Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• mart77 said:
    Glad to see nobody is worried Dobbo will be sold. A new deal announced would be better than any new signings atm. 
    he got a 12 month extension so there no concerns .. 
    There is an option for a year extension which has not been actioned at this time by the football club 
  • Imagine playing Payne and Kilkenny in the same midfield.  
  • Stewart said:
    I know nothing about Jon Russell, but going by this picture, I want him in the side. He has a  I’m not going to get bullied off the ball look about him. 

Yeah. The bleached hair, right?
    Nah, that's natural, just looks young for his age...🙄
    Or he just went grey instantly when the news broke that we were interested in getting him in.

• B*****d. I was looking at that in an attempt to buy cheap lols 
  • mart77 said:
    Glad to see nobody is worried Dobbo will be sold. A new deal announced would be better than any new signings atm. 
    George Dobson - Midfielder- Signed on a 2 year deal - Page 22 — Charlton Life

My thoughts exactly.  ;)
  • shirty5 said:
    mart77 said:
    There is an option for a year extension which has not been actioned at this time by the football club 
    I assume that’s because there’s a window at the end of the season when it can be activated, which is probably standard for those clauses.
  • Payne, Morgan, Kilkenny, Henry....all quite similar in physical stature.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    shirty5 said:
    mart77 said:
    I assume that’s because there’s a window at the end of the season when it can be activated, which is probably standard for those clauses.
    Typical can kicking that we have seen over and over again, for the last decade.  That's the problem with slowly building a squad (if that's what we were ever trying to do) you spit the good ones out faster than you bring better ones in. 
  • Kilkenny having a medical this morning. - sounds like definitely a championship level player. 
    Hope so but couldn’t get a kick at Stoke. Fingers crossed
  • Would rather Kilkenny over Morgan every day of the week in midfield 
  • Kilkenny fits the ilk of player I expected we'd be looking at , just hope he's not another Matt Smith (either of them) 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    shirty5 said:
    mart77 said:
    Typical can kicking that we have seen over and over again, for the last decade.  That's the problem with slowly building a squad (if that's what we were ever trying to do) you spit the good ones out faster than you bring better ones in. 
    It’s where we are due to the ownership situation, TS doesn’t want to hand out new contracts that will increase the wage bill. Same reason we won’t be paying fees in this window.

I don’t think slowly building the squad was ever the plan. The money we’ve spent under TS could have built a good top 6 side, the issue is it was spent badly.
  • Guess this'll be a Holden recommendation after working with him @ Stoke this season?
  • Sponsored links:

• MarcusH26 said:
    Kilkenny fits the ilk of player I expected we'd be looking at , just hope he's not another Matt Smith (either of them) 
    Arsenal Matt Smith was decent, I will die on this hill! Okay, not die. Argue half-heartedly for a couple of posts maybe tho
  • Heard of Kilkenny in the Republic of Ireland, but never heard of this bloke.
  • To be honest, we don't need a physically imposing midfielder in so much as we need control. Our midfield has some good players in it but it's so reactive. Dobson putting in a great tackle because an attacker has gone clear, Fraser breaking the lines with some good footwork, maybe a quick searching ball from Morgan. All good stuff but sudden. We very rarely see stuff happen as the result of a platform we've built from controlling the game in the middle. We've got Dobson to go around kicking people and Fraser to come up with some moments of brilliance but we need a midfielder alongside them who can keep the game ticking over while being able to hold his space and win the ball where needed, or at least cover the gaps created by a fullback going or an attack breaking down. I know absolutely nothing about Kilkenny so I don't know if he's that player, but while Albie has some good attributes he just doesn't know how to play to the full extent of his role. He's often caught in odd positions and has trouble resetting on a turnover. It's no surprise that Albie's best games where when Bowyer put him as a wide midfielder in a 4 and told him to stay narrow, put in challenges and play the ball early when he gets it.
    Yes, good post. You forget Albie's other best games, though - when he played as a sort of hybrid second pivot/right-back/quarterback type, not having to get too involved in the scrap. The ultimate luxury position mind you
    Morgan's performance on Saturday was baffling. 50% brilliant. 50% terrible
  • If we sign Kilkenny then we must have reached the point where we have the lowest average height across the squad ever?
  • Leuth said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Kilkenny fits the ilk of player I expected we'd be looking at , just hope he's not another Matt Smith (either of them) 
    Arsenal Matt Smith was decent, I will die on this hill! Okay, not die. Argue half-heartedly for a couple of posts maybe tho

Arsenal Matt Smith wasn't outright bad , just a fairly middling loan signing. Hopefully Kilkenny is the missing link for this midfield 3 Holden wants to go with. 
  • edited January 2023
    Would rather Kilkenny over Morgan every day of the week in midfield 
    I think he's another one that, if he left, would struggle to find another club in this league. And yet he starts regularly for us. 
    100% Morgan basically. But the team as a whole would be better off with a midfielder who is consistently decent instead of one who is either great or awful with no real middle ground between.
  • I hope it is a loan with an option to buy.