Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• seth plum said:
    Do we have any else in the u-21's close to a breakthrough 
    I think the transfer activity will mean more first team sightings of Kanu during the rest of the season.
    We have seen Chinn and Mitchell and Henry have a look in, as well as others like Elewere and Barker and Bakrin and Harness have been seen.
    There are others such as Adigun, Kedwell, Lapado and Asimwe who are developing well, and Patrick Casey might even get a look in before the end of the season.
    There are other decent prospects I haven’t mentioned.
    What is the situation Oguntayo?

He impressed me in pre season against Celtic a couple of years ago and is a versatile left sider. Would he be worth a game if we were safe?
  • Southbank said:
    Do we have any else in the u-21's close to a breakthrough 
    Mitchell, and maybe Kanu
    So nobody that hasn't got minutes already 
  • Every seasoned pro was a young player breaking through once.
    The skill of management is how young players are integrated.
  • Anyone who thinks TS has been our saviour needs their bumps felt. Said it before but RD was the better owner out of the 2. At least he brought in players.....and some were even quality like JBG,Bulot, Watt, Holmes......

Just hope we have enough points with that 3 game winning run for us not to get dragged back into a relegation fight. We have learnt nothing from the summer, still are so lightweight upfront. An injury to Leaburn doesn't bear thinking about. But that's all ok because we shipped out Kirk,DJ & Lavelle who will all be back in the summer.

Gah !
    That’s rubbish, RD was far worse, treated the fans with contempt and is still punishing us by holding out for £50m for the Valley to ensure we only ever get crooks and cranks like TS owning us. I would agree TS has been equally crap at running Charlton as RD. Terrible managerial appointments, terrible player recruitment, spendings millions in fees on such average players.
    I agree. Roland was awful and spiteful. Tommy is just not very good at running a football club
  • edited February 2023
    Appreciate this is not a rumour but just an opinion piece but I’ll tell you how it plays out.

This gets retweeted excessively, the youngsters naively don’t read the article and get this circulated round their WhatsApp groups until it’s an official rumour.  

Cawley gets asked every day for a week if it’s true, he says it’s one he’s not heard about but it’s not to say it’s not true, to which the millennials and gen X also start to naively believe it’s a genuine rumour.  

It gets bounced around on the socials for a few more days and we even see a pound shop forum or the charlton Facebook page come up with a story on how it’s actually happening and will be announced on xx/02/2023.

The announcement date passes, and a few days later, bosh!  He turns up on a league one rivals Twitter holding a shirt, my guess is someone with the calibre of Oxford, Wycombe Shrewsbury or if he’s lucky Barnsley, Plymouth or Bolton.

He scores on his debut and every one of the remaining 6k home crowd (officially 9k) stand on the concourse at half time telling their mates how we should’ve shed out the wages to get him, but the reality is, we were never in for him at any given point.

The End.

Good grief I’m depressed.

• Appreciate this is not a rumour but just an opinion piece but I’ll tell you how it plays out.

This gets retweeted excessively, the youngsters naively don’t read the article and get this circulated round their WhatsApp groups until it’s an official rumour.  

Cawley gets asked every day for a week if it’s true, he says it’s one he’s not heard about but it’s not to say it’s not true, to which the millennials and gen X also start to naively believe it’s a genuine rumour.  

It gets bounced around on the socials for a few more days and we even see a pound shop forum or the charlton Facebook page come up with a story on how it’s actually happening and will be announced on xx/02/2023.

The announcement date passes, and a few days later, bosh!  He turns up on a league one rivals Twitter holding a shirt, my guess is someone with the calibre of Oxford, Wycombe Shrewsbury or if he’s lucky Barnsley, Plymouth or Bolton.

He scores on his debut and every one of the remaining 6k home crowd (officially 9k) stand on the concourse at half time telling their mates how we should’ve shed out the wages to get him, but the reality is, we were never in for him at any given point.

The End.

https://twitter.com/carolvorders/status/1620741030818775041?s=12

Carol was never like that on Countdown 
  • shirty5 said:
    Appreciate this is not a rumour but just an opinion piece but I’ll tell you how it plays out.

The End.

https://twitter.com/carolvorders/status/1620741030818775041?s=12

Carol was never like that on Countdown 
    FFS 

Link removed, I don’t even follow Caza not sure how that happened!
  • Sponsored links:

