Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• mart77 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    mart77 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    mart77 said:
    Same old window under Thomas. Last minute deals and a likely statement from Holden at midnight to say one fell through 
    And that statement would have been written at 2pm by the comms team
    I think we’ll potentially see Kirk, DJ, Thomas and Stockley leave. We’ll have one loan arrival and get a message saying we were trying for more but we should be glad that we’ve kept Leaburn and Dobbo. The Man U money will never be mentioned again and the figures that have been working with/for TS will disappear and TS will be pleased as there will have been big savings ahead of his hopeful summer sale. 
    What Manchester United money?   It just means we might break even for January.  Its the same as the season ticket money, Burstow money, Pope money or the next tranch of ELF money.

Then in the next breath the same people moan there is too much money in football.

If people think that every penny of income should be spent on new signings amd the owner should cover all the costs personally why not say that?   But any other club doing that "buy the league" and FFP is a joke. 
    I think most people would settle for an owner who doesn’t want to f@&k about with our football club and runs us in a way that sees us compete in our league. To do this any owner will most likely see losses where we are. I have zero sympathy for TS as so many of his losses are his own doing. He’s now realising his vanity project has failed and he’s desperately trying to get as many pennies back out as he can, regardless of the toll it takes on the club. I’ve heard sod all people talking about ‘buying the league’ and much more about sensible club management using people who know football and using the many resources that lie within our fan base, something TS has regularly failed to do. 

But you specifically said the "Manchester United money" which is the point I resposned to.

I would wager we have spent more in the last 2 years on wages and transfer fees than Bolton have.

I have heard plenty of people use "buying the league" about other clubs.  

We have spent plenty over the last 10 years but as you say it doesn't matter as most of it has been spent by Hot Shot Hammish and Little Tommy D.  That's the issue, not just spending more.
    The Man U money comment was about how all of the things happening this month are about covering and cutting costs, regardless of what’s needed at the club, such as a new contract for Dobson. 

Do you believe TS is entitled to run the club as he currently is? All signs point to that he wants out and will sell us to whomever gives him maximum income regardless of how negative it could be for the club. Like I say above I’m not looking for a Man City type owner, I just want one that accepts that there will be some losses but these can be managed through sensible football management and recruitment, as well as working with the fan base.

Only Ipswich have tried to ‘buy the league’ which they 100% have tried to do, and thus far failed. 

I’d finally add that I don’t think some fans know quite how perilous our current situation is. We are losing generations of fans by our continued presence in League One. We had a free ticket scheme today  and yet again we proved we can’t even give the tickets away. We need a change of direction and we need it very quickly, as I fear we are slowly dying as a club.
    Is he entitled to?  Legally yes, morally no of course not.  But I also know that to change it some one has got to caught up some serious cash just so they can blow some more serious cash.  

To play devil's advocate if we can't even give the tickets away why should any owner put more money in, that they won't get back amd are looking to sell, if the fans won't even buy tickets?  I fully understand why they don't before anyone jumps in.

I do think that the "just sell the club and fox trot Oscar, by the way can you chuck a few million in on the way out as well?" stance is either totally unrealistic or entitled.
  • Jon Russell on loan from Huddersfield - According to Nixon in todays sun 
  • edited January 2023
    shirty5 said:
    Jon Russell on loan from Huddersfield - According to Nixon in todays sun 

From an Accrington fan where he was in loan a couple of years ago. Involved in 26 games, but most off the bench 

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Played CM/CAM for us, tall, pretty strong, really good on the ball, not very skillful but good dribbling. Always plays the ball on the floor, doesn&#39;t like to long pass. Passing into the final third was good and pretty regular. Not particularly pacey.</p>&mdash; oliver 🇰🇷 (@gu77ed) <a href="">July 19, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
  • edited January 2023
    Luke Plange , young striker from Palace on loan also linked to us on Nixon's patreon. Currently on loan in Belgium but has been recalled. 
  • Scoham said:
    Sounds like competition for Morgan in that box to box role.
    an extra physical presence that will allow us to play O'Connell over Inniss at the back with Ness?
  • edited January 2023
    Luke Plange 

5’10” Age: 20
    2021–2022 Derby 8 appearances  (3 goals)
    2022– Crystal Palace 0 (0)
    2022 → Derby County (loan) 18 (1)
    2022→ RWD Molenbeek (loan) 13 (2)
    International career‡
    2022– England U20 2 (0) 

A youth product of Arsenal since the age of 6, Plange moved to Derby County on 21 March 2021.He made his professional debut with Derby County on 4 December 2021, coming on as a half-time substitute in a 1–0 EFL Championship defeat against Bristol City.
    On 31 January 2022, Plange signed for Crystal Palace and was loaned back to Derby for the remainder of the season. 
    In August 2022 he was loaned to Belgian club RWD Molenbeek, along with teammate Jake O'Brien, for the 2022–23 season.

