Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• I will not miss any that have gone. 
    The players we have recruited have all played at a higher level and are out of contract at the end of the season. They will all need to impress to get a contract with their current Club, with us, or with another Club. That should be good for us.
    Several managers have made reference to underlying issues within the squad and a hint that some are not trying as hard as they could. Hopefully we have cleansed that. 
    The balance of the squad looks a lot better and overall I am happy with the window. My only “but” is that we really did need another striker.
  • You have to remember that the Black Box has been switched to the eco cost cutting mode.   

I'm guessing MS has programmed in the following parameters - giving each category his own fine values. 

Was once a good player - Can he recapture past glories?

Hasn't played much lately - We'll get him up to speed during the rest of the season

Not wanted by parent club - What are they thinking?

Injury prone - Yeah, but his luck has gotta change.

Not wanted by anyone else - Their loss

Disciplinary and attitude problems? - We can change that probably / possibly / maybe.

Youngster not deemed ready by parent club - We'll give him a go. 
  • supaclive said:
    AMB - Very good, but injury prone. Could be a top keeper.
    Ness - Inexperienced but lots of potential.
    Egbo - Injured/injury prone, but looked decent when fit.
    Morgan - Very inconsistent/not very good.
    CBT - Very inconsistent/not very good. Only USP is speed. Rest of his game is poor.
    Leaburn - Inexperienced but lots of potential.
    Fraser - Key player
    Dobbo - Key player
    Kanu - Inexperienced

Good enough to try to compete with Bolton
    But we'd still lose... probably - Definitely

We need 10 players as good, but probably better than the above to get promoted next year.

Totally agree @supaclive - need a major rebuild again. AMB, Ness, Fraser, Dobson and Leaburn the only ones I would definitely want to keep for next year.
  • Tyreece Campbell is in my opinion a much better footballer than DJ, but he is still very young and young players can be inconsistent and a lot of variables can come into play.
    Actually I would suggest the Tyreece is on a par with JRS, might end up as better than him as well.
    I think about the progression of Lookman to get some hope about how Tyreece might progress.
    There are other decent youngsters too coming through, which is why I think the very last cut should be to the academy. Can you imaging letting Avory go but retaining Keohane? Unthinkable.
  • J BLOCK said:
    Interview with Scott when he arrived: “I’ve been promised there’s funds to bring players in” 
    He should have got that promise in writing.
  • J BLOCK said:
    Interview with Scott when he arrived: “I’ve been promised there’s funds to bring players in” 
    The rest of the sentence was left out ‘at mighty Wrexham’ 
  • edited February 2023
    No obligatory Steve Gallen end-of-window interview this time?
  • One of the biggest pluses for me is we still have Holden for the rest of this season.

I feel very onfident he has the ability to get the best out of the squad he has been left with. It will be interesting to see how he goes about this and if the owners (whoever they may be) decide to keep with him after his contract ends.

The club desparately needs stability and IMO he is a man with the right leadership qualities to have a great influence on this.
  • edited February 2023
    The Volte-face yesterday evening when it was O'Connell and not Lavelle going to Wrexham was quite something to witness.
    I felt like a padre trying to comfort the bereaved last night.

Dean Holden's honeymoon is over with many Charlton folk as he has owned the dealings yesterday. Brave of him but I think he a genuine guy and hope he can keep this new streamlined 23 man squad in mid table. I agree that's a low bar but this summer really is the now or never moment for Cafc.

Michael Hector is a massive Gamble and will definitely be a total disaster or a cult hero. I know the former is favourite but for once it would be good if a punt on a wild card was top trumps 🤞
  • Sponsored links:

• Redrobo said:
    I will not miss any that have gone. 
    The players we have recruited have all played at a higher level and are out of contract at the end of the season. They will all need to impress to get a contract with their current Club, with us, or with another Club. That should be good for us.
    Several managers have made reference to underlying issues within the squad and a hint that some are not trying as hard as they could. Hopefully we have cleansed that. 
    The balance of the squad looks a lot better and overall I am happy with the window. My only “but” is that we really did need another striker.
    I think happy is a stretch. We're short of a winger and a striker definitely. Striker numbers are ok, but when Aneke is one of the three it's an issue. 
  • edited February 2023
    Does that make EOC the second player that Gallen has turned a profit on in his 4-5 years at the club?  The only other I can think of is Bonne.  Only counting players he has bought in and then moved on (IE not youth or players here before him).
  • Does that make EOC the second player that Gallen has turned a profit on in his 4-5 years at the club?  The only other I can think of is Bonne.
    Craig Mac, however small that will be. Lockyer, Williams and Bogle?
  • Reeks a bit of a desperate short-termism. A fudge.
    We finally filled a couple of important gaps that we should have got right in the summer and we have cut out a few cankers, some of which will regrow in the summer. So far so good.
    Not sure the incomings were brought in with the future in mind, but should keep us bubbling over.
    Whoever is running the show in the summer, yet again a complete overhaul is required.
    If it is still Tommy, expect another clusterfuck and 4000 ST's sold.

• Addick_8 said:
    Absolutely no doubt in my mind that we are under a transfer embargo.
    A self inflicted one 
  • Sponsored links:

• When you actually weigh up the standard of those players we’ve needed to move on, it makes you ask yourself questions about our scouting and recruitment. Slightly unfair re O’Connell and Stockley but the amount of players we sign that are not good enough even for league One is quite high. 
    True to a point, but Mac, Lavelle, McGrandles, Kirk and Stockley all went to League 1 sides, albeit to teams in the relegation scrap. O'Connell went to a side who pay like a top League 1 side. It's only JFC and DJ who dropped down a level. 
    I think people get too hung up about "the level".  Once your not going to play championship or tournament international football (which none of our cast offs are going to do) lots of other things come into it.  Mainly money and location.

Is there any more kudos playing for Morecambe in league 1 than Bradford in league 2? 

I would wager that JFC, Gilbey and EOC will enjoy the second half of the season more than the Burton 3.  For example. 
  • edited February 2023
    So we've only got three wingers now. 

CBT has constant niggles and injury issues. Which means Campbell and Rak-Sakyi having to play every minute of every game if he goes out. 

Or Leaburn could go out on the wing. But then we only have Bonne up front. 

Or we switch to a 3-5-2. But once again, we've only got 2 and a 1/2 strikers. 

Once again stretched thin.
  • Does that make EOC the second player that Gallen has turned a profit on in his 4-5 years at the club?  The only other I can think of is Bonne.

Lockyer left ona free.  Pretty sure same for Bogle.  Williams we may have got a tiny fee for.

So Williams tiny profit
    Mac tiny profit
    Bonne £2m
    EOG £350k
  • edited February 2023
    Chunes said:

CBT has constant niggles and injury issues. Which means Campbell and Rak-Sakyi having to play every minute of every game. 

Unless Leaburn goes out on the wing. But then we only have Bonne up front. And Chuks, but can't count on him.

I'd imagine Payne will feature down the wing, possibly Penney or Sess too. I'm not condoning it, we're a winger short but we do have a few options there. 
  • Anyone who thinks TS has been our saviour needs their bumps felt. Said it before but RD was the better owner out of the 2. At least he brought in players.....and some were even quality like JBG,Bulot, Watt, Holmes......

Just hope we have enough points with that 3 game winning run for us not to get dragged back into a relegation fight. We have learnt nothing from the summer, still are so lightweight upfront. An injury to Leaburn doesn't bear thinking about. But that's all ok because we shipped out Kirk,DJ & Lavelle who will all be back in the summer.

Gah !
    I think u are missing the point here. Why keep paying Kirk, DJ & Lavelle when they clearly aren't good enough? I would rather have a youngster in if we have an injury.
  • One we missed out on, Tony Watt gone to St Mirren on loan
  • edited February 2023
    Chunes said:

CBT has constant niggles and injury issues. Which means Campbell and Rak-Sakyi having to play every minute of every game. 

Unless Leaburn goes out on the wing. But then we only have Bonne up front. And Chuks, but can't count on him.

I'd imagine Payne will feature down the wing, possibly Penney or Sess too. I'm not condoning it, we're a winger short but we do have a few options there. 
    Back to playing people out of position then. I'm sure that'll be a roaring success. 

Lockyer left ona free.  Pretty sure same for Bogle.  Williams we may have got a tiny fee for.

So Williams tiny profit
    Mac tiny profit
    Bonne £2m
    EOG £350k
    Forgot Lockyer was a free. I thought Bogle was undisclosed, likely to be pennies, but could be wrong. 

Accept the recruitment hasn't been good enough but it's not like he's had millions to squander. We'd turn a profit on Dobson, obviously lost Taylor on a free who we could have sold previously for a decent profit. There's been some errors but the majority of his signings have been freebies and loans, asking to turn a profit from that isn't reasonable. 
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Back to playing people out of position then. I'm sure that'll be a roaring success. 
    Agreed, although playing the wingers we did have wasn't particularly successful either. 
  • Not a peep on the official site from the management team obviously embarrassed by yesterdays transfer business.