Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023

Comments

• Options
    Never in doubt 😉
  • Options
    Kelly, hero again
  • Options
    Phew.

Didn't deserve that but knockout football a win is a win!
  • Options
    Credit where credit's due, that took bottle.  Well done England.
  • Options
    Absolute shite but through 
  • Options
    That weird hop before her pen.  I think my heart stopped. 
  • Options
    Dodged. A.  Huge. Bullet!!!
  • Options
    Amazing to win a shootout after missing the first one so badly

Terrible performance though.
  • Options
    Nice to see the England players shielding the Nigeria goalkeeper from the camera at the end.
  • Options
    Can't play much worse going forward...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hopefully this is the catalyst for us to play better going forward. 
  • Options
    I think we deserved it.
    If Nigeria were the better team 11 v 11 and didn't score and then had 11 v 10 for so long and still didn't do enough to take advantage then that's somewhat poor play by them.
  • Options
    Following updates, it sounded like we were missing something agai. Nigeria sounded the better team, but couldn't score even against ten women, and England stood up to be counted in the penalty shoot out, so through we go!
  • Options
    England were awful today, red card just madness , but a wins a win, onwards and upwards and all that.

• Options
    49,461 - second highest attendance so far after Australia's opening game.
  • Options
    Really poor today. The 352 didn't suit our strikers and we did nothing about it. It's the first time I've really questioned Wiegman but she brought Kelly on to hold the ball up when we needed a target player and when she finally did bring Beth England on you could immediately see the effect. She left a visibly dead Walsh on the pitch until she seemingly aggravated her injury again and only really made changes based on penalties. James should have been subbed before her moment of madness and now she's probably out for the rest of the tournament. We relied on our superior fitness and depth to survive that extra time. Defensively though we were pretty strong. Carter, Bright and Greenwood were really solid and we didn't let anything in behind, which is the real threat from Nigeria. Nigeria are a counter-attacking team and even when we were frustrated we didn't let them tempt us up and stretch us and that's credit to the players' tactical discipline. 
    Greenwood was player of the match for me, absolutely rock solid and covered their right wing threat superbly, allowed Daly to provide support for the attacking players and scored her penalty. I've not always been sure about Greenwood for England and she's had to step into big shoes with Williamson out but she was excellent today.
  • Options
    TEL said:
    Plumptre player of the match for me. Superb player. 
    She was quality.
  • Options
    Nigeria lost that. The mental barrier of progressing further than they'd ever been before was probably the difference, as England had that mental strength from previous successes to drag them through.
  • Options
    Nigeria lost that. The mental barrier of progressing further than they'd ever been before was probably the difference, as England had that mental strength from previous successes to drag them through.
    They've made the quarters before.
  • Options
    Yeah we were shite today and the red card was absolutely unnecessary and idiotic. But we're still in it, however we need to shift several gears of we're going to win this whole thing
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kelly’s was one of the best I’ve ever seen. It would have taken the keeper’s hand off if she’d managed to get a glove on it. 
  • Options
    Phew.

Actually, a draw is a win.
  • Options
    That red card was moronic. Wouldn't catch the number 7 in the men's team doing that kind of thing throughout history... 
  • Options
    They've made the quarters before.
    When there were less teams and no second round. 
  • Options
    TEL said:
    Plumptre player of the match for me. Superb player. 
    Ironic as British and qualifies for NGA via a grandfather
  • Options
    Phew.

Don't quote that to the AUS cricket supporters!
  • Options
    Phew.

Alright Mourinho.