Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• shirty5 said:
    Chunes said:
    A unique and slightly disappointing window.

But we kept our key players such as Leaburn and Dobson and hopefully improved our 2 weakest areas, getting in Kane & Penney as full backs & Bonne in for Stockley.

Not one player that played on Saturday has left.

I'm not inclined to think that we will be relegated.
    Assuming that disaster doesn't happen, the real point is who will buy the club (if anyone) and will they be able to move us forward?

The "deadwood" has been removed so a buyer with means is now well placed to do a Chrissy Powell/Varney summer window, but will we be well placed or will we be potless?

The rest such as we have NO players left is just noise.

We lost and were completely outclassed on Saturday.
    Exactly.
    Our best eleven are only mid table standard and we need better players, so we need to remove the worst players and bring in promotion standard players.
    The starting point has to be getting rid of the worst players which we are doing.
    The only exception being EOC, but tbh we would have been foolish to decline £350K, if Wrexham really did offer us that very generous amount.
    But what does sending Kirk and DJ out on loan accomplish? Leaving us with three wingers. We haven't got rid of them, they're coming back. We haven't got rid of Lavelle either.
    Perhaps they will impress and get sold in the summer.
    Our season is finished now.
    Our season still has a long way to run after the end of business from Tuesday night now. Fingers crossed from now on 
    Not going down, and not getting into the play-offs.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Just re-watched Andy Scott's interview.  I'd love to see a follow up on his assessment now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feCmv_61288
    Another parasite.
    You're so fucking odd. Not everyone is a parasite. Like Holden and Garner and Gallen and Bowyer and Jackson and Adkins and pretty much everyone Sandgaard has appointed, they've been lied to.
    Did I say multiple people were?  How am I odd?

• Anyone else spot a link that Stockley , Kirk and Lavelle all left out the squad together as well as all gone out on loan on the final day - Do you think that maybe they had an agenda together and working against Holden - so if you like hes removed the bad eggs in one go for a better team spirit in the dressing room. 
  • Anyone else spot a link that Stockley , Kirk and Lavelle all left out the squad together as well as all gone out on loan on the final day - Do you think that maybe they had an agenda together and working against Holden - so if you like hes removed the bad eggs in one go for a better team spirit in the dressing room. 
    NO 
  • jondon76 said:
    Find it strange Holden hasn't said anything. 
    He’s commented on all the main ins and outs on the OS.

He isn’t going to get involved in takeover discussions. He knew the score on that when he joined….that his short term role is to keep things ticking over until something happens (whenever that may be!)
    I can’t find that on the OS?
    Have you looked?
    Yes.
  • edited February 2023
    msomerton said:

But we kept our key players such as Leaburn and Dobson and hopefully improved our 2 weakest areas, getting in Kane & Penney as full backs & Bonne in for Stockley.

Assuming that disaster doesn't happen, the real point is who will buy the club (if anyone) and will they be able to move us forward?

The "deadwood" has been removed so a buyer with means is now well placed to do a Chrissy Powell/Varney summer window, but will we be well placed or will we be potless?

Exactly.
    Our best eleven are only mid table standard and we need better players, so we need to remove the worst players and bring in promotion standard players.
    The starting point has to be getting rid of the worst players which we are doing.
    The only exception being EOC, but tbh we would have been foolish to decline £350K, if Wrexham really did offer us that very generous amount.
    So they get rid of the so called deadwood and leve us with a threadbare squad that will be lucky to 4 or 5 players on the subs bench and if injuries occur would not be able to field a best 11.
    All ! so they can  rebuild in the summer ,but ignoring the increased risk of relegation due to
    A threadbare squad because of the lack of new better players comming in now .
    I may have miscounted but at a rough count up we have 28 players still that have featured in the first team or have just signed.

Personally I wouldn't describe 28 players as threadbare and I have confidence that we won't only have 4/5 players on the bench, but am happy to concede you may believe 28 first teamers is a threadbare squad.

I fully accept that we would all like better.

Thanks to @Covered End for your accurate and concise posts which are exactly the way I see the situation. 

For example 28 players:
    -----------AMB----------
    Sess-Innis-Ness-Penney
    Kilkenney--Dobson--Fraser
    Rak Sakyi--Leaburn-CBT

Pick 7 from 
    Woolacott-Clare-Hector-Deji-Morgan-Bonne-Campbell-Kanu-Payne-Thomas-Mitchell-Chin-Kane-Harkness-Clayden-Aneke-Henry

Not sure if Egbo back this season.
    That’s serious jumping to conclusions. I think it’s one thing to question players ability but to me it’s unfair to suggest that they had an agenda and we’re working against Holden, on what appears to be no evidence. 
  • msomerton said:

Exactly.
    So they get rid of the so called deadwood and leve us with a threadbare squad that will be lucky to 4 or 5 players on the subs bench and if injuries occur would not be able to field a best 11.
    All ! so they can  rebuild in the summer ,but ignoring the increased risk of relegation due to
    I may have miscounted but at a rough count up we have 28 players still that have featured in the first team or have just signed.

