Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• PWR

81 new posts, shall I or shall I not trawl through only to be ultimately disappointed when the conversation has gone further of piste or more variations on the ‘Bonne’ debate!

In the words of Dirty Harry, ‘Well punk, do you feel lucky’ I don’t, so won’t bother.

• PWR

81 new posts, shall I or shall I not trawl through only to be ultimately disappointed when the conversation has gone further of piste or more variations on the ‘Bonne’ debate!

In the words of Dirty Harry, ‘Well punk, do you feel lucky’ I don’t, so won’t bother.

Wise decision!
  • Or was Scott just brought in to get rid of players not bring in players 
    It’s possible but why did he feel the need to tell us about signings etc. He could have kept #chtum
  • Aaron Collins -25 L1 apps 2,212 minutes, 13 goals
    Sam Nombe - 25 apps, 1,730 minutes, 11 goals. 11 apps, 171 minutes, 0 goals in the Championship in 20/21
    Jack Marriott - 21 apps, 830 minutes, 4 goals. 44 apps, 3,922 minutes, 27 goals in L1 in 2017/18. 28 apps, 1,370 minutes, 9 goals in the Championship in 2021/22. Unwanted by a L1 team.
    Macauley Bonne - 43 apps, 2,761 minutes, 12 goals in L1 in 21/22. 33 apps, 2,352 minutes, 11 goals for Charlton in the Championship 19/20. Unwanted by a Championship team.

That's all those players' best seasons at their highest levels and our current level. On paper there's not really a huge gulf between them. Nombe and Collins are halfway through so they could double their goal tallies (though obviously that would double their minutes tallies too) and Marriott had a brilliant L1 season but it was 5 years ago. I know people don't like Bonne because they decided he looks funny on the pitch or whatever but if we were presented with these four options without Bonne playing for us before then I don't think there would be so much resistance. The unknown player, like the injured player, is always much better than the one who you've seen play for you. I think we just make all players rubbish.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Obviously not proving to be an easy window. I thought the aim was to bring a couple in early?
    Early for us is the third week of transfer period 
  • Sponsored links:

• Bonne's tally of missed sitters were a big contribution to our last day relegation from the Championship. But he would do a job for us in Div One and push us up the table a bit. It is very telling that Peterborough can plan to off-load Marriott whilst we can only dream of getting someone with his experience and skill.
    These days clubs seem to focus on strikers who dash around like super athletes. Think of Teddy Sherringham who simply had a nous for being in the right place at the right time and scored goals for fun. Kermorgant was of a similar calibre. If you can't read the game you won't score many goals.
    That's one way of looking at it. Another way is that he was our backup striker we signed from non-league who had to play far more than he should have because when our star striker wasn't injured he was refusing to play, one of our other strikers was Chuks and Hemed scored 0 goals. Our next highest goalscorer who was still at the club after Leko and Gallagher went home was Naby Sarr with 3. We scored 6 goals after lockdown and Bonne scored half of them. The others were scored by Doughty, Pratley and Pearce. No-one else contributed. Those goals should have got us a point against Brentford at least but for Cullen losing his head in the box, should have been the goal that secured our survival against Birmingham but the rest of the team couldn't hold out for another 30 seconds, and got us a last minute draw against Wigan that left it in our hands on the final day. The one he missed against Millwall wouldn't have been such a big deal if the rest of the team had done their bit in the games where he did his part. Bowyer loved to criticise him though and that transferred to the fans I think.
    Decent summary... Effectively, our fourth choice Striker from the summer signings, was the one who almost kept us up, is the other way of looking at it - I mean these were Bowyer's comments after the Taylor injury

https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/17976271.patience-needed-bonne-says-charltons-bowyer/
  • Gillingham who have scored 7 goals want to sign a striker who has 1 from open play 😂
  • I know it's still early days in the window, but i really thought we'd have a couple of signings by the weekend.

Sucked in again 
    Just reposting for all the people who Lol'd my comment yesterday because "It's only Thursday"
  • I know it's still early days in the window, but i really thought we'd have a couple of signings by the weekend.

Sucked in again 
    Just reposting for all the people who Lol'd my comment yesterday because "It's only Thursday"
    Ok, we’ll all have a good laugh on Friday;) what shall we do on the remaining days of the week?

Could this turn into a new single from Craig David!
  • Can't see Stockley going until we have options in the door to replace him. Not surprised he's being linked with moves away though. 
  • edited January 2023
    Probably a BS rumour but if he went to a club at the bottom of League 2 it would say a lot.
  • CafcSCP said:
    Bonne seemed to have his supporters at Ipswich when he was there.
    started like a train but didn’t really push on.
    Ipswich had a poor season last year and you can’t place everything at Bonnes front door for that.
    I’m torn on the idea of bringing him back.
    in the absence of Chuks and Stockley woefully out of form, I think I’d give him a deal until July 24.
    You can’t place all expectations on Leaburn 

Ipswich started very well last season. And so did Bonne.

Ipswich fell away, Bonne's goals dried up.

A Third Division striker is usually only as good as the service he gets.

• Sponsored links:

• Fringe out to save money or to re-invest? 🤷🏻‍♂️ Hopefully the latter and none of these latest rumours upsetting my day…
  • PWR, so it may have been posted, but Karl Robinson has giving an interview (I know, when doesn't he?) saying they've been looking at 'one of' Wickham and Bonne.
  • edited January 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    They have money now, under new ownership. 
  • edited January 2023
    Oggy Red said:
    CafcSCP said:
    Ipswich had a poor season last year and you can’t place everything at Bonnes front door for that.
    in the absence of Chuks and Stockley woefully out of form, I think I’d give him a deal until July 24.

They started worse than us... However Bonne was one of the few bonuses in the first half of the season, despite his goals drying up, he still finished joint top scorer for them last season - Notice he only scored the single goal after McKenna arrived.

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=73283&season_id=154
  • Gills don’t like to score so they must be trying to get Stockley  in for his defensive qualities.
  • edited January 2023
    Oggy Red said:
    CafcSCP said: