Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• Our squad is so threadbare it's untrue. Cost cutting the only priority.

TS is proving a disaster.
  • More rebuilds than DIY SOS 
  • Going to be great to hear what the Club says in reflection about the window - it should be very telling.
    Expect to hear nothing. 

Or Holden pretending he's delighted with players that haven't played regular football in 2 years. 
  • Not disappointed at all to see many of them depart. Only EOC would make my preferred 11 and most won't be remembered with any fondness if at all when we look back on this era in years to come.

However...

We look short of cover in all forward positions now. It only takes one injury or suspension and we have no plan b off the bench.

Central defence backup options are weaker. Thomas arguably jumps up from 5th choice to 3rd in a day and has hardly played. Ditto Hector who appears a bit of a journeyman dining out on a transfer to Chelsea 10 or so years ago. Hopefully I'm proved wrong here.

I also wonder what signal this fire sale sends to the players and what all these outgoings will do for squad morale. 

Fingers crossed for no significant injuries and that we get 5 wins in our remaining 19 matches. Then hope for better times come the summer, otherwise we are a relegation waiting to happen.
  • Not sure if it was mentioned. But Edwards failed a medical 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2023
    I thought the worry was that Dobson, Ness and Leaburn would be sold to offset losses?! They weren’t so, for me, the window wasn’t the disaster some of you are making it out to be. I’m disappointed and surprised that O’Connell left as I thought he did a good job for us so there is possibly a reason behind that. Hector, if fit, feels like a good replacement though. I’ve not wanted Kirk or DJ anywhere near the first team and Lavelle has been a big disappointment so no biggie there for me.

The reality is that we have become an asset stripped mid table league one side and unless the elusive billionaire supporter emerges will always remain so. Free transfers and loanees are the new normal right now. It’s sad, given our recent glorious history, but inevitable. We can see our status as a ‘big club with massive potential’ diminishing before our very eyes. Heartbreaking but seemingly unstoppable.
  • Probably 5/6th time I’ve said this now but this is the worst squad I’ve ever seen.  Whoever the fuck is pulling the strings they’ve given up on any play off hopes that’s for certain, clearly about getting through till May.  

Taking no nonsense about “not getting this one over the line”, it’s about money and nothing else, the will to get a transfer done is the easy part, look at Ipswich and Wrexham, if you really want you can sign players who are happy and settled in higher leagues never mind a few minutes to the deadline.  

I won’t be parting with a pound more than I have to now, I’ve a season ticket and I’ll go when I fancy meeting some faces for a beer but that’s it, doubt you’ll catch me at an away game now it’s depressing the thought of travelling to watch that, and I’m someone who traditionally does at least 7/8 a season.  

The squad is truly terrible but cheap.
  • sam3110 said:
    Where are all the bed wetters now that it turns out Dobson and Leaburn haven't been sold after all...
    Shitting the bed about everything else...
    Said from day one Raki would not be recalled and that Leaburn and Dobson would still be playing for CAFC in February … 

• When was the last time we paid a fee for a player ?
    Fraser this time last year I think 
  • Going to be great to hear what the Club says in reflection about the window - it should be very telling.
    Expect to hear nothing. 

Or Holden pretending he's delighted with players that haven't played regular football in 2 years. 
    Agree. The club now seems to be run by faceless and voiceless men who care nothing about CAFC.
  • Sponsored links:

• Glad we all spend thousands of pounds over the year even more so in this current climate to follow the club home and away for a chairman not to invest in areas that were needed and was devious enough to let 4 players go on transfer deadline day sell a striker and not replace him.
    They would have known at 9pm that the deal for the player from Wigan wasn’t happening 
  • Bailey said:
    DDOUBLEE said:
    So our winger options are literally CBT, Campbell and Rak-Sakyi, quality  :|Are you missing Kirk already 
    Like they have been most of the season …. How many games as Kirk and DJ played under Holden ? or even on the bench for that matter 

fans wanted a clear out .. for a restart in the summer under new owners that’s what they got yet still moaning 
    So we have new owners do we.
    I must have missed that bit.
  • /Oggy Red said:
    Bailey said:
    If you lot lose the plot over Lavelle and Thomas going, you need your bumps read. I get the feeling over O'Connell but those two are shit. 
    But we need a squad. Currently leaves us with Inniss, Ness and a crocked Hector.
    Is Hector crocked?
    Evidently he’s been training with Chef Wendy for quite a while and for the last two or three days with us, reported to be in tip top condition.
    Doesn’t sound like he’s crocked to me…..unless you know otherwise that is?
    Apparently he didn't complete his medical with Sheff Wed, who he had been training with this season

