Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Our scouts working wonders again. 

Are they allowed to go out and watch other teams play? Or are they stuck watching archive footage from our own games?
    Funny that Gallen and Martin, who according to Thomas are always out scouting, are at every single one of our games...
    This is such a great shout, never put 2+2 together. Gallen has used up his credits, can go with Martin and TS.
    Gallen was not a few games back he was watching a player 
    The point is, it was said he was always out scouting when actually he is almost always present at Charlton games.
    I would imagine that watching our players is a major part of his job.

• limeygent said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Our scouts working wonders again. 

Are they allowed to go out and watch other teams play? Or are they stuck watching archive footage from our own games?
    Funny that Gallen and Martin, who according to Thomas are always out scouting, are at every single one of our games...
    This is such a great shout, never put 2+2 together. Gallen has used up his credits, can go with Martin and TS.
    Gallen was not a few games back he was watching a player 
    The point is, it was said he was always out scouting when actually he is almost always present at Charlton games.
    I would imagine that watching our players is a major part of his job.

Watches the opposition too.

"I've found loads of players better than ours...."
  • I was looking forward to a front two of Bonne Nombe
    I long for the days of Koc & Fanni 
    Just the Fanni for me.
  • edited January 2023
    I think our midfield three, if we play a three is Dobson, Fraser and Payne and we need another player in there to pick from. Dobson earns a place despite not scoring many so the other two need to be able to score and create and I see Fraser and Payne as the only two that come close to fitting that bill who we currently have and who is ready. I would prefer a player with a great shot as this is an area we are a bit lacking in IMO.
    Martin Sandgaard ? Edit .......... beaten to it, by about a day  :D
  • I think our midfield three, if we play a three is Dobson, Fraser and Payne and we need another player in there to pick from. Dobson earns a place despite not scoring many so the other two need to be able to score and create and I see Fraser and Payne as the only two that come close to fitting that bill who we currently have and who is ready. I would prefer a player with a great shot as this is an area we are a bit lacking in IMO.
    Martin Sandgaard ? Edit .......... beaten to it, by about a day  :D
    Yes bt other attributes would help too.
  • I suppose it is technically still early. Just the latter part of early.
  • It’s 6th January… it’s still very early
  • Maybe they all mean early compared to recent panic laden windows, so I think our first signing might be about the 22nd.
  • Sponsored links:

• I hear people when they say that our league position and manager situation don't matter because players will just accept the highest salary offer. But firstly, we're not going to have the highest salary offer. And secondly, that's only going to attract the kind of player who's happy to pick up a wage at a struggling team rather than one showing ambition at the top. 

We're stuck in a circle of shite. 
  • Chunes said:
    I hear people when they say that our league position and manager situation don't matter because players will just accept the highest salary offer. But firstly, we're not going to have the highest salary offer. And secondly, that's only going to attract the kind of player who's happy to pick up a wage at a struggling team rather than one showing ambition at the top. 

100% agree with the first paragraph , but I don't agree with the last sentence, but i do think that this window will plug a few gaps and move us up the table with short term contracts.

Can't be easy to attract players in our current situation. Short term manager , just above the relegation zone and real uncertainty over the ownership. Will take a really good salesman job to sign an ambitious player who has other options. 
  • Think once we  get macG wages of books we will be able to make some signings think it’ll be 2 frees and 2 loans.probably not be very good standard unless we get lucky with a young loan player. But hopefully squad will be more balanced sriker and LB 
  • Almost one week down....

Squad is currently worse than when we began the window and we have a game tomorrow. 
  • That makes 80% still open.
  • Sponsored links:

• Think once we  get macG wages of books we will be able to make some signings think it’ll be 2 frees and 2 loans.probably not be very good standard unless we get lucky with a young loan player. But hopefully squad will be more balanced sriker and LB 
    If we sign only the quality of players we’ve seen in the last few windows, frees, cheap options and league two players then what’s the point. All we’ll do is plug gaps and won’t move forward and progress. We don’t need Andy Scott to do that for us. We’ve shown we’re perfectly capable of making our own wrong decisions. Yes look at loans but the two or three permanent signings are what we’re going to be building next season around. They need to be better than we’ve got or letting go. When we do our business I’ll be looking at what the player knowledgeable posters on here have to say. Anything less than suitably impressed and I’ll assume there is no money and until we get proper owners, whenever that might be then we’re stuffed.
  • Luongo has signed for Ipswich on a six month deal
  • 20% of the window has already slammed shut.  
    A window is either slammed shut fully, Open/closed partially or fully open. 

The window may well be 20% of the way to being closed, but in reality it is 100% open. 
  • edited January 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    I hear people when they say that our league position and manager situation don't matter because players will just accept the highest salary offer. But firstly, we're not going to have the highest salary offer. And secondly, that's only going to attract the kind of player who's happy to pick up a wage at a struggling team rather than one showing ambition at the top. 

I think we just need to get players in, short term, to make sure we get out the shit as quickly as possible.  I would actually be pleased if we don't sign anyone on a long term contract.

Get them in, hopefully go on a bit of a run, and start to climb the table a bit.

Hopefully by March we will be "safe" and can make a decision on the long term future of Holden and any players that are out of contract in the summer, not leave it until June.

I don't think attracting the calibre of players will be a problem. 
    Why do you think it won't be a problem? We can't offer top salaries in this league unless we believe TS that we have a top four budget. We can't offer  promotion-pushing football. What do we have to offer to attract the best talent in this league? They're just not coming here anymore. 
  • Look on the plus side... As another Lifer has said to me already

If Bonne was definitely signing for us, why wasn't it announced at exactly the same time as when QPR released him? - Why did they need to announce his release at all, when they could have waited and said: "Macca has joined Charlton on a permanent deal, we wish him all the best"
  • Almost one week down....

Squad is currently worse than when we began the window and we have a game tomorrow. 
    Yet we are several thousand pounds per week better off, despite shifting a fringe player. 

In the immortal words of Russell Slade. Patience.