Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• Gribbo said:
    Assuming that link on players salaries, shared the other day, was correct, off loading Kirk with save £5k a week, not sure where Stockley was on it, but woulda thought he'd be on around the same
    It only saves 5k a week if Burton pay all of it...
  • Hopefully Kilkeeny can put his foot in unliked skippy Fraser and Morgan
  • Scoham said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    All well and good getting Kirk off the books but there has to be a replacement for him lined up otherwise we're very light wide for a side that wants to play 433. 
    Not convinced we’ll get a winger in, Campbell is Kirk’s replacement.

That’s not a bad thing, he clearly has potential to do well at this level and looks a better fit for a Holden side. We need pace and energy on the wings, Kirk’s a low tempo player suited to a possession side.
    He's a 19 year old kid. I wouldn't want to play him every week if JRS or CBT got injured. We NEED more cover than that.
    I'd agree with you if we weren't a league one club losing £8 million per year.

We're really not going to sign another winger in those circumstances, particularly when you see Campbell looks promising. 
  • Bit alarming with our injury record
  • With a name like his and an injury record like ours you just know how this is going to play out.

• If Stockley goes, on loan or permanent, we will need another striker, we only have two plus Aneke. I am not counting Kanu, as I do not think he is ready. If Kirk and/or DJ goes, we should be OK with Campbell. Payne could always play wide if need be or Clare

• Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    It's mad that we've got so many players in some positions that we're having to trim the squad and yet we only had one senior left-back at the start of the season. 
    It's a madness that if, all rumours are true, we are having a complete overall in the January window, Chunes. Look at our wide players, apart from Campbell, losing anyone of them is a bonus, Blackett Taylor, DJ and Kirk would not get in a top six side. 
  • Just seen an Inside Football article saying that there is interest in Lyle Taylor from un- named clubs. His contract is up in June. Looks like a bit of a desperation in the piece- either the Nott. F. placed it to create interest because they want to move him on(which there was a piece in Dec that suggested that), or his agent because he wants to go and nobody is enquiring.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:
    Payne, Morgan, Kilkenny, Henry....all quite similar in physical stature.
     Are they?

Payne 5ft 5" - Short & Stocky
    Kilkenny 5ft 7" Short and Slim
    Henry 5ft 9" Average and Average
    Morgan 5ft 11" Average and Slim

You've got half a foot's difference between the lot and when it comes to their footballing style they're all different too. 

All very different players.
    (I can't speak for Kilkenny's play style yet).

Crikes you must be bored searching each player's height :)My point was indeed related to how they each lack a physical presence in midfield. 
  • Scoham said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    All well and good getting Kirk off the books but there has to be a replacement for him lined up otherwise we're very light wide for a side that wants to play 433. 
    Not convinced we’ll get a winger in, Campbell is Kirk’s replacement.

That’s not a bad thing, he clearly has potential to do well at this level and looks a better fit for a Holden side. We need pace and energy on the wings, Kirk’s a low tempo player suited to a possession side.
    He's a 19 year old kid. I wouldn't want to play him every week if JRS or CBT got injured. We NEED more cover than that.
    Captain Clayden is still here.. 
  • Just seen an Inside Football article saying that there is interest in Lyle Taylor from un- named clubs. His contract is up in June. Looks like a bit of a desperation in the piece- either the Nott. F. placed it to create interest because they want to move him on(which there was a piece in Dec that suggested that), or his agent because he wants to go and nobody is enquiring.
    Would his ego let him drop down to League 1 mid table !
  • edited January 2023
    Bailey said:
    Chunes said:
    It's mad that we've got so many players in some positions that we're having to trim the squad and yet we only had one senior left-back at the start of the season. 
    It's a madness that if, all rumours are true, we are having a complete overall in the January window, Chunes. Look at our wide players, apart from Campbell, losing anyone of them is a bonus, Blackett Taylor, DJ and Kirk would not get in a top six side. 
    Would Corey Blackett get in a top six squad though?  

The same for the rest of the squad.   You might argue that 4 or 5 of them are good enough for a top 6 team (2 are only on loan though) and 5 or 6 aren't good enough, for different reasons, for our squad.  The other 10, or so, are perfectly serviceable league 1 players.  The problem is for one reason or another they start for us more often than not.

I still think that you replace the worst 5 with a best 5 and we wouldn't be that far off.  The problem is, of course, that our best 5 include 2 loans and the only sellable assets, which means in reality you need to sign at best 10.  Again. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2023
    Great Stockley to Fleetwood, now watch him score a hat trick on the 11th Feb!! 🤷‍♂️
    Won’t be allowed to play against us 
    He's signing as a perm...if he goes, no mention of a loan..🤷‍♂️
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Bailey said:
    Chunes said:
    Would Corey Blackett get in a top six squad though?  

The same for the rest of the squad.   You might argue that 4 or 5 of them are good enough for a top 6 team (2 are only on loan though) and 5 or 6 aren't good enough, for different reasons, for our squad.  The other 10, or so, are perfectly serviceable league 1 players.  The problem is for one reason or another they start for us more often than not.

I still think that you replace the worst 5 with a best 5 and we wouldn't be that far off.  The problem is, of course, that our best 5 include 2 loans and the only sellable assets, which means in reality you need to sign a best 10.  Again. 
    I think, with the signings made, another centre half and a forward, we probably be close to a good starting eleven but the team has to play together and Bolton are a good example of patient team building. 
  • shirty5 said:
    Gribbo said:
    Assuming that link on players salaries, shared the other day, was correct, off loading Kirk with save £5k a week, not sure where Stockley was on it, but woulda thought he'd be on around the same
    Very doubtful that a club would pay 100% wages on a loan player. 
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Gribbo said:
    It only saves 5k a week if Burton pay all of it...
    Yeah sorry, thought it was perm
  • edited January 2023
    Expect DJ to follow Kirk and Stockley out the door today as well then .... sounds like a good clear out by Holden and not carrying any passengers. 
    My cynical side says at it stands, it looks like primarily a cost reduction exercise to me. Get senior players off wage bill and cover with cheaper loans 
    Only 1 loan spot left although obviously we can sign more but can only have 5 in the matchday squad. I can see 3/4 leaving and 1 coming in. 
  • To be honest, we don't need a physically imposing midfielder in so much as we need control. Our midfield has some good players in it but it's so reactive. Dobson putting in a great tackle because an attacker has gone clear, Fraser breaking the lines with some good footwork, maybe a quick searching ball from Morgan. All good stuff but sudden. We very rarely see stuff happen as the result of a platform we've built from controlling the game in the middle. We've got Dobson to go around kicking people and Fraser to come up with some moments of brilliance but we need a midfielder alongside them who can keep the game ticking over while being able to hold his space and win the ball where needed, or at least cover the gaps created by a fullback going or an attack breaking down. I know absolutely nothing about Kilkenny so I don't know if he's that player, but while Albie has some good attributes he just doesn't know how to play to the full extent of his role. He's often caught in odd positions and has trouble resetting on a turnover. It's no surprise that Albie's best games where when Bowyer put him as a wide midfielder in a 4 and told him to stay narrow, put in challenges and play the ball early when he gets it.
    you've described Mark Kinsella
  • Wish we could end the season now. Don't see much point in us playing the rest