Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• The net is wide, what about far. Far is important 
  • That makes 80% still open.
    Good point. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    20% of the window has already slammed shut.  
    A window is either slammed shut fully, Open/closed partially or fully open. 

The window may well be 20% of the way to being closed, but in reality it is 100% open. 
    The window is 20% ajar ?
  • Ferryman said:
    Do our scouts have a database of 4 players? 

Honestly, if we got back Bonne it’ll annoy me. Not because he’s shit (he is) but because we keep signing the same fkin players. Leko next anyone?
    Mullins, Purse, Bonne, Matt Smith?
    Ferryman said:
    Do our scouts have a database of 4 players? 

Honestly, if we got back Bonne it’ll annoy me. Not because he’s shit (he is) but because we keep signing the same fkin players. Leko next anyone?
    Mullins, Purse, Bonne, Matt Smith?
    Matt Smith is four on his own 
  • Can someone shut the window it’s bloody 🥶?
  • la fenêtre a besoin d'être nettoyée
  • JamesSeed said:
    Obviously not proving to be an easy window. I thought the aim was to bring a couple in early?
    Didn't Scott or Holden mention getting our signings done early before letting the fringe players move on. JFC gone, McGill rumoured to have gone for a Burton, are we going to be stripped to  the bare bones ? I know it's still early-ish but with all the cost cutting mentioned nothing would surprise me. Obviously it doesn't make sense to weaken the squad as I'm sure they don't want us relegated but what does make sense with the current shenanigans.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2023
    I agree with a lot of the more positive comments on here in that getting the right players for our current predicament isn’t hard. 

Football is a job for the players so they will be mostly motivated by the offer. The first litmus test of all the cloak and dagger stuff going on is whether we do actually have the funds for a war chest for the new Gang of Four. 

The player that is foremost looking at the league position, promotion prospects and playing style of a club is either a rising talent with great belief in themselves or already attached to a Premier League club and only available through a loan. The former will be tricky to get but probably not the best for the fight we’re in. Gaining the latter is mostly out of our control. All we can do is promise minutes (and plenty of them) for any young talent we are blessed with. 

None of the above stops me from checking on here every few minutes despite heeding the exhortation of @Henry Irving for the moment WIOTOS.
  • Swisdom said:
    Almost one week down....

Squad is currently worse than when we began the window and we have a game tomorrow. 
    Yet we are several thousand pounds per week better off, despite shifting a fringe player. 

In the immortal words of Russell Slade. Patience.
    I'm sure that'll be of great comfort if we lose tomorrow. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    I hear people when they say that our league position and manager situation don't matter because players will just accept the highest salary offer. But firstly, we're not going to have the highest salary offer. And secondly, that's only going to attract the kind of player who's happy to pick up a wage at a struggling team rather than one showing ambition at the top. 

We're stuck in a circle of shite. 
    I think we just need to get players in, short term, to make sure we get out the shit as quickly as possible.  I would actually be pleased if we don't sign anyone on a long term contract.

Get them in, hopefully go on a bit of a run, and start to climb the table a bit.

Hopefully by March we will be "safe" and can make a decision on the long term future of Holden and any players that are out of contract in the summer, not leave it until June.

I don't think attracting the calibre of players will be a problem. 
    I think we only need one position sorted to avoid relegation and that is centre forward - if Miles Leaburn gets injured we are stuffed. We have basically been playing with no centre forwared for half a season. If we want to go on a rampage up the league then thats a different matter.   
  • Swisdom said:
    Almost one week down....

Squad is currently worse than when we began the window and we have a game tomorrow. 
    Yet we are several thousand pounds per week better off, despite shifting a fringe player. 

Makes no difference. He wouldn’t have played but if it means we have better position to negotiate then it’s all good
  • JFC would not be involved tomorrow it’s a league match we could only play him in cup matches for some reason money I would think 
  • Swisdom said:
    Almost one week down....

You must be golfie jnr. Never known someone so miserable about everything other than Golfie.
    @Redmidland you’re wanted 😉
  • JFC would not be involved tomorrow it’s a league match we could only play him in cup matches for some reason money I would think 
    He played in the league few weeks back 
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:
    Almost one week down....

You must be golfie jnr. Never known someone so miserable about everything other than Golfie.

There's a few more, usually repetitive!
    JFC hit his quota in Garners’ last game - in stoppage time which triggered the salary increase automatically (as I have been explained it). A 🖕🏻 from Garner perhaps acknowledging that this would go down like a bag of sick, while the 🖕🏻 was duly responded to with his release. Perhaps not the only reason, but knowing what I had been told, I immediately turned to my lad in that league game and just had one word…’ouch’ before chuckling!
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    I hear people when they say that our league position and manager situation don't matter because players will just accept the highest salary offer. But firstly, we're not going to have the highest salary offer. And secondly, that's only going to attract the kind of player who's happy to pick up a wage at a struggling team rather than one showing ambition at the top. 

I think we just need to get players in, short term, to make sure we get out the shit as quickly as possible.  I would actually be pleased if we don't sign anyone on a long term contract.

Get them in, hopefully go on a bit of a run, and start to climb the table a bit.

Hopefully by March we will be "safe" and can make a decision on the long term future of Holden and any players that are out of contract in the summer, not leave it until June.

Why do you think it won't be a problem? We can't offer top salaries in this league unless we believe TS that we have a top four budget. We can't offer  promotion-pushing football. What do we have to offer to attract the best talent in this league? They're just not coming here anymore. 
    We don't need the best talent in the league right now.  We need decent, experienced players that fit perfectly into the obvious gaps.  A proper left footed left back for example.  A striker that is more mobile than Stockley and more durable than Aneke.  That shouldn't be that difficult.

A couple of well chosen young loans to add depth where its lacking and we should be good for midtable.

We have no idea what the budget will be in the summer.  More of the same and we will continue to struggle, half decent and with someone half decent spending it we will be OK.
    What a time to be alive.
  • edited January 2023
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

I think we only need one position sorted to avoid relegation and that is centre forward - if Miles Leaburn gets injured we are stuffed. We have basically been playing with no centre forwared for half a season. If we want to go on a rampage up the league then thats a different matter.   
    I think our defence is bloody awful. Admittedly we’re without O’Connell and Egbo who I think would help but Inniss and Lavelle accidents waiting to happen. Defensively we make the same mistakes over and over again. Difficult to win matches when you can’t defend.

That totally depends on who's playing though, as you say. Wasn't too bad against Pompey or Brighton.

Although anyone else notice we don't seem to stick someone on the posts when defending corners?
  • "I know some fans have felt an Instagram post" - Isnt just the Footballers getting f**king soft, diving etc.
  • PWADDICK said:

Really? 
    Absolute bullshit. 100% fed by Bonne to Cawley to try and soften things.