• Jon Russell joined Barnsley.
  • rumour we are interested in Chris Martin .....
    Holden signed him for Bristol City I think.
  • rumour we are interested in Chris Martin .....
    Great.  Instead of investing in the squad, our owner wants someone to sing a song as he plays the guitar!!!!
  • Deadline day is always interesting as it really doesn't take much to go from optimism and surprise to devastation. I'd say yesterday we had one outgoing that was uncomfortable and missed out on one incoming that we should have completed. Other than that, objectives pretty much met for the window, definitely in terms of positions, remains to be seen in terms of the players themselves.
    We needed a full back on each side to cover for injury and a gap and we got both, though Kane's injury complicates things. We needed quality above Morgan in the middle and hopefully Kilkenny is that. We needed a first team striker to compete with Leaburn, Bonne came in. We also clearly needed to have better options at CB and we brought in Hector. We should have brought in another winger after letting two go and should have had back up options to Edwards
    In terms of outgoings, we had three first team keepers and one wasn't very good; we resolved that. We had a highly paid striker who didn't score or contribute; he's gone. We had a winger who has made 7 L1 appearances this season, dropped to 5th choice and has mostly been injured; gone. We had a centre back who was truly the most lost player we've had in years; Burtoned. Two central midfielders with two league starts between them, an under-delivering winger the manager clearly didn't rate, all gone. These were all moves that needed to happen. The curve ball was O'Connell. There was a point yesterday where we had 6 first team centre halves and we got that back down to 4 by the end. It's clear that it would have been Thomas and Lavelle if not for EOC going, but it's uncomfortable that the player we just signed who would have been worth keeping in the squad is the one who went. He wasn't playing under Holden but there's something off about it for sure, and I wonder if it says a lot that Wrexham knew they could come calling at the 11th hour and get what they wanted off Charlton. Beyond that though, Wrexham are weird, they'll get the players they go for.
    Bottom line is now everything depends on a takeover. If we get bought by an ownership that can spend some money then the deck clearing is good. We can see if Hector and Bonne are worthy of longer contracts, we've put the players we don't want in the shop window for the summer, we can rebuild. If there's no takeover or it's a penniless farce then we're screwed, but we're screwed anyway right now, so no massive change there.
    The outs were good, the ins were in the right places so hopefully they're also the right players. It's not that good, it's not all bad. The real time breakdowns some posters had on here in the hours following the deadline though? A+, thank you for your service. A genuine delight to read through
    Basically what I said with a bit more detail. Well said.
  • Richard J said:
    Jon Russell joined Barnsley.
    Not getting taken over by the RSL crew then :wink:
  • If Lavelle goes to Wrexham on a perm for a small fee, Thomas goes out on loan and EOC stays then I would be thinking it was actually a pretty smart and successful window, overall, given objectives for the rest of the season. 

However ...EOC getting sold is such a red flag. 

There is nobody with deep pockets waiting in the wings. (Other than Sandgaard in his clown suit)
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cawley saying Wigan came in for CBT yesterday, sort of poo poos the fire sale somewhat as he is still here.

Is their scouting as bad as ours, wasn't he on trial there before we got him? 
    Maybe that is why the Edwards deal fell through 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cawley saying Wigan came in for CBT yesterday, sort of poo poos the fire sale somewhat as he is still here.

There would be uproar if we had sold him, getting rid EOC isn’t a big deal
  • Sponsored links:

• Is CBT out of contract end of the season or is he a 2024? Can't remember how long the deal was he signed. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Is CBT out of contract end of the season or is he a 2024? Can't remember how long the deal was he signed. 
    Has a year option at the end of this season. Like Maynard-Brewer and Dobson 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    350K we got for EOC.. I think Wrexham have got a great deal.. Player in his prime, should be playing a lot higher. 
    I think we got the better deal.
    I like EOC, but i reckon I'd have sold him as well for £350K.

• Blimey, when ordinarily diplomatic Palace fans are tweeting stuff like this you know we're in schtuk!
  • PWADDICK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

There would be uproar if we had sold him, getting rid EOC isn’t a big deal
    And being left with with a youngster, a injury prone regular who keeps making mistakes and two other CBs, also injury prone and haven’t played regular first team football for years is fine, you’re completely happy with that? Madness!
  • Redhenry said:
    Anyone who thinks TS has been our saviour needs their bumps felt. Said it before but RD was the better owner out of the 2. At least he brought in players.....and some were even quality like JBG,Bulot, Watt, Holmes......

Just hope we have enough points with that 3 game winning run for us not to get dragged back into a relegation fight. We have learnt nothing from the summer, still are so lightweight upfront. An injury to Leaburn doesn't bear thinking about. But that's all ok because we shipped out Kirk,DJ & Lavelle who will all be back in the summer.

Gah !
    I think u are missing the point here. Why keep paying Kirk, DJ & Lavelle when they clearly aren't good enough? I would rather have a youngster in if we have an injury.
    I think you are missing the point.

No problem shifting them out if they are replaced. And by replaced I mean with fit players ready to play. Out of the 3 highlighted above 2 weren't replaced ( at least 1 was needed imo) and the other hasn't played a minute of football this season. 

And we are still just an injury away up front from a repeat of last season. Please remind me how we did in the 6-8 weeks that Stockley & Washington were out. 
    Might he not have played reserve football? Would be a bit crap if he’s done nothing at all. 
  • When you actually weigh up the standard of those players we’ve needed to move on, it makes you ask yourself questions about our scouting and recruitment. Slightly unfair re O’Connell and Stockley but the amount of players we sign that are not good enough even for league One is quite high. 
    True to a point, but Mac, Lavelle, McGrandles, Kirk and Stockley all went to League 1 sides, albeit to teams in the relegation scrap. O'Connell went to a side who pay like a top League 1 side. It's only JFC and DJ who dropped down a level. 
    But with the exception of Stockley (initially) and latterly O’Connell. None of the others were good enough to play for a mid table league one club. There’s no wailing and gnashing of teeth by anyone at their departures. It doesn’t matter where they’re off to right now. We’ve had them and they’re not good enough. Red flags over recruiting and player identification still stands for me.