Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• mart77 said:
    These transfers have greatly damaged fans of traditional squad numbers as we have now seen 5,6,7,8,9,11,12,13,14 leave since the start of the season!
    And somehow Albie Morgan is still hanging around
    Poor old Albie, always gets the shit end of the stick... ;)
  • No soundbites from Gallen, Scott or Holden on our transfer window yet? Be interesting to see the spin they put on it?

I should think they're probably having a morning off, since after a long day they wouldn't have got home until after midnight.

If the Comms team (is there one still?) finished before them, then there's no interviews either.
    No doubt interviews will be made and published in due course.

• edited February 2023
    A unique and slightly disappointing window.

But we kept our key players such as Leaburn and Dobson and hopefully improved our 2 weakest areas, getting in Kane & Penney as full backs & Bonne in for Stockley.

Not one player that played on Saturday has left.

I'm not inclined to think that we will be relegated.
    Assuming that disaster doesn't happen, the real point is who will buy the club (if anyone) and will they be able to move us forward?

The "deadwood" has been removed so a buyer with means is now well placed to do a Chrissy Powell/Varney summer window, but will we be well placed or will we be potless?

The rest such as we have NO players left is just noise.

We lost and were completely outclassed on Saturday.
    Exactly.
    Our best eleven are only mid table standard and we need better players, so we need to remove the worst players and bring in promotion standard players.
    The starting point has to be getting rid of the worst players which we are doing.
    The only exception being EOC, but tbh we would have been foolish to decline £350K, if Wrexham really did offer us that very generous amount.
    But what does sending Kirk and DJ out on loan accomplish? Leaving us with three wingers. We haven't got rid of them, they're coming back. We haven't got rid of Lavelle either.
  • supaclive said:
    And there is only one way Wrexham knew O'Conell was available. Charlton had let it be known that AT LEAST three of their centre halves were available to buy.

We'll know the truth on Disney + later in the year too!
    Or his agent was seeking a move for him to take another percentage.
  • My main concern now is if no takeover happens we'll be left with Martin Sandgaard rebuilding our squad. That only ends one way.
  • A unique and slightly disappointing window.

But we kept our key players such as Leaburn and Dobson and hopefully improved our 2 weakest areas, getting in Kane & Penney as full backs & Bonne in for Stockley.

Assuming that disaster doesn't happen, the real point is who will buy the club (if anyone) and will they be able to move us forward?

The "deadwood" has been removed so a buyer with means is now well placed to do a Chrissy Powell/Varney summer window, but will we be well placed or will we be potless?

Exactly.
    Our best eleven are only mid table standard and we need better players, so we need to remove the worst players and bring in promotion standard players.
    The starting point has to be getting rid of the worst players which we are doing.
    The only exception being EOC, but tbh we would have been foolish to decline £350K, if Wrexham really did offer us that very generous amount.
    So they get rid of the so called deadwood and leve us with a threadbare squad that will be lucky to 4 or 5 players on the subs bench and if injuries occur would not be able to field a best 11.
    All ! so they can  rebuild in the summer ,but ignoring the increased risk of relegation due to
    A threadbare squad because of the lack of new better players comming in now .
  • Chunes said:

Exactly.
    But what does sending Kirk and DJ out on loan accomplish? Leaving us with three wingers. We haven't got rid of them, they're coming back. We haven't got rid of Lavelle either.
    Stating the obvious, it saves on some of the wages of players that were unlikely to play this season and if they do well we may have more chance of moving them on in the summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2023
    Chunes said:

Exactly.
    Stating the obvious, it saves on some of the wages of players that were unlikely to play this season and if they do well we may have more chance of moving them on in the summer.
    So the new owners are prioritising saving on wages even if it possibly leaves us short. That sounds promising. I think we are perhaps seeing what we want to see and ignoring the obvious here?
  • edited February 2023
    People putting their eggs into the basket of a 'summer reset to push us up the table' will be disappointed when it's just free transfers, loans and kids again. 

The cycle continues. 
    It all depends if we get a wealthy, decent, ambitious owner.
    I doubt many are confident.
    But even if it's Methven & co I believe their aim is to get us to The Championship and "sell/flip" us, so either way we need to get rid of the players that aren't good enough for a mid table L1 squad.
  • I suspect that "hate speech" text number will be dialled a billion times from 2.30pm-5pm on Saturday. And not with the sort of complaints it hoped to attract...
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Exactly.
    So the new owners are prioritising saving on wages even if it possibly leaves us short. That sounds promising. I think we are perhaps seeing what we want to see and ignoring the obvious here?
    Whether it's TS or new owners saving on wages for the next 5 months i can see the logic that it doesn't matter too much if we finish 12th or 17th.
    I'd rather we did what we did than sell Leaburn.
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Exactly.
    I’d guess it’s more a case of TS being scared of being left with a large wage bill to tackle on his own should prospective buyers walk away. Maybe Scott’s job was to mediate who needed to be kept and who could be offloaded without the agreed price being changed for either party. God only knows I fear!
  • edited February 2023
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Exactly.
    Whether it's TS or new owners saving on wages for the next 5 months i can see the logic that it doesn't matter too much if we finish 12th or 17th.
    What's do you think is more likely:

Scenario A: They sat down and said "It doesn't matter if we finish 12th or 17th so let's ship a bundle of players out for a % of their wage to save few quid." 

Or Scenario B: They don't have any money and need to cut the wage bill. 
  • People putting their eggs into the basket of a 'summer reset to push us up the table' will be disappointed when it's just free transfers, loans and kids again. 

The cycle continues. 
    That's it though, we don't know that it will be. If Sandgaard’s still in charge then yes it will be, for sure. If Charlie Methven and Co. are in charge, it PROBABLY will be, unless they somehow conjure up a billionaire backer out of thin air at the last minute (unlikely but technically its possible.) 

If Methven slinks off with his golden handshake but Varney or A.N. Other steps in, we might, MIGHT have the funds to change things around.

At this stage I don't think there's many (if any) who are genuinely thinking that as it stands summer will see big money or lots of activity. But things may change by then.
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Exactly.

Scenario A: They sat down and said "It doesn't matter if we finish 12th or 17th so let's ship a bundle of players out for a % of their wage to save few quid." 

If money was the only criteria, surely we would have flogged Leaburn for say £1.5m?
  • Sponsored links:

• Lots of people have asked what Michael Hector has been doing since leaving Fulham. Does anyone on CL know. Apart from recently training at the Massives. 
    Been training at Dagenham and Redbridge .. and has been with us for 3 weeks 
  • Chunes said:

Exactly.
    Only one caveat to that Chunes, the incoming are not quite Dead Wood, they are slightly going off with a few maggots here and there but are not exactly dead.  
  • Lots of people have asked what Michael Hector has been doing since leaving Fulham. Does anyone on CL know. Apart from recently training at the Massives. 
    Mmmm, where did i hear that...ah yes 3 hours ago, another scoop Ronnie...😉
    No he wasn't.

He was at the massives for a few weeks.
  • edited February 2023
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Exactly.

If money was the only criteria, surely we would have flogged Leaburn for say £1.5m?
    Well they're not stupid. If they sold Leaburn and EOC then they'd be greeted with absolute disdain. Even slimy Matt Southall didn't cash in by selling Joe Gomez's clause back to Liverpool  when he could have. 
  •  Trying  to keep a glass half full view, everyone who left ( with the exception of OConnell ) were pretty useless week in week out . Look back and check out the player marks . It should cheer you up. Hopefully the replacements will step up.