Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• So it looks like we seemingly sold EOC for £350,000 and Stockley for £250,000. That's £600,000 that should be re-invested in the squad but won't be in the current set-up. Quite frustrating knowing it's not going anywhere.
    Daylight robbery, well played.
  • Valley11 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Valley11 said:
    Why do people keep calling it a clear out?
    Most are loans so they’ll be back in the summer. 
    Because it is a clear out of salaries - massive cost cutting exercise in the end. There's no way the ins outweigh the outs.
    Agreed. I mean; why are some spinning it as a positive that the squad has been culled for a fresh start in the summer?

Kirk, Lavelle, DJ and McGrandles will all be back.

Oh yes, "They'll be back" unless of course their contracts get.... Terminated! 😉
  • A unique and slightly disappointing window.

But we kept our key players such as Leaburn and Dobson and hopefully improved our 2 weakest areas, getting in Kane & Penney as full backs & Bonne in for Stockley.

Not one player that played on Saturday has left.

I'm not inclined to think that we will be relegated.
    Assuming that disaster doesn't happen, the real point is who will buy the club (if anyone) and will they be able to move us forward?

The "deadwood" has been removed so a buyer with means is now well placed to do a Chrissy Powell/Varney summer window, but will we be well placed or will we be potless?

The rest such as we have NO players left is just noise.

We lost and were completely outclassed on Saturday.
    Shows how shit the players who couldn't get in that team Saturday are then 🤷‍♂️ 
  • Well whoever is in charge next January is definitely going to have to really pull their finger out to win the “shittest transfer window ever” trophy, it’s the only thing Saandgard seems to want to win these days…
  • edited February 2023
    I think if we had let Thomas go instead of EOC and managed to get the winger that can play down the middle signing over the line then people would have said we have had a reasonable window. Rak didn't get recalled and we didn't lose Leaburn, Dobbo, Ness or AMB. We also managed to get a lot of players that don't fit the system/aren't good enough off the books/weren't featuring off the books.

But the late loss of our best CB, along with failing to get in a winger/striker and the injury to Kane suddenly expose how weak our depth is.
  • What we desperately need is the ownership to be sorted, and quickly, one way or another, as there are still loads of issues to be resolved.

We will need to sign a number of players (again) this summer, the "transfer scouts" need to know what budget they have.

We have a number of players out of contract, and someone will need to decide who stays and who goes, and what wages to offer them. That includes current players (Clare, Morgan, Henry etc) plus the new signings Bonne and Hector. If there are players we want to stay, we don't want to wait until the end of the season to make an offer, as it'll be too late.

Yes we have players where we have an option, but if we really want them to stay, we need to be tying them down to longer deals. If nothing else, it'll increase their transfer value - e.g. Dobson with a 3 year contract will be worth more than Dobson on a one year extension.
  • Crazy to think both our assigned captain and vice captain at the start of the season have been sold. No one would have predicted that before season started. Aneke is a wildcard and can’t be included in any real team selection only stay as a super sub when available. So for me they I feel would rather get the kids through if there are some injuries and see if can get another gem in line for a summer bid potentially. Whilst being rid of the deadwood that wasn’t getting in first 11 or even match day squads some of them. We’re see but expect us to finish in and around where we are now. Maybe couple places higher and summer is going to be real interesting one. Never dull being a Charlton fan 
  • Sponsored links:

• supaclive said:
    Everybody realises that the team that played Bolton wasn't good enough?
    That we are 14th for a reason and that even with our best 11, we're a mid table division 3 side?
    Great.  Just checking. 
    Yes I believe we all do.
    This is why it's a good idea to get rid of the players that aren't good enough to make the squad of a mid table Division 3 side.

What is unknown, is whether we will recruit players that are good enough in the summer window, after partially making room for them.
  • The only good thing to come out of this cull is that there is a clear pathway for any youngster who is good enough to make the step up.
    There was a lot of deadwood in the squad. 
  • Free agent wise, would you rather Connor Wickham or Chris Martin?
  • Redhenry said:
    Anyone who thinks TS has been our saviour needs their bumps felt. Said it before but RD was the better owner out of the 2. At least he brought in players.....and some were even quality like JBG,Bulot, Watt, Holmes......

Just hope we have enough points with that 3 game winning run for us not to get dragged back into a relegation fight. We have learnt nothing from the summer, still are so lightweight upfront. An injury to Leaburn doesn't bear thinking about. But that's all ok because we shipped out Kirk,DJ & Lavelle who will all be back in the summer.

Gah !
    I think u are missing the point here. Why keep paying Kirk, DJ & Lavelle when they clearly aren't good enough? I would rather have a youngster in if we have an injury.
    I think you are missing the point.

No problem shifting them out if they are replaced. And by replaced I mean with fit players ready to play. Out of the 3 highlighted above 2 weren't replaced ( at least 1 was needed imo) and the other hasn't played a minute of football this season. 