Who knows. 
  • Scoham said:
    Sounds like competition for Morgan in that box to box role.
    Sounds like a good thing to me. A proper ball carrier to join up between Dobson and Fraser and give Morgan some competition is a good thing. Ideally McGrandles would've been that but if he's not fully fit them obviously that's not happening.
  • edited January 2023
    Jonathan Edward Russell. 
    Date of birth: 9 October 2000 (age 22)
    Place of birth: Hounslow, England
    Height: 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)
    Position: Midfielder
    Current team:  Huddersfield Town         
    Russell joined Chelsea at under-7 level. He turned professional in October 2017.
    He moved on loan to Accrington Stanley in October 2020.
    He moved to Huddersfield Town in July 2021.
    He scored his first goal for the club on 23 February 2022 when he scored a late winner in a 2–1 win against Cardiff City. 

Passes the Charlton height test. 
  • Sponsored links:

• supaclive said:
    Exactly - "We need to trim the squad"

That's got me buzzing for Tuesday  :/
    Well too much talk about Miles Leaburn at the moment coming from his parents.

Trust we are not being lined up for a fall.

Loved Carl and his son can and will do better given time.

What price do we value time.
  • mart77 said:
    mart77 said:
    “We’re ready for it. We need to trim the squad hopefully. Ideally we’d love to add as well.”

Didn’t like this comment from Holden. More and more seems like this ‘takeover’ is a smokescreen for TS cost cutting exercise.
    The thing is, at this stage any League One team would be looking at trimming the squad in certain areas. We play one up front mostly and we have four strikers. One is often injured but that's still one too many. We've also got 5 wingers and it feels like two of those aren't fancied at all by the manager. Of all those players two of them are some of the highest earners in the squad. We've also got 5 first team CBs now. We really need a central midfielder to help us control games better but we should also be looking to get rid of Stockley and one of Kirk or DJ as well as Lavelle or they're just going to sit there eating into the budget doing nothing.

I have little issue with ‘trimming’ this squad of certain players but we are way short of where we should be squad wise. I still think we’re a couple of injuries/sales from a relegation dogfight. We have so many of this current squad that will likely not be here next season and should we start dropping down the table I would question the passion of many of these players for such a fight. Imagine something happens to Dobson soon, then we are in deep doodoo. 
    I completely agree. There's no cover for Dobson at all and our midfield still lacks control at full strength. I don't think many teams would be able to keep adding without clearing out some high earning spares though. The problem is ours have been so bad it seems like no-one wants them
  • For all his frustrating nature, Kirk would benefit from playing with a left footed left back. Get Penney overlapping on the outside, giving Kirk space to cut inside.
    And who will cover those two..  Kirk hasn't a clue how to track back and defend. 

Kirks one of those luxury players that we just cannot afford to play because he does so little team work. He can't take players on either. His only attribute is he can cross the ball. 
  • The issue is we have too many players that we cant offload to anyone. If we manage to ship them out it will be on loan where I suspect we will be paying most of their wages. Absolutely no chance of getting anything like what we paid for Stockley, Kirk etc. I dont understand how Gallen gets the free ride that he does on here as he has signed some proper shit for decent money the last few years
  • AndyG said:
    The issue is we have too many players that we cant offload to anyone. If we manage to ship them out it will be on loan where I suspect we will be paying most of their wages. Absolutely no chance of getting anything like what we paid for Stockley, Kirk etc. I dont understand how Gallen gets the free ride that he does on here as he has signed some proper shit for decent money the last few years
    Gallen seals the deals, does not tee up who we are getting. A black box and Football Manager enthusiast is responsible for that bit as far as I understand it. I would be bored sh*tless with Steve’s current responsibilities and hope he gets a break elsewhere, a good guy and under-utilised by us since ‘those that think they know better’ arrived. 
  • 'Luke' also matches Swisdom's code about the force.
  • AndyG said:
    The issue is we have too many players that we cant offload to anyone. If we manage to ship them out it will be on loan where I suspect we will be paying most of their wages. Absolutely no chance of getting anything like what we paid for Stockley, Kirk etc. I dont understand how Gallen gets the free ride that he does on here as he has signed some proper shit for decent money the last few years
    Why is it when we are going for someone on loan we all hear "well loans aren't free - got to pay wages" etc etc but when we send someone out on loan all of a sudden it's "well we will be covering most of their wages" so when we get a loan we pay full whack but when we send someone out we get minimal benefit financially?

