Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    I'd still expect 2 in and 2 out before the deadline , obviously that would give us 6 loans potentially but with Kane's injury that isn't too much of an issue immediately. 

Maybe a couple of the youngsters go out on loan too. 
    Expect or hope?
    More going off Holden's interviews really , sounds like we could be quite busy
    I hope so, Marcus. What concerns me is that Holden clearly wants players but will the club pay what is required to get them ?
  • Southbank said:
    shirty5 said:
    This basically means no-one else will pay his high wages so he’d prefer to stay here even if he never plays.
    I really would not blame him. He is coming to the latter stages of his career and was asked to play in a formation that does not suit his skills and experience. That was Garner's fault not his.
    I get that it is natural for him to think about number one.

The problem with deadwood like him & Kirk hanging around though is that they’re eating up a significant chunk of our salary budget which is preventing us from creating a squad good enough to get out of L1.

I hoped Andy Scott might be able to move out more of our prephirary players but it looks like we’ll be stuck with the same top earners doing nothing (and consequently stuck in this shite league).
  • MarcusH26 said:
    https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/23279768.bolton-wanderers-boss-warns-unexpected-exits-deadline-day/

Ian Evatts comments sound like Kieran Sadlier could be available.... 
    I think he want's a move back South. Orient are interested too.
  • Swisdom said:
    McGrandles out seems sensible.  If we get the player I was told about Saturday he’s slightly more advanced so wouldn’t be a like for like.  Depends if we want to “force” a deal through

We were also looking at another centre midfielder but I don’t know his name.
    Is it Danny Shittu?
  • MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    I'd still expect 2 in and 2 out before the deadline , obviously that would give us 6 loans potentially but with Kane's injury that isn't too much of an issue immediately. 

Maybe a couple of the youngsters go out on loan too. 
    Expect or hope?
    More going off Holden's interviews really , sounds like we could be quite busy
    I hope so, Marcus. What concerns me is that Holden clearly wants players but will the club pay what is required to get them ?
    Yes they proved that last window with a 400,000 bid for a striker unfortunately we missed out to Huddersfield he was BG number one target 
  • Surely Kirk and DJ will go?

I guess we're looking for replacements first though.
  • edited January 2023
    Swisdom's 'force' clue might refer to Mason Burstow. "Burst' is a type of force. Or maybe Mason being a builder is also a work force. If Burstow did come back on loan he would be behind Leaburn and Bonne and probably Stockley as well, although I imagine Stockley will be on the move.
    Swisdom's clue - got to be Max Power hasn't it.   :)

• Just a few days left as our mid table chasing squad takes shape 
    who’s going where ?
    any other hidden gems in the Ipswich reserve side for us to covet and jostle over 
    The excitement of this history making failure of a season for us knows no bounds .
    One man's trash is another man's treasure 😉
  • Sponsored links:

• You would think that an exit is likely to appeal to Kirk if we find him a club in the north west nearer to his family.

Part of the problem with Stockley is that he not only is on high wages but is also settled in our area (so bloody hard to shift).

No idea what the case is with DJ. He is the one out of these 3 that I would keep unless we have a top winger lined up to come in as a replacement.
  • I would think that they bought in Bonne with the expectation that they would off load Stockley in the window, well that went well didn't it...
  • Leaburn, Bonne, Stockley is fine for the rest of the season imo. Especially if we're only playing one striker
    It’s more a question of whether you want to shell out £6k a week (if Salary Sport website is correct) for your third choice striker. The money could be better spent elsewhere really. Not sure how long is left on his contract, but that £6k will be a major disincentive for any club interested in signing him. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Leaburn, Bonne, Stockley is fine for the rest of the season imo. Especially if we're only playing one striker
    It’s more a question of whether you want to shell out £6k a week (if Salary Sport website is correct) for your third choice striker. The money could be better spent elsewhere really. Not sure how long is left on his contract, but that £6k will be a major disincentive for any club interested in signing him. 
    Oh if we can offload him and get someone else in I still would. But just don't think anyone will be silly enough to pay £6k a week for a crock 
  • NabySarr said:
    cabbles said:
    Re: Leaburn being sold, the current speculation re: a takeover would complicate things, but if it were TS and someone came in with even a bid of £1m, he’s likely to accept it, regardless of if we think he’s worth more.  

When you’ve spunked as much money as he has, with what I presume is little chance to recoup it, you’ll take every penny you can get 
    No chance TS accepts £1m or Leaburn would already be gone. 

If he sells Leaburn any new owner will say the club is now worth £X million less as you’ve just sold off the best asset and only thing you own that’s worth anything. Leaburn is probably the only thing that TS can use to justify asking for a decent fee to sell the club so he won’t want him gone on the cheap 
    You think Leaburn is worth £10m? But more to the point, why are you writing in Roman Numerals?
  • JamesSeed said:
    Leaburn, Bonne, Stockley is fine for the rest of the season imo. Especially if we're only playing one striker
    If you had 18 months on a contract on 6k a week.  Why would you move to good knows where for 2k a week?

I mean someone like Salford or Wrexham might offer him decent money.  If he sees Chislehurst, or where ever, as his "forever home" he probably needs to see out his contract to pay for it. 

