Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• Do our scouts have a database of 4 players? 

Honestly, if we got back Bonne it’ll annoy me. Not because he’s shit (he is) but because we keep signing the same fkin players. Leko next anyone?
    Exactly. Says everything about where we are. Stale and uninspiring. And just not very good. 

If this new takeover lot are the aspirational, well-backed lot some believe, then young, exciting, best of League One is what you’d expect.

But they’re obviously not = bring back gobshite head on a stick MB. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Our scouts working wonders again. 

Are they allowed to go out and watch other teams play? Or are they stuck watching archive footage from our own games?
    Funny that Gallen and Martin, who according to Thomas are always out scouting, are at every single one of our games...
    This is such a great shout, never put 2+2 together. Gallen has used up his credits, can go with Martin and TS.
  • Would be very very surprised if there's anything in the Macaulay Langstaff link. Would be a seven figure fee at least for him and there's probably championship interest too. Someone we would have seen play against us last season for Gateshead however. 
  • Is it my imagination or did we blame the Bonne deal on deadline day falling through  on QPR despite the fact they are no willing to let him go for nowt, tells me the deal was never on 
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Is it my imagination or did we blame the Bonne deal on deadline day falling through  on QPR despite the fact they are no willing to let him go for nowt, tells me the deal was never on 
    I’ve heard QPR wanted the loan deal we had agreed changed at the last minute into a permanent deal. They wanted shot then and nothings changed. 
  • If you decide to shop in Poundland you are limited to what you can get.

Bonne, although not ideal, is definitely an improvement on both Chuks and Stockley

Let us be honest anyone who can walk unaided is an improvement on Chuks, and Stockley with 1 goal from open play is hardly setting the world alight.

To be honest mate, I have one leg and need lots of walking aids and I still fancy myself to do better that Stockley or Chuks this season. 🤣
    Are you left footed?
    Outstandingly so!! 🦵 
  • arny23394 said:
    He’s not very good, but he’s better than stockley. At least he can move. 
    Alexa, show me the definition of a low bar.
  • arny23394 said:
    He’s not very good, but he’s better than stockley. At least he can move. 
    Alexa, show me the definition of a low bar.
    Did you say shooting below par?

I am afraid there are multiple answers to that question, but may I introduce you to:

• Please not Bonne again!! We have to do better than that!! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Are they allowed to go out and watch other teams play? Or are they stuck watching archive footage from our own games?
    Funny that Gallen and Martin, who according to Thomas are always out scouting, are at every single one of our games...
    This is such a great shout, never put 2+2 together. Gallen has used up his credits, can go with Martin and TS.
    Based in a rumour from Twitter you want to ditch Gallen?  Okey dokey 
    What’s the rumour? I’m basing it on his track record which is clear and the fact he is pictured at the valley every single Charlton game. 
  • To be honest, if we signed Bonne, a player who scored 11 goals for us in the Championship and 12 for Ipswich in L1, for £200,00, sold him for up to £2m and then got him back on a free that's pretty incredible business.
    People seemed pretty happy with the idea of Nombe who scored 0 in 6 games the Championship and has 11 in 25 in L1 at the moment. Bonne scored 11 L1 goals in 15 games before tailing off last season and 5 in his first 8 Championship games for us (plus 3 after lockdown as he more or less single-handedly tried to score the goals to keep us up). He starts well and then tends to fall away but he's definitely scored goals which our miserable stack of nothings struggle with (Stockley 2 in 23, Chuks 1 in 9) so he'd be an improvement on what we have now. I've never really understood the animosity towards him to be honest, he got so much grief in the Championship but he scored, turned up and if we'd not been the victims of some ridiculous late Barnsley goals and Blackburn own goals we would have had him to thank more than most of the others in that team.
    I would like us to sign two strikers though, sadly moving Stockley out somewhere else to rebuild himself. Leaburn, Bonne and another plus the ghost of Chuks would be pretty handy.
    All fair points. The thing that bugs me about it, and I realise nothing official has been announced, is that too many of our signings are like getting the band back together, but the trouble is the band wasn’t very good to begin with. Even a lot of summer signings were just Garner’s ex Swindon players. What exactly is this black box of Martin Sandgaard’s? Is it actually an office with no windows or electricity or internet access and he just has to sit in it and try to remember the names of players?

Bonne isn’t the worst player in the world, and it’s definitely got a bit exaggerated how poor he was when here before, but it’s just not gong to get folks excited. 
  • There’s a few people claiming a left back and striker are close. Don’t necessarily need names but can one of you at least confirm/deny that Bonne is on his way back please? 
  • Bonne and Leaburn could work as a partnership (at least to keep us up) but if we're signing him as a lone striker option I'd be worried.
  • He's a better option than both Stockley and Aneke, and wouldn't be the most exciting signing but I'd take Bonne back. He definitely improves us.
    Like most strikers at this level, he's only as good as the service he gets. Give him enough chances in the box, then by the law of averages he'll convert his 1-in-3.

