me the "shall I, shan't I?"

I'd better have a quick squint again further down the weights, though assuming Any Second Now doesn't get injured before decs, anything below Back On The Lash will be 2lbs+ out of the handicap.
  • Options
    Great work Mr Molloy
    I know you are not convinced by Longhouse Poet but it could get its required ground. That is a long run in at Aintree though as plenty of horses have discovered. 
  • Options
    Rumours are Pencilfulloflead will be scratched at the next Forfeit Stage next Tuesday - presumably injured, hopefully not serious.

Same for Threeunderfive, Happygolucky and Remastered and Hewick we already knew about

Ga Law 
    hasn't qualified.

So by my reckoning, assuming Cilaos Emery also doesn't qualify (carrying 12-00 has to be placed first 4 in competitive looking 26f chase on Saturday), if all the rest were to stand their ground at declarations on 13 April, 31 of the 40 starters would be Irish-trained and the cut would come at 145.

I still estimate Back On The Lash (#60 at last Forfeit Stage) should get a run with GNOR140 even with a 2lb drop in his mark announced today. 

Already known:

...looks like PaddyPower are listening to you as they have suspended any cash out options for Pencilfulloflead: bastards!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great work Mr Molloy
    I know you are not convinced by Longhouse Poet but it could get its required ground. That is a long run in at Aintree though as plenty of horses have discovered. 
    Cheers @Starinnaddick
    Absolutely, slower ground than last year would really help the Poet.
    Got a lot going for him pedigree-wise - including sharing sire with Noble Yeats and Damsire (Moscow Society) with Seabass.
    I definitely see him in contention for a long way and Martin Brassil knows him better than anyone. Maybe tactics and ground will make the crucial difference this time.
    Best of luck.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    meldrew66 said:

Ga Law 
    hasn't qualified.

Already known:

...looks like PaddyPower are listening to you as they have suspended any cash out options for Pencilfulloflead: bastards!
    Sorry @meldrew66
    I bailed (bet365) when I saw he was lame for that Down Royal race but could easily have hung on and paid the same price.
    I hope your picks more than make up for it on the day.
    Cheers
  • Options
    Assuming Conflated is definitely scratched, then all the GNOR145s are in, including Battleoverdoyen.
    12 more to come out above Back On The Lash by 13 April for him to get a run. 

• Options
    Assuming Conflated is definitely scratched, then all the GNOR145s are in, including Battleoverdoyen.

I will be surprised if Back on the Lash fails to get a run. He is 129/1 on Betfair but it is win only. I am considering having a tenner but i would prefer an each way bet.
  • Options

I will be surprised if Back on the Lash fails to get a run. He is 129/1 on Betfair but it is win only. I am considering having a tenner but i would prefer an each way bet.
    He should do but next Tuesday's 2nd Forfeit will tell us a lot as there were a lot of GN entries that ran last week and Aintree may be considered too soon.
    I'd expect some more to come out, in addition to those rumoured.
    The there's the Irish GN on Easter Monday 9 April, which might take some out of Aintree consideration, especially as per ground preferences.
    Aintree Confirmation Stage that same day, 9 April, before Declarations on Thursday 13 April.
    But no Reserves this year so he has to make the top 40 by 13th April.
  • Options

GN entries also entered for Topham the previous day:

Ashtown Lad - Skelton said he didn't get home when 5th in the Scot Nat (patently clear) so Topham logical
    Battleoverdoyen - was switched from GN to Topham last year - anything's possible but he got outpaced then and the talk from Elliott has been to roll the dice in the big one
    Escaria Ten - Elliott's said he didn't get the trip last GN (possibly a tad harsh given he'd had an injury-delayed campaign) but would be logical to run him over the shorter trip
    Fantasikas - unlikely to make cut in GN
    Francky Du Berlais - 4th last Topham and didn't get home in the 30f XC so would be nuts not to run him over the 21f
    Gevrey - even if makes GN cut will be a mile out of the handicap so nuts not to run him in Friday's race
    Gin On Lime - unexposed >24f save for UR in XC so could go either way - owner had to scratch Pencilfulloflead so might sway opting for the biggie

• Options
    Sad news that One For Arthur has died.
    So too Pencilfulloflead.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Ga Law 
    hasn't qualified.

