Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• Bailey said:
    DDOUBLEE said:
    So our winger options are literally CBT, Campbell and Rak-Sakyi, quality  :|Are you missing Kirk already 
    Like they have been most of the season …. How many games as Kirk and DJ played under Holden ? or even on the bench for that matter 

fans wanted a clear out .. for a restart in the summer under new owners that’s what they got yet still moaning 
    What new owners? They seem to have disappeared as well.....if they were ever here in the first place!
  • I'll be interested to see if we get the usual transfer window summary piece from Gallen or someone today or if it will be radio silence. Just struggling to make sense of it all beyond cost-cutting. We're left very thin in certain areas and will be relying again on the youngsters to step up before another summer rebuild under whoever is the owner by then. 

Feels like every summer is a rebuild to correct whatever signings were made the summer before under a different manager and that needs to change.
  • A unique and slightly disappointing window.

But we kept our key players such as Leaburn and Dobson and hopefully improved our 2 weakest areas, getting in Kane & Penney as full backs & Bonne in for Stockley.

Not one player that played on Saturday has left.

I'm not inclined to think that we will be relegated.
    Assuming that disaster doesn't happen, the real point is who will buy the club (if anyone) and will they be able to move us forward?

The "deadwood" has been removed so a buyer with means is now well placed to do a Chrissy Powell/Varney summer window, but will we be well placed or will we be potless?

The rest such as we have NO players left is just noise.
    The voice of reason. The most sensible post of the last day or so
  • Valley11 said:
    Why do people keep calling it a clear out?
    Most are loans so they’ll be back in the summer. 
    Because it is a clear out of salaries - massive cost cutting exercise in the end. There's no way the ins outweigh the outs.
  • No doubt about it, that’s s lot of unproductive wages off the books - jfc, Mac, kirk, dj, lavelle, and our captain and vice captain pre Holden, Stockley and o Connel - only O’Connell would arguably get in our starting 11 - we have added in the areas needed but jury out re the quality - no doubt thee red books will be looking better, let’s hope that helps a sale and let’s hope the new players are good - got no idea if they are although my son did say the centre half was the one I saw playing for Fulham on tv under Parker and said he will be sacked if he keeps playing him coz he’s awful - however - this is league 1 and all players brought in have champ pedigree whereas the summer a lot had league 2 pedigree - only time wil tell 
  • I can see it now.....

Holden to TT

"Morning Terrell. Look, I know you know I wanted rid of you, but I couldn't because we don't have any other fit or mentally stable centre halves. Fancy 45 mins on Saturday?".........
  • edited February 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    Valley11 said:
    Because it is a clear out of salaries - massive cost cutting exercise in the end. There's no way the ins outweigh the outs.
    Agreed. I mean; why are some spinning it as a positive that the squad has been culled for a fresh start in the summer?

Kirk, Lavelle, DJ and McGrandles will all be back.

• Went to bed at 10.30 and woke up with all the news I expected other than I though TT was leaving as well, which would have been madness

Not fussed at all on the players that have left and to be able to flip EOC for a fee is decent business on paper as I don’t see him being in Holdens 11 even if his statement was yes man bollocks

IF this is to cut costs to have a proper go in the summer and one of two of these short term options works then I won’t be complaining but we have a tough run of games coming up and things could turn pretty nasty if we lose a centre back or two to injury, it happens as we saw with Wrexham on Sunday 
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:
    Where are all the bed wetters now that it turns out Dobson and Leaburn haven't been sold after all...
    Shitting the bed about everything else...
    Said from day one Raki would not be recalled and that Leaburn and Dobson would still be playing for CAFC in February … 

A broken clock is correct twice a day.

Give it up.
  • If Scott was bought in by the new "men" and TS messed the deal up, I'm guessing TS is picking up his costs. 

If not, then the new men are terrible negotiators anyway and we'll be no better off with them as new owners either.

Which I think most of had figured out already!

• I doubt Burton, Cambridge and the Wombles are paying a great deal in their wages. 

I assume the hope is they impress and they're dumb enough to pay a half baked fee for them in the summer
  • I doubt Burton, Cambridge and the Wombles are paying a great deal in their wages. 

I assume the hope is they impress and they're dumb enough to pay a half baked fee for them in the summer
    How much did we pay for those 4? McGrandles a free, but the other 3? Around the million pound mark in total? 

Be very lucky to get half of that back
  • shirty5 said:
    I doubt Burton, Cambridge and the Wombles are paying a great deal in their wages. 

How much did we pay for those 4? McGrandles a free, but the other 3? Around the million pound mark in total? 

Other than Mcgrandles the rest will all be in the last year if contacts I think, I doubt struggling league one and average league 2 sides would entertain paying anything for them, they'll just  be loaned back out again. 

Still, Martin did discover Fraser at least, so recruitment ain't been all bad.
  • shirty5 said:
    I doubt Burton, Cambridge and the Wombles are paying a great deal in their wages. 

Other than Mcgrandles the rest will all be in the last year if contacts I think, I doubt struggling league one and average league 2 sides would entertain paying anything for them, they'll just  be loaned back out again. 

