Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• I am of the opinion, and I know some will differ, that we are probably three players short in terms of making us competitive in this League. A full back and a couple of strikers. Ideally you would add another full back, a CB and a CM to that but we have massive holes in those three stated positions and that has cost us so far.
  • There must be other & better options than Bonne FFS!

What’s the point of recruiting Andy Scott & him giving the interview he gave last week if we’re now gonna follow that up by signing a headless chicken.

We’ve had enough shit signings over the last few years!

We should be looking at the likes of Sam Nombe, Jack Marriott, Aaron Collins etc. All of these will come if we pay the money.

• edited January 2023
    We went for Bonne in the Summer as we had limited options left I suspect. I know this is a difficult window but leaving your business late is a massive mistake.
  • Clearly going for the cheap option if Bonne does sign. Probably the best we could do without spending a fee. He'll probably end up doing alright but god it's just so uninspiring 
  • To save me searching back through 300 posts, what is the instagram post story with Bonne? What has he liked/said?
  • I am of the opinion, and I know some will differ, that we are probably three players short in terms of making us competitive in this League. A full back and a couple of strikers. Ideally you would add another full back, a CB and a CM to that but we have massive holes in those three stated positions and that has cost us so far.
    I think a CB is needed more than the second striker. I think a LB and striker comfortably keeps us up, CB and CM needed to get us into the top half. 
  • edited January 2023
    I would agree if O'Connell wasn't close to returning.
  • I would agree if O'Connell wasn't close to returning.
    Everyone else around him in either unproven or not good enough though. I still feel there's a weak link every week unless we can bring in a CB.

What’s the point of recruiting Andy Scott & him giving the interview he gave last week if we’re now gonna follow that up by signing a headless chicken.

We should be looking at the likes of Sam Nombe, Jack Marriott, Aaron Collins etc. All of these will come if we pay the money.

I wouldn't class Jack Marriott as better than Bonne. Hasn't Marriott just been released by Peterborough? We need players that can get us out of l1. If Marriott is surplus at Peterborough, why would he do well here?
  • Sponsored links:

• I find it interesting that Karl Robinson, obviously doing good things at Oxford seems to like both Bonne and Wickham. Managers will see what us fans see but they must also see attributes that will impact that team that fans maybe overlook. I know plenty don't want him but it makes you think we'd be lucky to nab one of them if better teams in our league want them!
    https://therealefl.co.uk/2023/01/06/oxford-united-boss-makes-transfer-revelation-over-in-demand-strikers/

I wouldn't class Jack Marriott as better than Bonne. Hasn't Marriott just been released by Peterborough? We need players that can get us out of l1. If Marriott is surplus at Peterborough, why would he do well here?
    That's a ludicrous statement, just look at their records for the clubs they've played for. Marriott is a much better option then bonne. 
  • Never happening in a million years but i'd love Marriott & Wickham
  • CAFCDAZ said:
    There must be other & better options than Bonne FFS!

That's a ludicrous statement, just look at their records for the clubs they've played for. Marriott is a much better option then bonne. 
    You'll probably get more games out of Bonne... Marriott is another I dont overly trust over his fitness
  • CAFCDAZ said:

That's a ludicrous statement, just look at their records for the clubs they've played for. Marriott is a much better option than bonne. 
    Why have Peterborough let him go? Im not convinced with the one up top argument. It's a squad game and if Marriott was so good, surely they would want him to keep him and replace Clarke-Harris if he got injured or suspended.
  • CAFCDAZ said:

That's a ludicrous statement, just look at their records for the clubs they've played for. Marriott is a much better option than bonne. 
    Why have Peterborough let him go? Im not convinced with the one up top argument. It's a squad game and if Marriott was so good, surely they would want him to keep him and replace Clarke-Harris if he got injured or suspended.
    Be funny if Bonne ended up at Peterborough now.

Can we get players that can keep us in league 1 first? 
  • edited January 2023
    All this talk of Bonne, either positive or negative...can't really see him even  wanting to come back here anyway knowing how he was perceived when he left for QPR, so not on as I see it...🤷‍♂️

Peterborough play one up top and he’s behind Clarke-Harris who is probably the best striker in the division. Marriott is leaving because she wants to start games, personally I would have Marriott over Bonne every day of the week. Cost is the big difference.
    We also just put our best performance of the season in while playing 1 up top which is not a role that Marriott is good at. If long term Holden wants to return to his 3-5-2 then Marriott would be worth signing but at the moment for a Leaburn backup I can’t see us getting much better than Bonne that is going to sign for a lower mid table league 1 team 
  • Sponsored links:

All of those players, if available, would be looking to join a team that isn’t 17th in league 1. Even if we are the only team offering the money they want they’d probably rather wait till the summer than join us in our current state 
  • think that’s what Todd meant getting out of league 1 to league 2.we’ve been signing players from Swindon ffs how are Peterborough players not good enough for us. 
  • Bonne's tally of missed sitters were a big contribution to our last day relegation from the Championship. But he would do a job for us in Div One and push us up the table a bit. It is very telling that Peterborough can plan to off-load Marriott whilst we can only dream of getting someone with his experience and skill.
    These days clubs seem to focus on strikers who dash around like super athletes. Think of Teddy Sherringham who simply had a nous for being in the right place at the right time and scored goals for fun. Kermorgant was of a similar calibre. If you can't read the game you won't score many goals.
  • With regard to our January transfer dealings I said a week or so ago that I take what people say with a pinch of salt & rather trust their actions. I also said that I expect us to bring in 4 or 5 new players (signings & loans) and believe what Andy Scott said (to a point).

However, I would say that I expected something by now, but as these things do take time I'm not panicking yet, but if we get to the Barnsley game next Saturday without signing at least 1 or 2 players then I'll be seriously doubting Scott & his new cohorts intentions. 
    I’ve liked your post but my question is why would Scott and co feel the need to say anything about signing players and having a budget and strategy. They could have maintained radio silence just as easily. If nothing happens now, which I think unlikely then I’m guessing Scott was conned just like us. I think we’ll sign at least four and more likely six.
  • Or was Scott just brought in to get rid of players not bring in players 
  • Or was Scott just brought in to get rid of players not bring in players 
    Part of it could well be moving on players we don't want but if they sell the "asset" (singular) they will most likely doom us to relegation.  A firesale is highly unlikely IMO, for loads of reasons.