Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Premier League 22/23

Comments

• Ashley really needs to change his name, he can't still be Young. 
  • He's going to get 40
  • Getting to the point where I’m seriously thinking Haaland may well go down as one of, if not the best player to ever play. He’s simply unstoppable. 
  • CAFCsayer said:
    He's going to get 40
    He is in course for a 100!
  • Great result for Stevie G that 
  • Getting to the point where I’m seriously thinking Haaland may well go down as one of, if not the best player to ever play. He’s simply unstoppable. 
    Steady on. He's no Josh Parker.

Too big, too quick and deadly finishing... don't know how you can defend against him
  • Croydon said:
    Hideous VAR call in the West Ham match 
    Unbelievable decision. Absolutely shocking.

But these don't even really get discussed anymore. People just shrug their shoulders and life goes on.
  • edited September 2022
    Croydon said:
    Hideous VAR call in the West Ham match 
    Dreadful decision and i think it's getting to the point (if it isn't there already) where officials need to be fined or banned for terrible decisions. How can we have the richest league in the world where such inept decisions could ultimately cost a team millions and there are no repercussions and they go unpunished? In the coming days we'll probably get an apology for them from the head of referees or something and then it'll be forgotten about. 

Before VAR they had an excuse, but with VAR there is simply no excuse. I don't see how anyone can watch the West Ham incident and decide that's a foul. Mendy had knocked the ball about 5-6 yards away and then feigned injury when he knew he was stranded.

The Newcastle one v Palace was also dreadful. Willock is clearly pushed into the keeper who isn't getting the ball anyway and then somehow the foul is given against him!

Also just to add, it's not VAR that is the problem here, it's the clueless fuckers sat in a room operating it.
  • Sponsored links:

• The vote for the most stupid yellow card of the week goes to Richarlison - gets it for taking his shirt off after putting the ball in the back of the net which is always ridiculous because no player, knowing the crime for doing so, should ever do that. Then the goal was disallowed and the yellow card cannot be rescinded. 
  • The vote for the most stupid yellow card of the week goes to Richarlison - gets it for taking his shirt off after putting the ball in the back of the net which is always ridiculous because no player, knowing the crime for doing so, should ever do that. Then the goal was disallowed and the yellow card cannot be rescinded. 
    It would be a bit unlucky though to get a booking for "over celebrating" a goal by going too near the crowd (Kane was booked for this midweek) if VAR then ruled it out!

And even more unlucky that yellows and reds still count if the game is abandoned due to the weather!
  • What a game this is so far!
  • Has Graeme Sourness been sacked by Sky because of his “it’s a man’s game” comment?
  • edited September 2022
    Paul Tierney as referee for Manchester United v Arsenal today and he is from Salford, Greater Manchester.
    Lee Mason is on VAR and he is also from Manchester.

After a terrible weekend for referees already...
  • Four and a half minutes for VAR to make a decision there. And it's still debatable as to whether they got it right or not, so what's the point?
  • edited September 2022
    VAR will go down as one of the worst things ever to happen to football. People can argue all they like about how it is utilised in England but it is ruining the game pure and simple. The Brighton goal which was just disallowed just sums up VAR in a nutshell.

Mac Alistair strikes one of the best goals you will ever see, the crowd goes wild and not a single Leicester player has any issues whatsoever. We then have a four and a half minue interlude before deciding a Brighton player's big toe might or might not have been offside. And now all the momentum has gone from the game.

How many great football moments over the years would have been ruled out because someone was half a cm offside? VAR is going to turn so many young fans off the game.

I genuinely think the only reason there isn't more of a clamour to get rid is because so many managers and pundits argued for it's introduction. I'd love to know if there was an anonymous poll now between top flight managers who would want to keep it and who would get rid.
  • That skill from Trossard for the penalty was quality. 

Leicester are going to be in real trouble this season unless they sort their defence out. No doubt they have quality attacking players but when you need to score at least 2 to get something from a game you're going to struggle regardless.