Personally I wouldn't describe 28 players as threadbare and I have confidence that we won't only have 4/5 players on the bench, but am happy to concede you may believe 28 first teamers is a threadbare squad.

Thanks to @Covered End for your accurate and concise posts which are exactly the way I see the situation. 

For example 28 players:
    -----------AMB----------
    Sess-Innis-Ness-Penney
    Rak Sakyi--Leaburn-CBT

Pick 7 from 
    Woolacott-Clare-Hector-Deji-Morgan-Bonne-Campbell-Kanu-Payne-Thomas-Mitchell-Chin-Kane-Egbo-Harkness-Clayden-Aneke
    Point taken but I've bolded the ones with fitness/injury issues. Yes it's unlikely that they'll all be out at once but even 2 or 3 and it's less than rosy.

We may not be threadbare right now but we're needing our atrocious fitness record to basically reverse itself or risk becoming so.
  • Sponsored links:

No, no plotting against Holden.

Firstly they were all so far away from the first team, not even getting named on the bench far away.

I do think though that there has been a serious issue "at the training ground" for a long time.  Which is strange given 5 different managers and about a 100 different players.  I do think we brought in a couple of senior pros to help address that.

The only one of the exits that could, potentially, be personal is EOC as he had worked with Holden before.  That's pure 2+2 and not even an allegation.
    I think the link was just the fact they weren't very good. 
    Or the plan all along was to sell/loan them and reduce costs.
  • edited February 2023
    shirty5 said:
    Chunes said:

Exactly.
    But what does sending Kirk and DJ out on loan accomplish? Leaving us with three wingers. We haven't got rid of them, they're coming back. We haven't got rid of Lavelle either.
    Perhaps they will impress and get sold in the summer.
    Our season is finished now.
    Our season still has a long way to run after the end of business from Tuesday night now. Fingers crossed from now on 
    Not going down, and not getting into the play-offs.

What's happens between now and September 1st on and off the field will make or break this football club. Especially off the field, where we desperately need to improve the infrastructure and an ethos where everyone's pulling in the same direction.
    Thomas Sandgaard's ego has been dented plus his money and he needs an exit strategy. Unfortunately Roland Duchatelet's ownership of the ground and Sparrow lane will always complicate matters.

We still need positive results on the pitch or we die from apathy and negativity.

• msomerton said:

Exactly.

For example 28 players:
    -----------AMB----------
    Sess-Innis-Ness-Penney
    Rak Sakyi--Leaburn-CBT

Pick 7 from 
    Woolacott-Clare-Hector-Deji-Morgan-Bonne-Campbell-Kanu-Payne-Thomas-Mitchell-Chin-Kane-Egbo-Harkness-Clayden-Aneke
    Aaron Henry?
  • edited February 2023
    seth plum said:
    msomerton said:

Exactly.

For example 28 players:
    -----------AMB----------
    Sess-Innis-Ness-Penney
    Rak Sakyi--Leaburn-CBT

Pick 7 from 
    Aaron Henry?

Cheers Seth, I knew I would forget someone 🤦🏻‍♂️ I will edit.
  • The squad isn't threadbare in terms of numbers, but it is certainly threadbare in terms of quality and experience!! 
    Not much difference for me between having too few in the squad who are good enough to compete at the the top end of the league or having enough bodies, but who overall aren't good enough to put a decent run of results together............ both end in underperformance and disappointment over the course of a season.
  • Charlton are to forest green rovers what swindon are to charlton 
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Exactly.
    Stating the obvious, it saves on some of the wages of players that were unlikely to play this season and if they do well we may have more chance of moving them on in the summer.
    So the new owners are prioritising saving on wages even if it possibly leaves us short. That sounds promising. I think we are perhaps seeing what we want to see and ignoring the obvious here?
    Whether it's TS or new owners saving on wages for the next 5 months i can see the logic that it doesn't matter too much if we finish 12th or 17th.
    I'd rather we did what we did than sell Leaburn.
    What's do you think is more likely:

Scenario A: They sat down and said "It doesn't matter if we finish 12th or 17th so let's ship a bundle of players out for a % of their wage to save few quid." 

Or Scenario B: They don't have any money and need to cut the wage bill. 
    If money was the only criteria, surely we would have flogged Leaburn for say £1.5m?
    Well they're not stupid. If they sold Leaburn and EOC then they'd be greeted with absolute disdain. Even slimy Matt Southall didn't cash in by selling Joe Gomez's clause back to Liverpool  when he could have. 
    I’m certain he had that in the pipeline though.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2023
    msomerton said:

Exactly.

