Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2023
    If we had money I’d be seeing if we could get Bauer back. Currently not playing at PNE 
    Would take him back in a heartbeat, he still absolutely loves Charlton too. Sadly he is on nearly double anyone in our squad.

This is football Politics:
    Patrick Bauer is on a wage outside CAFC remit; his family are settled in a decent part of Lancs, and we are in League 1. BFG is injury prone as well and I wonder if it's best to remember him from the better days on the field at least.

Jayden Stockley is on a wage higher than he is worth on this seasons form. (Last season a different matter) so it's catch 22 trying to move him on.

Yes I known Paul Mullins dropped two divisions after Cambridge were promoted to League 1 but that wasn't just for his love of Hollywood and Wrexham but his wages were commensurate with going to a big club in League 1 like Sheffield Wednesday.

After seeing Mullins performance against Sheffield United and the fact he has scored 60 goals in 78 matches in the National League he is worth every dollar spent.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Bailey said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Bailey said:
    Chunes said:
    It's mad that we've got so many players in some positions that we're having to trim the squad and yet we only had one senior left-back at the start of the season. 
    It's a madness that if, all rumours are true, we are having a complete overall in the January window, Chunes. Look at our wide players, apart from Campbell, losing anyone of them is a bonus, Blackett Taylor, DJ and Kirk would not get in a top six side. 
    Would Corey Blackett get in a top six squad though?  

The same for the rest of the squad.   You might argue that 4 or 5 of them are good enough for a top 6 team (2 are only on loan though) and 5 or 6 aren't good enough, for different reasons, for our squad.  The other 10, or so, are perfectly serviceable league 1 players.  The problem is for one reason or another they start for us more often than not.

I still think that you replace the worst 5 with a best 5 and we wouldn't be that far off.  The problem is, of course, that our best 5 include 2 loans and the only sellable assets, which means in reality you need to sign a best 10.  Again. 
    I think, with the signings made, another centre half and a forward, we probably be close to a good starting eleven but the team has to play together and Bolton are a good example of patient team building. 
    Bolton as you say are a team that has been built over time. They aren't fantastic, but are working as a unit, something we aspire to do. They are effective without having flair. They just made passing look simple and found their men time and time again, something we seem to struggle to do (often enough - in danger positions).

Even Bolton who I'd swap squads with tomorrow, are a way off Plymouth, Wednesday and Ipswich.

Its so depressing starting the season on the back foot, struggling through until January, patch up with sticky tape in the window, rinse and repeat. When will this ever end?

For me, supporting Charlton has been like being the owner of a dog that barks with no real effort, chews your slippers, tiddles on you floor (sometimes worse) and knows no tricks, but every now and then, will impress you with their guile by making you feel safe by fronting up to a bunch of pricks in the park giving it large, sending them packing with their tails between their legs.

I don't want a new dog, I love the one I have, just wish it would be a bit more like the good ones on the telly. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    JRS staying according to Cawley.

Fortunately for Cafc, Mark Bright is the go between for Rak Sakyi and his form has been good for Cafc as he gets more games. 
    If he was a Chelsea player, they would've moved him on to Championship club for the second part of the season. 
  • Options
    Expect DJ to follow Kirk and Stockley out the door today as well then .... sounds like a good clear out by Holden and not carrying any passengers. 
    My cynical side says at it stands, it looks like primarily a cost reduction exercise to me. Get senior players off wage bill and cover with cheaper loans 
    I agree but is that a bad thing? They aren’t players I want here next season. I don’t expect TS to pay fees while there’s a potential takeover. January isn’t the time for a big rebuild either. We don’t even know if Holden will be here next season.
  • Options
    Would rather Kilkenny over Morgan every day of the week in midfield 
    Morgan's performance on Saturday was baffling. 50% brilliant. 50% terrible
    Pretty much sums him up.
    The thing that he has always lacked is consistency. 
  • Options
    Expect DJ to follow Kirk and Stockley out the door today as well then .... sounds like a good clear out by Holden and not carrying any passengers. 
    My cynical side says at it stands, it looks like primarily a cost reduction exercise to me. Get senior players off wage bill and cover with cheaper loans 
    It could be both honestly. Yes we're clearing out some big wages and trying to shift baggage BUT if those players aren't featuring anyway then it's better they go rather than players we do actually have use for.

It's not ideal but hardly unexpected or THAT worrisome in and of itself.
  • Options
    Not unlike they did/doing with non playing staff. 

• Options
    Our squad is far from massive. If we ship out four and bring in one then we’re very much relying on everyone staying fit. Look at how many on here think the season is over. What happens if the squad starts thinking like that, especially if we lose Dobbo or Leaburn. We have several players out of contract this summer. It’s far easier to go on a losing streak than a winning one and I guarantee the teams below us won’t see us as out of reach, especially with the disruption and injuries we frequently seem to suffer from. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stockley in advanced talks with Fleetwood allegedly 

Something smells fishy!
    Did Jayden Stockley buy that Dale Stephens Satnav ?
  • Options
    Offloading Stockley, Kirk and DJ will be a good start ahead of a wider rebuild in the summer. None are going to move us forward so get their wages back to spend elsewhere 
    They will still all be here in the summer.
  • Options
    Offloading Stockley, Kirk and DJ will be a good start ahead of a wider rebuild in the summer. None are going to move us forward so get their wages back to spend elsewhere 
    Not if we just loan them out (as with McGrandles) as they'll be back in the summer.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    All well and good getting Kirk off the books but there has to be a replacement for him lined up otherwise we're very light wide for a side that wants to play 433. 
    Not convinced we’ll get a winger in, Campbell is Kirk’s replacement.

