Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Why the Nigerian girls didn't get in the ref's face for that clumsy challenge by Lucy heavy touch Bronze is a mystery ?
    Discipline?

"Would you mind awfully just checking that with VAR please, as I believe that was a stonewall penalty. Thank you."
    If the push against Daly wasn't given there is no way that should have been.
  • Options
    Nigeria lost that. The mental barrier of progressing further than they'd ever been before was probably the difference, as England had that mental strength from previous successes to drag them through.
    They've made the quarters before.
    Not this squad though. That was 24 years ago.
  • Options
    Well done England although we made hard work of it.

That Robyn Cowan (who I normally think is ok as a commentator) was so pro NIgeria and anti England in my opinion that I almost turned the sound off.
  • Options
    Phew.

Didn't deserve that but knockout football a win is a win!
    Actually, a draw is a win.
    Alright Mourinho.
    Some bright spark on BBC yesterday after the US penalties turned around and said that they were unbeaten in 20 games in world cups... was a bit of a head scratcher of a thing to say in the direct aftermath of a defeat. Had very Mourinho ish energy

• Options
    We had good game management from the 87 minutes after the Red card. England's strong mentality got us through.
    Nigeria were excellent and strong but couldn't find the killer touch. The game was more even after the Red which makes me wonder if suddenly being favourites to win affected Nigeria ?

If Daley hadn't thrown herself down so dramatically VAR wouldn't have over turned the penalty decision even though it would've been harsh.

I tipped Q.final for England but no further but depends who we get. No X factor James but she was Y Lauren Y today 🤦🏾‍♀️
  • Options
    Jamaica or Colombia will know to press England hard in Quarter final and not give the lionesses time like China did. Pleased my son will get to see another England game in Sydney on the 12th.
  • Options
    2-0 Australia and surely game over now.
  • Options
    Mary Fowler is the sort of playmaker a lot of teams in this tournament could do with. And she's Australian ffs
  • Options
    Foord, Carpenter and Fowler were very good for the Australians. Well deserved 
  • Options
    Aussies into the quarters and Kerr has only played 10 minutes. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seeing a crowd of over 75k is the reason you need to see the last host's standing to at least get to the Semi final.
  • Options
    Thinking about the England game, if Nigeria had got the penalty that the pundits said they should, would there have had to be a second red card?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I think Nigeria didn't suit England. They were a bit faster and stronger physically as a team. England were struggling to score but solved that by playing high up the pitch against China but I don't think they felt secure given the pace Nigeria had on the break doing the same today. They would probably prefer Columbia in the quarters I suspect.
  • Options
    The early exit of USA was a bummer for Auckland hospitality.  They brought over around 20,000 fans and it is expected many will go home early.

it wouldn’t have been necessary had Megan Rapino not put her Nicky Bailey penalty over the bar. The score in penalties was 3-2 to USA and Megan’s penalty should have all but assured her team a place in the quarter finals against Japan.

But having missed her kick, Rapino went back to join her team mates and LAUGHED!  This has infuriated social media and one Donald Trump who blamed Rapino’s miss and the USA early exit on Joe Biden.

”The loss …. is fully emblematic of what is happening to our once great Nation under Joe Biden.  Woke equals failure.  Nice shot Megan, the USA is going to hell.”

Megan Rapino has been an avid figure for equal pay and LGBTQ+ rights in the US.
  • Options
    Rapinoe has been a big part of the reason the USA has been so successful over the years!
  • Options
    21 year old Lauren James joins not only David Beckham but Wayne Rooney when he was over Zealous and his boot came into contact with the groin of Carvalho and the winker Ronaldo helped to get him sent off in WC 2006.

Three young stars who made bad decisions in a split second. 

Using a bum as a starting block isn't to be recommended but I would say it's not violent conduct but Cheeky conduct and one match should be the punishment. 🤞

I fear 3 and Lauren James WC will be over and her brilliant goals against China will be over shadowed by a small step by a woman...
  • Options
    21 year old Lauren James joins not only David Beckham but Wayne Rooney when he was over Zealous and his boot came into contact with the groin of Carvalho and the winker Ronaldo helped to get him sent off in WC 2006.

Three young stars who made bad decisions in a split second. 

Using a bum as a starting block isn't to be recommended but I would say it's not violent conduct but Cheeky conduct and one match should be the punishment. 🤞

I fear 3 and Lauren James WC will be over and her brilliant goals against China will be over shadowed by a small step by a woman...
    I tend to agree, but Beckham and Rooney managed to scrape some sort of career from the game after their transgressions. It'll be forgotten quickly and she will learn from this - a three game ban will end her world cup which is punishment enough.

• Options
    The early exit of USA was a bummer for Auckland hospitality.  They brought over around 20,000 fans and it is expected many will go home early.

it wouldn’t have been necessary had Megan Rapino not put her Nicky Bailey penalty over the bar. The score in penalties was 3-2 to USA and Megan’s penalty should have all but assured her team a place in the quarter finals against Japan.

But having missed her kick, Rapino went back to join her team mates and LAUGHED!  This has infuriated social media and one Donald Trump who blamed Rapino’s miss and the USA early exit on Joe Biden.

”The loss …. is fully emblematic of what is happening to our once great Nation under Joe Biden.  Woke equals failure.  Nice shot Megan, the USA is going to hell.”

Megan Rapino has been an avid figure for equal pay and LGBTQ+ rights in the US.
    Absolutely hilarious. I wonder if the next two penalties that missed were woke too, or if they were just regular penalties.
  • Options
    Rapinoe has been a big part of the reason the USA has been so successful over the years!
    Undoubtedly so, but this was clearly a tournament too far, as she was dreadful every time she stepped onto the pitch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2023
    The Jamaican coach said the game against Colombia would be a war and after seeing the foul by Spence on the Colombian girl where she tripped her and pull her back by the shoulder I see what he means.

This is a battle and will this end 11 v 11 🤔
    I don't think so.

Winners plays England so carry on kicking and fouling each other in a scrappy old match.
  • Options
    omg that miss!
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Quality at last from Colombia:
    Sublime 30 yard pass from out wide and an excellent finish in the box.
    1-0
  • Options
    Think Jamaica’s is my favourite kit in the tournament 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Colombian skill on the ball beat Jamaica in the 2nd half and now sets up England v Colombia in the Q.Final of World cup.

Massive for both sides.
  • Options
    Despite the improvement of Morocco since conceding 6 to Germany in their 1st game I would feel France should win by about 3 today.
    I'd love to be wrong as France are probably the strongest team left in this side of the draw.
  • Options
    Time for a bet on Colombia to beat England. If England win, who cares I’ve lost 10p. If Colombia win, I’ll have an extra 20p. 
  • Options
    France to get a cricket score? 3-0 after 24 mins 
  • Options
    Morocco suicidal 442. Need to go 541 to tighten the back line up. Philippines did the same (442) thing and crashed out. 
  • Options
    TEL said:
    France to get a cricket score? 3-0 after 24 mins 

A tennis score is looking likely as France have far too much for them.