Already known:

BHA handicapper has also updated marks for the Irish runners, including:

Mr Incredible 150 - 5lbs well in
    Delta Work 160  - 1lb well in
    Galvin 160 - 6lbs wrong

Seems like both Timeform and the Racing Post (who originally gave Delta Work an RPR168 but now upped to 169) view the quality of the Festival XC higher than the handicapper.

Makes little to no difference to my model’s ratings. Delta Work, Mr Incredible and The Big Breakaway remain the 3 top-rated on any ground.

Of course it's not irrelevant that horses have run well since their GN weights were set but the short-price handicap “good things” that have flopped in a GN are legion - in recent years, 8/1 Rocky Creek was 9lbs well-in in 2015 (17th 100L), 10/1 Definitly Red was 10lbs well-in in 2017 (PU) and 11/2 fav Cloth Cap a whopping 14lbs in 2021 (PU).
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Family Fortunes

While far from an infallible guide, down the years there are many GN debutants that have made the frame (some going on to do so again) for whom a clue lay in genealogy - specifically (and importantly for the stamina gene in horse breeding) a connection via the dam-line within 5 Generations (or sometimes even more distantly; within 9 Gens) with a previous GN winner or frame-maker or other notable stayer. For example:

2012:
    Cappa Bleu 4th - closely related via his maternal Great-Grandmother (3rd Dam), who was Mother (Dam) of the top Irish stayer Cahervillahow (carried 11-12 when SHd 2nd in 1991 Irish GN and of the memorable silks - pink with red hearts)

2013:
    Teaforthree 3rd - [more distantly] Mely Moss (close 2nd 2000 GN)
    Rare Bob 5th (not debutant but BD prior run) - Bindaree (won 2002 GN)

2014:
    Double Seven 3rd - Cappa Bleu
    Alvarado 4th - 1/2 brother to Character Building (close 2nd 4m NH Cup) & [dist] Miinnehoma (won 1994 GN)

2016:
    The Last Samuri 2nd - [dist] Many Clouds (won 2015 GN)
    Gilgamboa 4th - [dist] Lastofthebrownies (4th 1989 GN & 5th 1990 GN)

2018:
    Pleasant Company 2nd (not a debutant but unlucky in prior run) - Comply Or Die (won 2008 GN)

2019:
    Walk In The Mill 4th - [dist] Cappa Bleu & Double Seven

2021:
    Balko Des Flos 2nd - [dist] Garrison Savannah (2nd 1991 GN) and Carvills Hill (won 1991 Welsh GN with 11-12)
    Any Second Now 3rd - Gilgamboa

Again, it is not an infallible guide but among this year's GN debutants (likely to make the cut) with family connections within 5 Generations of possible note are:
    • Le Milos (4th Dam) - Cogry (close 2nd Scot Nat and unlucky close 3rd in Midlands National with 11-00)
    • The Big Breakaway (2nd Dam) - Rathvinden (close 3rd 2019 GN)
    • Corach Rambler (4th Dam) - Any Second Now
    • Dunboyne (3rd Dam) - Ms Parfois (close 2nd Midlands National with 11-04 and close 2nd 4m NH Cup)
    And more distant (6~9th Gen) connections: 
    • The Big Dog - Romany King (close 2nd 1992 GN)
    • Quick Wave - Grittar (won 1982 GN) & Maori Venture (won 1987 GN)
    • A Wave of The Sea - Cause Of Causes (close 2nd 2017 GN)
    • Mr Incredible - Bonanza Boy (x2 Welsh GN winner incl with 11-11, won Midlands National with 11-10 & 5th 1991 GN with 11-07)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2023

And, though this too is far from infallible (obviously!), these are the stallions represented by progeny this year (and likely to make the cut) whose offspring have 20%+ frame-making rate in chases over 4m+ in 10+ runs:

With multiple winners:

Gold Well (30 runs, 3 different winners, 5 wins [Scot Nat - Win My Wings], 6 places = 36.7% frame-making) - Galvin
    Cloudings (29 runs, 4 different winners, 4 wins [GN - Many Clouds], 5 places= 31%) - Cloudy Glen
    Yeats (19 runs, 3 different winners, 3 wins [GN - Noble Yeats], 2 places = 26.3%) - Noble Yeats, Longhouse Poet, Dunboyne
    Oscar (46 runs, 3 different winners, 3 wins [GN - Minella Times], 8 places = 23.9%) - Any Second Now

Others with >20% frame-making or multiple winners:

Malinas 
    (11 runs, 1 winner, 2 wins [Scot Nat - Mighty Thunder], 2 places = 33.4%) - Back On The Lash
    Stowaway (16 runs, 1 win [0 Class 1], 4 places = 31.3%) - Fury Road 
    Mahler (19 runs, 1 win [0 Class 1], 4 places = 26.3%) - The Big Dog, Chris's Dream
    Network (13 runs, 0 wins, 3 places = 23.1%) - Delta Work, Enjoy D'Allen
    Westerner 
    (32, 2 winners, 2 wins [Mid Nat - Truckers Lodge], 4 places = 18.8%) - Mr Incredible

And those with small-samples but 1+ winner: 

Black Sam Bellamy 
    (7, 3 different winners, 4 wins [0 Class 1), 1 place = 71.4%) - Sam Brown
    Scorpion (3, 1 [Mid Nat - Major Dundee], 1 = 66.7%) - Rapper
    Shirocco (5, 1 [4m Novice NH Cup - Minella Rocco], 0 places = 20%) - Le Milos, Velvet Elvis, Eva's Oskar, Fortescue

And those whose offspring have <10% frame-making rate and no wins from 10+ runs at 4m+:

Martaline 
    (11, 0, 0) -  Diol Ker, Vanillier
    Kapgarde 
    (11, 0, 1) - Lifetime Ambition
    Saint Des Saints (11, 0, 1) - Gaillard Du Mesnil, Francky Du Berlais (interesting how he went really well in the XC but was out of gas around 29f - just as Burrows Saint was when 4th in the 2021 GN)
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Cilaos Emery didn't manage the first 4 at Kelso yesterday and so joins Glamorgan Duke and Ga Law as failing to qualify to run in the GN.
    With others known to be scratched ahead of Tuesday's 2nd Forfeit Stage, it seems like we're currently down to 64 remaining.
    By my reckoning, to make the cut, Back On The Lash needs another 12 to come out by Declarations on 13 April.
    Above him, 14 have entries for the Irish GN and 5 others for the Topham. 

• Options

Apparently he has died  https://www.racingpost.com/profile/horse/2871815/pencilfulloflead/form  (top left)
  • Options

Apparently he has died  https://www.racingpost.com/profile/horse/2871815/pencilfulloflead/form  (top left)
    Thanks @RobinKeepsBobbin
    Very sad.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

As we all know, the changes to the fences post-2012 have had a dramatic effect on the nature of the test that is the Aintree Grand National.
    It's changed from being a test of extreme stamina and jumping prowess to one of extreme stamina at high cruising speed.
    That's also had a dramatic effect on the profile of horses that tend to run well in a modern Grand National, illustrated by 2 strong stats.

1. AGE

In 24 GNs from 1988~2012, only 2 8 year olds won it. The average age of all winners was 10 and 8 of the 24 winners were 11 or 12.

2013 and 2014 were transitional years, with riders under orders to drop the early pace to minimise the risk of fatalities. Thus famously, for the first time in history, all 40 runners cleared Bechers Brook (6th fence) in 2013. Times were 6~8 secs slow of std on officially "Good to Soft" and, once again, both winners were 11 year olds.

Still on GS but run in a time 7 secs fast of standard, 2015 was the first of the truly-run "modern GNs" and it saw the first 8 year old winner (Many Clouds) since 2002. Given the relative outperformance by younger runners ever since, it was no shock to anyone observing this trend to see the first 7 yo winner for 82 years last year.