Not saying people are wrong but I just don't get it? Is this based on anything factual or just people being negative?
  • AndyG said:
    Why is it when we are going for someone on loan we all hear "well loans aren't free - got to pay wages" etc etc but when we send someone out on loan all of a sudden it's "well we will be covering most of their wages" so when we get a loan we pay full whack but when we send someone out we get minimal benefit financially?

Not saying people are wrong but I just don't get it? Is this based on anything factual or just people being negative?
    Because the players that we are trying to send out nobody wants, in these cases we arent sending out youngsters to get them experience and game time, these are players that we cant sell because we have basically devalued their value so much since we bought them e.g Kirk. They are on decent wages and the only clubs likely to want them cant afford the wages so the choice is leave them here doing nothing or send them out somewhere and keep paying their wages
  • edited January 2023
    AndyG said:
    Gallen seals the deals, does not tee up who we are getting. A black box and Football Manager enthusiast is responsible for that bit as far as I understand it. I would be bored sh*tless with Steve’s current responsibilities and hope he gets a break elsewhere, a good guy and under-utilised by us since ‘those that think they know better’ arrived. 
    I'm wary believing anything coming out of this club in terms of who does what... What would they tell us if we asked what Raelynn has been doing for the past few years!

That doesn't even add up with Gallen because I heard him in an interview say he went to watch Lavelle a few times prior to us signing him. 

We also know that the black box produces players that are then discussed by the committee, of which he is on. So he definitely has a role to play other than making phone calls.
  • I came out of the game yesterday thinking that Dobson and Fraser are good players and fine for a promotion chasing team but don't offer midfield height.  We are then bringing Payne and Henry on off the bench.  Bolton's players were simply far superior athletes.  We need a big box to box type who will stop teams bullying us.  Jon Russell certainly has the size to be that player.
  • Sponsored links:

• For me after yesterdays result this season in done. Whatever chance we had of playoffs I think is finished after the loss yesterday. Not being overly negative but just how I see it. Getting loans in for the rest of the seasons seems pointless, as it is money being used to achieve nothing. I worry leaburn will go and that’s why he didn’t start yesterday . I think a couple more might follow out the door just to try and minimise loses this season. We are still paying Adkins off and now also Garner. With nothing to play for the remaining games I think the magic break even will be targeted and yet again another re think in the summer by Thomas or whoever else is funding.
  • AndyG said:
    Agree. We’re the only club I know that have their lead scouts at every Charlton game instead of them actually doing some scouting at other grounds.

Our biggest issue in my opinion is not the money made available for transfers and salaries (that was good up till this season) but the absolute crap the recruitment team have squandered it on.

We’ve spent far more than the likes of Bolton, Plymouth & Barnsley in recent years but bought utter tosh with it.

Be interesting to see if Andy Scott stays around as our recruitment department definitely needs a shake up.
  • edited January 2023
    DJ - £500k
    Kirk - £500k
    Lavelle - £200k
    Aneke - £300k

Gallen’s done well to keep his job after squandering £1.5m (big money for our level) on that bunch.

Based on Penny’s debut yesterday I’m not optimistic that things are going to improve soon.
  • AndyG said:
    Agree. We’re the only club I know that have their lead scouts at every Charlton game instead of them actually doing some scouting at other grounds.

Our biggest issue in my opinion is not the money made available for transfers and salaries (that was good up till this season) but the absolute crap the recruitment team have squandered it on.

We’ve spent far more than the likes of Bolton, Plymouth & Barnsley in recent years but bought utter tosh with it.

Be interesting to see if Andy Scott stays around as our recruitment department definitely needs a shake up.
    Seems to be working with his hands tied right now.

Not really sure that any of the signings we've made, or the players we've let go really needed his involvement.
  • DJ - £500k
    Kirk - £500k
    Lavelle - £200k
    Aneke - £300k

Gallen’s done well to keep his job after squandering £1.5m (big money for our level) on that bunch.

Based on Penny’s debut yesterday I’m not optimistic that things are going to improve soon.
    Tbf when you look at that list TS must be thinking he has had his pants down. And before anyone says its MS and his stupid black box apparently we had been chasing kirk and DJ before TS came along. The re signing of Chucks on it's own was a disciplinary matter in itself 😂😂😂 who on here didnt say exactly what would happen ? It isnt rocket science is it. The reason Chucks never starts is that he would pull a hammy taking the knee before KO
  • If we had money I’d be seeing if we could get Bauer back. Currently not playing at PNE 
    Waits for comment about obsession over ex-players ;) 
  • I still somewhat have an inside track on PNE, rumours that they have financial issues and are looking to offload to balance the books somewhat. BFG would need to accept a big wage drop though.
  • AndyG said:
    SG deals with all transfers mainly with the agents and clubs and getting the deal completed  once we identify our targets .. the manager identifies his targets along with Andy Scott they then do the homework on the players which is where MS was involved