Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    The window has gone pretty much as I suspected it would apart from

EOC going
    Not brining in an extra forward, not necessarily a central striker
    Leaburn staying, I believe he was quite close to moving 10 days ago.

This was always going to be a reshuffle, not a rebuild.

I highly doubt we will get relegated, a lot of deadwood has been chopped away, which most wanted.

I'll judge this window in August if we use the headroom to bring in some genuine quality then this window would have done its job.
    Pretty much how I see it. We went into the window needing Sandgaard to leave for a successful future, a half decent team, bit thin on quality, but one that won't go up or down. We end the window in exactly the same situation. We've moved some players out and can't be massively hopeful with the incomings, but I can't see it being too detrimental. 
    I wonder if you'll change your tune should Innis get sent off & banned for 5 matches and Hector isn't fit enough as well as Boone getting injured too.
    Probably. But we had 4 CBs in early September and now we've got 4 CBs. I don't think we're worse in that area. We can't judge Hector yet but if you offered me Hector and Ness or O'Connell and Lavelle, I'd choose the former. I've already said multiple times we're an attacker short. If we finish 20th it's not been too detrimental though has it?
  • sam3110 said:
    Wollacott Maynard-Brewer
    Egbo Kane
    Inniss Hector
    Ness Thomas
    Sessegnon Penney
    Dobson Clare
    Morgan Henry
    Fraser Kilkenny
    Rak-Sakyi Payne
    Leaburn Bonne
    Blackett-Taylor Campbell

Aneke as the wildcard

Doesn't look much worse than the start of the window, and more balanced too. 

Main issue now is injuries
    But they've all gone now haven't they?
    Supaclive said we have NO players left.
    One of you must be wrong.
    I'll have another check to see who is.
  • Jonniesta said:
    Gutted... Morgan's still here. 
    Just as well he is, we're going to need him.
  • thenewbie said:
    Im worried the few wins recently changed there way of thinking and the potential for a relegation scrap 
    think there delusional
    A bigger squad is what we needed!
    No its not. Its really, really not. A BETTER squad is what we needed. A more balanced squad. Problem is, we still do, as is always the case under Sandgaard. The only player who is an actual loss is O'Connell. Every single one of those others was not good enough this season and wouldn't miraculously become so in time for the next one.

Is the squad very thin? Yes, definitely. Do we need to strengthen, YET AGAIN in the summer? Also yes. 

BUT.

That was the case well before today's events anyway. But if Sandgaard wants out (which he clearly does) then players were always going to be sold not bought. Bloating a squad full of dreck and fluff with yet more dreck and fluff wouldn't help at all.
    A bigger squad than this is what i meant ! as we have now a small squad with players that are VERY injury prone so YES we do need bigger 

what the point of now having it like this and having to throw youngsters in that arent ready 
    yes some of the players that have gone werent the best but rather them to fill a gap here and there

Lack of replacements and shit recruitment is the issue !!!!
  • Im worried the few wins recently changed there way of thinking and the potential for a relegation scrap 
    think there delusional
    We have used the most players in the EFL!  How big do you want.
  • Cheer up everyone, I've just remembered Gilbey will be back in the summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Im worried the few wins recently changed there way of thinking and the potential for a relegation scrap 
    think there delusional
    We have used the most players in the EFL!  How big do you want.
    I meant than we are left with now !!!

relying on youth when a relegation scrap still isnt out of the question !
  • The cost cutting has not been a secret and the ownership debacle continues. I think Holden’s shifted most of the players that he clearly doesn’t want, no matter who we signed this window we wouldn’t be going up, and as long as we don’t have freak injury problems we should stay up, overall I’m a bit disappointed O’Connell has gone being an experienced centre back, but with that said I don’t think he would be in a League One promotion team next season so not one to lose sleep over.
    I doubt Holden had any say over the players leaving the club and only little input into those comming in, this was a cost cutting exercise.
  • edited February 2023
    After calming down, my take on the saga is that the squad was poor and it is still poor. Slightly weaker in numbers but not really in quality. Don't have any belief this squad can compete for a top half finish. Don't think TS cares. 
  • @cafcfan1990

It's not been a disaster. I agree!
    But we are 14th in Division 3
    It isn't where we should be in the natural hierarchy of clubs in this country.

