Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

•  Trying  to keep a glass half full view, everyone who left ( with the exception of OConnell ) were pretty useless week in week out . Look back and check out the player marks . It should cheer you up. Hopefully the replacements will step up.
    I don't think many people are disputing that. The problem is the number of replacements is not to a required level.
  • edited February 2023
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    A unique and slightly disappointing window.

But we kept our key players such as Leaburn and Dobson and hopefully improved our 2 weakest areas, getting in Kane & Penney as full backs & Bonne in for Stockley.

Not one player that played on Saturday has left.

I'm not inclined to think that we will be relegated.
    Assuming that disaster doesn't happen, the real point is who will buy the club (if anyone) and will they be able to move us forward?

The "deadwood" has been removed so a buyer with means is now well placed to do a Chrissy Powell/Varney summer window, but will we be well placed or will we be potless?

The rest such as we have NO players left is just noise.

We lost and were completely outclassed on Saturday.
    Exactly.
    Our best eleven are only mid table standard and we need better players, so we need to remove the worst players and bring in promotion standard players.
    The starting point has to be getting rid of the worst players which we are doing.
    The only exception being EOC, but tbh we would have been foolish to decline £350K, if Wrexham really did offer us that very generous amount.
    But what does sending Kirk and DJ out on loan accomplish? Leaving us with three wingers. We haven't got rid of them, they're coming back. We haven't got rid of Lavelle either.
    Stating the obvious, it saves on some of the wages of players that were unlikely to play this season and if they do well we may have more chance of moving them on in the summer.
    So the new owners are prioritising saving on wages even if it possibly leaves us short. That sounds promising. I think we are perhaps seeing what we want to see and ignoring the obvious here?
    Whether it's TS or new owners saving on wages for the next 5 months i can see the logic that it doesn't matter too much if we finish 12th or 17th.
    I'd rather we did what we did than sell Leaburn.
    What's do you think is more likely:

Scenario A: They sat down and said "It doesn't matter if we finish 12th or 17th so let's ship a bundle of players out for a % of their wage to save few quid." 

Or Scenario B: They don't have any money and need to cut the wage bill. 
    Scenario A - at a total guess, didn't save a few quid but let's say £500K-£1M including transfer fees, which is a lot of money to TS who is clearly trying to reduce a £6M pa loss.

Scenario B - there aren't new owners yet and may not be for a while, so it's possibly not their call entirely.
    But if I were TS or new owners I would understand the need to improve the squad dramatically in the summer and that will require a substantial amount of players moving on and being replaced by better.

The better players will cost money, so why waste perhaps £500K, to try harder to finish let's say 8th instead of let's say 14th?

He/they would lose let's say £500K and would have achieved nothing, other than we would need to get rid of more players in the summer than we do now, making the process more difficult.

I'm not saying I'm happy with what's going on, who would be, but we are where we are and we need to make sensible financial decisions.

We could have kept them all and sold Leaburn, but I think the sensible decision was to keep your assets and get rid of your "liabilities".

I'd much rather watch Leaburn, Dobson and Fraser rather than Kirk, DJ, Lavelle, McGrandles, McGillivray and Stockley.
    So at the very least I think we can agree on the type of owners they are.

They're the type of owners who, in the first weeks of having any semblance of 'control' over the club, have concerned themselves with saving money over potentially leaving us short in case of an injury crisis. 
  • Even with TS selling up, who knows what pile of thieving bandits will take over?

Our club is in danger, real danger unless a good buyer suddenly pops up.

It’s happened at Wrexham, so why not ?
  • Surely we’re due some good luck with a buyer by now 
  • jondon76 said:
    Find it strange Holden hasn't said anything. 
    Is he still here?
  • edited February 2023
    jondon76 said:
    He’s commented on all the main ins and outs on the OS.

He isn’t going to get involved in takeover discussions. He knew the score on that when he joined….that his short term role is to keep things ticking over until something happens (whenever that may be!)
  • Wonder what sort of message yesterday's cost cutting exercise sends to the rest of the first team squad they must be feeling pissed to find out they are the lower paid and the only ones we can keep
  • Sponsored links:

• Wonder what sort of message yesterday's cost cutting exercise sends to the rest of the first team squad they must be feeling pissed to find out they are the lower paid and the only ones we can keep
    Couldn’t be further from the truth. We’ve kept our whole first 11.
  • The silence from the club is deafening. No doubt the people who organised the transfer ins and Outs are too busy clearing their desks and submitting invoices to give an interview.

No doubt Sandergaard will emerge from his bunker and tell us all moving the senior appointments on quickly is all part of his master plan.
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

But we kept our key players such as Leaburn and Dobson and hopefully improved our 2 weakest areas, getting in Kane & Penney as full backs & Bonne in for Stockley.

