Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• £5m if it was guaranteed it was being re-invested into first team players and the academy I'd be fine with. Absolutely not if it's in TS's back pocket to cover what he's lent the club. 
  • Swisdom said:
    We have had genuine interest in for Miles but it’s not been accepted.

being realistic if someone offered £5m would you take it?  That would support the academy fully for a few years wouldnt it?!
    Selling Miles would be gutting. I know every player has a price but he’s one of the very limited enjoyments of watching us play. If we keep losing players like this it’s no wonder that the supporter base continues to dwindle. 
    If we get a few million, how will it be spent by an owner who is desperate to cut costs and most of his ties? 
    Imagine if we let DH do his thing and try and have a squad capable of competing next season. I’m not sure we’ll make the play offs this year but think we’ll do enough to give us hope for next year. Fans need some hope!
    Finally if the interest is from Palace I hope we tell them to go f@&k themselves. 
  • Based on the clue, and little more, I'll go Luke Harris. Fulham U21 attacking midfielder. Scored a few goals in premier league 2 this year
  • Swisdom said:
    McGrandles out seems sensible.  If we get the player I was told about Saturday he’s slightly more advanced so wouldn’t be a like for like.  Depends if we want to “force” a deal through

We were also looking at another centre midfielder but I don’t know his name.
    Sam Field returning home? 
  • Swisdom said:

being realistic if someone offered £5m would you take it?  That would support the academy fully for a few years wouldnt it?!
    As always it depends how the money is spent. The 10 Million for Lookman was a "great deal" but was all wasted on trenches and RD's pockets. 5 Million for Miles would be great if it was all re-invested into the first team and academy, but it wouldn't be.
    He didn't profit from Charlton. He spent (unwisely) more than he took & is out of pocket.

All owners (outside of CAFC too) get criticised for lack of spending but they are either happy to rack up ever increasing debts and have the capacity to do so or are not. 

Every player at every club will be sold if the price is right.
  • edited January 2023
    Swisdom said:

As always it depends how the money is spent. The 10 Million for Lookman was a "great deal" but was all wasted on trenches and RD's pockets. 5 Million for Miles would be great if it was all re-invested into the first team and academy, but it wouldn't be.
    He didn't profit from Charlton. He spent (unwisely) more than he took & is out of pocket.

All owners (outside of CAFC too) get criticised for lack of spending but they are either happy to rack up ever increasing debts and have the capacity to do so or are not. 

Every player at every club will be sold if the price is right.

...Come on Down...Miles Leaburn...😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:

No. But then I am not the one funding the club £500K a month.  He is likely 2-3 yrs from really growing into his body and once he has he will be a top player. 

I know it is unlikely but if we could keep him for 18months he will just get better and better and if by some miracle we got promoted next season we would have half a chance of keeping him in the championship.  That is when proper cash would chase him.

Realistically I would hope we keep him to the summer, sell him for £5M+ but with a decent sell on (20% like Pope?).  Hopefully he would go to a Brighton/Brentford type who a) loan him back for next season and b) will sell him on for £££ in a few years so we benefit from the sell on.
  • Miles isn't a rough diamond, who's been playing cage or park football. He was at Chelsea's academy until he was 16, so already has had the technical upbringing, what he needs is match experience.

It's not in his interest or our interest for him to leave now, when he's settled and playing regular football.
  • shirty5 said:
    be madness to let him go after flogging Mac. Can understand him not wanting to be no2 though 
  • Swisdom said:

I wouldn’t. Hold out till the summer and get him back on loan next season as part of the deal so he can fire us to promotion (or away from relegation again) 
  • Swisdom said:

If we were in the Championship and he keeps progressing, the price could be £10/15M++. Today £5M plus adds is a good price. As others have said, it depends where the money goes.
  • Miles isn't a rough diamond, who's been playing cage or park football. He was at Chelsea's academy until he was 16, so already has had the technical upbringing, what he needs is match experience.

It's not in his interest or our interest for him to leave now, when he's settled and playing regular football.
    Agreed, but he could join a Prem club, come back on loan until the summer and then either come back or go to the Champ next season. Be earning a lot more money too. 
  • shirty5 said:
    be madness to let him go after flogging Mac. Can understand him not wanting to be no2 though 
    Hate keepers that think they have a god given right to be the number 1. Stay and fight for your place
    Would you not rather fight for a place in the Champ though?
  • Sponsored links:

• I haven't trusted TS since the day he arrived and thoroughly dislike what I see/hear of the guy, however if the club do sell a player for a profit he has every right to pocket the profit against his outlay of running the club at a loss.
  • Can understand JW wanting to go out on loan and get regular games as he'll want to keep his spot with Ghana. However with AMBs history of injuries I don't think it's the right move for the club. Will be interesting to see if this comes to anything. 
  • shirty5 said:
    Hate keepers that think they have a god given right to be the number 1. Stay and fight for your place
    Much more difficult to stay and fight for your place as a goalkeeper though. When they say it’s AMBs spot to lose it really is - the only change JW currently has of getting back in is if AMB gets injured or his form drops.

He’s not even going to get a chance to be rotated in during a cup game, and he obviously won’t during a match. 

Much better for him, and maybe even us in the long term, to go and play and improve then sit on the bench getting no minutes. 

Agreed, but he could join a Prem club, come back on loan until the summer and then either come back or go to the Champ next season. Be earning a lot more money too. 
    It's not the same though, the returning player is no longer "one of our own" with the fans, and seems to slightly lose something in their game. Burstow wasn't the same player when he returned on loan for example.
  • shirty5 said:
    We have already seen that AMB can be susceptible to injury. I think it would be foolish to loan out JW unless we are able to recall in the event of injury? 
    pretty sure that's not allowed. If AMB were to be injured we'd have to emergency loan someone else. 

It's not the same though, the returning player is no longer "one of our own" with the fans, and seems to slightly lose something in their game. Burstow wasn't the same player when he returned on loan for example.
    Yeah tbh, if we do sell Miles shortly, as much as I like him, I’m never a fan of the player staying. Hopefully DH is prepared for all eventualities.

Burstow wasn't as good as Leaburn has been though. I do think it would be a little different with Miles given his families history with the club. I'd like to think most fans would appreciate that.