Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• Like we’ve got the cheek to want a price for him 

• sm said:

This is why we won’t ever become more than just a mediocre league 1 club. ex player obsession 
  • I reckon I can afford the asking price that should be set for him.
  • J BLOCK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    They have money now, under new ownership. 
    I still can't see that we would insist on it, would probably make him the highest paid player in league 2.  Maybe 1 or 2 at Salford on more but not many.
  • What's the asking price?
  • Plymouth have signed Jay Matete on loan from Sunderland. Decent signing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Plymouth have signed Jay Matete on loan from Sunderland. Decent signing.
    4th signing so far.
  • Like we’ve got the cheek to want a price for him 
    The fee Gills paid Crockenhill for Tony Cascarino all those years ago will do nicely..
  • cabbles said:
    It says something about our recent transfer record, that two players we paid fees for are being linked with L2 clubs
    It’s this people need to remind themselves of when they say, “we’re only X amount of players away from being able to compete”

Stockley - linked with Gillingham 
    Mansfield - failed deadline day move to Mansfield 
    JFC - Stevenage 
    Gilbey - Stevenage 
    Elliott Lee - Wrexham
    Matthews - Somewhere in Cyprus
    Gunter - AFC Wimbledon 
    Pratley - Leyton Orient 
    Leko - back to Brum reserves 
    Pearce - retired 

I understand all of these players aren’t ones you might think are good enough.  But I think if you look where the class of the last few years have ended up, it tells a very obvious story.  Individually and collectively it’s been abysmal.  However, I’ve read numerous posts on here over the years arguing for all these players in one way, shape or form being good enough, they just need 2 or 3 more.  

I would imagine this time in 8 months we can add Morgan to this list, Kirk, Aneke, Payne, and even CBT.  

The only player at the moment who has been part of our team in the last few years (from 19/20 onwards) that has gone on to better things is Maatsen and possibly Millar, although I haven’t been following his career.  The facts are undeniable imo.  If any of the above had been strong enough, we wouldn’t be where we are, even with a couple of ‘better players’ 

TBF you could do the same thing a year/18 months out with our last two promotion winning teams.

No one  would say that Hollands and BWP weren't key players and ended the next season out on loan to lower league teams.

In the summer of 2021 I said all we had to do was replace our 5 worst players with 5 "best" ones and we would go up.  We lost our 5 best players.

The squad, bar the left back and center foward issue, is OK.  It's the 4, 5 or 6 really good players we haven't got.

Aribo, Taylor, BFG, Cullen, Beilk 
    Stephens, Wiggins, Yann, Jackson, Solly

Dobson wouldn't be a stand out player in that company, Leaburn wouldn't be relied on, you could get by with Clare as back up right back, it wouldn't matter if CBT missed some chances.

Most of our current players, or the ones you mentioned, aren’t worse than the Docherty, Euell, Benson, Marshall, Lapslie, Reeves, Parker etc etc and some of them are better than Wagstaff, Hayes, Purrington etc.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    It says something about our recent transfer record, that two players we paid fees for are being linked with L2 clubs
    It’s this people need to remind themselves of when they say, “we’re only X amount of players away from being able to compete”

JFC - Stevenage 
    Gilbey - Stevenage 
    Elliott Lee - Wrexham
    Gunter - AFC Wimbledon 
    Pratley - Leyton Orient 
    Pearce - retired 

I understand all of these players aren’t ones you might think are good enough.  But I think if you look where the class of the last few years have ended up, it tells a very obvious story.  Individually and collectively it’s been abysmal.  However, I’ve read numerous posts on here over the years arguing for all these players in one way, shape or form being good enough, they just need 2 or 3 more.  

I would imagine this time in 8 months we can add Morgan to this list, Kirk, Aneke, Payne, and even CBT.  

The only player at the moment who has been part of our team in the last few years (from 19/20 onwards) that has gone on to better things is Maatsen and possibly Millar, although I haven’t been following his career.  The facts are undeniable imo.  If any of the above had been strong enough, we wouldn’t be where we are, even with a couple of ‘better players’ 

TBF you could do the same thing a year/18 months out with our last two promotion winning teams.

No one  would say that Hollands and BWP weren't key players and ended the next season out on loan to lower league teams.

In the summer of 2021 I said all we had to do was replace our 5 worst players with 5 "best" ones and we would go up.  We lost our 5 best players.

The squad, bar the left back and center foward issue, is OK.  It's the 4, 5 or 6 really good players we haven't got.

Dobson wouldn't be a stand out player in that company, Leaburn wouldn't be relied on, you could get by with Clare as back up right back, it wouldn't matter if CBT missed some chances.