Assuming that disaster doesn't happen, the real point is who will buy the club (if anyone) and will they be able to move us forward?

The "deadwood" has been removed so a buyer with means is now well placed to do a Chrissy Powell/Varney summer window, but will we be well placed or will we be potless?

Exactly.
    Our best eleven are only mid table standard and we need better players, so we need to remove the worst players and bring in promotion standard players.
    The starting point has to be getting rid of the worst players which we are doing.
    The only exception being EOC, but tbh we would have been foolish to decline £350K, if Wrexham really did offer us that very generous amount.
    But what does sending Kirk and DJ out on loan accomplish? Leaving us with three wingers. We haven't got rid of them, they're coming back. We haven't got rid of Lavelle either.
    Stating the obvious, it saves on some of the wages of players that were unlikely to play this season and if they do well we may have more chance of moving them on in the summer.
    So the new owners are prioritising saving on wages even if it possibly leaves us short. That sounds promising. I think we are perhaps seeing what we want to see and ignoring the obvious here?
    Whether it's TS or new owners saving on wages for the next 5 months i can see the logic that it doesn't matter too much if we finish 12th or 17th.

Scenario A: They sat down and said "It doesn't matter if we finish 12th or 17th so let's ship a bundle of players out for a % of their wage to save few quid." 

If money was the only criteria, surely we would have flogged Leaburn for say £1.5m?
    I’ve seen this a lot in the last 24hrs and it seen as a massive intentional positive. 

But it’s not as easy to sell a young player as you’d think. There has to be a both a willing buyer and a willingness from the young player to want to go there, that it be the right move at the right time to them. A player with strong guardians around him will have a big influence of that. 

Chelsea 2023 are a different model approach to Chelsea 2022. I just trawled through the whole of the January transfers list and there has not been one single transfer this window of a rookie EFL player being taken up by a Premiership club (which given the financing pressures across the leagues, staggers me). 
  • Leuth said:
    Wonder what sort of message yesterday's cost cutting exercise sends to the rest of the first team squad they must be feeling pissed to find out they are the lower paid and the only ones we can keep
    They're the better players. Except for EOC who we got a decent fee for by the sound of it, those who left, left not just because of their wages but because they'd not been pickable
    And I can't imagine the likes of Leaburn and Dobson are jealous of former teammates now playing for Cambridge, Burton or AFC Wimbledon.
  • jondon76 said:

He isn’t going to get involved in takeover discussions. He knew the score on that when he joined….that his short term role is to keep things ticking over until something happens (whenever that may be!)
    I can’t find that on the OS?
  • jondon76 said:

I can’t find that on the OS?
    Have you looked?
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Exactly.

If money was the only criteria, surely we would have flogged Leaburn for say £1.5m?
    I’ve seen this a lot in the last 24hrs and it seen as a massive intentional positive. 

But it’s not as easy to sell a young player as you’d think. There has to be a both a willing buyer and a willingness from the young player to want to go there, that it be the right move at the right time to them. A player with strong guardians around him will have a big influence of that. 

Chelsea 2023 are a different model approach to Chelsea 2022. I just trawled through the whole of the January transfers list and there has not been one single transfer this window of a rookie EFL player being taken up by a Premiership club (which given the financing pressures across the leagues, staggers me). 
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Exactly.

Indeed. And as well as having level headed parents in Carl and Tracey, I wonder if Mason Burstow’s experiences playing u23 football have dissuaded Miles from leaping too soon, albeit Mason is probably driving around in a decent new whip!
  • BigDiddy said:
    Even with TS selling up, who knows what pile of thieving bandits will take over?

Our club is in danger, real danger unless a good buyer suddenly pops up.

It’s happened at Wrexham, so why not ?
    Until Reynolds get board 

when does financial fair play kick in? Can they pay £8k wages in league 2?
  • Chunes said:

Exactly.
    Perhaps they will impress and get sold in the summer.
    Our season is finished now.
  • Sponsored links:

• No doubt it’ll be Holden who will have to face the media today, cowards! 
  • I can't wait for our summer recruitment  to start.

Statement from the club.

Having Kirk, Lavelle  and  Gilbey return to sparrows lane feels like three new signings. 
    Onwards and upwards. 
    Gilbey will be out of contract at least. 
  • Chunes said:

Exactly.
    Our season still has a long way to run after the end of business from Tuesday night now. Fingers crossed from now on 
  • Most of our signings seem to under perform relative to their performances at their previous clubs - seems very rare they exceed expectations.

All very strange...
  • edited February 2023
    Chunes said:

Exactly.
    Exactly this. It puts them in the shop window. A player is worth more a/ more likely to be snapped up (by any club not just who they are on loan with) if they are fit and playing vs not.

If the hope is to recoup some of our outlay on  Kirk & DJ then it makes sense to have them playing.