Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023

Comments

• Options
    Incredibly costly when they're already looking shattered. 
    Amazed that Wiegman hadn't made any subs prior to the red card. 
  • Options
    follett said:
    MrOneLung said:
    And there’s the scapegoat for when we go out….
    It wouldn't really be a scapegoat, she'd deservedly have to take a large chunk of blame. No one has played well and it obviously wouldn't be the sole reason if we lose but a moment of madness from James really could cost the team here
    Let’s see. I hope so, but I fear the worst for her, e.g. once the likes of Piers Morgan get involved. 
  • Options
    Still think we win this
  • Options
    We're actually looking quite good now we're down to 10. Without James as the focal point we're playing it around a lot of players and Nigeria's press is less focused. Small shape change is giving more options out wide and Walsh and Stanway are actually able to play to each other now
  • Options
    Got to get a few fresh legs on here surely.
  • Options
    Incredibly costly when they're already looking shattered. 
    Amazed that Wiegman hadn't made any subs prior to the red card. 
    I thought James looked knackered before the incident.  As did others. Russo ran off quicker to be subbed than she had done for the last 30 mins of the game. 
  • Options
    That should have been a penalty to Nigeria.
    The barge in the back...?
  • Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    Yes.
    Yeah was baffled how it didnt go to VAR
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Outrageous that wasn't given!
  • Options
    How was Carter not booked for that?
  • Options
    /ForeverAddickted said:
    Yes.
    Yeah was baffled how it didnt go to VAR
    I wonder if, perhaps, VAR did look at it but decided that it was very similar to the one that wasn't taken away from us so didn't refer it to the Ref? Two wrongs don't make a right though. 
  • Options
    Can get 9/4 Nigeria to qualify 
    Hope you got in this!
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    This has been a tough and frustrating watch. We’ve often looked like the marginally better technical side but Nigeria have looked decent, they’ve outmuscled and bullied us all game and we’ve made bad decisions every time we’ve had an opportunity. Whether we win or not, I can’t see us going far unless things change.
  • Options
    Really starting to feel like Weigman is just planning for penalties here. We're sending high balls up to Kelly and Hemp to try and win and hold the ball up despite them being players all about pace and playing off the shoulder. Beth England can actually hold the ball up as a target player but instead we're asking daft things of our players that don't suit them and inviting the ball back onto us. Looks like we're keeping our 'best' players on just in case we get a lucky break and score and then she'll make her changes ahead of a shootout. Odd choice for a normally proactive manager
  • Options
    Why the Nigerian girls didn't get in the ref's face for that clumsy challenge by Lucy heavy touch Bronze is a mystery ?
  • Options
    Why the Nigerian girls didn't get in the ref's face for that clumsy challenge by Lucy heavy touch Bronze is a mystery ?
    Discipline?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Discipline?
    Leave off. Did you see their behaviour when the penalty was given? Whether they were right or not, that was not good discipline.
  • Options
    Zelem for Walsh.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Desire on for Nigeria. England’s defence is terrified 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Discipline?

"Would you mind awfully just checking that with VAR please, as I believe that was a stonewall penalty. Thank you."
  • Options
    I know she has been in running for world player of year before and played for the biggest clubs, but I fail to see what Bronze brings to the team other than an aerial threat at set pieces 
  • Options
    Penalties it is
  • Options
    What an absolutely awful game. If we win on pens it won't matter of course but that was bad.
  • Options
    Stanway, England, Kelly, Zelem, Bright

That would be my five but no idea what order.
  • Options
    We've been awful, so a penalty shootout feels like a bonus rather than something to worry about.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I know she has been in running for world player of year before and played for the biggest clubs, but I fail to see what Bronze brings to the team other than an aerial threat at set pieces 
    She's always been the standout in previous tournaments for me. 

This year she hasn't been nearly as effective. Think it's one of the reasons we look so flat.
  • Options
    What an absolutely awful game. If we win on pens it won't matter of course but that was bad.
    Attritional knock out stage game, to be fair didn't feel either team did enough to deserve a win whatever the bizarre commentary team thought.