Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• Stockley before his back injury was great. He has been ineffective since. Wish him well but he needs a fresh start elsewhere 
    Our style hasn't really been to play Stockley and a channel runner since he returned either. 
  • Remember when we all felt like we were short of a decent striker? 

Then we signed Bonne, (about to) let go of Stockley and are still in exactly the same position. 

Money saved though I bet. 
    And love or hate Bonne. He's much much better than this crocked version of Stockley
    Bonne hasn't scored a goal in over a year. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Surely Stockley can't be going to Fleetwood - he was injured for Saturday's game.
    Let's face it - this whole window has been about getting rid of a pile of crap, expensive mistakes that Gallen and MS have precided over and in return if we get Kilkenny it isn't MS' black box of data analytics is it - and neither were ANY of the signings we made in pre season - they were all known by Garner.

We have no money.   Our owner wants to slash the wage bill.   I don't blame him - Kirk, Mansfield and Stockley are earning big salaries for players who aren't getting minutes - same with McGrandles, JFC, Gilbey etc etc

I get it.   But we may as well stop the bullshit.  There are NO billionaires buying us.   Just a group of opportunistic football people who think they can get THIS squad, completely outplayed by Bolton on Saturday and whose best players may well not be here come the Summer (Rak Saki, Leaburn, Dobson, Bonne, Clare (though with Clare, I'm not sure he's in our best players now), plus Kane. Sessegnon etc  - into the Championship on spending no money and polishing what turds we will have left.

It's VERY depressing and I remain under, under, under whelmed!
  • All the best to Jayden - Shows how quickly things can change in Football

Had an outstanding year for us last year, regardless if some of his goals came in Cup Competitions, whilst others were with his stronger right foot, instead of his weaker left etc... But there were equally times when he spoke damned well, spoke about wanting to end his career with us, and put the effort in - That back injury you'd think has something to do with how he plays now, so hope he can rediscover some of his old form on the North coast, just not against us please fella!!
    I wouldn't say outstanding, but 13 league goals last season was a reasonable return. This season he's been really poor though. If it's the back injury, then you wonder if it's a permanent decline?
  • Surprised Stockley is a permanent but it's probably for the best. When it comes to loaning out Kirk and maybe DJ though it's not just about getting them off the wage bill, it's also important that we get them playing and hopefully looking like decent footballers again so that we're more likely to find buyers for them in the summer. Right now with the wages Kirk is on and the amount we paid for him we need him to go out and have a brilliant spell at Burton just to get someone to take him off us long term
    Is it just me that would actually be a bit pissed off if Kirk (arguably even Stockley) left and suddenly had a brilliant spell away from us? Particularly as they are staying in this division. 

Would feel a bit like they've been taking the piss out of us all of this season.

Then we signed Bonne, (about to) let go of Stockley and are still in exactly the same position. 

And love or hate Bonne. He's much much better than this crocked version of Stockley
    He's played a lot less minutes than Stockley and first half of this season he's been primarily used at the end of games in the Championship. 

He was Ipswich's top scorer until they brought in better last season - he got 11 in the first half the season and then again became an option to close out games. 

• So Stockley is on for a 2.5 year move to Fleetwood, so the hat trick is still on Ronnie...✅
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Remember when we all felt like we were short of a decent striker? 

He's played a lot less minutes than Stockley and first half of this season he's been primarily used at the end of games in the Championship. 

He was Ipswich's top scorer until they brought in better last season - he got 11 in the first half the season and then again became an option to close out games. 

Would you be happy with Leaburn and Bonne (+ Aneke occasionally) as our promotion-chasing strikers for 2023/24? 

I certainly wouldn't. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I think thats a bit of scoop for Fleetwood getting Jayden on a permanent for 2.5 years 
  • Waste of time Stockley being here, might as well get him off the books.
  • Egan off to Hibs as I predicted.
  • edited January 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    mendonca said:
    Payne, Morgan, Kilkenny, Henry....all quite similar in physical stature.
     Are they?

Payne 5ft 5" - Short & Stocky
    Kilkenny 5ft 7" Short and Slim
    Henry 5ft 9" Average and Average
    Morgan 5ft 11" Average and Slim

You've got half a foot's difference between the lot and when it comes to their footballing style they're all different too. 

