Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• No Jaiyesimi or Kirk in the 18 today.

Surely we can offload these two, even if only on loan until the end of the season, before the transfer window shuts.
    Aslong as we replace them
    no point shipping them out if we dont bring in replacements and cover

still need to make sure we stay up and if there are a few injuries/suspensions they will be right back in 
    we dont want to have to rely on youngsters !
    One of them is replaced already by Campbell coming through the ranks. 
  • sam3110 said:
    No Jaiyesimi or Kirk in the 18 today.

Surely we can offload these two, even if only on loan until the end of the season, before the transfer window shuts.
    Aslong as we replace them
    no point shipping them out if we dont bring in replacements and cover

still need to make sure we stay up and if there are a few injuries/suspensions they will be right back in 
    we dont want to have to rely on youngsters !
    One of them is replaced already by Campbell coming through the ranks. 
    Well let’s hope if they are shipped out then the wages are spent elsewhere, as the squad desperately needs it. I just hope this isn’t a big cost cutting exercise. 
  • edited January 2023
    No Jaiyesimi or Kirk in the 18 today.

Plus no Stockley, Lavelle, Aneke, Thomas.

A lot of big earners not in the squad today.

Gallen has a lot to do over the next few days to make up for the crap recruitment over the last 2 seasons.
  • Exactly - "We need to trim the squad"

• I predict another underwhelming end to a transfer window ahead. 
  • supaclive said:
    Exactly - "We need to trim the squad"

That's got me buzzing for Tuesday  :/
  • Same old window under Thomas. Last minute deals and a likely statement from Holden at midnight to say one fell through 
  • Sponsored links:

• MarcusH26 said:
    Yea, yea, yea,

Suspect it's the same injury as Scott Parker had before we played Gillingham in the cup all those years ago shortly before he joined Chelsea.

And now our "star" player is joining Gillingham, not Chelsea.

How the mighty have fallen! 
  • I feel the whelmoniter coming on and it's not just the curry from last night!
  • Same old window under Thomas. Last minute deals and a likely statement from Holden at midnight to say one fell through 
    And that statement would have been written at 2pm by the comms team
  • I doubt anyone is getting their hopes up. But if you are just remember Lavelle and Jayesimi were last minute panic buys on deadline day and we've been stuck with them ever since 
  • It’s sickening how we’ve been allowed to rot.
    Bolton were in the Premier League at the same time as us but the gap now between squads is there for all to see.
    They have a clear way of playing and a set of players who all buzz around and fit into that.
    We aren’t going to make the play offs but where’s the planning for buying players that fit into a philosophy? What is Andy Scott doing?
    Matt Penney, Bonne and Kane on deals to the end of the season is not planning.
    But then again, Holden isn’t signed up beyond that anyway.
    Shambolic and more of the same next season unless a proper takeover kicks in. And yeah, I mean Peter Varney. 
    I think we’ll potentially see Kirk, DJ, Thomas and Stockley leave. We’ll have one loan arrival and get a message saying we were trying for more but we should be glad that we’ve kept Leaburn and Dobbo. The Man U money will never be mentioned again and the figures that have been working with/for TS will disappear and TS will be pleased as there will have been big savings ahead of his hopeful summer sale. 
  • Can we get rid of innis please his a liability

• MarcusH26 said:
    “It’s nothing too serious at all. We can’t risk that.”

I really wanted that to be followed with “and to be honest, he is shit”
    "We don't want his transfer to fall through"
  • Watching Gillette Soccer Saturday, just said that Jack Marriot not playing today as maybe being transferred. One we could be interested in?
    Don’t think striker is one we will
    be bringing in .. sounds like mid number 10 is one not sure on the other one and if we lose DJ and Kirk then a winger will be needed 

Gallen has a lot to do over the next few days to make up for the crap recruitment over the last 2 seasons.
    Aneke undergoing training program to get him fit 
  • Sponsored links:

Aneke undergoing training program to get him fit 
    Thanks but think we can all read what Holden tells the press.
  • It'll be very hard to trim the squad in circumstances where the players that we want to unload - e.g. Kirk, DJ, Stockley - are (1) not very good and (2) on salaries which are beyond the wage structures of any clubs who might be interested in them. The best we can hope for is to shift a couple out on loan, in return for a contribution to their wages. Our recruitment in recent seasons has, with a couple of honourable exceptions, been lamentable. 

I can't see us paying a fee for anyone - especially in the current ownership limbo - and if there are one or two incomings, I'd expect them to be more short term loans. 

