Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    I hear people when they say that our league position and manager situation don't matter because players will just accept the highest salary offer. But firstly, we're not going to have the highest salary offer. And secondly, that's only going to attract the kind of player who's happy to pick up a wage at a struggling team rather than one showing ambition at the top. 

We're stuck in a circle of shite. 
    I think we just need to get players in, short term, to make sure we get out the shit as quickly as possible.  I would actually be pleased if we don't sign anyone on a long term contract.

Get them in, hopefully go on a bit of a run, and start to climb the table a bit.

Hopefully by March we will be "safe" and can make a decision on the long term future of Holden and any players that are out of contract in the summer, not leave it until June.

I don't think attracting the calibre of players will be a problem. 
    Why do you think it won't be a problem? We can't offer top salaries in this league unless we believe TS that we have a top four budget. We can't offer  promotion-pushing football. What do we have to offer to attract the best talent in this league? They're just not coming here anymore. 
    We don't need the best talent in the league right now.  We need decent, experienced players that fit perfectly into the obvious gaps.  A proper left footed left back for example.  A striker that is more mobile than Stockley and more durable than Aneke.  That shouldn't be that difficult.

A couple of well chosen young loans to add depth where its lacking and we should be good for midtable.

We have no idea what the budget will be in the summer.  More of the same and we will continue to struggle, half decent and with someone half decent spending it we will be OK.
    What a time to be alive.
    I am only being realistic.  The young, hungry, championship ready (have I missed any clichés?) rebuild can't happen in league 2 can it?

Staying up and being safe ASAP has got to be the goal hasn't it? 
  • I must admit, I read that as he is on his way in. 

Didnt rate Bonne hugely. Did score goals for sure but so much of his overall game lacked. 

If he comes in the he gets the support but it wont get my hopes up to start with. 
  • We started two games with dj and rak saki (spelling) up front. If Bonne comes in as a sub/squad player rather than the first name on the team sheet, then the squad is better

if he is being signed to start...oh dear
  • Couldn't care less about an Instagram post tbf. Most important thing is we start to improve the squad so we can pull away from the relegation zone, I think signing Bonne would help with that.
    He would improve the attacking options but from a low starting point. If he comes in I’ll cheer him on just like I do everyone else that wears the shirt but I will be a disappointed that we haven’t aimed a little higher. 
  • Remember Bonne played for us in the Championship. At this level I think he will be okay.

This reminds me of the never ending debates back in the day about Kevin Lisbie. He almost played exclusively for us in the top flight and although he had his moments the consensus was that he never progressed. Speak to Colchester or Orient fans and he is considered a club legend having performed superbly at L1 level.
  • Swisdom said:
    Almost one week down....

Squad is currently worse than when we began the window and we have a game tomorrow. 
    Yet we are several thousand pounds per week better off, despite shifting a fringe player. 

In the immortal words of Russell Slade. Patience.
    I'm sure that'll be of great comfort if we lose tomorrow. 
    Why... Do you think JFC was gonna be involved, when he's barely been used at all this season?
    More that we would have had the time to actually make some headway with the large amount of signings we actually need. 

There was a period between September and December if we felt we missed out on a striker to line one up for January 1st. Didn't happen. 
  • Maybe I’m just dramatic but I feel like signing a player who has openly mocked the club as really poor form
  • Sponsored links:

• Forget the instagram post. 
    Do you think Bonne would improve our squad ? Seems opinions are divided. 
  • I can see it now. Sandgaard at 11pm on transfer deadline day rubbing his erect nipples saying we did everything we could to get players in but we couldn't get it over the line. 
    I rate him higher in terms of mobility and work rate than Stockley, better finisher too, worse header of the ball and worse in terms of footballing brain. 
  • Swisdom said:
    Almost one week down....

Squad is currently worse than when we began the window and we have a game tomorrow. 
    Yet we are several thousand pounds per week better off, despite shifting a fringe player. 

In the immortal words of Russell Slade. Patience.
    I'm sure that'll be of great comfort if we lose tomorrow. 
    Why... Do you think JFC was gonna be involved, when he's barely been used at all this season?
    More that we would have had the time to actually make some headway with the large amount of signings we actually need. 

There was a period between September and December if we felt we missed out on a striker to line one up for January 1st. Didn't happen. 
    That would have been ideal but it rarely works like that in the real world. BBC shows only two EFL clubs made a signing on 1st January.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/transfers

• Looking at the lack of business done so far through the leagues it’s no really a stick to beat the club with is it?  Early days and I’m sure most players will want to assess their options before making a decision. 
  • Chunes said:
    If Bonne had any prospects at Championship level he wouldn't have had his contract terminated after a £2 million investment by his club. They've got the measure of him. 

I can't believe we look like we're signing another former player. And one that's not even good. This club...
    Like Yann you mean? 
  • edited January 2023
    Forget the instagram post. 
    I think he is a typical average (and I don't mean average in a bad way) footballer at this level and on the whole I think he would improve most teams he would join - you don't score double figure goals at championship or league one level if you're 'not very good', 'terrible' or all the other tripe Charlton fans level at him because he is a melon who has said stupid things.

