Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grand National 2023

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Big_Bob said:
    Super thread as always Peanuts.
    Shame that Battleoverdoyen isn’t running today, thought he was ridden like he was running in the National yesterday- outpaced by the end but had some petrol still in the tank clearly by the last.
    I’ve added Noble Yeats to my slip as well, he has gone to a backable price for me now, and his performance last year and his warm up run in the GC find him too hard to resist.
    Cheers @Big_Bob
    Couldn't agree more re Battleoverdoyen - a shame cos it seemed like he was bought from Gigginstown with the GN a target.
    Sure to put in a big run is last year's winner, barring misfortune. Nice move with the price drift.
    Best of luck.
  • Options
    Racing Post "predictor" calls it:
    1. Delta Work
    2. Corach Rambler
    3. Le Milos
    4. Our Power
    5. Cloudy Glen
    6. The Big Breakaway
    5 of the first 6 British-trained - ballsy!

• Options
    Anyone know result of  the virtual national last night ?
  • Options
    No Virtual Grand National this year. Strange as I thought it was a good raiser for charity?
  • Options
    No Virtual Grand National this year. Strange as I thought it was a good raiser for charity?
    Had done pretty well, as well. Maybe they couldn't reconcile Noble Yeats and binned the algorithm   :/
    Should have given me a call   ;)

Looks like Delta W will go off fav now.
    Money for and shortening price across the board Roi Mage (22~25) and Velvet Elvis (28~33 though Bob wants to get him too and is top-priced 40s - e/w value there IMO) and Cape Gentleman having his turn as a 100/1 shot to attract bargain hunters - got a GN-starred pedigree and could outrun his price but too many stat-fails for me)
  • Options
    Escaria Ten N/R - field down to 39.
  • Options
    FYI for anyone debating it, the national weekend in Liverpool is unbelievable.  The buzz around the whole place from Friday through to Saturday night is infectious.  Did it 5 years ago and arranging it again for next year. You’d be lead to believe it’s one big punch up looking at the papers but it’s really not, highly recommend.  
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Back On The Lash now 18s with Ladbrokes  :confused:
    I'm a believer but .....
  • Options
    Not a lover of horse racing but always bet in the national for a bit of fun.

Great posts all round and some interesting views on how bets are derived on the persons choice.

Great knowledge peanuts and some great tips.
  • Options
    I'm a believer but .....
    Everyone’s aunt and uncle backing ‘Arry’s ‘orse?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Report Date  15/04/2023 06:54:00
    Forecast: A pleasant day on Sat with plenty of sunny spells
    Official Going  Chase, Hurdle & National: Good to Soft, Soft (in places)
    Going Stick  Chase: 5.7 Hurdle: 5.8 National: 5.1 on 14-04-2023 at 11:00 Updated readings to follow
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    I've posted the model's top-ratings (below) but this is how my betting slip is shaped - weighted stakes to make me broadly indifferent to whichever wins (should I be so fortunate) except that I can never resist an outsized lash at real wild price, so * would mean a regal wave from the Captain's Stateroom for the Marvels of Alaska.

Each-way:
    • Mr Incredible (14/1)
    • Delta Work (21/1 with a boost)
    • The Big Breakaway (33/1)
    • Velvet Elvis (43/1 with a boost)
    • Dunboyne (53/1 with a boost)
    • Back On The Lash (100/1)
    • A Wave Of The Sea (279 Win on Betfair & 26.00 Top 5 finish) *
    Top 5 Finish:
    • Gaillard Du Mesnil (4.33)
    Top 10 Finish:
    • Recite A Prayer (8.00)

The Model:

There are 5 runners that both match an Archetype and have the minimum requisite Pedigree profile to Win or place <10L. Ranking them by strongest GN-starred Pedigree Profile, they are:

1. Dunboyne [NAP on Soft, likely to be outpaced if quickish GS– Archetype 1
    2. Delta Work [NAP on Good to Soft] – Archetype 3
    3. Mr Incredible – Archetype 1
    4. The Big Breakaway – Archetype 3
    5. Back On The Lash [must have decent ground] – Archetype 3

And 2 that have an overall Profile consistent with placing 10~20L behind the winner:

• Gaillard Du Mesnil – Archetype 1
    • Velvet Elvis – Archetype 1 

And 1 that has the potential to smack gobs at 150/1 (6 places):

• A Wave Of The Sea – narrow miss as Archetype 2 (3rd season chaser but only a 7yo) but GN-starred damside pedigree

And the best of the rest:

- For the Irish – Any Second Now (narrow miss Archetype 3, strong Pedigree profile)

- For the Brits – Our Power (narrow miss Archetype 2, narrow miss Pedigree profile)

• Options
    I'm a believer but .....
    I've had 125/1. Need to look at laying some off. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Going Stick  Chase: 5.7 Hurdle: 5.8 National: 5.1 on 14-04-2023 at 11:00 Updated readings to follow
    Cheers @Addick Addict

5.1 would be low if it's still that when they take it (for those unaware, the lower the reading, the softer the ground) but a dry day forecast and it dries quickly.
    Slowest modern GN on officially Good to Soft was 2021 and goingstick reading that day (unknown time it was taken) was 5.2 (weather dry and breezy, as today)
  • Options
    I'm a believer but .....
    I've had 125/1. Need to look at laying some off. 
    Still 60 on Betfair. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Having gone through pain last year of backing Freewheelin Dylan ew for months and then to see him come in 7th, I’ve taken the shorter odds for 8 places this year on a couple of selections (A Wave of the sea 70/1, Big Breakaway 30/1). Also done Delta Work win only and a silly tricast with 3 Peanuts suggestions.

Good luck everyone today, hope it’s a great days racing and thanks as always to the main man for his simply brilliant thread. 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    This is all a bit spooky but I do seem to have had more than average luck down the years when backing a GN runner with a geezer's name in it:

Montys Pass - won 2003
    King Johns Castle - 2nd 2010
    Oscar Time - 2nd 2011
    Swing Bill - 6th 2013
    Chance Du Roy - 6th 2014
    Vic's Canvas - 3rd 2016

Simon was going fantastically when tipping up 5 out in 2007
    A Toi Phil went well but ran out of gas though Joe Farrell bombed in 2019
    Freewheelin Dylan ran a blinder in 7th last year.
    Sadly missed One For Arthur altogether
    But a 60% frame-making rate (obvious baloney though it is as a stat) is pretty bizarre.

Could it be ........ Velvet Elvis ?

• Options
    Sister had 4 winners on both Thursday and Friday here are her tips for today.

1.45  Jonbon
    2.25 Mill Green
    3.00 Authorised speed
    3.35   Maries rock
    4.15 Coconut splash
    5.15  Gaillard du mesnil
    6.20  Pour les filles. 
  • Options
    I'm a believer but .....
    It's got no chance unless the going is good according to Arry yesterday.  Wonder what the weather is like in Liverpool?
  • Options
    My National Selections;

Delta Work - 9/1 win
    Backonthelash - 22/1 e/w
    Dunboyne - 50/1 e/w
    Big Breakaway - 40/1 e/w
    Velvet Elvis - 33/1 e/w
    Fortescue - 66/1 e/w

Good luck everyone and cheers for all the hard work Peanuts.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Updated:

Going Stick  Chase: 5.8 Hurdle: 6.0 National: 5.2 on 15-04-2023 at 11:00
  • Options
    Delta work .win rest e/w a wave of the sea .recite a prayer.gaillard du. The big breakaway. Dunboyne. Thanks peanut 
  • Options
    Updated:

Going Stick  Chase: 5.8 Hurdle: 6.0 National: 5.2 on 15-04-2023 at 11:00
    Cheers @Addict Addick

Very interesting that it's still down in the low 5s.

For comparison (though we don't know what time of day these readings were taken):

2013: 6.0 GS(Gd) (winning time: 8s slow of standard)
    2014: 6.6 GS(Gd) (slow 5.9s)
    2015: 6.6 GS(Gd) (fast 7.2s)
    2017: 6.6 GS(Gd) (fast 0.5s)
    2019: n/a
    2021: 5.2 GS (slow 11.4s)
    2022: 5.6 GS (fast 0.9s)

Yes it's drying weather today but how much better can the ground get between 11am and 5.15pm?

It seems nailed on to be straight Good to Soft but, with the rain during racing yesterday and the ground being opened up, I still think it will ride on the slower side of GS. I'm thinking a winning time in the vicinity of 5~10 seconds slow of std.

Not ideal for either Dunboyne or Back On The Lash (though maybe not so adverse as to rule either out from being in the mix) but perfect for the others I've backed and no excuses for most lining up.