In total, stats for the 7 GNs from 2015 confirm a marked outperformance by 8 year olds with 7 and 9 year-olds performing as per representation. Indeed all 7 winners were 7~9 yo:

7yo - 4.7% of runners contributed 1 winner (7.7% of the 7 winners and 6 near-missers <5L) and 5.7% of frame-makers 
    8yo - 19.9% = 4 winners & 1 near-misser (38.5%) and 34.3% of frame-makers
    9yo - 28.6% = 2 winners & 2 n-m (30.8%) and 25.7% of frame-makers
    10yo - 22.8% = 0 winner & 2 n-m (15.4%) and 17.1% of frame-makers
    11yo - 13.8% = 0 winner & 1 n-m (7.7%) and 11.4% of frame-makers
    12yo+ - 9.8% = 0 winners or n-m and 5.7% of frame-makers

Also, all 12 of those aged 10+ to make the frame were either Grade 1 winners over fences at 3m+ that had come down by >14lbs in the handicap (Balko Des Flos and Santini) or had won at 28f+ or made the frame or run well without luck in a prior GN. 

So all is not lost for Any Second Now, Delta Work, The Big Dog, (possibly) Cloudy Glen or Battleoverdoyen but not a promising stat for:
    • Sam Brown
    • Carefully Selected
    • Darasso
    • The Shunter
    • Roi Mage
    • Hill Sixteen
    • Francky Du Berlais

2. HURDLING ABILITY

They may be famously tall and/or deep but the spruce fences are unlike conventional steeplechase fences and to be able to jump them and travel at the high cruising speed of a modern GN, there's a strong statistical correlation with having shown a reasonable ability over hurdles.

Since 2013, all 9 winners, indeed all 45 that finished 1st~5th that had previously run at least 3 times over hurdles (only Walk In The Mill hadn't run in 3 hurdles but he already had a Becher Chase win on his CV) had achieved a hurdles RPR of >125. In fact, all winners and runners-up and 91% of all frame-makers had notched 130+.

Those still entered for the 2023 GN (and likely to make the cut) that have failed to notch >125 in 3+ hurdle races:
    • Royale Pagaille (best 111 in 4)
    • Le Milos (125 in 13)
    • Quick Wave (111 in 6)
    • Ain't That A Shame (117 in 3)
    • Corach Rambler (122 in 3)
    • Lord Lariat (118 in 11)
    • Enjoy D'Allen (120 in 12)
    • Gabby's Cross (124 in 7)
    • Recite A Prayer (108 in 3)
    • Fortescue (110 in 5)

All of this said, there should be no such thing as a single elimination stat - all stats are capable of being broken.
    But these 2 are among the Golden Stat-Tests that very few, if any, GN frame-makers from 2013~22 have failed.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Rapper and Chris's Dream will apparently be scratched in tomorrow's Forfeit Stage.
    As of now, 62 left and Back On The Lash is #50. 
    Still 19 horses above him with entries for either Irish GN or Topham.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Two more damside "Pedigree-Plus" stats, reflecting the growing trend in NH pedigrees and those successful in a modern GN for flat speed over a trip.

Independently, each shows a statistically meaningful correlation but putting them together produces a remarkable result.

Of the 356 runners in the 9 GNs 2013~22:

1. 78 of them (21.9%) had a Damsire that had offspring (as sire or damsire) that had won a G1 at 10f+ on the flat AND a 2nd or 3rd Damsire that had either done likewise or had Damsired a GN 1st~4th.

That 21.9% contributed 7 of the 9 winners (77.8%) and another 3 of the 7 finishing <5L of them (62.5% of winners and near-missers). Indeed it accounted for 42.2% of all 1st~5th in those GNs. In other words, 1 in 4 of runners ticking this box made the frame (compared to a random distribution of 1 in 8)

Of this year's entries down to #60 at the weights, the following ticked this box:
    • The Big Dog
    • Capodanno
    • Coko Beach
    • Le Milos
    • Cape Gentleman
    • Roi Mage
    • A Wave Of The Sea
    • Minella Trump
    • Velvet Elvis
    • Ain't That A Shame
    • Mister Incredible
    • Mister Coffey
    • Ashtown Lad
    • Our Power
    • Dunboyne
    • Back On The Lash

41 of the 356 GN runners 2013~22 (11.5%) had the genetically-electric combo on the damside of Wild Risk and Bold Ruler.

