Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• edited February 2023
    Valley11 said:
    Why do people keep calling it a clear out?
    Most are loans so they’ll be back in the summer. 
    Fingers crossed they do ok and get permanent deals and we don't have to see them again eh..all part of the cunning plan...👍
  • We're not going anywhere and saved ourselves a shed load of wages on utter rubbish players.

Look forward to summer rebuild version whatever we are on.
  • Only thing I’d say to people who wish Inniss had gone as well is that he would definitely have needed replacing with a major physical presence first. In an ideal world a Santos. But seemingly players like that are out of our league, sadly. 
  • edited February 2023
    Valley11 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Valley11 said:
    Because it is a clear out of salaries - massive cost cutting exercise in the end. There's no way the ins outweigh the outs.
    Agreed. I mean; why are some spinning it as a positive that the squad has been culled for a fresh start in the summer?

Kirk, Lavelle, DJ and McGrandles will all be back.

And Gilbey.
    Gilbey out of contract in May. Won't be back.

DJ and Lavelle have another year with us.

Kirk is contracted until 2025.
  • Chunes said:
    Valley11 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Valley11 said:
    Because it is a clear out of salaries - massive cost cutting exercise in the end. There's no way the ins outweigh the outs.
    Agreed. I mean; why are some spinning it as a positive that the squad has been culled for a fresh start in the summer?

And Gilbey.
    He's out of contract in May. 
    *runs around waving pants in the air like a lasso*
  • edited February 2023
    Valley11 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Valley11 said:

And Gilbey.
    According to Scoham’s squad list Gilbey’s contract expires this year, so he’ll be looking for a new club.
  • Bailey said:
    DDOUBLEE said:
    So our winger options are literally CBT, Campbell and Rak-Sakyi, quality  :|Are you missing Kirk already 
    Like they have been most of the season …. How many games as Kirk and DJ played under Holden ? or even on the bench for that matter 

fans wanted a clear out .. for a restart in the summer under new owners that’s what they got yet still moaning 
    So we have new owners do we.
    I must have missed that bit.
    He did state 'in the summer' 
  • Nothing as fans we can do about the fact that we are in a prolonged and uncomfortable ownership situation. Therefore no point in expending anymore angst about it, depressing and worrying though it is in equal measure. Looking purely on the playing side, I’m glad to see the back of every single departure. They were all chuff. EOC was a surprise but I’m not overly bothered. What I am bothered about is the quality of the replacements/temporary additions that are supposed to see us through till the end of the season. Kane looked ok but has been Charltonized already, Hector is a story all to himself, Penney looks dreadful (see what I did there) and just don’t start me on Bonne about whom I have vented enough already. Dunno much about Kilkenny so can’t really comment other than to say if he’s not an upgrade on Albie then there’s something wrong. We have settled for mid table mediocrity and cost savings with half a season to go. We’ve just kicked the can down the road to be dealt with in the summer. We won’t be relegated. We probably have enough points already as there is some real chuff in this league and Burton have just secured one of the four places. Really hard to maintain much enthusiasm till there’s a change at the top. Ho hum. 
  • edited February 2023
    Valley11 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Valley11 said:

With how much time left on their contracts? I know Gilbey’s expires in the summer @LargeAddick , but don’t know about these. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Hopefully theres a nugget of an out of contract striker out there which we don't know about or we could light if/when injuries or suspensions set in..
  • I can’t believe people are trying to put a positive spin on this. It’s a disaster, TS has been a disaster, he’s been on par with Roland when it comes to recruitment. Wasting millions on bang average players and not even giving them a chance because of disastrous management appointments. Some are saying at least the dead wood are off the books but most are only loans, so most likely we’re still paying a good percentage of their wages. Paying their wages to play for other teams while when the inevitable injury crisis happens we’ll be playing the kids. However bad those players were they were better than our first choice players are when they’re sat on a treatment table. He’s stripping the club of the few assets that are left. There is no buyer close, you wouldn’t panic offload half of your squad to slash costs when new owners are just around the corner. The club is in a dangerous limbo, how do you think this will affect the moral of the first team? Most will be onto their agents this morning sounding the alarm bells and that will translate into each players form.
  • edited February 2023
    I guess we can all agree this is all consistent with the only two public pronouncements from the club - TS's strategy to work towards breakeven and Holden's comment about trimming and re-balancing the squad. Whilst we may have trimmed in terms of numbers, I'm not convinced we have enough quality in the centre of defence, midfield or up front but hey-ho.

Assuming we steer clear of relegation, what next? What is the strategy to move this club forward on the football pitch? If there is no new investment in the club and say Holden leaves at the end of the season etc what changes? Do we end up not appointing a new manager until late June or July, leave the summer recruitment too late, bring in poor quality recruits etc etc etc? Absence anything changing, we are on target to simply rinse and repeat.

• DubaiCAFC said:
    350K we got for EOC.. I think Wrexham have got a great deal.. Player in his prime, should be playing a lot higher. 
    Good deal for us as well plugs the budget holes 
  • I don't understand people's expectations from this window maybe 50 years of supporting Charlton means I'm a sceptic at best but usually a cynic but I had zero expectations going into this window whilst TS remained in charge. 

Its been over a decade since we last had a decent window when SCP overhauled the squad and got us out of this awful league and we haven't had a decent window since - yes we have brought in some decent players over the years but also some complete dross and we've had an unbalanced squad coming out of each successive window. 

Until there's a sale and a complete overhaul of the running of the club I'm not expecting much and certainly not the sort of window that will make us promotion contenders.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm not as doom and gloom as some of you. We've trimmed and the squad is perhaps less flexible, but honestly, we've shipped out a whole bunch of inadequates and signed what could, even should be some quality that's too good for this league (conditionally speaking), and that's on the final day alone. Our first choice starting XI is arguably stronger now than it was at any other point of the season - yes, it'd be nice to get Kane or Egbo back, and for Chuks to finally get a run of games in - but while EOC is a loss, a fit Hector would be a serious upgrade. The centre-back situation does look a bit perilous but Inniss/Ness have been doing pretty well under Holden and Thomas is...well, a L1 player in the room. And Elewere is still out there somewhere. I don't see why there's such need for gnashing of teeth, but then again this is Charlton Life and we are a much-abused fanbase so it's natural to automatically assume everything is being done badly and for the wrong reasons.

Anyway, LET'S SEE. As I say, with Kilkenny in there especially I reckon our midfield could be up there with more or less anything in the league. Three eminently winnable games coming up to test the hypothesis. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Valley11 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Valley11 said:

With how much time left on their contracts? I know Gilbey’s expires in the summer @LargeAddick , but don’t know about these. 
    Lavelle and DJ 2024, Kirk and McGrandles 2025.
  • So it looks like we seemingly sold EOC for £350,000 and Stockley for £250,000. That's £600,000 that should be re-invested in the squad but won't be in the current set-up. Quite frustrating knowing it's not going anywhere.
  • I'm not overly disappointed by any of the departures. With the exception of Dobson & leaburn, i don't mind any of this current squad leaving.  People losing their minds over the likes of Lavelle & kirk leaving is laughable IMO.  I think we've done well to offload some absolute dross!!

I don't think we need another striker as we pnly play 1 up front, but I do agree we're probably a centre back & a winger light though
  • What a weird deadline day. Didn't expect Terrell Thomas staying to be a positive at the end, not that he's much good but bare bones if he'd gone as well.
    Surprised we let DJ go, it's now just Campbell as wide back up isn't it? 
  • Departures expected for the most part, overdue in one or two cases and down to absolutely sh*t recruitment decisions in the first place for one or two others.

The incomings bring more balance, we have a left back, at last… That said, it is a gambler’s paradise. If Hector can get and stay fit quickly, could be a gem at this level, Kilkenny should show up as our new Cullen, Penney should prove fine against anybody outside the top 6, Bonne will run a lot and will have a purple patch at some point, just a question when and for how long and Kane is versatile and of good pedigree, just a shame he is out for a few more weeks, but this is Charlton, after all.

The biggest surprise and bonus is that we get to see Leaburn, Dobbo, Ness, JRS and AMB for another half season. TS could have cashed in on one or two of those if this was a wholesale fire sale. Overall B, but the business smacks of consolidation in mid table, no promotion push, nor relegation battle unless we lose 2 or 3 key players to injury, in which case squeaky bum time.
  • AMB
    Ness
    Egbo
    Morgan
    CBT
    Leaburn
    Fraser
    Dobbo
    Kanu

Good enough to try to compete with Bolton
    But we'd still lose... probably

We need 10 players as good, but probably better than the above to get promoted next year.

• major reshuffle of the squad and that was no bad thing, makes selection easier, the only down side is (as ever) if/when injuries happen