Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Just seen the odds put up on screen by the BBC.
    England 11/4
    Spain 7/2
    Japan 5/1
    France 8/1
    Australia 9/1
    Sweden 11/1
    Netherlands 14/1
    Colombia 40/1

I can only imagine, a lot of Money went on England after we thrashed China ?

As we have no Williamson, Kirby, Mead and now James probably for the rest of the tournament (if 1 match ban becomes 3) then there are some strange odds being quoted.

France 8/1 and Netherlands 14/1 appear the value.

Japan have been the most impressive team in all 4 games.

Coming to the business end now and England's will to win and team spirit appears our main strength at the moment as our form, bar China game over the last 6 matches( including Portugal & Aussie friendlies)is under par.

• Options
    USA, Germany etc have gone out and we're the European champions so makes some sense, but I agree that we're not playing anywhere near as well (bar the China game), are missing players etc.

Japan should be favourites after that Spain result.

• Options
    USA, Germany etc have gone out and we're the European champions so makes some sense, but I agree that we're not playing anywhere near as well (bar the China game), are missing players etc.

Japan should be favourites after that Spain result.

What also might be a factor is we have the weakest opposition in the quarters.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Believe England were second favourites behind USA before the tournament began so it would make sense to see that they’re favourites now.

If they had performed well against Nigeria etc. they’d be much shorter than 11/4. The fact they’re such a weak favourite after the primary competition was dumped out should speak for itself.

Colombia being 40/1 also feeds into @MuttleyCAFC ‘s point that England have the weakest opposition remaining in the next round which boosts their chances.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

I was 7/8 in predicting quarter finalists…

For semi finalists I’m going for 

Spain v Japan
    France v England

Can’t see where the upset is coming from…
  • Options
    It's certainly been an interesting tournament so far. Impressed with Australia beating Denmark if Im being honest. I think England would struggle against them unless they are on top of their game. But Colombia first.

Japan and their ability to have a plan A/B/C/D along with their technical strengths have been my favourites from the start.....I liked Spain, but Japan gave them a footballing lesson in 541.
  • Options
    TELTEL
    edited August 2023
    McBobbin said:
    We need to put indigenous terms next to the cities next time we have a world cup i.e. (London/Taaaaan), (Glasgow/Glasgae), (Birmingham/shitehole)
    And a cultural welcome

Alright cock... London Taaaaan
    See you Jimmy.... Glasgae
    We just want to be togetherrrrrr.....Birmingshite... 
    Hadaway an shite man... Newcastle
    Gisajob... Liverpool
    Fertiliser... Fertiliser... Fertiliser Fertiliser Bristol and Gloucester
  • Options
    Believe England were second favourites behind USA before the tournament began so it would make sense to see that they’re favourites now.

If they had performed well against Nigeria etc. they’d be much shorter than 11/4. The fact they’re such a weak favourite after the primary competition was dumped out should speak for itself.

Colombia being 40/1 also feeds into @MuttleyCAFC ‘s point that England have the weakest opposition remaining in the next round which boosts their chances.

Depends which Colombia turns up.

The team that knocked out 2 time winners Germany or the team that lost to Morocco?

The prices appear to be more to do with World rankings before the tournament started than the 4 games all the teams have played so far otherwise Japan would be favourites as they have had the best form and are the only past winners still standing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can't believe the odds on the England v Colombia match. England, without their best attacking player, 4/9 (1.58 Betfair) and Colombia 6/1 (8.6 Betfair).
    I'll be having some of that 8.6.
  • Options
    Lauren James ban extended to two games, could miss a semi final if we get there but would make the final should we get there.
  • Options
    That seems fair, but there's definitely an element of FIFA protecting France and nobody else here haha
  • Options

Depends which Colombia turns up.

The team that knocked out 2 time winners Germany or the team that lost to Morocco?

The prices appear to be more to do with World rankings before the tournament started than the 4 games all the teams have played so far otherwise Japan would be favourites as they have had the best form and are the only past winners still standing.
    That’s what odds are all about, why sport is so great… if all sport played out on paper, no-one would watch.

Teams regularly play above or below the level they should on any given day for multiple reasons. BUT if England play at their expected level and all others do likewise, England should feel confident.

Plenty of games left to be played though. England can still sh*t the bed, or Japan could continue playing way beyond their expected level, or return to expected performance levels.
  • Options
    Comment in The Guardian: “Kelly told a camera operator to move away from the [Nigerian] keeper.”. That’s a polite way of putting it. 
  • Options
    Spain and Netherlands gone to extra time after a 91st minute equaliser for the Dutch.
  • Options
    Spain advance 2-1 after extra time.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    The Dutch nearly caused a shock against the skilled passing of the Spanish.
    At 0-0 in the Second half VAR overturned a penalty given to the Netherlands which could've seen Spain underachieve yet again.
    They had the luck this time they didn't have against England(Euro QF) and have reached the Semi final for the 1st time.
  • Options
    Blonde Stoke looking relentless, alas
  • Options
     Sweden 1-0 HT

Sweden looking very strong and this match could be over if it hadn't been for a poor miss and a decent save.

Japan need to go up a couple of gears as they were a shadow of theirselves in that half.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    VAR nonsense again - maybe technically a penalty but morally? Header hitting her from her own teammate? Bullshit, I say
  • Options
    2-0 now, thought Japan were going to win, but maybe can't live with the bigger Swedes.

Going to be missing the England game tomorrow because at a family event. Going to be a lot of phone checking going on (remember the old days when people used to keep leaving the room at times like this to kop a look at ceefax)
  • Options
    Not a penalty.
  • Options
    How is that not being looked at? Don't want to admit the ref got it wrong. Justice served.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Never a penalty, and it should've  been a card for a dive. VAR gets most decisions correct(this WC) as the rules stand but that one will remain  a mystery.

Justice was done.
  • Options
    How did that stay out??
  • Options
    Force field breached 1-2.
  • Options
    Japan will rue that Penalty miss if they go out.

Japan have got stronger with their subs but Sweden are weeker since their changes.
  • Options
    Sweden through. With that there will definitely be a first time winner. With the Dutch out only Sweden have even reached a final before.
  • Options
    Sad to see the most exciting side go out. VAR killing this tournament. That handball how can you play on, go down the other end, get a foul and then get called back for VAR. Absolute bullshit.