Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023

Yes, yet another World Cup!

This one takes place between July 20 and August 20 next year.  It is the first Women’s World Cup to be hosted by two countries, Australia and New Zealand, and is the first to be held in the Southern Hemisphere.  This is the 9th tournament and is extended from 24 to 32 teams.

The US are defending champions and they won the last two tournaments in 2015 and 2019.  

The group draw took place in Auckland last night attended by 800 dignitaries and sporting heroes from around the world.  These included a huge FIFA contingent which required their own Customs queue at Auckland airport on arrival.  The evening began with performances of Māori and Aboriginal dances and songs followed by video montages introducing the match host cities.

Eden Park in Auckland (capacity 50,000) will host the opening game between NZ and Norway and the final will be at Stadium Australia (capacity 83,500).  New Zealand have never won a match in 5 World Cup tournaments but have a good chance this time in a group with no highly seeded teams.

The groups drawn are:

GROUP A:  New Zealand, Norway, Philippines, Switzerland
GROUP B:  Australia, Republic of Ireland, Nigeria, Canada
GROUP C:  Spain, Costa Rica, Zambia, Japan
GROUP D:  England, Play off Group B winners*, Denmark, China
GROUP E:  United States, Vietnam, Netherlands, Play off Group A winners*, 
GROUP F:  France, Jamaica, Brazil, Play off Group C winners*
GROUP G:  Sweden South Africa, Italy, Argentina
GROUP H:  Germany, Morocco, Columbia, South Korea
*  Winners of the inter-confederation play offs not known at the time of the draw

The biggest pool match of the tournament will be USA v Netherlands in Wellington, a replay of the 2019 Cup Final won by USA 2-0 in front of 57,900 spectators in Paris.

Comments

• I get why it's been extended, but this will only more starkly demonstrate the chasm in the women's game. Will a bunch of 20-0 scorelines advance the game in the lesser countries? Would 'only' losing by 5 be seen as a great thing? I'm not convinced. These nations need funding, not a premature seat at the table. But I might be wrong. Other viewpoints welcome 
  • You definitely won't get 20-0's at this level, but there will likely be some heavy scores. I'd imagine that Spain will destroy Costa Rica and Zambia and USA and Holland will do the same to Vietnam. Not sure who the play winners will be or how good they are?

Heaviest result at the last world cup was USA beating Thailand 13-0 but after that the next biggest score was 5-0.
  • That was at a 24-team World Cup! And okay maybe I was exaggerating with the 20-0 predictions, but a bunch of thumpings won't be edifying for anyone. Let's see I guess 
  • You definitely won't get 20-0's at this level, but there will likely be some heavy scores. I'd imagine that Spain will destroy Costa Rica and Zambia and USA and Holland will do the same to Vietnam. Not sure who the play winners will be or how good they are?

Heaviest result at the last world cup was USA beating Thailand 13-0 but after that the next biggest score was 5-0.
    Then you get England putting eight past one of the established teams at the Euros so the patronising of the smaller nations is, I think, just that (not by you, Chris, btw).
  • After the Euros win, I was thinking of going to this, then saw where it's being held.  Perhaps not.

Then you get England putting eight past one of the established teams at the Euros so the patronising of the smaller nations is, I think, just that (not by you, Chris, btw).
    This only strengthens my case, surely? 
  • Leuth said:
    You definitely won't get 20-0's at this level, but there will likely be some heavy scores. I'd imagine that Spain will destroy Costa Rica and Zambia and USA and Holland will do the same to Vietnam. Not sure who the play winners will be or how good they are?

This only strengthens my case, surely? 
    I think that was a freak result from a superb England side. Norway are not a lesser nation, they've won the Euro's twice and the world cup.

We also smashed Sweden 4-0 in the semi's. We were just on fire that tournament.
  • but the point is - if such a gap can exist between two seemingly stronger nations...

As I say, wait and see. But this could well end up looking like that Rugby League World Cup you've been calling a farce
  • Leuth said:
    but the point is - if such a gap can exist between two seemingly stronger nations...

As I say, wait and see. But this could well end up looking like that Rugby League World Cup you've been calling a farce
    Like i said though i think that was just a freak result, we played them in 2019 and they beat us 2-1. I don't see it much different to Germany hammering Brazil 7-1.