I don't think there would be the same problem for the likes of Kirk or Lavelle but off loading older players who are from the South East, or have settled there, is a big problem for us.  Hence we are paying a very high % of Gilbey and JFC's wages to play 4th tier football.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    JamesSeed said:
    If you had 18 months on a contract on 6k a week.  Why would you move to good knows where for 2k a week?

I mean someone like Salford or Wrexham might offer him decent money.  If he sees Chislehurst, or where ever, as his "forever home" he probably needs to see out his contract to pay for it. 

I don't think there would be the same problem for the likes of Kirk or Lavelle but off loading older players who are from the South East, or have settled there, is a big problem for us.  Hence we are paying a very high % of Gilbey and JFC's wages to play 4th tier football.
    JFC was a permanent transfer. Won't be paying any of his wages.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    JamesSeed said:

Not necessarily. It’s quite likely that JFC would have demanded a compensation payment of the wages he is missing out on by signing permanently for them on a lower wage. No idea if this happened and it wouldn’t have been the full amount but this kind of thing is quite common 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    JamesSeed said:

Jayden lives 5 minutes from Junction 6, M25 so Gillingham would be doable without moving but it is an alarming dip to go from being wanted by Sheffield Wednesday and Portsmouth, 12 to 18 months ago to his present position of losing the captaincy, falling down the pecking order and the 20 goals in all competitions from last season a distant memory.

Don't think Jayden had any pace to lose so really not sure if this back issue is affecting him this season. Most big forwards that battle have ache and pains as it a fight every match. He has obviously suffered in the 3 up front but even when we have played 3-5-2 he just doesn't look like scoring. 

He won't want to drop wages and he doesn't want to go up 'North' unless he can use Dale Stephens Satnav.
  • NabySarr said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    JamesSeed said:

Not necessarily. It’s quite likely that JFC would have demanded a compensation payment of the wages he is missing out on by signing permanently for them on a lower wage. No idea if this happened and it wouldn’t have been the full amount but this kind of thing is quite common 
    Exactly what Palace did to allow us to sign Williams and Inniss, I suspect that's what QPR did with Bonne as well.  
  • Sponsored links:

• 'End of the world' is the wrong phrase. Stockley saying simply means don't expect to see a forward who offers more on the pitch than off, in terms of a replacement. 
  • Leaburn, Bonne, Stockley is fine for the rest of the season imo. Especially if we're only playing one striker
    You've forgotten to add aneke 😬
  • Stockley does OK with crosses delivered from wide positions (Wimbledon away springs to mind) and he is handy defending corners.
    Not so good as a back to goal target man.
    You've forgotten to add aneke 😬
    Given Aneke is available for about an hour each month I wouldn't think his omission changes much.
  • vffvff
    edited January 2023
    Gribbo said:
    NabySarr said:
    cabbles said:
    Re: Leaburn being sold, the current speculation re: a takeover would complicate things, but if it were TS and someone came in with even a bid of £1m, he’s likely to accept it, regardless of if we think he’s worth more.  

When you’ve spunked as much money as he has, with what I presume is little chance to recoup it, you’ll take every penny you can get 
    Cabbles- : - No chance TS accepts £1m or Leaburn would already be gone.

Gribbo: - 

If he sells Leaburn any new owner will say the club is now worth £X million less as you’ve just sold off the best asset and only thing you own that’s worth anything. Leaburn is probably the only thing that TS can use to justify asking for a decent fee to sell the club so he won’t want him gone on the cheap 
    Gribbo: - You think Leaburn is worth £10m? But more to the point, why are you writing in Roman Numerals?

Vff: - ‘X’ is more of a mathematical type ‘X’ here, Charlton Life at its finest. 

Cable’s point is a good one re: selling off the family silver to generate funds for the takeover that Lenegan clearly doesn’t have (to convince EFL that there is working capital for a year). 

Its a gamble, what happens if Lenegan et al. don’t manage to flip the club before the money runs out in a year ? & they’ve sold off what decent youngsters & saleable assets Charlton have. 

• Crawley would be a shout for Stockley if he wants to stay in the area.
  • If you look at the numbers  we are struggling to offload it underlines what an expensive catastrophe our recruitment, player analysis and black box nonsense has been over the last two years.

Someone should be held accountable but won't be because he is the owner's little boy.  

Pathetic!
    Could probably go back further and include Gallen in that n all
  • Gribbo said:
    If you look at the numbers  we are struggling to offload it underlines what an expensive catastrophe our recruitment, player analysis and black box nonsense has been over the last two years.

Someone should be held accountable but won't be because he is the owner's little boy.  

Pathetic!
    Could probably go back further and include Gallen in that n all
    Have we actually got any players we signed pre takeover left now JFC has gone?  Morgan signed his last contract under ESI 2, with all sorts of 3rd party ownership rumours/bollocks, but other than that I am struggling.
  • If you look at the numbers  we are struggling to offload it underlines what an expensive catastrophe our recruitment, player analysis and black box nonsense has been over the last two years.

Pathetic!
    Sorry but I think that's wrong.  MS is head of analytics which means he does the data mining, data aggragation and produces the analysis and reports and then presents those to Gallen, Rodwell (maybe his Dad) and now Holden.  It's those who make the decisions not him (that would be crazy)...but I guess he's an easy target.