Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• Southbank said:
    mart77 said:
    Kilkenny having a medical this morning. - sounds like definitely a championship level player. 
    Hope so but couldn’t get a kick at Stoke. Fingers crossed
    None of our team would get a kick at Stoke.

Another Josh Cullen hopefully.
    Josh Cullen was exactly who I thought of.  Lost his way in a struggling championship side before we got hold of him.  I would hope this is with an eye on an extended loan, next season, as well.  I doubt they would loan him to another championship team if they are in it!
  • shirty5 said:
    mart77 said:
    Glad to see nobody is worried Dobbo will be sold. A new deal announced would be better than any new signings atm. 
    he got a 12 month extension so there no concerns .. 
    There is an option for a year extension which has not been actioned at this time by the football club 
    Don’t need to yet 
  • Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    shirty5 said:
    mart77 said:
    Glad to see nobody is worried Dobbo will be sold. A new deal announced would be better than any new signings atm. 
    he got a 12 month extension so there no concerns .. 
    There is an option for a year extension which has not been actioned at this time by the football club 
    I assume that’s because there’s a window at the end of the season when it can be activated, which is probably standard for those clauses.
    Typical can kicking that we have seen over and over again, for the last decade.  That's the problem with slowly building a squad (if that's what we were ever trying to do) you spit the good ones out faster than you bring better ones in. 
    It’s where we are due to the ownership situation, TS doesn’t want to hand out new contracts that will increase the wage bill. Same reason we won’t be paying fees in this window.

I don’t think slowly building the squad was ever the plan. The money we’ve spent under TS could have built a good top 6 side, the issue is it was spent badly.
    It might not have actually been the plan but it was the bollocks that was spouted.

Totally agree with the last bit. 
  • At least Holden would have worked with Kilkenny this season albeit it briefly when both were at Stoke. 
  • mart77 said:
    George Dobson - Midfielder- Signed on a 2 year deal - Page 22 — Charlton Life

My thoughts exactly.  ;)
    He could sign 10 year deal don’t mean he won’t leave .. contracts not worth the paper they’re printed on . Agents don’t care about contracts most don’t care about their players to be honest they just see the pound signs .. 
  • mart77 said:

My thoughts exactly.  ;)
    He could sign 10 year deal don’t mean he won’t leave .. contracts not worth the paper they’re printed on . Agents don’t care about contracts most don’t care about their players to be honest they just see the pound signs .. 
    But you just said its not an issue because of the option.  Make your mind up...
  • It won't be an option to buy 
  • edited January 2023
    mendonca said:
    Payne, Morgan, Kilkenny, Henry....all quite similar in physical stature.
     Are they?

Payne 5ft 5" - Short & Stocky
    Kilkenny 5ft 7" Short and Slim
    Henry 5ft 9" Average and Average
    Morgan 5ft 11" Average and Slim

You've got half a foot's difference between the lot and when it comes to their footballing style they're all different too. 

All very different players.
    (I can't speak for Kilkenny's play style yet).

• Cafc43v3r said:
    mart77 said:

My thoughts exactly.  ;)
    But you just said it’s not an issue because of the option.  Make your mind up...
    It’s not as far as the club concerned .. but they have no control over agents and their greed 
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:
     Are they?

You've got half a foot's difference between the lot and when it comes to their footballing style they're all different too. 

I think the point was none of them offer a physical presence in the middle.

However you could argue we need a good all round player in there like Cullen (wasn’t big either) rather than a Pratley type.
  • Scoham said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:
     Are they?

I think the point was none of them offer a physical presence in the middle.

However you could argue we need a good all round player in there like Cullen (wasn’t big either) rather than a Pratley type.
    I agree with that description. 
  • Stockley in advanced talks with Fleetwood allegedly 
    also theyve agreed a deal with Jack Marriott 
  • Kirk and Stockley off the books will help a lot. Especially if we can get them done today and get in a replacement or two by tomorrow night
  • Sponsored links:

• Would rather Kilkenny over Morgan every day of the week in midfield 
    Morgan's performance on Saturday was baffling. 50% brilliant. 50% terrible
    Change Saturday for his entire Charlton career and you have summed him up perfectly
  • Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:
     Are they?

And height doesn't ALWAYS equate to physical style anyway - Dobson is tall but not particularly "big" (by football standards) and still mixes it up effectively. Andy Hughes was not a monster physically but loved a scrap.

A lack of height could potentially be a hindrance at set pieces but that's where our own defence and forwards need to step up anyway.
  • sam3110 said:
    Kirk and Stockley off the books will help a lot. Especially if we can get them done today and get in a replacement or two by tomorrow night
    Only if they are permanent deals. Stockley has another 18 months left and Kirk 2 and half years to go.

These long contracts given out are coming back to hit Sandgaard in the pocket 
  • edited January 2023
    Great Stockley to Fleetwood, now watch him score a hat trick on the 11th Feb!! 🤷‍♂️
  • shirty5 said:
    sam3110 said:
    Kirk and Stockley off the books will help a lot. Especially if we can get them done today and get in a replacement or two by tomorrow night
    Only if they are permanent deals. Stockley has another 18 months left and Kirk 2 and half years to go.

These long contracts given out are coming back to hit Sandgaard in the pocket 
    And Kirk is a loan to Burton

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-winger-charlie-kirk-expected-to-make-loan-move-away-before-deadline/
  • Expect DJ to follow Kirk and Stockley out the door today as well then .... sounds like a good clear out by Holden and not carrying any passengers. 
  • Expect DJ to follow Kirk and Stockley out the door today as well then .... sounds like a good clear out by Holden and not carrying any passengers. 
    Great if they all went none good enough for what hopefully will be a better season and promotion push next year
    hopefully the loans with view to perms
  • Assuming that link on players salaries, shared the other day, was correct, off loading Kirk with save £5k a week, not sure where Stockley was on it, but woulda thought he'd be on around the same