Delta Work NAP 

• Options
    Also got a treble on:

Good time Johnny
    Hermes Allen
    Midnight River
  • Options
    Cheers @PeanutsMolloy for all the great info.  I've gone win only on Gaillard Du Mesnil and Delta Work and each way on A Wave Of The Sea and Dunboyne.
  • Options
    Records in the GN of some of the Jockeys on fancied runners tomorrow:

Paul Townend (Gaillard Du Mesnil) - 11 rides: 0UFP0PPPPUU
    Aidan Coleman (The Big Dog) - 14 rides: 0FFFPUUF00PP2P
    Sean Bowen (Noble Yeats) - 7 rides: 000PPP0
    Sam Twiston-Davies (Our Power) - 12 rides: 5P7PU0PFBPR0

4 top jocks, 44 rides: wins 0, places 2

Tough life being a NH jockey

Flip side of the coin, also riding tomorrow, Derek Fox and Ryan Mania both won it on their GN debuts.

Means nowt of course but 9 jockeys make their GN debut tomorrow:

Michael O’Sullivan - Carefully Selected
    Kieren Buckley - Diol Ker
    Shane Fitzgerald - A Wave Of The Sea
    Theo Gillard - Minella Trump
    Simon Torrens - Enjoy D’Allen
    Peter Carberry - Gabby’s Cross
    Jack Foley - Recite A Prayer
    Alan Johns - Eva’s Oskar
    Ben Jones - Francky Du Berlais

Could it be?
    I've had a small punt on Carefully Selected on the strength of the young jockey, AND the horse is a reported mudlark
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Interesting how value seems to be the name of the game this morning, unless it just the bookies collectively putting on a squeeze.
    Everything (bar Gaillard) from favs out to 22/1 slightly on the drift and it's those 25+ that are apparently seeing money.

Roi Mage now best 25
    Coko Beach 28
    Velvet Elvis 33  
    Back On The Lash 33
    Mister Coffey 33
    Fury Road 33

For me it's a surprise that The Big Breakaway is friendless and drifted out to 40s, especially with The Big Dog well-tipped up at 16s.

• The Big Breakaway stayed-on strongly to the line with 11-13 on Soft, passing The Big Dog who was flagging at the finish of the Welsh GN, less than 4 months ago and just 3.5f short of today's trip. The Big Dog is +11lbs in mark today, putting The Big Breakaway 13lbs well-in with him based on that run.
    • Creditable form in Grade 1 chases, including on quicker ground.
    • Close relative of GN 3rd Rathvinden
    • Decent yard and jockey, responsible for last year's GN 5th.
    • I get that he has going and not-going days and that PU in the Ultima didn't look great (needed some encouragement at the start). But wears first-time blinkers today which could galvanise him (importantly he's used to wearing cheek pieces) and, if so, he's the right age (8yo), has the ability, stamina and weight on his back (10-10, the same carried by Noble Yeats a year ago) to win - certainly to go close. I know I'm biased but 40/1 (7 places at SkyBet) looks nuts to me.

• Options
    Peanuts, not sure how influential these days Templegate is with the punters but he has Big Breakaway 2* out of 5*. “No big deal, 2 in Welsh before poor run at Cheltenham. Stays and jumps well but should be a bigger price in the betting”
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Interesting how value seems to be the name of the game this morning, unless it just the bookies collectively putting on a squeeze.
    Everything (bar Gaillard) from favs out to 22/1 slightly on the drift and it's those 25+ that are apparently seeing money.

Roi Mage now best 25
    Coko Beach 28
    Velvet Elvis 33  
    Back On The Lash 33
    Mister Coffey 33
    Fury Road 33

For me it's a surprise that The Big Breakaway is friendless and drifted out to 40s, especially with The Big Dog well-tipped up at 16s.

• The Big Breakaway stayed-on strongly to the line with 11-13 on Soft, passing The Big Dog who was flagging at the finish of the Welsh GN, less than 4 months ago and just 3.5f short of today's trip. The Big Dog is +11lbs in mark today, putting The Big Breakaway 13lbs well-in with him based on that run.
    • Creditable form in Grade 1 chases, including on quicker ground.
    • Close relative of GN 3rd Rathvinden
    • Decent yard and jockey, responsible for last year's GN 5th.
    • I get that he has going and not-going days and that PU in the Ultima didn't look great (needed some encouragement at the start). But wears first-time blinkers today which could galvanise him (importantly he's used to wearing cheek pieces) and, if so, he's the right age (8yo), has the ability, stamina and weight on his back (10-10, the same carried by Noble Yeats a year ago) to win - certainly to go close. I know I'm biased but 40/1 (7 places at SkyBet) looks nuts to me.

once more, little bit of my hard earned on Coko at 33s .. I suspect he's shortened on the strength of having Cobden on board