That’s not a bad thing, he clearly has potential to do well at this level and looks a better fit for a Holden side. We need pace and energy on the wings, Kirk’s a low tempo player suited to a possession side.
    He's a 19 year old kid. I wouldn't want to play him every week if JRS or CBT got injured. We NEED more cover than that.
    Why not? JRS is 20, Leaburn is 19 and Ness is 20. 

As long as he’s genuinely good enough and not thrown in like Clayden was or others like Kennedy in the RD years it’s not an issue.

It’s sensible to move bigger earners on who aren’t good enough or suited rather than waste money on them being back up.

If we had more to play for I’d want more experience but this is a good opportunity to help Campbell develop ahead of next season. We can then assess whether he should go on loan or can be part of the first team squad.
    But is he good enough? He's got some talent of course, but Bolton dealt with him very easily. He's very raw.

Yes I want him to get games, but I don't want us to be (again) in a situation where we're overplaying kids because we have no choice, which does neither us or them any good.
  • Options
    DJ not going anywhere today.  Playing for the u21s.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DJ not going anywhere today.  Playing for the u21s.
    DJ seems the best option of the wide players if we want to play wing backs, he's the best defensively
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Remember when we all felt like we were short of a decent striker? 

Then we signed Bonne, (about to) let go of Stockley and are still in exactly the same position. 

Money saved though I bet. 
  • Options
    Good news about Stockley, his heart wasn’t in it and surely that means Leaburn is staying plus one other striker coming in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Going the rest of the season with Bonne,Leaburn , Aneke (when available) is dangerous even if we play 433

I'd like to think they've let Stockley go to sign a replacement that's more suited to Holden's style but I think that's unlikely. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Going the rest of the season with Bonne,Leaburn , Aneke (when available) is dangerous even if we play 433

I'd like to think they've let Stockley go to sign a replacement that's more suited to Holden's style but I think that's unlikely. 
    Ronnie Schwartz to make a comeback? 
  • Options

Then we signed Bonne, (about to) let go of Stockley and are still in exactly the same position. 

On the other hand how many people have been saying JS in the team was like playing with 10 men. So assuming Bonne isn't as terrible as Stockley has been this year then we are still in a better position than before the window. 
  • Options

And love or hate Bonne. He's much much better than this crocked version of Stockley
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    All the best to Jayden - Shows how quickly things can change in Football

Had an outstanding year for us last year, regardless if some of his goals came in Cup Competitions, whilst others were with his stronger right foot, instead of his weaker left etc... But there were equally times when he spoke damned well, spoke about wanting to end his career with us, and put the effort in - That back injury you'd think has something to do with how he plays now, so hope he can rediscover some of his old form on the North coast, just not against us please fella!!
  • Options
    Surprised Stockley is a permanent but it's probably for the best. When it comes to loaning out Kirk and maybe DJ though it's not just about getting them off the wage bill, it's also important that we get them playing and hopefully looking like decent footballers again so that we're more likely to find buyers for them in the summer. Right now with the wages Kirk is on and the amount we paid for him we need him to go out and have a brilliant spell at Burton just to get someone to take him off us long term
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

Ronnie Schwartz to make a comeback? 

Now in terms of weird deadline days , that would be Southall and his snacks level weird. 
  • Options
    Move Stockley, McG, McG, JFC, Kirk and DJ on in this window to save ££. Bring in some relatively cheap loanees and kids.  Hope the 11-15 decent payers we had anyway stay injury free and Holden gets a tune out of them to show decent form (play offs are gone) and in summer show the Texan investors how easy it is to run the club at a much lower cost base (slash academy too) and still be successful as long as you have the right people (Holden/Scott) in charge...?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    All well and good getting Kirk off the books but there has to be a replacement for him lined up otherwise we're very light wide for a side that wants to play 433. 
    Not convinced we’ll get a winger in, Campbell is Kirk’s replacement.

That’s not a bad thing, he clearly has potential to do well at this level and looks a better fit for a Holden side. We need pace and energy on the wings, Kirk’s a low tempo player suited to a possession side.
    He's a 19 year old kid. I wouldn't want to play him every week if JRS or CBT got injured. We NEED more cover than that.
    Why not? JRS is 20, Leaburn is 19 and Ness is 20. 

As long as he’s genuinely good enough and not thrown in like Clayden was or others like Kennedy in the RD years it’s not an issue.

It’s sensible to move bigger earners on who aren’t good enough or suited rather than waste money on them being back up.

If we had more to play for I’d want more experience but this is a good opportunity to help Campbell develop ahead of next season. We can then assess whether he should go on loan or can be part of the first team squad.
    But is he good enough? He's got some talent of course, but Bolton dealt with him very easily. He's very raw.

Yes I want him to get games, but I don't want us to be (again) in a situation where we're overplaying kids because we have no choice, which does neither us or them any good.
    Not all 19 year old are equal either.  Rooney was much better than Ronaldo at 19.