For me, the realistic priority must be to hang on to Leaburn and Dobson.
  • PWR

After saying early on, that business would be done sooner rather than later. We now have the familiar 'down to the wire' sound bite, no doubt followed by 'failed to get over the line at the death' 

Same old same old!
  • mart77 said:
    Same old window under Thomas. Last minute deals and a likely statement from Holden at midnight to say one fell through 
    I think we’ll potentially see Kirk, DJ, Thomas and Stockley leave. We’ll have one loan arrival and get a message saying we were trying for more but we should be glad that we’ve kept Leaburn and Dobbo. The Man U money will never be mentioned again and the figures that have been working with/for TS will disappear and TS will be pleased as there will have been big savings ahead of his hopeful summer sale. 
    What Manchester United money?   It just means we might break even for January.  Its the same as the season ticket money, Burstow money, Pope money or the next tranch of ELF money.

Then in the next breath the same people moan there is too much money in football.

If people think that every penny of income should be spent on new signings amd the owner should cover all the costs personally why not say that?   But any other club doing that "buy the league" and FFP is a joke. 
  • mart77 said:
    “We’re ready for it. We need to trim the squad hopefully. Ideally we’d love to add as well.”

Didn’t like this comment from Holden. More and more seems like this ‘takeover’ is a smokescreen for TS cost cutting exercise.
    The thing is, at this stage any League One team would be looking at trimming the squad in certain areas. We play one up front mostly and we have four strikers. One is often injured but that's still one too many. We've also got 5 wingers and it feels like two of those aren't fancied at all by the manager. Of all those players two of them are some of the highest earners in the squad. We've also got 5 first team CBs now. We really need a central midfielder to help us control games better but we should also be looking to get rid of Stockley and one of Kirk or DJ as well as Lavelle or they're just going to sit there eating into the budget doing nothing.

• Be nice to offload those who aren't even warming the bench. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    mart77 said:
    Same old window under Thomas. Last minute deals and a likely statement from Holden at midnight to say one fell through 
    What Manchester United money?   It just means we might break even for January.  Its the same as the season ticket money, Burstow money, Pope money or the next tranch of ELF money.

Then in the next breath the same people moan there is too much money in football.

If people think that every penny of income should be spent on new signings amd the owner should cover all the costs personally why not say that?   But any other club doing that "buy the league" and FFP is a joke. 
    I think most people would settle for an owner who doesn’t want to f@&k about with our football club and runs us in a way that sees us compete in our league. To do this any owner will most likely see losses where we are. I have zero sympathy for TS as so many of his losses are his own doing. He’s now realising his vanity project has failed and he’s desperately trying to get as many pennies back out as he can, regardless of the toll it takes on the club. I’ve heard sod all people talking about ‘buying the league’ and much more about sensible club management using people who know football and using the many resources that lie within our fan base, something TS has regularly failed to do. 

• mart77 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    mart77 said:

I think most people would settle for an owner who doesn’t want to f@&k about with our football club and runs us in a way that sees us compete in our league. To do this any owner will most likely see losses where we are. I have zero sympathy for TS as so many of his losses are his own doing. He’s now realising his vanity project has failed and he’s desperately trying to get as many pennies back out as he can, regardless of the toll it takes on the club. I’ve heard sod all people talking about ‘buying the league’ and much more about sensible club management using people who know football and using the many resources that lie within our fan base, something TS has regularly failed to do. 

But you specifically said the "Manchester United money" which is the point I resposned to.

I would wager we have spent more in the last 2 years on wages and transfer fees than Bolton have.

I have heard plenty of people use "buying the league" about other clubs.  

We have spent plenty over the last 10 years but as you say it doesn't matter as most of it has been spent by Hot Shot Hammish and Little Tommy D.  That's the issue, not just spending more.
  • mart77 said:
    “We’re ready for it. We need to trim the squad hopefully. Ideally we’d love to add as well.”

Didn’t like this comment from Holden. More and more seems like this ‘takeover’ is a smokescreen for TS cost cutting exercise.
    The thing is, at this stage any League One team would be looking at trimming the squad in certain areas. We play one up front mostly and we have four strikers. One is often injured but that's still one too many. We've also got 5 wingers and it feels like two of those aren't fancied at all by the manager. Of all those players two of them are some of the highest earners in the squad. We've also got 5 first team CBs now. We really need a central midfielder to help us control games better but we should also be looking to get rid of Stockley and one of Kirk or DJ as well as Lavelle or they're just going to sit there eating into the budget doing nothing.

I have little issue with ‘trimming’ this squad of certain players but we are way short of where we should be squad wise. I still think we’re a couple of injuries/sales from a relegation dogfight. We have so many of this current squad that will likely not be here next season and should we start dropping down the table I would question the passion of many of these players for such a fight. Imagine something happens to Dobson soon, then we are in deep doodoo.