That is my problem.

We appear to accept being shit and we shouldn't complain because we've "not had a bad window"

We've hardly had a good one!
  • edited February 2023
    sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:
    Where are all the bed wetters now that it turns out Dobson and Leaburn haven't been sold after all...
    Wondering where all the other players have gone. 
    All of whom (apart from EOC) were surplus to requirements, unfancied by fans and management alike, and big earners
    Citation needed. 

Our bench is filled now with players that haven't played in multiple years or kids. Depth, what depth? 
    AMB
    Sess Inniss Ness Penney
    Kilkenny Dobson Fraser
    Rak-Sakyi Leaburn CBT

Subs - Wollacott, Clare, Hector, Morgan, Payne, Bonne, Aneke

Plus Kane, Thomas, Henry, Campbell and Kanu. Nowhere near as bad as you're making out. 

We're an attacking player light that's for sure. Getting rid of DJ and Kirk without replacing one of them is poor. Obviously was the intention with Edwards but shouldn't be getting rid of DJ if it's fallen through. 
    currently not fit

can you start again with players who are currently fit & ready to play 90 mins.
    Exactly this. Now have no squad players that come in if (when) injuries. Two injuries added to those highlighted above leaves us looking at likes of Chin again to fill bench 
    There’s Henry, Harness, and Campbell as well. 
    Egbo was saying he’ll be back in late Feb I think. 
  • edited February 2023
    supaclive said:

Before today we were 14th
    You think we're ending up much higher?

You aspire to us being bottom half league one?
    I'm not the one embarrassing themself.

I expect more.

Sorry and all that.
    Especially given the rhetoric by Andy Scott just over a month ago.

Do you still assert that we have NO players left?
    All the above is also made up, because I certainly never said any of it.
  • Are there any out of contract has been players
    That have been sitting on their backside who they can sign to make it look like a big transfer window 
  • Sponsored links:

• Has there been any statement that business is done? Let’s hope things don’t get worse in the next few hours, as that would be a good time to try and minimise any backlash. 
  • The one failing, if the aim was to get rid of the deadwood, was that so many ended up loaned out. It saves wages but we will still have those players on the books in the summer as none of the 4 we've loaned out this window are out of contract. 

My take is that we've improved at full back, improved in midfield (based on comments elsewhere about Kilkenny such as from the Not the Top 20 boys), marginally improved up front (Bonne is slightly better than the 2023 Stockley), lost depth in wide attacking positions (but only unwanted squad players) and left ourselves vulnerable at CB unless Hector can get match fit soon. 

What really counts is what happens next, as the squad will need a major rebuild in the summer, whoever is the owner. And if we've saved on wages, then some of it needs to go on securing our better players.
  • Christ Almighty.
  • edited February 2023
    Scoham said:
    Cheer up everyone, I've just remembered Gilbey will be back in the summer.
    He's out of contract though, thank god. So, every cloud
  • msomerton said:
    Are there any out of contract has been players
    That have been sitting on their backside who they can sign to make it look like a big transfer window 
    That was the Hector signing.
  • Football is a funny old game.

Up until today the window was going as decent as I could have expected it would do for owner looking to get out, with us at least focusing on addressing where the glaring holes in our squad were - and not by bringing in a Nile John or Juan Castillo type player. 

However all of a sudden with EOC going and the lack of bringing in that extra attacking option it feels like we are still short of players and are an injury or youth player drop in form away from really struggling. 
  • So Holden tells us how Bolton have been building a team for 2 years and that is why they have beaten us so easily. So what is our plan? No plan except cut the wage bill amd hope we stay up. Then no players in the summer so we build again. 
    Andy Scott was a really crap journey man footballer, a really crap manager and now in whatever role he has at our club he is a liar and a really crap Director of football.
    Methven may have seen more Charlton matches live than me recently and have some dreadful plans for our club but whatever happens I will always have the memory of him looking so angry as we lifted the L1 play off final trophy. 
    He’s finally getting his revenge.