What Bonne seems to lack is the link up play and awareness in the build up outside the box.

I don't see him as an effective lone forward either.

• Plymouth have made 3 permanent signings already. 
  • edited January 2023
    Lots of people saying that Bonne is a better option than what we have now, that really doesn't take much. He'll probably want a signing on fee, plus wages, money that we can spend elsewhere. If there ever was a good player in there, it's been a while since it was last seen. He was invisible against us and against our youth. 
  • @CAFCDAZ

Bonne and the Rotherham wing back?

They would strengthen us yes, I'd agree there. I don't think if they're our first signings that the club's new prospective owners are awash with cash though. 
  • Sponsored links:

• supaclive said:
    @CAFCDAZ

Bonne and the Rotherham wing back?

They would strengthen us yes, I'd agree there. I don't think if they're our first signings that the club's new prospective owners are awash with cash though. 
    They hasn't said yet, I've asked thou. He said a couple in the next few days
  • If we sign Bonne, biggest interest for me will be the length of his Contract.

Think a few are forgetting where we are in the League at the moment, we need signings sharpish to start moving away from the bottom four - As its already been said on here, we can (hopefully) have a proper rebuild in the summer, but ideally dont really want to have to worry about the likes of Bonne, even Ferguson really being on 3-4 year contracts, and unable to shift them later on down the line.

Contract till 2024 would be the max that I'd want to see given to either of them
  • J BLOCK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Gallen was not a few games back he was watching a player 
  • J BLOCK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Gallen was not a few games back he was watching a player 
    The point is, it was said he was always out scouting when actually he is almost always present at Charlton games.
  • To be honest, if we signed Bonne, a player who scored 11 goals for us in the Championship and 12 for Ipswich in L1, for £200,00, sold him for up to £2m and then got him back on a free that's pretty incredible business.
    People seemed pretty happy with the idea of Nombe who scored 0 in 6 games the Championship and has 11 in 25 in L1 at the moment. Bonne scored 11 L1 goals in 15 games before tailing off last season and 5 in his first 8 Championship games for us (plus 3 after lockdown as he more or less single-handedly tried to score the goals to keep us up). He starts well and then tends to fall away but he's definitely scored goals which our miserable stack of nothings struggle with (Stockley 2 in 23, Chuks 1 in 9) so he'd be an improvement on what we have now. I've never really understood the animosity towards him to be honest, he got so much grief in the Championship but he scored, turned up and if we'd not been the victims of some ridiculous late Barnsley goals and Blackburn own goals we would have had him to thank more than most of the others in that team.
    I would like us to sign two strikers though, sadly moving Stockley out somewhere else to rebuild himself. Leaburn, Bonne and another plus the ghost of Chuks would be pretty handy.
    All fair points. The thing that bugs me about it, and I realise nothing official has been announced, is that too many of our signings are like getting the band back together, but the trouble is the band wasn’t very good to begin with. Even a lot of summer signings were just Garner’s ex Swindon players. What exactly is this black box of Martin Sandgaard’s? Is it actually an office with no windows or electricity or internet access and he just has to sit in it and try to remember the names of players?

Bonne isn’t the worst player in the world, and it’s definitely got a bit exaggerated how poor he was when here before, but it’s just not gong to get folks excited. 
    Absolutely. There can't be any teams who have re-signed as many players as we have in recent years. Bonne (if it happens), Cullen, Poyet, Aneke, Matthews, Famewo, Leko, Henderson, Amos, even Arter. Josh Parker was a player Gallen remembered from 10 years before. It feels like our scouting pool is absolutely tiny. Starting to feel like we actually signed a different Matt Smith by accident..
  • Would love Scully but doubt we’ll get him.
    Think Ferguson from Rotherham is more likely and tbh he’d be decent too. 
  • LB and striker are my feeling
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    We had QPR’s pants around their ankles when they took Bonne off our hands. Couldn’t get into their team back then and then had a loan at Ipswich who didn’t want him either. Might improve us slightly from a very low starting point but if Bonne is the total of our ambition we ain’t going anywhere
    Well isn't that the point of this window?

I don't think it's realistic to start "the rebuild" now.  A couple of Bonne and Ferguson type players that are out of contract in the summer anyway on short term deals and a couple of well chosen Premier League likely lads will be enough to keep us comfortably up.  

As unpalatable as it maybe staying in this division is our number one priority and I never thought I would say that.
    I was thinking or rather hoping that anybody we sign will be with a view to next season and hopefully getting a run at getting out of this league. Why waste money on wages for Bonne when you admit it’s only a short term fix. Spend that money to entice a real target we actually want and who can be an asset next season.
    The priority must staying up though.  Probably as cheaply as possible.  I think with 7 days notice your asking a lot of the gang of 4.  Next seasons planning starts in March by which time, hopefully, we will be safe and the ownership is resolved one way or the other.

Of course if a BWP comes up and we get him that's a Brucie Bonus.  Johnson and Eagles type signings is what I expect.  Rather that than start dishing out 3 year contracts because we are desperate.