And we are still just an injury away up front from a repeat of last season. Please remind me how we did in the 6-8 weeks that Stockley & Washington were out. 
    I agree it would be nice to have a bigger squad, but all we have done is get rid of players who were and I repeat not good enough. EOC might be the exception but we got a fee for him.

• Lots of people have asked what Michael Hector has been doing since leaving Fulham. Does anyone on CL know. Apart from recently training at the Massives. 
  • Lots of people have asked what Michael Hector has been doing since leaving Fulham. Does anyone on CL know. Apart from recently training at the Massives. 
    iirc, I think Airman said that he has been training with Dagenham since last May..
    Training with various places including Dagenham apparently. Looks to have taken part in full training today alongside the rest of the squad so I don't think he's as unfit as people presume (Goldie might need to sharpen his cutlery ready for his hat eating feat)
  • edited February 2023
  • edited February 2023
    A unique and slightly disappointing window.

But we kept our key players such as Leaburn and Dobson and hopefully improved our 2 weakest areas, getting in Kane & Penney as full backs & Bonne in for Stockley.

Not one player that played on Saturday has left.

I'm not inclined to think that we will be relegated.
    Assuming that disaster doesn't happen, the real point is who will buy the club (if anyone) and will they be able to move us forward?

The "deadwood" has been removed so a buyer with means is now well placed to do a Chrissy Powell/Varney summer window, but will we be well placed or will we be potless?

The rest such as we have NO players left is just noise.

We lost and were completely outclassed on Saturday.

I have praised Bolton too much over the last two season and they were excellent on Saturday and by far the best team in the league to visit the Valley this season  but they still only won by a free kick that wasn't and an error by Inniss compounded by AMB.

We were totally out classed by Leeds and Brentford in the Championship at the Valley but won both games 1-0 by just parking two buses and the 20+ shots on and around our goal not going in. We had a decent side then as well.

Thank fuck we didn't get rid of any of the players from Saturday. The rest of the Cull can take place under new owners in the summer.

Yes I know 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2023
    not bad three answers in a minute re Hector... I bags first prize..😉
  • Thanks. Hector may well surprise a few people. 
  • sam3110 said:
    Free agent wise, would you rather Connor Wickham or Chris Martin?
    Wickham by a mile
  • sam3110 said:
    Lots of people have asked what Michael Hector has been doing since leaving Fulham. Does anyone on CL know. Apart from recently training at the Massives. 
    Training with various places including Dagenham apparently. Looks to have taken part in full training today alongside the rest of the squad so I don't think he's as unfit as people presume (Goldie might need to sharpen his cutlery ready for his hat eating feat)
    He trialled at Reading and Luton as well.
  • sam3110 said:
    I would have preferred Wickham to Bonne, but now we've signed Bonne, unless Holden wants to play 2 up top, we don't desperately need another number 9.

I'm confused why Wickham left FGR  in mid December after a successful spell there, and nobody has yet signed him yet. He'll have lost his match fitness in that time.
  • sam3110 said:
    Wickham by a mile

Conor Wickham made his debut at 16 for Ipswich and in nearly 14 Years since has made only 250 apps because he lost two years of his career to a knee injury, a year to an ACL and had to have a operation after having a major issue to his hamstring which also kept him out for several months.

A fit Conor Wickham would be snapped up by a Championship club but to employ both Aneke and Wickham just can't happen.
    Pay as you play ?

I genuinely feel sorry for both Conor and Chuks as if both fit in body and mind would be championship players at this stage of their careers.
  • No soundbites from Gallen, Scott or Holden on our transfer window yet? Be interesting to see the spin they put on it?
  • edited February 2023

• Appreciate this is not a rumour but just an opinion piece but I’ll tell you how it plays out.

This gets retweeted excessively, the youngsters naively don’t read the article and get this circulated round their WhatsApp groups until it’s an official rumour.  

Cawley gets asked every day for a week if it’s true, he says it’s one he’s not heard about but it’s not to say it’s not true, to which the millennials and gen X also start to naively believe it’s a genuine rumour.  

It gets bounced around on the socials for a few more days and we even see a pound shop forum or the charlton Facebook page come up with a story on how it’s actually happening and will be announced on xx/02/2023.

The announcement date passes, and a few days later, bosh!  He turns up on a league one rivals Twitter holding a shirt, my guess is someone with the calibre of Oxford, Wycombe Shrewsbury or if he’s lucky Barnsley, Plymouth or Bolton.

He scores on his debut and every one of the remaining 6k home crowd (officially 9k) stand on the concourse at half time telling their mates how we should’ve shed out the wages to get him, but the reality is, we were never in for him at any given point.

The End.

Good grief I’m depressed.

Why we play one up top and we got 4 players fighting for the spot 
  • mart77 said:
    These transfers have greatly damaged fans of traditional squad numbers as we have now seen 5,6,7,8,9,11,12,13,14 leave since the start of the season!
    And somehow Albie Morgan is still hanging around