Most of our current players, or the ones you mentioned, aren’t worse than the Docherty, Euell, Benson, Marshall, Lapslie, Reeves, Parker etc etc and some of them are better than Wagstaff, Hayes, Purrington etc.
    Yours is probably not an opinion shared by many but I agree. It's the lack of real genuinely quality players that is holding us back much more than strength in depth. Nearly all of them have shown some real quality, that includes Inniss who has absolutely dominated some good strikers, Fraser, Morgan, CBT, Kirk and even Stockley. It's the fact they do it 4/5 times a season, it's simply not enough.

I don't agree we need 13/14 players, we just need the 6/7 that are guaranteed starters every week and we'd comfortably be 10-12 places higher. 
    But we all know there’s no way we’re going to get ‘em. 
  • Club is just Rotten.
    DH - ''We will bring players in before letting others leave''
    DH -  '' We will get our business done early'' 
    DH - One week later '' Confident we will come out of the window stronger''
    Only real rumors flying around are basically sales.
    Look at the business other league one clubs are already doing and it already tells you everything you need to know.
    Club is extra focused on the MAN-U fixture to revert attention away to how Rotten and depleted our club currently is.

I am not saying our fans should not enjoy the day out. They absolutely should it is the least our supporters deserve after the past 5-10 years.

But I honestly can not see us coming out the otherside of this transfer window with more players and more depth then before.

Can already see the deadline day headlines OTOS ''how everyone tried their best but Pat the secretary from West Ham did not get the paperwork across in time bla bla''

Do not feel like the club will prove me wrong either. The fact that this is now the normal mentality I have when it comes to our football club says it all.

Depressing.

You might turn out to be right but it’s still very early in the window and we’re not near the top with first pick of the better players.

I wouldn’t link what we’ll bring in to the number of rumours of incoming players either.

I’ll be more concerned the further we get into the window without bringing anyone in. It’ll get busier, there’s not that many deals being done at this stage.
  • Sponsored links:

• Pompey now made their first perm signing. 
  • I don’t know about you guys but I’m buzzing to see Bonne revealed at half time, hoping he gets given a cannon to fire signed castor sportswear into the covered end. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:

JFC - Stevenage 
    Gilbey - Stevenage 
    Elliott Lee - Wrexham
    Gunter - AFC Wimbledon 
    Pratley - Leyton Orient 
    Pearce - retired 

I'm of the opinion now that we don't have enough of the steady Eddies in the squad. The sort of player that'll give you a consistent selection and 6-8 performance. Look at our best 11 and bench, place fitness or consistency next to the name of what they have/ do suffer from. Only one player gives us the above, no fitness issues and s consistent level of performance - Dobson. The player 90% of us will agree is out best and most important, coincidence that he's an ever present and performer? 

Wollacott - ? Looked to be consistent, injury 
    Egbo - fitness
    Inniss - fitness and consistency 
    O'Connell - ? Looked good at times shakey 
    Sess - fitness
    Dobson 
    Fraser - consistency 
    Mcgrandles/ Morgan - fitness / consistency 
    CBT/ kirk - fitness and consistency / consistency 
    JRS - consistency 
    Leaburn ? Looks to be consistent

AMB - ?
    Clare - consistency
    Lavelle  - fitness and consistency
    Payne - consistency
    DJ - fitness and consistency
    Stockley - consistency
    Aneke - fitness and consistency 

Our attacking/ match winners are all a coin flip for which one will  turn up.

Chuck in a consistent if not spectacular b2b next to Dobson and a more reliable wide player to keep us ticking over and it's less an issue while the others decide whether it's an A game day or not. 

• Sorry, my model does not compute for the Bonne to Charlton rumour. My algorithm must be off, it's showing the wrong result!

• Problem is we're looking to sign a striker who knows where the back of the net is and is in form. Bonne, whatever he did at 'his best' for us, is not in form. In fact his lack of form is longer than Stockley's. 

I agree with those who question why we constantly obsess about signing back former players. I disagree with those who think we shouldn't be signing from League two, as the alternatives tend to be either unwanted (for good reason), loans, untried, or expensive. Assuming we can't do expensive, I don’t want either of the first two categories, unless we can find another yann, of course. As for 'untried', that's as much of a gamble as league two. 
  • The OTT criticism of Bonne is really tedious. 
    He’s now on a free so would be on our radar
  • Kips said:
    Like we’ve got the cheek to want a price for him 
    The fee Gills paid Crockenhill for Tony Cascarino all those years ago will do nicely..
    11 tracksuit tops!!

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Tony%27s+first+move+cost+just+11+tracksuit+tops!%3B+Since+then...-a061134691

We would be lucky to get 11 pairs of boot laces for Stockley.