He hasn't played at all this season

That doesn't scream "match fit" to me.  
    But doesn’t mean he’s crocked, you’re just being your usual negative self.🙄🙄🙄
    If Hector plays before the start of March I'll eat my hat.

If he actually makes it through 60 mins before Easter I'll eat 2 hats. 
    Golfie says if Hector plays before March, he'll eat his hat.

Shall we hold him to that? Just need a volunteer to video it. :smile:

His brother makes short movies
  • Couldn't be arsed (rather like Charlton) to read 300+ posts, but sounds like I had the right idea on going to bed at 10.45, we have some real insomniacs here, will have a look at the OS 😉
  • Outgoings
    O'Connell makes no sense.  Would have kept DJ who I seem unusual around here in quite liking.

JFC, McG, Kirk, Lavelle going have zero impact, all dreadful players or knackered.  Stockley and McGrandles will have minor impacts.

Incoming
    Bonne is shit
    Penny looks poor but only one game so far
    Kane is out for most of the season
    Kilkenny I have no clue.
    Hector is not fit

Scott clearly came to massively reduce our budget and lied to our faces when he first arrived.

Holden has lost a lot of credibility today.

Hope TS Leaves in the summer not 80% but 100% and that PV can come riding to our rescue.

We have 8-9 really decent players that a new owner could build a very strong team around but it looks bleak right now.

Out of interest who are the “8-9 strong players “ who a “really strong team” could be built around 
  • edited February 2023
    I assume it will be said today we were pursuing at least one more incoming but it fell away at the end and we will also look at free agents, blah, blah, 😕 

As others have said not losing the ‘names’ we do have does suggest some intent not to asset strip immediately. But, next summer may be different and more at the behest of the players. 

I can’t however agree it’s a clear out for the summer when they are only loans for some of the outgoings unless of course their contracts are up then  anyway. If they are out of contract then it’s a slightly different story in that we save some cash now on players who were not being used and the hard conversation that would be due in May /  June has already effectively been had. 
  • Bailey said:
    DDOUBLEE said:
    So our winger options are literally CBT, Campbell and Rak-Sakyi, quality  :|Are you missing Kirk already 
    Like they have been most of the season …. How many games as Kirk and DJ played under Holden ? or even on the bench for that matter 

fans wanted a clear out .. for a restart in the summer under new owners that’s what they got yet still moaning 
    I am
    all for a clear out and have no problem with 95% of the departures. I'm annoyed (but not surprised) at the lack of replacements.
  • edited February 2023
    Seems odd that a loan player fails a medical.
    If we were signing him on a 3 year deal then fair enough.
    But it was presumably a loan to the end of the season, he’s fit to play now so unless the medical revealed he only had one leg, what’s the issue? 

And why leave it until the 11hour when you had a whole month to sign a middle of the road winger? Same as last window with Bonne.

I thought Andy Scott, Gallen and MS we’re working tirelessly to bring players in?  
  • RedRobin said:
    Embarrassing, Holden has lost credibility tonight! The club couldn’t muster a comment, utter shambles.  We are lighter in all areas. 
    Don't think it's fair to have a go at Holden as I doubt he'd have had much influence other than to identify the players who were surplus to requirements who are mainly the costly mistakes of our dysfunctional recruitment over the last 2 seasons.  Like his predecessors under this owner he won't have had much influence on incoming transfers. He's on a half season contract to keep us ticking over in league 1 whilst the owner tries to flog us for much more than we're worth whilst cutting costs.