I'm not disagreeing with you that there will be some heavy wins, especially as some countries will only be part time. Even Northern Ireland at the Euro's were part time. But by increasing the number of countries competing surely some of the smaller nations getting to a world cup means more money for them, which in turn you'd hope would be reinvested into improving their game. It can't be a bad thing in the long run.
  • I guess the financial argument is a good one, although it shouldn't take a World Cup to get these smaller nations' teams properly funded! What about the nations that just missed on qualifying etc...
  • Sponsored links:

• Looks like Leah Williamson is out with an ACL injury, add to Beth Mead out with the same, Fran Kirby is injured and Milly Bright is touch and go for the summer. England's squad looking a bit stretched already 
  • So many leading women footballers internationally hit by ACL's. Hopefully the research into womens sports injuries especially ACL injuries will be accelerated.
  • England used all their luck up in the Euro's when they could name the same starting 11 for most matches and played both Spain and Germany when their star Player's were missing in Putellas( ACL) in QF, (injured the week before Euro's) and Popp who despite doing the warm up couldn't play in the final.

No obvious replacement for Williamson who can not only play CB and midfield but has a winners mentality. Surely ex England CB Captain Steph Houghton will make the squad now ? Greenwood can play CB but Milly Bright is needed now more than ever.

ACL'S happen more often in Woman's football. Arsenal's season is being wrecked with Williamson joining Beth Mead and Vivianne Miedema with the same dreaded knee injury. Plus Kim Little is out with a hamstring injury.

This WC is really bad timing for England but players need to step up to the plate and grab their chances. 
    England won the Euros because they had the fresh legs of Kelly, Russo and Toone to bring on in the 2nd half plus Mead scored for fun in 2022.
     Russo and Toone will now start the matches and we just won't have the same dynamic subs to make. James, Hemp and Kelly will rotate as the wide forwards with one starting on the bench.
  • Just seen this.
    Absolutely gutted for her.
    And adds to my theory that boot manufacturing need to start making boots just for women 
  • Kap10 said:
    So many leading women footballers internationally hit by ACL's. Hopefully the research into womens sports injuries especially ACL injuries will be accelerated.
    I think Charlton have had four this season. It's ridiculous
  • Now Lucy Bronze as well
  • Have they borrowed our medical team?
  • Rothko said:
    Now Lucy Bronze as well
    Not as bad as first feared apparently, but then you never know
  • There are various theories about this.  

Obviously there are the physiological differences between men and women, boots are only now being made specifically for women and there is physiological changes that loosen ligaments during menstruation! A lot of variables!
  • Sponsored links:

• Sorry - that is link to bbc article re womens ACL injuries 
  • Got tickets for the opener at Eden Park. Looking forward to bringing the kids (and wife, although I had to convince her) to this event.
  • Fran Kirby now out, with of course a knee injury 
  • FIFA threaten world cup blackout if Europe's big 5 dont pay more for TV rights

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65453756 
  • Doesn't really matter. Even if you did want to watch it you won't be able to. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65453756
  • Just proves that even with the fake fawning broadcasters realise the woman's game is not really worth it. 

Plus it shows yet again what FIFA care about. The moment we and other countries breakaway from that corrupt bunch of tossers the better. Then again our fa and other countries fa's are to embedded with FIFA and uefa.  

• Just proves that even with the fake fawning broadcasters realise the woman's game is not really worth it. 

Plus it shows yet again what FIFA care about. The moment we and other countries breakaway from that corrupt bunch of tossers the better. Then again our fa and other countries fa's are to embedded with FIFA and uefa.  

If the five countries set up their own organization the others would soon join
  • If it's so important to FIFA, then maybe they could support it finally from their millions, and let it be on TV still?

No, thought not.
  • I went to the Arsenal v Wolfsburg game yesterday. Really good game but it was relentless injuries. I think including ET the game must have last over 140 mins!
  • I went to the Arsenal v Wolfsburg game yesterday. Really good game but it was relentless injuries. I think including ET the game must have last over 140 mins!
    Was there as well, add in the massive VAR delays as well, which dragged the halves on a lot