All very different players.
    (I can't speak for Kilkenny's play style yet).

No way is Morgan 5ft 11".
    I've spoken  to him & was similar height.
    5ft 9" at most imo. 
  • Dazzler21 said:

Would you be happy with Leaburn and Bonne (+ Aneke occasionally) as our promotion-chasing strikers for 2023/24? 

I certainly wouldn't. 
    Lets deal with the rest of 2022/23 first before we think about next season, no guarantee we'll have Bonne either

Is it better that we get Stockley off the books now, so we know we need to find two permanent Strikers in the summer (provided we dont find someone else before tomorrow) - Rather than being in a position with Kirk, where we think he's coming back, not sure if he's staying, so cant really get a replacement until he's going.
  • We will never get out of this division with Morgan playing in midfield. He’s not strong enough and  doesn't impose himself enough. He’s obviously a talented footballer and shows up well in training. All the managers play him and then steadily lose faith. We need another agressive ball winner who can also play a bit alongside Dobbo & Fraser.
    Maybe Russell or Kilkenny will do the job but someone has to.
    100% agreed 
  • Dazzler21 said:

I certainly wouldn't. 
    Lets deal with the rest of 2022/23 first before we think about next season, no guarantee we'll have Bonne either

Is it better that we get Stockley off the books now, so we know we need to find two permanent Strikers in the summer (provided we dont find someone else before tomorrow) - Rather than being in a position with Kirk, where we think he's coming back, not sure if he's staying, so cant really get a replacement until he's going.
    If the money is actually invested in the summer yes. 

But I just see this as what it is currently; cost-cutting.

Free transfers and loanees in, contracted players out if they can. If that happens again in the summer we will not move forward. 
  • Dazzler21 said:

I certainly wouldn't. 
    No. But I wouldn't be happy with those two + (post injury) Stockley either. He'd need replacing now or in summer, if we can get him off the books now then so be it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Surprised Stockley is a permanent but it's probably for the best. When it comes to loaning out Kirk and maybe DJ though it's not just about getting them off the wage bill, it's also important that we get them playing and hopefully looking like decent footballers again so that we're more likely to find buyers for them in the summer. Right now with the wages Kirk is on and the amount we paid for him we need him to go out and have a brilliant spell at Burton just to get someone to take him off us long term
    Is it just me that would actually be a bit pissed off if Kirk (arguably even Stockley) left and suddenly had a brilliant spell away from us? Particularly as they are staying in this division. 

Would feel a bit like they've been taking the piss out of us all of this season.
    Different styles suit different players. 
    Stockley and Kirk may well find some form at another club.
    It's up to our recruitment team to now bring in players that suits the way Holden wants to play.

How many minutes since his last goal from
    open play compared to stockley?

Different styles suit different players. 
    Stockley and Kirk may well find some form at another club.
    It's up to our recruitment team to now bring in players that suits the way Holden wants to play.
    Yeah I know what you're saying, not saying I disagree.

I'd still be pissed off though being totally honest. 

How many minutes since his last goal from
    open play compared to stockley?
    Neither of them would be considered 'decent' is my point. 
  • edited January 2023
    shine166 said:
    Great Stockley to Fleetwood, now watch him score a hat trick on the 11th Feb!! 🤷‍♂️
    Won’t be allowed to play against us 
    That's unfortunate 
    He will now he joining on a permanent move not a loan.. 2 1/2 year deal fee undisclosed 
    Told ya that ages ago Ronnie, but you poo pooed it..🤷‍♂️🙄
  • Expect DJ to follow Kirk and Stockley out the door today as well then .... sounds like a good clear out by Holden and not carrying any passengers. 
    My cynical side says at it stands, it looks like primarily a cost reduction exercise to me. Get senior players off wage bill and cover with cheaper loans 
    Start all over again with another summer rebuild. Same Old. And we wonder why we can’t get near to promotion. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    chev said:
    Plotting?  Are they going to kidnap him under the cover of darkness? 
    Under cover of broad daylight from the ground.  In a big brightly coloured open topped car.  Very slowly.

Here's a picture of Dean doing everything he can to stop him being snatched.

Media View Expert insight on Bristol City

• Cafc43v3r said:
    DJ not going anywhere today.  Playing for the u21s.
    And scored after 4 minutes.