For example 28 players:
    -----------AMB----------
    Sess-Innis-Ness-Penney
    Rak Sakyi--Leaburn-CBT

Pick 7 from 
    Woolacott-Clare-Hector-Deji-Morgan-Bonne-Campbell-Kanu-Payne-Thomas-Mitchell-Chin-Kane-Harkness-Clayden-Aneke-Henry

Not sure if Egbo back this season.
    Egbo apparently posted on Instagram that he’ll be back, but nothing from the club on that. 
    If he does make it back I’d go with the following (although Hector could potentially replace Inniss if he gets close to full fitness):
    -----------AMB----------
    Egbo-Innis-Ness-Sess
    Rak Sakyi--Leaburn--CBT
    That’s a decent side on paper at least, with Bonne and Campbell coming on for Leaburn and CBT. 
    Could easily be switched to 442 or 352 as well.
  • Most of our signings seem to under perform relative to their performances at their previous clubs - seems very rare they exceed expectations.

All very strange...

The best example I can think of a player improving after leaving Cafc was Simon Francis who went on to captain Bournemouth in the Premier. Eddie Howe knew initially to use him as a wing back and not facing his own posts too much ! How Howe turned him into a CB was superb coaching.
    LOL….…I saw what you did there….”How Howe”….😀
  • edited February 2023
    Most of our signings seem to under perform relative to their performances at their previous clubs - seems very rare they exceed expectations.

All very strange...

The best example I can think of a player improving after leaving Cafc was Simon Francis who went on to captain Bournemouth in the Premier. Eddie Howe knew initially to use him as a wing back and not facing his own posts too much ! How Howe turned him into a CB was superb coaching.
    LOL….…I saw what you did there….”How Howe”….😀

I can't help myself 😀
    Thanks for being there SoundAsa£

My best ever and quickest comment on CL was concerning a Welsh game several years ago when Gareth Bale was running riot and Wales were 3 up in a Euro qualifying match.
    86 minutes gone, standing ovation for Gareth Bale as he goes off and while shaking the hand of the Welsh Sub, Simon Church. 

"Like for Like Sub" 

Now back to the January Transfers.

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Anyone else spot a link that Stockley , Kirk and Lavelle all left out the squad together as well as all gone out on loan on the final day - Do you think that maybe they had an agenda together and working against Holden - so if you like hes removed the bad eggs in one go for a better team spirit in the dressing room. 

Firstly they were all so far away from the first team, not even getting named on the bench far away.

I do think though that there has been a serious issue "at the training ground" for a long time.  Which is strange given 5 different managers and about a 100 different players.  I do think we brought in a couple of senior pros to help address that.

The only one of the exits that could, potentially, be personal is EOC as he had worked with Holden before.  That's pure 2+2 and not even an allegation.
    Did he work with Holden before?
    I looked at Wiki and it appeared that at Walsall one left a few months before the other joined? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Anyone else spot a link that Stockley , Kirk and Lavelle all left out the squad together as well as all gone out on loan on the final day - Do you think that maybe they had an agenda together and working against Holden - so if you like hes removed the bad eggs in one go for a better team spirit in the dressing room. 

Did he work with Holden before?
    I looked at Wiki and it appeared that at Walsall one left a few months before the other joined? 
    Your probably right, I saw somewhere that they had worked together but didn't bother checking. Maybe Walsall is in the same time pardox as Reading 😉
  • edited February 2023
    The squad as a whole may not be threadbare but CB position looks like it is to me. Not necessarily in numbers but in terms of reliability/quality.

Of our first choice two one has played something like 9 games and made a couple of bad errors in his last game he was lucky not to be punished for.  He is a real prospect but should be getting rotated a bit at his stage.  The other will either get injured or sent off twice before the end of the season based on his stats with us to date.

Of the two experienced back ups; one has barely played in 2.5 seasons so is a massive punt that has Ledley, Arter, Rhys Williams vibes.  

The other was a similar major punt in the summer whom has spent much of the season injured and when he last played v Oxford was hooked at half time such was the inept performance he made.

elerwere should be out on loan, possibly Mitchell too.  Baker is already and I suspect Bakrin will be released in the summer.

Some people count Clare, I don’t as he is not a CB and gets caught out too often.

we should be fine this season given the gap to bottom 4 but an injury to Innis (likely) and a loss of form for Ness (possible) would leave us very weak in an absolutely fundamental part of the team - we already concede way too many although of course that was as much about the Garnerball bollox

Agree, with all of that. 
    We've taken a small risk that we could get relegated in exchange for an alleged £350K fee & the opportunity to give the younger players a possible opportunity ie Ness & Mitchell.

If we're safe with a few games left I'm possibly not averse to letting the like of Mitchell having a few more games. 
    Better to give them more opportunities to assess them then, than at the start of a new season. 
  • edited February 2023
    ButtleJR said:

More like he just told us to sod off, and we found a duff excuse as usual to try and save face... ;)