1 point, no clean sheets and conceded 2 or more on 5 occasions.
  • It was offside. And it was more than a few cms. Although that doesn’t matter. Offside is offside. The rules would have to be changed for that not to be offside. The semi automated system being introduced in the next World Cup should improve the handling of these offside issues next season. VAR has vastly reduced the number of incorrect decisions since it was introduced. What is unique about football that makes it the only professional sport that can’t use technology to reduce incorrect referee decisions/calls?
  • Sponsored links:

• I've always thought VAR should be activated as in cricket or tennis, by a team/player actively appealing a decision. Give teams 2 appeals a game, get them wrong and you lose them, get them right and you keep them. If teams want to burn them on marginal penalty decisions, yellows which could be a red etc, that's their choice.

And the concept of umpire's call is a good one too, as it means that in marginal decisions, the decisions stays with the onfield one. Or you could have a margin of error (say 5cm) for offsides, to stop people being offside by a toenail.
  • Cristiano Mcallister
  • edited September 2022
    It was offside. And it was more than a few cms. Although that doesn’t matter. Offside is offside. The rules would have to be changed for that not to be offside. The semi automated system being introduced in the next World Cup should improve the handling of these offside issues next season. VAR has vastly reduced the number of incorrect decisions since it was introduced. What is unique about football that makes it the only professional sport that can’t use technology to reduce incorrect referee decisions/calls?
    At what cost? I can't think of any other professional sport where decisions take so long to be made. I'm a huge fan of cricket and DRS has been a hugely positive addition because decisions are usually made pretty quickly and because it doesn't interrupt the flow of the game. And there are very few decisions in cricket which are open to interpretation, you are either caught or you are not, you are either LBW or you are not. And by and large technology exists which will prove/disprove that within a minute maximum of it being reviewed. Although I don't follow a huge amount of tennis the same principles apply there as well.

That is simply not the case for football and its why VAR does not work for football in its current format. People can float the statistics about how many incorrect decisions it has overturned but the organisations providing those statistics are the ones who have backed the implementation of VAR. They are hardly going to come out and say it's not worked after sinking millions into it.

Another argument for VAR's use is that it means goals end up being allowed which were at first disallowed, however at the risk of ending up with egg on my face I would love to see the figures for how many goals VAR has allowed to stand that would have been disallowed, versus goals it has disallowed which would have been allowed.

I agree with you that an offside is an offside. I have never been a fan of VAR or its introduction and when there was a big debate about goals been disallowed because of offside the season before last it felt very much like managers and the media reaping what they had sown in terms of wanting decisions down to the very millimetre. Then when they got it they were all up in arms.

But four and a half minutes to come to the decision today is absolutely farcical and just encapsulates why VAR needs binning. Football is all about moments and we are fast getting into the territory, if we are not there already, that players and fans don't want to celebrate a goal anymore in case it gets chalked off 5 minutes later.

• It was offside. And it was more than a few cms. Although that doesn’t matter. Offside is offside. The rules would have to be changed for that not to be offside. The semi automated system being introduced in the next World Cup should improve the handling of these offside issues next season. VAR has vastly reduced the number of incorrect decisions since it was introduced. What is unique about football that makes it the only professional sport that can’t use technology to reduce incorrect referee decisions/calls?
    It was that far offside it took them over 4 minutes and the ref viewing the monitor to decide it was offside. Clear and obvious.
  • edited September 2022
    Why the fuck does the referee need to go and review this goal???

Eriksen is clearly fouled

Edit: Jesus wept that took far too long
  • Paul Tierney as referee for Manchester United v Arsenal today and he is from Salford, Greater Manchester.

And it begins. 

There would be a foul every 20 seconds in a match if contact like that is a foul. 
  • Such a soft “foul” to rule a goal out on
  • Paul Tierney as referee for Manchester United v Arsenal today and he is from Salford, Greater Manchester.

And it begins. 

There would be a foul every 20 seconds in a match if contact like that is a foul. 
    Oh just shut the fuck up now... Take your Arsenal bias elsewhere
  • Contact doesn’t mean a foul. Soft. 
  • Why the fuck does the referee need to go and review this goal???

Eriksen is clearly fouled
    I'm really not sure he was - apart from the push, the contact with the knee on the thigh and the foot on the shin and the fact that Odegaard never actually touched the ball, I couldn't see anything wrong with the challenge.