That 11.5% contributed 5 of the 9 winners (55.6%) and another 3 near-missers (50% of winners and near-missers). It accounted for 28.9% of all 1st~5th. Thus, 1 in 3 of them made the frame (again compared to 1 in 8, if outcomes were random).

Of this year's remaining entries down to #60 at the weights, the following ticked this box:
    • Conflated (probably to be scratched)
    • Delta Work
    • Lifetime Ambition
    • Coko Beach
    • Longhouse Poet
    • A Wave Of The Sea
    • Dunboyne

Combination. If we put the 2 stats together, just 13 of the 356 runners (only 9 different horses) 2013~22 ticked both boxes. They were:

2013: Tatenen - Fell at 12th fence
    2016: Rule The World - Won
    2017: One For Arthur - Won
    2018: Tiger Roll - Won
    2019: Tiger Roll - Won / Magic of Light - 2nd (2.75L) / One For Arthur - 6th / Rock The Kasbah - BD
    2021: Minella Times - Won / Magic Of Light - UR 4th fence
    2022: Fiddlerontheroof 5th / Minella Times - BD / Coko Beach - 8th

So, 13 runs produced 5 winners and 3 places. 5 of the 9 different horses ticking both boxes were a winner or near-misser. 

Of this year's entries 3 tick both boxes:
    • Coko Beach (didn't get home last time and runs off 5lb higher GNOR this year)
    • A Wave Of The Sea (shit or bust - Minella Times or Tatenen)
    • Dunboyne (due to carry just 10-00, he's also by Yeats, who sired last year's GN winner Noble Yeats)

In a nutshell, DUNBOYNE (66/1 or 40/1 NRNB) has the strongest GN-starred pedigree of any potential runner this year.

Will he get 34f? His family connection via 3rd Dam to the dour stayer Ms Parfois suggests yes.

The biggest issue for him is ground since, like his relative, he really needs it soft or at least slowish GS. FWIW, we're due a Soft ground GN and the forecast is for rain for the rest of the week on Merseyside, though drier with rain still about up to 15 April.

Will he run? Disconcertingly, Elliott speaks of running as many as possible in the Irish GN, 5 days prior to Aintree, with Dunboyne mentioned as one of them. Any bet on him right now must be NRNB and accompanied by a regular rain dance.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    In addition to those we knew about, Irish GN winner Lord Lariat joins Franco de Port and Ashtown Lad as defections at today's Forfeit Stage.

Scratched:

HEWICK
    CONFLATED
    FRANCO DE PORT
    CHRIS'S DREAM
    CILAOS EMERY
    LORD LARIAT
    ASHTOWN LAD
    RAPPER
    GLAMORGAN DUKE
    PENCILFULLOFLEAD
    HAPPYGOLUCKY
    GA LAW
    REMASTERED
    FARCLAS
    THREEUNDERTHRUFIVE
    DEATH DUTY

So 57 remain and now guaranteed a run are all those on GNOR142, carrying 10-01 if Any Second Now is declared on 13 April.
    Our Power is now #41
    Dunboyne #42
    Back On The Lash #45

16 remaining above Back On The Lash have entries for either Irish GN or Topham.
  • Options
    Come on Back on the Lash... since you tipped him i have had the odd bet on him NRNB of course, so first step lets hope he gets in. 

This week any change i win from bets will be going to Dunboyne
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Come on Back on the Lash... since you tipped him i have had the odd bet on him NRNB of course, so first step lets hope he gets in. 

This week any change i win from bets will be going to Dunboyne
    Appreciate the vote of confidence @johnnybev1987
    They're a good hedge for one another, ground-wise. There is a real chance IMO of a long-shot stunner this year but we need to dodge those slings and arrows.
    I certainly wouldn't want to omit Delta Work from a betting slip - as near to a banker to make the frame if he avoids misfortune as one's likely to see in a GN IMO.
    Fingers crossed.