Like many players there will be loads of variables in how he will perform and if he can stay consistent - and players at this level are much more effected by these variables then elite players. I am sure before last season, most on here wouldn't what us to sign Cole Stockton, yet he had one really hot season, and all of a sudden people were getting angry we were not trying to sign him.

He will likely end up with a 1 in 3ish goal ratio when he ends his careers - which is very much in line with most strikers in our pool of players we can get.
  • edited January 2023
    Chunes said:
    If Bonne had any prospects at Championship level he wouldn't have had his contract terminated after a £2 million investment by his club. They've got the measure of him. 

I can't believe we look like we're signing another former player. And one that's not even good. This club...
    Like Yann you mean? 
    Bonne's another Yann Kermorgant is he? :o
  • Sponsored links:

At the moment he definitely would simply because we have exactly one fully functioning striker and he's 19 years old. 

So on the basis that he is a striker whose played in L1 before, he's better than nothing. But personally even in our current state I'd like to be aiming higher than that.
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Like Yann you mean? 
    Not sure, but do you think Leicester were correct in releasing Yann? I’m shocked you think “they had the measure of him” despite the fact he went on to play in the Prem. 

• Bonne seemed to have his supporters at Ipswich when he was there.
    started like a train but didn’t really push on.
    Ipswich had a poor season last year and you can’t place everything at Bonnes front door for that.
    I’m torn on the idea of bringing him back.
    in the absence of Chuks and Stockley woefully out of form, I think I’d give him a deal until July 24.
    You can’t place all expectations on Leaburn 
  • edited January 2023
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Like Yann you mean? 
    Not sure, but do you think Leicester were correct in releasing Yann? I’m shocked you think “they had the measure of him” despite the fact he went on to play in the Prem. 

I wasn't talking about Yann, was talking about Bonne. I didn't say that every player released from Championship clubs can't play in the Champ. Bonne isn't an unknown entity to us, he played for us, we know his limits as a player and QPR got the measure of him. 
  • Bonne is Zimbabwean. Are they in the African Nations Cup this spring?
  • edited January 2023
    The way I see it, is its not about feeling desperate to do early business, so that it shows intent, more that each week that goes by, our squad is insufficient to compete at this level. If it was, then the managers so far this season would have got them higher up the table.

Squad players are a waste of time and money. We need quality across the team adding, but not just in one or two positions. The key question is how much money is available. If it is only enough for one good player AFTER a good clear out, or 3-4 League 1-2 fodder then what's the point in paying signing on fees.

I'm betting my money that the squad in no better on paper on February 1st than it was on January 1st. If Leaburn, Dobson or Clare leave in the window, I'm done with the owners for the season, unless the money received, and some extra, is ploughed into some real quality additions. 

Cut out the dead wood, absolutely in happy to see them go now, but get in quality replacements that improve on their predecessors. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    I hear people when they say that our league position and manager situation don't matter because players will just accept the highest salary offer. But firstly, we're not going to have the highest salary offer. And secondly, that's only going to attract the kind of player who's happy to pick up a wage at a struggling team rather than one showing ambition at the top. 

We're stuck in a circle of shite. 
    I think we just need to get players in, short term, to make sure we get out the shit as quickly as possible.  I would actually be pleased if we don't sign anyone on a long term contract.

Get them in, hopefully go on a bit of a run, and start to climb the table a bit.

Hopefully by March we will be "safe" and can make a decision on the long term future of Holden and any players that are out of contract in the summer, not leave it until June.

I don't think attracting the calibre of players will be a problem. 
    Why do you think it won't be a problem? We can't offer top salaries in this league unless we believe TS that we have a top four budget. We can't offer  promotion-pushing football. What do we have to offer to attract the best talent in this league? They're just not coming here anymore. 
    We don't need the best talent in the league right now.  We need decent, experienced players that fit perfectly into the obvious gaps.  A proper left footed left back for example.  A striker that is more mobile than Stockley and more durable than Aneke.  That shouldn't be that difficult.

A couple of well chosen young loans to add depth where its lacking and we should be good for midtable.

We have no idea what the budget will be in the summer.  More of the same and we will continue to struggle, half decent and with someone half decent spending it we will be OK.
    What a time to be alive.
    I am only being realistic.  The young, hungry, championship ready (have I missed any clichés?) rebuild can't happen in league 2 can it?

Staying up and being safe ASAP has got to be the goal hasn't it? 
    Yeah 100% i agree. Just a sad reflection on where we're at right now.
  • Pedro45 said:
    Bonne is Zimbabwean. Are they in the African Nations Cup this spring?
    Next African nations cup is in January 2024.
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Like Yann you mean? 

I wasn't talking about Yann, was talking about Bonne. I didn't say that every player released from Championship clubs can't play in the Champ. Bonne isn't an unknown entity to us, he played for us, we know his limits as a player and QPR got the measure of him. 
    He did a reasonable job for us in the league above. I certainly wouldn’t want that again. But at league 1 level he’s better than the likes of Stockley, Schwartz and Bogle. 
  • Oh and if Bonne returns, I'm underwhelmed to the extreme. I'd have snatched any buyers hand off at £200k, £2m was insane. The trickery involved makes Derren Brown look like Mr Tumble.