Still, Martin did discover Fraser at least, so recruitment ain't been all bad.
    All 4 have 18 to 30 months left to run on their contracts 
  • Can we loan out Martin Sandgaard’s black box with all ‘his’ failed signings? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Just gotta hope that Ness (10 games under his belt) and Inniss (injury prone or red card prone) can stay fit and out of trouble otherwise it's a toss up between two crocked players to replace either. This window COULD come back to haunt us.
    Hector hasn't been injured though has he?  He was a back up player in his last year at Fulham.  Its not a JFC case where he had a serious injury and hadn't played afterwards.
    so what has he been doing since last May?
    Training for a few months with National League Dagenham 
  • So we have bought in 5 and let a lot more leave. A lot of it makes sense, we had too many players that were nowhere near to getting a game. They have been shipped out, mostly on loan, but the message is clear they aren't required and need to perform to secure a chance to play next season.

The problem is with incomings, one is now injured (will probably miss most of the season) which is bad luck, two have only really played reserve games this season, one hasn't played any match other than trial since May and the only match fit one is already written off by most of you.

See you at Exeter.

• Went to bed at 10.30 and woke up with all the news I expected other than I though TT was leaving as well, which would have been madness

Not fussed at all on the players that have left and to be able to flip EOC for a fee is decent business on paper as I don’t see him being in Holdens 11 even if his statement was yes man bollocks

IF this is to cut costs to have a proper go in the summer and one of two of these short term options works then I won’t be complaining but we have a tough run of games coming up and things could turn pretty nasty if we lose a centre back or two to injury, it happens as we saw with Wrexham on Sunday 
    I’m in agreement.  For a long time I thought a lot of the players we’ve had on the books haven’t been good enough.  I won’t miss a single one, and had I had my way, Inniss would be gone as well.

However, Inniss staying is the rub because to the best of my knowledge, he’s on lower wages than a lot of them.  It’s difficult to know who and where the strings were being pulled this window, but given the cost cutting, it’s clear it definitely suits TS, and as you say, is it with a view to new owners coming in (not sure our mystery men are actually going to make a go of it though if they assume control).

TS will be pleased with how that all went, and I’m surprised Leaburn is still here to be honest.  

The potential new owners come with a lot of questions and Methven himself is a slimy individual, fronting a bid for the club and taking it off the hands of an incompetent narcissist who in turn owes money to a belligerent old dinosaur.  It’s for this reason we are pretty screwed, short and long term.

It’s time for Nostradamus @henryirving ‘s prophecy to come true imo and I think we’ll slowly see Methven slope away leaving a shell run at minimum costs
  • Well that's that then. With the exception of EOC, the outgoings make sense and the incomings are of decent pedigree although on balance, cost cutting has obviously been the objective.

Hector needs to get himself match fit pronto as Inniss is due an injury and/or suspension. Odd that we have pretty much addressed the full back problem but now weakened CB options (not sure if Mitchell / Elerewe are ready to step up?)

Forward options have also been weakened as CBT and Rak-Sakyi can't play every match. Campbell has looked decent but suspect we will be shuffling Egbo or Sessegnon forward when injuries kick in. Maybe Kanu can get some game time out wide? Bonne will be more useful than Stockley but not exactly a high bar. I don't include Chuks as he is so rarely fit.

Keeping Dobson and Leaburn was crucial imo but without investment and a solid plan now for the summer, next season will be more filling holes and bottom half football.

Change is desperately needed and the thought of parting with my hard earned when the season ticket renewal drops isn't too enticing at present.

• If you look at last Saturday's starting XI and subs, only O'Connell out of those that were farmed out yesterday made the squad.

We all thought that some of the under-utilised players would go but I don't think any of us expected all of them to be out of the door and of course O'Connell on top of that is a bit of a blow.

But we also expected some replacements. We've seen before how a promising season (something that this season cannot be defined as) has tailed off due to injuries and loss of form. If that happens from our current position then that could be a major problem.

I'm happy that, O'Connell apart, the main players are still at Charlton but back-up is now worryingly weak. 

And at least they should now be able to afford to pay up Andy Scott's six week contract.
  • Valley11 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Valley11 said:
    Agreed. I mean; why are some spinning it as a positive that the squad has been culled for a fresh start in the summer?

Kirk, Lavelle, DJ and McGrandles will all be back.

And Gilbey.
  • Valley11 said:
    Apparently EOC signed a 3.5 year deal with Wrexham. So before you get to salary that’s decent security plus move closer to home. 

Good for him, can see why he'd be happy. But as others keep saying, he should not have been for sale in the first place. I would love to know if it's true they were initially interested in Lavelle.
  • Valley11 said:
    Apparently EOC signed a 3.5 year deal with Wrexham. So before you get to salary that’s decent security plus move closer to home. 

Good for him, can see why he'd be happy. But as others keep saying, he should not have been for sale in the first place. I would love to know if it's true they were initially interested in Lavelle.
    Lavelle said he had other options but chose Burton so maybe Wrexham were interested.